Colorado Cyclist Custom Wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Colorado Cyclist Custom Wheels

Does anyone here have any experience getting custom wheels from Colorado Cyclist?

I'm looking to get a mavic / king wheelset and Colorado Cyclist seems to have decent prices.

Have you had a good or bad experience dealing with Colorado Cyclist....especially when it comes to wheels?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

CO Cyclist Wheels

My experience is about 8 years old, so take it FWIW.

I got a set of wheels from CO Cyclist. The wheelset (xtr/mavic) was well built, and well-tensioned. No significant truing or re-tensioning necessary for about 7 months. Then, the mavic rear rim started cracking down the centerline (internally, right under the spoke tape).

CO Cyclist customer service would not honor any warranty claim on this (though their stated warranty was one year) because I had misplaced my receipt. Well, moving can do that. I took it up their food chain, and got nothing--even though I am sure they had a record of my purchase in their computers.

My local LBS finally took care of it directly through mavic.

So, they seem to be good wheel builders, but for me, their CS was awful. Perhaps Turner Bikes could branch out into CS consulting?

The guys on these mtb forums seem to have high regard for the wheelbuilding at Mtn High (contact Larry, apparently), and I have had great luck with Dave Thomas at Speed Dream Wheels.

jrm
    mtbr member

They built my road set

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Shorts
    Does anyone here have any experience getting custom wheels from Colorado Cyclist?

I'm looking to get a mavic / king wheelset and Colorado Cyclist seems to have decent prices.

Have you had a good or bad experience dealing with Colorado Cyclist....especially when it comes to wheels?

Thanks in advance.
    CK/OP 32H, 3X. The set has held up to everything i can throw at. My biggest caution is to have a trusted shop retension the wheels when the time comes. Have you checked odds and endos and mount high cyclery for pricing and rim/ spoke options?

I had larry at MHC build the CK/ DT XR 4.1 wheelset thats on the 5 sopt. im really happy so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    CK/OP 32H, 3X. The set has held up to everything i can throw at. My biggest caution is to have a trusted shop retension the wheels when the time comes. Have you checked odds and endos and mount high cyclery for pricing and rim/ spoke options?

I had larry at MHC build the CK/ DT XR 4.1 wheelset thats on the 5 sopt. im really happy so far.
    Larry's out of the rims that I want.

I haven't tried Odds and Endos. Are they reputable, in your opinion?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    They are in the same catagory as Larry. Mike Garcia is a very honest, fair, and good person to deal with.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

ಠ_ಠ

my experience

I had a Mavic/CK set built by them. Good price, but not overly impressed. Although the price was good, I had to have a local shop re-tension them after less than a month. They would have done it for free, but once you factor in the hassle and expense it doesn't make sense. Other than the re-tension it's been fine. Probably would go thru Larry if I had to do it again.

Peace & Love
    Larry's out of the rims that I want.

let me guess.....you wanted Mavic XM819s

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    let me guess.....you wanted Mavic XM819s
    Yep. You got it. Larry got so many orders that his impressive 819 stock dried up.

Peace & Love
    Yep. You got it. Larry got so many orders that his impressive 819 stock dried up.
    After doing some "research" so to speak, I opted out of the 819s and am actually quite glad I did. I am sure the 819s would have been nice but frankly, I actually did want something a bit more robust and had no plans to run tubeless anyway.

I really like the Syncros choices, as apparently many others do as well.

The 819s of course are 1.9 inside width and are 23mm width with a depth/height of 21mm. They also weight in at 510 grams, not the 465 grams listed.

I ended up going with the Syncros DS28 and am stoked and cant wait for Larry to finish them. They are 28mm wide and are very deep at 26mm which will make them nice and robust. Not to mention, they are only about 530 grams on the average so no significant weight penalty compared to the 819s.

The Syncros DP25 are super comparable to the 819s in terms of dimensions at 25mm wide and 22mm high. These will weight the same as the 819s but again, I wanted something a little more robust for this ride.

Mavic XM321 were scratched since they did not have the big yellow Syncros stickers on the sidewalls among other reasons.

Cheers

Old man on a bike

I've had a set of ceramic X517/CK wheels built by CC for

5 (6?) years and they're still going strong FWTW. Don't ride that bike a whole lot, but they saw intense use the first couple of years and required minimal attention to truing. The price at the time was great; couldn't even buy the parts for what I paid for the built and delivered wheels. I build my own now more because I enjoy it and it's easier to recycle parts that way.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks For All of the Great Input

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks For All of the Great Input!!!! I really appreciate it.

I'll post an update once I receive the wheels.

Lay off the Levers
    Thanks For All of the Great Input!!!! I really appreciate it.

I'll post an update once I receive the wheels.
    Be sure to post a pic too!
    Faster is better, even when it's not.