Cracked Alloy Rim- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Cracked Alloy Rim

Hi there, I managed to crack my rim. I am relatively new to MTB and am a little curious as to how this happened. Nothing aggressive happened to make me think I damaged my rim, someone I was riding with pointed it out, and now I am wondering how it happened, and if warranty would possibly replace it?

The bike is a 2020 Kona Big Honzo. I've only had the bike for 2 months, and it was purchased new from a LBS.The crack proceeds on both sides of the spoke, and the spoke is now loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked Alloy Rim-20200625_215710.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If I'm not mistaken that usually only happens if the wheel was built with to much spoke tension. Could also be a quality control issue with the rim itself.

I'm sure a more experience wheel builder will weigh in soon but I'd definitely say it should be warrantied if it's only 2 months old.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    If I'm not mistaken that usually only happens if the wheel was built with to much spoke tension. Could also be a quality control issue with the rim itself.

I'm sure a more experience wheel builder will weigh in soon but I'd definitely say it should be warrantied if it's only 2 months old.
    Yep, too high of overall tension, or imbalanced tension, or flaw with the rim. I'm not usually one to cry warranty, but at 2 months this is a warranty issue. Contact your lbs

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk