Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166

    Colorado Cyclist Custom Hand Built Wheelset Experience

    So I ordered my 29" wheelset from Colorado Cyclist on November 7th and received them on November 16th. I ordered orange Hope Pro 4 hubs with Stan's Flow MK3 rims, black DT Comp spokes and black DT brass nipples. I also placed a request on the web order form that the builder line up the "hope" logo on the hubs with the valve stem on the rims for a clean, professional look and also stated my geared up riding weight of 220lbs.

    The builder did a great job on the set with perfect dishing, "sensibly higher side" (from my hi-tech squeeze test ) spoke tension and the all important hub logo orientation just as I asked. The box CC uses is really thick and heavy, and has 2 plastic pieces attached inside the box that hold the outside of each wheel's hub and in between the wheels was a thick, specifically shaped piece of cardboard that kept the wheels separated and from hitting each other. Also inside the box were my invoice with all of the parts listed in the build, and my all important hope stickers.

    To my surprise the wheels came taped with Stan's yellow tape as well as Stan's valves installed too...... Ready to ride. I had my first ride today in the SoCal high desert and am really happy with my parts choice and overall pro build quality. After the dusty ride, every single spoke nipple & spoke hole had a greasy, oily circle around them where the builder used spoke prep/lube in assembly, and on the first 50' of my very first ride, there wasn't a single pop, click or creek of the spokes indicating that they were stress relieved properly during the build.

    Anyway, I just wanted to give my firsthand experience with Colorado Cyclist's hand built wheelset program, and I highly recommend them!


    Colorado Cyclist Custom Hand Built Wheelset Experience-20161117_100959-min.jpg Colorado Cyclist Custom Hand Built Wheelset Experience-20161117_101138-min.jpg Colorado Cyclist Custom Hand Built Wheelset Experience-8-min.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    545
    I will say I have had only one road wheel set bulit by CC and believe they have always been known for high quality builds and something they do pride themselves on.

  3. #3
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I highly recommend them!
    That's awesome.

    It's great for you, and it's really cool to read that CC builds wheels to that standard.

    ---

    I'm about your weight and really liked flow mk2s but i'd eventually flat-spot them consistently, despite running fairly high pressures; i'm interested to hear your impressions of those rims after a season knowing that they were assembled well.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,251
    Just FYI, you should not need to do that, not something you should need to ask to be done. If you order a set of custom wheels and the hub logo does not line up with the valve hole, send them back, if the builder would not take enough pride to do that, then I'd be suspect of the rest of the build. If you ordered a set of custom wheels and you heard the spokes popping and pinging, send them back, nothing to be impressed about.

    Maybe the world has come to expect mediocrity, but all you describe is what I'd demand of a custom built wheelset.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  5. #5
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Just FYI, you should not need to do that, not something you should need to ask to be done. If you order a set of custom wheels and the hub logo does not line up with the valve hole, send them back, if the builder would not take enough pride to do that, then I'd be suspect of the rest of the build. If you ordered a set of custom wheels and you heard the spokes popping and pinging, send them back, nothing to be impressed about.

    Maybe the world has come to expect mediocrity, but all you describe is what I'd demand of a custom built wheelset.
    I have only ever had factory wheelsets from the likes of Race Face, Easton, ect before trying another "well known on the forum(s)/eBay" guy last month for my first custom build, and was highly disappointed with the end result and overall buying/shipping experience.

    So after selling that set and losing almost $80, I was highly skeptical of the next guy, and that's why I decided to pay a little more and go with a bike shop build, instead of a guy with an eBay account.

    At the end of the day, I agree with everything you said, but my firsthand experience had me thinking I was an anomaly.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    400
    Did they give you a final weight of the wheel set? I'm looking at this same exact set up but in 27.5 flavor

    Or maybe a wtb asym i29.. man decisions decisions

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    No they didn't, but there are a couple places online where you can input your parts and it spits out a weight..... I was after bullet proof vs outright light weight.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Just FYI, you should not need to do that, not something you should need to ask to be done. If you order a set of custom wheels and the hub logo does not line up with the valve hole, send them back, if the builder would not take enough pride to do that, then I'd be suspect of the rest of the build. If you ordered a set of custom wheels and you heard the spokes popping and pinging, send them back, nothing to be impressed about.

    Maybe the world has come to expect mediocrity, but all you describe is what I'd demand of a custom built wheelset.
    Or maybe the request was just so ridiculous that the builder rightfully ignored it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,251
    Huh, what request? What was ignored? Did you fail reading comprehension class?
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    Or maybe the request was just so ridiculous that the builder rightfully ignored it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Huh, what request? What was ignored? Did you fail reading comprehension class?
    The request to line up the hub logo and the valve stem. Go read the thread again, it's not too hard to understand.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,251
    Maybe you should try re-reading, OP said that it was lined up, i.e request filled
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    The request to line up the hub logo and the valve stem. Go read the thread again, it's not too hard to understand.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Maybe you should try re-reading, OP said that it was lined up, i.e request filled
    Exactly. Whether or not the builder saw it and laughed, who cares? It gets down to a urination competition. And I don't care who can pee farther.

