Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489

    Could someone help me with etrto for bontrager xr4 team issue, 27.5x2.4

    i have purchased 2 new xr4 trl team issue tires in 27.5x2.4
    i mainly purchased the tire for good reviews and true 2.4 volume. the tires i got however are far from 2.4 volume, in fact it is even narrower than my dhr2 in 2.35 version.
    i measured the casing and it is 56mm wide, i believe it should be 61mm? have they changed something about these tires sizing? or is the tire going to stretch over time? or is it that my rim width is too narrow. 35e 29i
    confused.

    would also like to know what etrto have people with 2.4"xr4 stamped on the sidewall.
    mine has 58-584, which is barely 2.3"
    Etrto for this specific size is not listed on trek site, while all other sizes are listed.
    Just trying to figure out that maybe these tires i got ate mislabeled?
    thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sethd513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    265
    Iíve always measured to the tread but idk which is the specific. When I got my se5 2.6 it was suppose to be 66mm and came up somewhere around 64. Iím sure at this point itís stretched and is 66


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    mtbpete
    Reputation: changingleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,089
    A lot of tires don't measure up to their states specs. It's unlikely that they were mislabeled. What's more likely is that they are all mislabeled, on purpose or they are using the tread width as the measurement.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    People were reporting that these are true to size measuring over 60mm casing, thats why i am wondering.
    Last edited by brankulo; 6 Days Ago at 07:26 AM.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    405
    I have read the 2.4 is a tad small. 2.6 to 3 are suppose to be spot on. I have a 29x3 XR2 and it's 3 at the casing and a hair over on the tread. I'm also running 36mm rims.

    Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    If the ETRTO on the tire is 58-584, then calling it a 27.5 x 2.4 is plain wrong; it's a 2.3. I happened to be looking at that tire on Trek's website and noticed the ETRTO for the 2.4 was missing from the website but couldn't understand it. All the other sizes were true to the stated sizes. It's not because of your rims and it's not going to stretch to be 2.4. As suggested above, it sounds like it was mislabeled on purpose. The entire reason for ETRTO measurements was that companies historically mis-stated the tire widths to make the stated weights look more impressive. On the positive side, if a 2.3 tire bothers you, Bontrager has a 30-day unlimited return policy. Otherwise, based on the reviews you have nice set of 27.5 x 2.3 tires.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    I contacted Trek customer service to ask about this, because I was interested in the XR4. I asked about ETRTO for the XR4 and SE4 27.5 x 2.4 and was told itís 61-584. Thatís as it should be for 2.4Ē width. I canít understand why your tires are labeled 58-584. I canít even find an XR tire thatís labeled 2.3 or 58-584. If it bothers you, follow up with the seller. If you do, please post the response because this sounds weird.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    thats weird, i was in local bikeshop today and the etrto on this same tire was 58-584, same as mine. who did you call at trek? i might give them a call too.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    here is the picture of my tire. you can clearly see tire size next to etrto.
    btw, same etrto was stamped on SE4 version.
    Could someone help me with etrto for bontrager xr4 team issue, 27.5x2.4-img_1042.jpg

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Thatís really bizarre. I chated with a customer service rep named Ethan. He didnít have the information on hand. He told me heíd check and get back to me. When he did, he stated he ďwas able to confirm that both the XR4 and SE4 tires in the 27.5 x 2.4Ē sizes are measured as 61-584 for ETRTO.Ē

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    did you use the chat function on trek website? if so i just did too, and he told me same thing, then i asked him where can i see this info on the website, he sait they are having issue with data or something, so i kept asking him where did he get the # from. eventually he admitted he just converted 2.4" to mm. i would really like to someone with this tire, who measured over 60mm casing to chime in and tell us etrto on his tire.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Yup thatís exactly what I did. I used the chat on the Trek website. Itís nice to hear that he totally bsíd me on the number. Based on the pic of your tire, itís pretty safe to say the ETRTO is 58-584, even though they claim itís a 2.4Ē wide tire.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    did you use the chat function on trek website? if so i just did too, and he told me same thing, then i asked him where can i see this info on the website, he sait they are having issue with data or something, so i kept asking him where did he get the # from. eventually he admitted he just converted 2.4" to mm. i would really like to someone with this tire, who measured over 60mm casing to chime in and tell us etrto on his tire.
    Do you mind if I use the photo you posted? Iím annoyed the rep flat-out lied to me and might use the photo to follow up with Trek.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    yeah, take it, let us know what they say

  15. #15
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,716
    There's a set for sale on Pinkbike where the etrto of 58 is clearly visible.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    309
    now when you guys say 58 is the width, is this width sidewall to sidewall or is it including if the side lugs are protruding beyond sidewall?

  17. #17
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,716
    cavo, I went to the ETRTO website to find that out but their download page just gave me a bunch of unhelpful rubbish.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    Be good to know if its casing ot knobs

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,547
    Here is my xr4 27.5x2.4 team issue. Should be the same tire you have.

