Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

New question here. Converting Hub with XD Driver back to Shimano/SRAM Standard Freehub Body

I have an extra wheelset... SRAM hubs and Easton AR27 rims. This wheelset came stock on my Santa Cruz Hightower which runs 1x11. I want to use this wheelset in a bike I'm building for my son. All of my other components are 1x10 based... I'm pretty sure I should be able to remove the XD driver from my SRAM rear hub and replace it with a standard Shimano/SRAM freehub body. This will allow me to build my son's new bike up as a 1x10, using my existing components. Can anyone point me to a thread or any info that might shed some light on this? Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am sure it can be done.....but why not just bite the bullet, get the 11 speed shifter, derailleur and cassette and keep everything on the same standard as your bike? The lower end stuff is not that expensive. I have gone down the road of different standards on my wife's bike and it always comes back to bite you when you need to borrow a wheel or want to switch something out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_T View Post
    but why not just bite the bullet, get the 11 speed shifter, derailleur and cassette and keep everything on the same standard as your bike?
    Thought about this but SRAM GX level components would run around $250 for shifter, der and cassette. That's money I could put towards the fork. I already have an XT 10 speed shifter and a Zee rear der. Both are in near new condition.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    This is timely, any idea of a source for the standard Shimano hub driver and can the Shimano driver plug and play with an XD compatible hub?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RVbldr View Post
    This is timely, any idea of a source for the standard Shimano hub driver and can the Shimano driver plug and play with an XD compatible hub?
    You should have gotten both drivers with your wheels, I've bought three sets of wheels lately and they came with both. But the key is these are hub specific, so you need to know what hub design you have and get a driver from that manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Cycljunkie, I'm in the same position with the same wheelset (Easton arc 27 off a SC Bronson) with sram hubs currently with xd 11 speed driver installed.
    Did you ever figure out how to get a 9/10 speed free hub so you could run the existing drivetrain parts you have for your son?

Quote Originally Posted by tntsweeper View Post
    Cycljunkie, I'm in the same position with the same wheelset (Easton arc 27 off a SC Bronson) with sram hubs currently with xd 11 speed driver installed.
    Did you ever figure out how to get a 9/10 speed free hub so you could run the existing drivetrain parts you have for your son?
    Ended up selling the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tntsweeper View Post
    My guess is that your rear hub is: SRAM MTH-746
    This should work for you: SRAM MTH-746 Freehub Body > Components > Wheel Parts > Freehub Bodies | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    One kicker about this conversion that Jension freehub did not come with the HG endcap. The XD endcap leaves a good 3mm of lateral play and I have yet to find a place to by the HG endcap.

SRAM makes the correct endcap since it comes on hubs that are already shimano 10/11 speed freehub but why not sell it if you can buy the freehub.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    One kicker about this conversion that Jension freehub did not come with the HG endcap. The XD endcap leaves a good 3mm of lateral play and I have yet to find a place to by the HG endcap.

SRAM makes the correct endcap since it comes on hubs that are already shimano 10/11 speed freehub but why not sell it if you can buy the freehub.
    I've got a two regular freehubs with endcap available that will work with the SRAM 746 hubs as I've just converted the wheelsets on two new bikes to XD drivers.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I heard back from Jenson where I bought my freebody from and a bit of a frustrating answer.

You have to buy the whole axle assembly from SRAM to get the endcap since SRAM does not sell just the endcap. Yet they sell just the freebody, how silly is that?

So for those of you looking to convert from XD to HG or HG to XD you might want to ask before you buy a freebody if it comes with the needed endcap for the conversion.
    Last edited by KenPsz; 12-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    6thElement thank you for the part it fit like a glove.

For those of you wanting to convert something interesting.

The part I got from 6thElement fit very differently, it came off a factor SRAM HG equipped hub, than the part I bought from Jenson. So not only did I get the correct endcap I got the correct freehub.

Important part is the part number the parts I got from 6thElement were spot on the ones from Jenson not so much, this notion that these freehubs can fit multiple hubs seems to be total B.S. The "generic parts" kinda work and kinda fit but not really, shame on SRAM for this. I know they want people using their XD standard but come on not even having bike shops sell the right parts or having them available at all? XD cost to much and there are limited options but the hubs seem OK, this is Shimano type of stuff from back in the day.

Sorry for the rant but this conversion has been a real pain.

Quote Originally Posted by KenPsz View Post
    6thElement thank you for the part it fit like a glove.

For those of you wanting to convert something interesting.

The part I got from 6thElement fit very differently, it came off a factor SRAM HG equipped hub, than the part I bought from Jenson. So not only did I get the correct endcap I got the correct freehub.

Important part is the part number the parts I got from 6thElement were spot on the ones from Jenson not so much, this notion that these freehubs can fit multiple hubs seems to be total B.S. The "generic parts" kinda work and kinda fit but not really, shame on SRAM for this. I know they want people using their XD standard but come on not even having bike shops sell the right parts or having them available at all? XD cost to much and there are limited options but the hubs seem OK, this is Shimano type of stuff from back in the day.

Sorry for the rant but this conversion has been a real pain.
    Glad to hear you're working and all is good.
    Your new freehub/endcap was actually a take off from a Formula fat bike hub from my wife's new Kona Wozo.

To replace our HG freehubs with XD I'd bought a SRAM 746 XD freehub (which arrived black, pictures from the listing were gray) and a Formula freehub for Specialized wheels as from careful checking I'd worked out they would work.

I still have another HG freehub and endcap to list for sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Encaps for XD driver

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    I've got a two regular freehubs with endcap available that will work with the SRAM 746 hubs as I've just converted the wheelsets on two new bikes to XD drivers.
    Iím looking to convert my rear hub from Shimano to xd. Ordered the xd driver from Jenson. Where did you get the xd end caps?

Quote Originally Posted by agonter View Post
    Iím looking to convert my rear hub from Shimano to xd. Ordered the xd driver from Jenson. Where did you get the xd end caps?
    I bought one freehub from ebay and the other from here, both came with the end cap. Price is $10 more than I paid.

https://www.amaincycling.com/special...100006/p629331