Confused about Trail King and new Rubber Queen- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Confused about Trail King and new Rubber Queen

Hi,

I am confused with the new Continental tire line-up. I have an 2009 Rubber Queen 2.4, which I love for DH run, but that's is a little on the heavy side for XC/AM. I never bought the RQ 2.2, because it wasn't available in BC.
    I think that in 2010, Continental changed the name of the Rubber Queen and called it the Trail King. It also created a 2.2 version of it that used BC. A few weeks ago, I went to the Continental website to look for the confirmation of that the 2.2 was indeed available in BC, only to find that the Trail King is nowhere to be found on the website. Instead, it looks like the Rubber Queen is back and available in 2.2 with BC.

Am I missing something? Am I the only one confused?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond
    Hi,

I am confused with the new Continental tire line-up. I have an 2009 Rubber Queen 2.4, which I love for DH run, but that's is a little on the heavy side for XC/AM. I never bought the RQ 2.2, because it wasn't available in BC.
    I think that in 2010, Continental changed the name of the Rubber Queen and called it the Trail King. It also created a 2.2 version of it that used BC. A few weeks ago, I went to the Continental website to look for the confirmation of that the 2.2 was indeed available in BC, only to find that the Trail King is nowhere to be found on the website. Instead, it looks like the Rubber Queen is back and available in 2.2 with BC.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    I think the Conti website never changed the name. In the past, I have found their website to often give bad info.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Your just missing something.
    Conti just changed the RQ name to TK to better market it in the USA. Why does TK increase sales in the usa?....."IDK"

I personally would prefer it if my tire said RUBBER QUEEN on the side instead of TK.

mtbr member
    I have both. There's no visible difference between them

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here is an odd one - I just bought a folding 2.2 Trail King, black hili version, weighed the tire and it came in at 780grams?! way above spec and almost at UST weight - anyone else have this happen?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik
    Here is an odd one - I just bought a folding 2.2 Trail King, black hili version, weighed the tire and it came in at 780grams?! way above spec and almost at UST weight - anyone else have this happen?
    My 2.4 Rubber Queen was just over 960g
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bike Addiction
    My 2.2 weighed the same. My wire bead speci captain weighs 880 but its a little worn. Both tube. REALLY like the TK though. It feels faster and grippier. Black chilie must be magic
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

Perpetual Hack
    Manly Europeans can handle the Rubber Queen name, but alas us twisted-panty North Americaners can not, so for the North American market the name is the now polite Trail King. So...If you order from an NA retailer you will get Trail Kings, if you order from Europe you will get Rubber Queens.
    All versions are now available in Black-Chili
    2.2 UST
    2.4UST

michael

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks a lot everybody for the quick responses.... I shall happily purchase a set of TK/RQ in 2.2..... I, for one, actually like the name Rubber Queen....
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My TK 2.2 BC weighed 663g.

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik
    My first set of 2.4 RQ tires was pretty close to claimed weight. Second set was over 100g over (each). I also ordered a set of UST 2.4" RQ's and the weight was 100g over spec.

Bike Addiction

Not **** phobic

Quote Originally Posted by mykel
    Manly Europeans can handle the Rubber Queen name, but alas us twisted-panty North Americaners can not, so for the North American market the name is the now polite Trail King. So...If you order from an NA retailer you will get Trail Kings, if you order from Europe you will get Rubber Queens.
    All versions are now available in Black-Chili
    2.2 UST
    2.4UST

michael
    What ever they want to call them is no diff to me. They be great tires so far.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

greedy
    Great tires. I've been running the 2.4 TK ust on the front and 2.4 Mountian King ust rear for 8 months now. I think I'll go to a TK 2.2 ust black chili rear next. Everyone always comments on the size of my front tire. Just looking down at that monster has inspired new confidence in me when I get in the roots and rocks.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the comments are always funny, "what are you doing riding a tyre that size" or " your front tire just parted the mud and I'm riding in your track "

I've got 3 front wheels built up, a 3" Savage arrow for really rocky stuff, a 2.4 RQ for lighter trail centres and a XC X-King 2.4 Pro, the 3"'s rubber slides around on wet rocks despite it's size the BC really is amazing even on the harder X-King although the slow rebound from the casing helps to!!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance.
    The Trail King name is used only in the US because of a trademark conflict. Still Rubber Q ueen everywhere else.

The standard 2.2 has always been Black Chilli. The 2.2 UST is (was?) not.
    Basically, if the tire says "Made in Germany" on the sidewall it has Black Chilli compound.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    And then there is the oddity of running black chilli on only a selection of tyres. the UST RQ is not black chilli yet the 2.4 is? Conti really needs to sort out its range!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My 2.4 TK's BC's came in at 930 grams a piece. Definitely over spec.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    And then there is the oddity of running black chilli on only a selection of tyres. the UST RQ is not black chilli yet the 2.4 is? Conti really needs to sort out its range!
    Production capacity issues.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0