Continental Der Kaiser Projekt Tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Continental Der Kaiser Projekt Tire

Anyone here use the Continental Der Kaiser Projekt tire? How do you like it? What types of terrain does it excel in? Where has it not done well? Type of sidewall? Front/Back?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    it's an incredible good tire. i like it way more than a DHF or magic mary. more braking grip, better rolling resistance.
    but as with all other things, 100 peoples, 100 different reactions.
    weight wise its about the same as a DHF, the wt DHF is a bit wider
    Bird zero AM with mt7 danny mcaskill, eagle nextie and some fun bits

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaterra View Post
    it's an incredible good tire. i like it way more than a DHF or magic mary. more braking grip, better rolling resistance.
    but as with all other things, 100 peoples, 100 different reactions.
    weight wise its about the same as a DHF, the wt DHF is a bit wider
    Thank you for your reply!

1) What type of terrain does it excel in?
    2) Is there certain types of terrain it did not do well in?
    3) Did you run it front or back?
    4) Type of sidewall, Protection apex, apex?
    5) What other tire did you pair it with? Did it work well?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail1416 View Post
    Thank you for your reply!

1) What type of terrain does it excel in?
    2) Is there certain types of terrain it did not do well in?
    3) Did you run it front or back?
    4) Type of sidewall, Protection apex, apex?
    5) What other tire did you pair it with? Did it work well?
    I've also been interested in this tire, and even more so the the der Baron projekt. I'll add a couple questions...

1) How does the cornering compare to the MM and DHF?

2) How's the tubeless setup? Several reviews have mentioned poor tubeless performance

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Robertson
    Ok I'll bite. I've run both the newer Kaiser and Baron.

Kaiser: pretty fast rolling due to ramped center knobs. Great in dry/rocky conditions and loose over hard, ok in loose, not so great in wet (packs up because of how tightly spaced the knobs are)

Baron: not as fast rolling. Decent in dry/rocky and loose over hard, great in loose conditions, very great in wet (clears amazingly)

For both: protection apex casing, which I found slightly tougher than Maxxis Exo. Tubeless set up was easy. Kaiser corners more similar to a DHF, Baron more to MM (though less knob squirm on hardpack due to shorter knobs). The best thing about this is they last forever, wear is really really good with their compound. I would run Kaiser front, TK rear on shorter travel bike and Baron front, Kaiser rear on longer travel bike. I would still be on these tires but they aren't compatible with my (even more beloved) We are one wheels

mtbr member
    Sure Iíll chime in.

Rpearce pretty much nails it. Baron is currently my favorite front tire for riding here in the PNW. Casing (which is new and should address the issues with tubeless setup) is great, tougher than EXO but not much heavier, and nice and supple to conform to the trail and give great grip on roots and rocks. Lugs are big enough to dig in but donít squirm on harder surfaces. Wear is great as stated, and the Black Chili has really impressive grip on wet roots and rocks. I think maybe the fact that the main body of the tire (between lugs) is textured rather just smooth contributes to this. Itís a great size, and has a great shape on wider rims (running mine on an Ibis S35).

Kaiser is more of a dry-conditions tire as a front, would be great in a bike park anywhere with a lot of hardpack or rocky conditions. Rolls faster but has a bit less grip particularly in wet/loose conditions as it doesnít dig in quite a well. Iím running it as a rear tire with the Baron up front and absolutely love this combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I would still be on these tires but they aren't compatible with my (even more beloved) We are one wheels
    Just curious, how are the tires incompatible with the We Are One wheels?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ok I'll bite. I've run both the newer Kaiser and Baron.

Kaiser: pretty fast rolling due to ramped center knobs. Great in dry/rocky conditions and loose over hard, ok in loose, not so great in wet (packs up because of how tightly spaced the knobs are)

Baron: not as fast rolling. Decent in dry/rocky and loose over hard, great in loose conditions, very great in wet (clears amazingly)

For both: protection apex casing, which I found slightly tougher than Maxxis Exo. Tubeless set up was easy. Kaiser corners more similar to a DHF, Baron more to MM (though less knob squirm on hardpack due to shorter knobs). The best thing about this is they last forever, wear is really really good with their compound. I would run Kaiser front, TK rear on shorter travel bike and Baron front, Kaiser rear on longer travel bike. I would still be on these tires but they aren't compatible with my (even more beloved) We are one wheels
    Thanks! I'm a little confused about one thing though... you mentioned that tubeless setup was easy... but they're not compatible with your wr1 rims... what's that about? Could you please elaborate?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    Sure Iíll chime in.

Rpearce pretty much nails it. Baron is currently my favorite front tire for riding here in the PNW. Casing (which is new and should address the issues with tubeless setup) is great, tougher than EXO but not much heavier, and nice and supple to conform to the trail and give great grip on roots and rocks. Lugs are big enough to dig in but donít squirm on harder surfaces. Wear is great as stated, and the Black Chili has really impressive grip on wet roots and rocks. I think maybe the fact that the main body of the tire (between lugs) is textured rather just smooth contributes to this. Itís a great size, and has a great shape on wider rims (running mine on an Ibis S35).

