Conti users need your input on these tires....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Conti users need your input on these tires....

I am looking for a rear tire, I will be getting the ones with the DuraSkin ProTection. Can you tell me how well they hold up to rocky terrain and how they handle on loose to hard pack? How about rolling resistance?

1. Escape 2.1
    2. Vapor 2.1
    3. Explorer 2.1

Thanks

mtbr member
    Well I've only used the Explorer. Its a very good all around tire. Low rolling resistance too. The Escape has a fairly similar tread IMO. The Vapor is quite different though.

From the look of the Vapor, it looks like it would be good on hardpack and have fairly low RR. It might be better on sharp rock than the other two due to the wider, flatter knobs. The knobs of the other two seem like they would be more prone to being torn off on sharp rocks. I've never used my Explorer on rocks, so I don't know for sure. The Vapor might not be as good on soft dirt or loam where knob penetration is needed.

Jul 2005
    Hi,
    I've been on my second Vapor 2.1 UST.
    I use it in the rear wheel (Gravity 2.3 UST @ front wheel) and it is a great tire!
    Only have issues with the ease they go away... if you ride pavement or urban assualt they will last very little...

On the other stuff, it rocks! No probs with flat's, no probs with mounting ust on crossmax enduro's.
    price could be better, but is on par with rest of manufacturer's, perhaps cheaper than other UST tire's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by placilla
    I am looking for a rear tire, I will be getting the ones with the DuraSkin ProTection. Can you tell me how well they hold up to rocky terrain and how they handle on loose to hard pack? How about rolling resistance?

1. Escape 2.1
    2. Vapor 2.1
    3. Explorer 2.1

Thanks
    I can only speak of Conti's Twister (which you won't want for those conditions - trust me!) and the Explorer.

Rocky terrain? No problem, but i've only experienced rock garden's, not miles of rocks.
    Hard pack? Give 'er!
    Loose pack? Give 'er, but keep your eyes open. These tires bite well.
    Rolling resistance? Low (meaning good/fast), especially given their traction.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. MY version of what Panaracer's Fire XC Pro is to sooooo many other's - just better in every way. (yes, a tire I can say I loooove)

Care to mention what rear tire you are replacing?
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Phytons Air light............

I am using Phytons Air light, but I have had problems with sidewall cuts. That's why I am looking for a tire with some sidewall protection. I had the Escape and vapor 1-2, because on conti's web site they recommend them two as better rear tires. But, from what I have read everyone loves the explorers. At this time, I am leaning towards the explorers, I have not heard much about the other two.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    I can only speak of Conti's Twister (which you won't want for those conditions - trust me!) and the Explorer.

Rocky terrain? No problem, but i've only experienced rock garden's, not miles of rocks.
    Hard pack? Give 'er!
    Loose pack? Give 'er, but keep your eyes open. These tires bite well.
    Rolling resistance? Low (meaning good/fast), especially given their traction.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. MY version of what Panaracer's Fire XC Pro is to sooooo many other's - just better in every way. (yes, a tire I can say I loooove)

Care to mention what rear tire you are replacing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have only used the Explorer's out of those three and for the terrain I have around here they are pretty much attrocious. They don't give that much traction on the loose, steep climbs and they wear very, very rapidly compared to a lot of other tires I've used. They are very fast rolling but if you have any technical, rocky areas they are extremely vulnerable to pinch flats. I had one on the back for an 8 hour race that I did in October and I pinch-flatted twice during the race even with running the tires at 40 psi. If you are very lightweight and are running on singletrack that isn't very rocky they may work well for you, but in Norcal I'd give the tire away if I was given another in a swag giveaway like how I got the last one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Will also add that a friend of mine really loves the Survival pros which are much more durable on this terrain, are fairly lightweight and fast rolling, and give much better traction when the going gets steep.

Members who have read this thread: 0