mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Converting to boost spacing (and vice versa) - Advice needed

I just bought a new bike that came with Stan's Neo hub (boost spacing) and my previous bike has regular spacing (Hope Pro 4 hub). I have a carbon front wheel on my old bike that I am wondering if I can easily swap over to the new bike. It looks like there are conversion kits available for the Hope Pro 4 hub to convert that to boost, but then it says you have to true the wheel again (I would have to get the bike shop to do this). Also, is it possible to convert the Stan's Neo hub back to regular spacing? is it just a matter of changing the end caps?

Assuming this is all possible, would you go through with the hassle if you were me? I definitely liked the carbon wheel on my old bike but the Stan's Flow MK3 rim and Stan's Neo hub on my new bike is a pretty solid option too. Therefore, wondering if I should just stick with the new Stan's wheel regardless.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

Having a nice day!
    Pretty easy and inexpensive to convert your existing carbon front if you like it. Not really possible to convert a boost hub to non-boost width.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks. That was my initial thought (before the bike arrived) but when I saw the end caps on the hub I figured it might be possible but I guess not.

Planning on selling my old bike and can't sell it without a front wheel so will probably just stick with the Stan's wheel on my new bike and leave the carbon one on the old bike. Stupid changing hub standards!!

Barely in control
    My hardtail is 142 but I just gave the dropouts a little pull and slid a boost in there with new boost length axle. Going on a year now and can't find anything wrong with it. So that's how I convert to boost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's pretty hilarious! Not surprising I guess... it' only a few mm's