    It does say 58-584 etrto however you see it is exactly true to size at the shoulder knob on a 29mm inner width rim. (side note - bontrager line 30 Pro is actually 29mm. Says so in the documents as well. Guess "line 29 pro" wasn't a cool name...)

    Anyway I consider this average width and larger than average height and volume, based on other tires I've run. (side note #2 the dismounted tire to the right is a goma 26x2.4 and it's freaking huge.)

    If your tire isn't this big then maybe something is wrong. I know there was a batch that were 2.35 labeled 2.55 but I thought they were the older tread pattern.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,547
    I can see, though, that your graphics/lettering is different than mine.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Here is my xr4 27.5x2.4 team issue. Should be the same tire you have.

    It does say 58-584 etrto however you see it is exactly true to size at the shoulder knob on a 29mm inner width rim. (side note - bontrager line 30 Pro is actually 29mm. Says so in the documents as well. Guess "line 29 pro" wasn't a cool name...)

    Anyway I consider this average width and larger than average height and volume, based on other tires I've run. (side note #2 the dismounted tire to the right is a goma 26x2.4 and it's freaking huge.)

    If your tire isn't this big then maybe something is wrong. I know there was a batch that were 2.35 labeled 2.55 but I thought they were the older tread pattern.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Looks like your caliper has daylight between the jaws. At least do a fake zero so it doesn't look so obvious.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Looks like your caliper has daylight between the jaws. At least do a fake zero so it doesn't look so obvious.
    Dude. I'm holding it with one hand, my phone with the other, and trying to push the shutter with my thumb. I zeroed it.

    Are you still butt hurt about the fact you haven't figured out how a tire hits the chainring if you don't have boost?

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    309
    it does look like there is gap to the lugs on either side, which could make the missing 3mm difference. the graphics do look different though. maybe different model year?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    it does look like there is gap to the lugs on either side, which could make the missing 3mm difference. the graphics do look different though. maybe different model year?
    There is not. It's a blurry, one handed, shitty photo but the caliper is in contact with the knobs. It is actually touching the knobs in front of where you're looking if you think you see a gap.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    Yeah, mine have different graphics. Weird, i just purchased them recently. I was also measuring casing but side knobs dont protrude past so i dont think they will get me to 61mm, will check tomorrow. Mine are also on 29i rims

  26. #26
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Dude. I'm holding it with one hand, my phone with the other, and trying to push the shutter with my thumb. I zeroed it.

    Are you still butt hurt about the fact you haven't figured out how a tire hits the chainring if you don't have boost?

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    oh you're one to talk!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    oh you're one to talk!
    LOL you came out guns blazing, rude as hell, and calling me names but you're wrong in both threads.

    I explained above that there is no gap, but I understand how someone might think that based on the admittedly poor quality pic. You could have asked a question about the picture in many ways other than accusing me of posting a bogus picture.

    I HAVE NOTHING TO GAIN BY SUBMITTING AN INTENTIONALLY MISLEADING PICTURE. Do you get that? I have no stake in Trek/Bontrager, I don't sell their products, and if they've made some defective tires, I want to help the OP. I am not blindly loyal to Trek or any other brand - I'm just stating (correctly and truthfully) that my XR4 is correctly sized and I included my rim size because it is relevant.

    I know how to use a caliper. I zeroed it, selected inches, and brought it gently into contact with the shoulder knobs. I then tried to take a picture while the bike is on a bike rack, higher than my head. Attached is where the caliper is touching the knobs. BTW, I did note that the OP said he measured at a sidewall. I didn't.Could someone help me with etrto for bontrager xr4 team issue, 27.5x2.4-capture.jpg

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    i did remeasure today to the knobs and got 58mm, so no change there. again my side knobs do not go past the casing, do yours?

    just by looking at the tire mounted, it looks small, at least compared to dhrII in 2.35 and 2.4 flavors that i currently run.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    669
    What the heck? The website as ETRTO 61-584
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/13585/

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i did remeasure today to the knobs and got 58mm, so no change there. again my side knobs do not go past the casing, do yours?

    just by looking at the tire mounted, it looks small, at least compared to dhrII in 2.35 and 2.4 flavors that i currently run.
    I'll measure tonight and you'll just have to trust me as clearly I fail at taking pics.

    I have not run a DHR2 or DHF in 27.5. I did use them in 26" - only finally went to 27.5 earlier this year. The DHR2 and DHF 26x2.3 were pretty low volume and more like 2.25 width. I put this 27.5x2.4 XR4 next to a 27.5 DHF 2.5 this summer but didn't have calipers - the DHF was on a bike my brother rented in Colorado. The XR4 was not small.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brankulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,489
    they must have updated it recently, it was not there yesterday for sure and it is not for sure what is stamped on the tire. i spent an hour today at LBS with the owner looking at and measuring trek bikes with xr4 2.4 tires. these were ones with grey logo, not like mine that have white logos. they all were in 60-61mm width range and we checked all etrtos were 58-584. then we went ahead and mounted 2 of brand new xr4 2.4s (grey logos) on i30 wheel set, measured and got 58mm.
    so there you go. only think that would explain is that the tire stretches over time to 61mm.
    otherwise i am lost.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    691
    Just go ride your bikes....

