commuter/ monstercross wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

commuter/ monstercross wheels

I have an old 700c Scott Laredo bike that I just built up into a commuter/monstercross bike with Moustache bars and CX tires. I have two possible sets of wheels for this bike:

1. 36-spoke Formula DC700 "made by Mavic" double-wall rims laced to Exage hubs. These seem really tough but probably heavier than...
    2. 32 spoke wheels with a Sun rear rim (can't remember what it is) and a Suntour Sprint hub laced to a Mavic Open Pro.

the second wheelset is more "road" and the first seems more "touring." I plan to use this bike as a grocery-getting, urban curb-hopping, gravel grinder, and maybe a little single track.

I weigh 140 pounds, so is the 36-spoke wheelset going to be overkill or will I appreciate the extra durability in the long run?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have an old 700c Scott Laredo bike that I just built up into a commuter/monstercross bike with Moustache bars and CX tires. I have two possible sets of wheels for this bike:

1. 36-spoke Formula DC700 "made by Mavic" double-wall rims laced to Exage hubs. These seem really tough but probably heavier than...
    2. 32 spoke wheels with a Sun rear rim (can't remember what it is) and a Suntour Sprint hub laced to a Mavic Open Pro.

the second wheelset is more "road" and the first seems more "touring." I plan to use this bike as a grocery-getting, urban curb-hopping, gravel grinder, and maybe a little single track.

I weigh 140 pounds, so is the 36-spoke wheelset going to be overkill or will I appreciate the extra durability in the long run?
    Let's see, grocery getting = additional weight/load, curb hopping = additional load on landings etc., gravel grinders = chatter bumps and such, and single track = you never know what! Sounds to me like the stouter wheel set would be the better way to go. Always chose your components for the worst possible conditions you are likely to face. At your weight and considering the use, #1 would likely last a long time with the least potential for problems.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"