Kaiser is more of a dry-conditions tire as a front, would be great in a bike park anywhere with a lot of hardpack or rocky conditions. Rolls faster but has a bit less grip particularly in wet/loose conditions as it doesnít dig in quite a well. Iím running it as a rear tire with the Baron up front and absolutely love this combo.
    Thanks. So, there's an updated casing that addressed the tubeless issues that I heard about? Do you know when that change happened, or how I could differentiate between the old and new versions when ordering online?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    Thanks. So, there's an updated casing that addressed the tubeless issues that I heard about? Do you know when that change happened, or how I could differentiate between the old and new versions when ordering online?

The current preferred version is called Protection Apex. Not certain when that update happened, I believe it was over a year ago. I also donít have definitive info on whether this solves the tubeless issues, but I can say that I have had no issues whatsoever with the 2 Der Barons and 2 Der Kaisers I have owned with Protection Apex casing.

Robertson
    Apparently Conti tires don't work with hookless rims; I asked WR1 directly and they told me Contis are not compatible with their rims (the tires can blow off the rims once pressurized) but every other brand works

mtbr member
    Apparently Conti tires don't work with hookless rims; I asked WR1 directly and they told me Contis are not compatible with their rims (the tires can blow off the rims once pressurized) but every other brand works
    Recently?

Conti had a bad run of tires a few years ago with all sorts of weird failures, from blowoffs to leaks, to out of spec beads etc, etc. I wonder if WAO's statement was regarding the older models...

Nothing to add about the der baron/kaiser, but im still blown away by my cross king as a rear. It has a LOT more traction than what conti seems to suggest. Its nice to see conti being talked about again, I think their new lineup is incredible. I'm done with maxxis and absolutely beyond done with bontrager tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Recently?

Conti had a bad run of tires a few years ago with all sorts of weird failures, from blowoffs to leaks, to out of spec beads etc, etc. I wonder if WAO's statement was regarding the older models...

Nothing to add about the der baron/kaiser, but im still blown away by my cross king as a rear. It has a LOT more traction than what conti seems to suggest. Its nice to see conti being talked about again, I think their new lineup is incredible. I'm done with maxxis and absolutely beyond done with bontrager tires.
    Only Conti mtb tire I've ever owned was a x-king 2.4 protection rear (same tread as new cross king). I liked it for what it was, aside from riding a bit harshly, but it had to be retired early as it developed a bad wobble in the casing.

mtbr member
    Ok, so definitely not personal experience here...but Blake Samson did the Megavalanche (2019) on Der Kaiser's...on a hardtail. He's got the full run up on YT, and that ride covered everything I could think of. Snow, mud, flow, chunk, even some short sections of tarmac. He didn't look slow.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    AFAIK all my rims are hookless (carbon) and Iíve had no issues. This sounds like probably dated info or maybe paranoia on WROís part related to some of the casing issues Conti had some years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Handlebar View Post
    Ok, so definitely not personal experience here...but Blake Samson did the Megavalanche (2019) on Der Kaiser's...on a hardtail. He's got the full run up on YT, and that ride covered everything I could think of. Snow, mud, flow, chunk, even some short sections of tarmac. He didn't look slow.
    Thank you for mentioning this. Link below. Pretty impressive in rough terrain!There are other vids available of the entire race and one just specifically on the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEGdonFCL7A (Blakes Commentary on the race)

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    AFAIK all my rims are hookless (carbon) and Iíve had no issues. This sounds like probably dated info or maybe paranoia on WROís part related to some of the casing issues Conti had some years ago.
    It was mentioned in this review from 2018: https://reviews.mtbr.com/we-are-one-agent-review

mtbr member
    It was mentioned in this review from 2018: https://reviews.mtbr.com/we-are-one-agent-review
    I think (based on my experience) that this is an old issue that's been remedied with the new Protection Apex casing. In fact, the Baron I installed on an Ibis S35 rim was QUITE tight, and I'm pretty confident you couldn't blow that thing off the rim if you tried. More profanity than usual was required to get it onto the rim with a light weight insert inside. Part of this is the rim design (wide, asymmetric and low-profile so the central channel where the bead sits prior to inflation is quite shallow) but the Barons are definitely good and tight. I would not worry about this in the least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am not sure if Continental updated Der Baron 2.4 Projekt since end of 2018 (2.9x2.4, ProtecTion Apex), but I did have a problem back then with Ibis i35 hookless carbon rims - tire just blew off the rim, while sitting on it after 1 or 2 rides. But I really liked it for winter conditions - it was rolling slow, but grip was very good (around freezing temperature, mix of snow/mud/ice). If they would release 2.5-2-6 version and improve design to fully support hookless rims - definitely would recommend it.

PS. If I am not mistaken, for road tires Continental officially states that it does not support hookless rims for tubeless road tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    OP here.

I purchased a preowned 2016 27.5, 150mm travel Stanton Switchback hardtail last Fall and have been getting my feet wet learning to bike again.

Yesterday i made my first bike tire purchase of 3 tires. Going to try the following to be used in the future.

We'll see how this works out.

Arid/Rocky Terrain Set Up
    Der Kaiser Projekt 26"x2.4 Protection Apex sidewall-Front
    Trail King 26"x2.4 Protection Apex sidewall-Rear

Mild terrain/non rocky Set Up
    Trail King 26"x2.4 Protection Apex sidewall-Front
    Cross King 26"x2.3 Protection sidewall-Rear