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    The ETRTO measurement is supposed to be casing, under a specified pressure and after 24 hrs of being inflated. I couldnít get the actual standard (the manual costs more than a set of Schwalbe tires) but it is described in this Mavic post: THE RIGHT TYRE WIDTH ON THE RIGHT RIM WIDTH - Engineerstalk : Engineerstalk

    Actual width isnít going to match ETRTO because actual width is a function of a number of variables. The ETRTO is still valuable for comparing tires and for getting a sense whether a tire runs narrow, wide or spot on. Still, actual measurement shouldnít vary from the ETRTO by 3 mm unless the conditions are whacked.

    Trek definitely changed the website today because yesterday there was no ETRTO information for the 27 x 2.4 XR4 or SE4. As noted, today the ETRTO is listed as 61-584. That conflicts with brankuloís picture. Iíd previously asked Trek customer service to explain the apparent conflict between what itís claiming is the ETRTO and what is shown in the picture. I didnít get a response. There are worse things in the world than a tire measuring 2.3Ē wide. But, what troubles me is the lack of transparency and information. Consumers should be able to obtain product information and be able to rely on it in making decisions. After that whatever works for you is all good.

  34. #34
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    LOL you came out guns blazing, rude as hell, and calling me names but you're wrong in both threads.

    I explained above that there is no gap, but I understand how someone might think that based on the admittedly poor quality pic. You could have asked a question about the picture in many ways other than accusing me of posting a bogus picture.

    I HAVE NOTHING TO GAIN BY SUBMITTING AN INTENTIONALLY MISLEADING PICTURE. Do you get that? I have no stake in Trek/Bontrager, I don't sell their products, and if they've made some defective tires, I want to help the OP. I am not blindly loyal to Trek or any other brand - I'm just stating (correctly and truthfully) that my XR4 is correctly sized and I included my rim size because it is relevant.

    I know how to use a caliper. I zeroed it, selected inches, and brought it gently into contact with the shoulder knobs. I then tried to take a picture while the bike is on a bike rack, higher than my head. Attached is where the caliper is touching the knobs. BTW, I did note that the OP said he measured at a sidewall. I didn't.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	1224168
    lol, alright I'll give you this one. But not the boost one. That's just crazy talk.

    I can't figure out if ISO 5775-1 is measured on casing or knobs but I suspect knobs because the objective is for tire in frame fitment according to Wikipedia.

    Tire makers publish the size on their tires but you have to pay 118 CHF to get the text of the standard to see what those numbers mean. I'm not going to buy it because I'd be too tempted to put it on the piratebay.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    they must have updated it recently, it was not there yesterday for sure and it is not for sure what is stamped on the tire. i spent an hour today at LBS with the owner looking at and measuring trek bikes with xr4 2.4 tires. these were ones with grey logo, not like mine that have white logos. they all were in 60-61mm width range and we checked all etrtos were 58-584. then we went ahead and mounted 2 of brand new xr4 2.4s (grey logos) on i30 wheel set, measured and got 58mm.
    so there you go. only think that would explain is that the tire stretches over time to 61mm.
    otherwise i am lost.
    Trek responded to my question and after some emails back and forth, they confirmed the ETRTO is 58-584, which is a casing measurement under the specified ETRTO methodology (for a given tire width itís mounted to a specified rim width inflated to a specified pressure, all of which vary based on size, and left to sit for 24 hrs). Thus, your tire is right on. The tread width measures 2.4Ē according to Trek, which is why itís labeled as such. This way, according to Trek, a customer has an idea whether thereís clearance to fit the tire.

    I was initially told the ETRTO is 61-584 and the website indeed now indicates that. The person I initially dealt with suggested your tire may be a warranty issue. However, another person reached out to me and corrected that. 58-584 is indeed correct. Donít be surprised if the website is updated. Trek has been very responsive to this albeit a bit confused. If the website isnít updated, though, something is wrong.

    Hereís the big question, how do the tires ride?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by shortnangry View Post
    Hereís the big question, how do the tires ride?
    This is the only thing that really matters here...

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone using Bontrager SE4 or XR4 27.5X2.6?
    By jgdblue in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2018, 11:28 AM
  2. Bontrager Tires - XR4 Expert vs XR4 Team Issue
    By V8Interceptor in forum Trek
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2015, 04:12 AM
  3. Bontrager xr4's team issue....
    By stangbang in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 09:58 PM
  4. Bontrager XR4 Comp vs. XR4 Team Issue vs. ???
    By bluntrager in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 06:02 AM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 03:42 PM

Members who have read this thread: 49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.