  13. #13
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    Or maybe the request was just so ridiculous that the builder rightfully ignored it.
    Quote Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
    The request to line up the hub logo and the valve stem. Go read the thread again, it's not too hard to understand.
    Glad to see you read my post...... As stated in that post, the builder did just as I requested with my "ridiculous request" (FYI, Industry 9 would never let one of their wheelsets leave their building without the hub logo and valve lining up).

    Thanks for popping in though, but the next time you want to piss on someones thread, make sure you completely read and understand that post, otherwise, well you look like a special kind of special.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    492
    This company has been doing wheels for a long time. IIRC back in the day, you could send 'em your hubs, they'd buff 'em, fresh axle sets and build 'em into a wheel at a reasonable cost. And for those who'd rather not mess with truing, a good wheel set built by hand is the way to go.

  15. #15
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,076
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I have only ever had factory wheelsets from the likes of Race Face, Easton, ect before trying another "well known on the forum(s)/eBay" guy last month for my first custom build, and was highly disappointed with the end result and overall buying/shipping experience.

    So after selling that set and losing almost $80, I was highly skeptical of the next guy, and that's why I decided to pay a little more and go with a bike shop build, instead of a guy with an eBay account.

    At the end of the day, I agree with everything you said, but my firsthand experience had me thinking I was an anomaly.
    Yup, this is totally it, and why your post is valuable.

    Like, i used to build a wheelset almost every week, now i build my own, and maybe a friend's once or twice a year. I wouldn't feel comfortable selling wheels now cuz either i spend so much time on them it's a labor of love, or i do it in a reasonable amount of time and they're not something i'm proud of. I know the processs, but I've lost the touch.

    That's the value in pre-built wheels; the parts are the same for everyone and driven by marketing, but you know the guy who built them has his shit dialed.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    154
    I bought a set of CC road wheels in 1996 and never had to touch them for the entire life of the bike (sold in 2015). Stayed true the whole time.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    492
    The wheels on my Marin came from Bike Nashbar in '92. LX 32 hole hubs, SS spokes and generic double wall alloy rims. I had been taught how to take these machine built wheels and make 'em good as hand built. The bike is in for a heavy maintenance visit and the back wheel, while still true, has a hub with pits in the shell. Around 40K commuter miles carrying 200# rider and gear. Time to buy another el cheapo and do it all again. I'll just get the rear. The front wheel is still near perfect. So I have mismatch. I don't really care.

  18. #18
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Just a quick update:

    I now have just over 410 miles on my wheelset, and they are still as true and tensioned as the day they were delivered.

    Being big 29ers, and me being an aggressive 220lbs in a very rocky riding area, I was expecting the usual (to me anyway) "50 mile tune up", but so far these things are ridiculously solid.

    I guess I will eventually take them to my trusted wheel dude for his oh-so-delicate wheel therapy, but from the looks of it, it won't be any time soon.

  19. #19
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    I am so happy with these, that I just ordered my 2nd set.... a different config, and will update with pics once they arrive in a couple of weeks.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    282
    Glad to hear regarding Colorado Cyclists build quality.

    I ordered a set of Stan's MK3 Flow's with Hope Pro 4 hubs from CC a couple days ago; anxious to try them out.

    Prices were the very competitive compared to other 'online' builders, I thought.
    2018 Specialized Diverge Expert
    2018 Giant Anthem Pro 29 1

  21. #21
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
    Glad to hear regarding Colorado Cyclists build quality.

    I ordered a set of Stan's MK3 Flow's with Hope Pro 4 hubs from CC a couple days ago; anxious to try them out.

    Prices were the very competitive compared to other 'online' builders, I thought.
    Awesome build! I just bought a 29" set of Hope P4 XD black / Race Face ARC 27 / DT Black Comp spokes / DT silver Brass nipples...... Hopefully bullet proof for my 225lbs.

    Yes, they are about the cheapest I've seen online, but their build quality and shipping box (hopefully still the same) are top notch!

    Hope you like yours.

  22. #22
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,384
    I'm glad you're liking the orange Pro 4's, I have some with the stainless freehub.

  23. #23
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Got my wheelset today, and they are perfect. Like with my 1st order I asked for the Hope logo on the hubs to be lined up to the valve hole, and they nailed it again. The wheels arrived taped and valved, ready to ride. The dish is perfect, as is the true. The spoke tension appears to be on the 'high side', but certainly not out of line..... I did tell them I weigh 225lbs.

    I also asked if they would include 2 extra spokes per size needed, (4 total) as well as 4 extra nipples..... I did ask if they would "throw them in" (and pointed them to this thread as well as my previous order), but also said I would gladly pay for them and just asked them to let me know. I also bought a set of Hope Pro 4 Torque Caps for my Yari fork.

    They included everything above in a padded envelope and included it in the heavy duty box that is identical to my first order.... They even taped the pairs of spokes together and labeled their type and size! They ended up giving me the spokes and nipples at no charge, probably because it was my second wheelset order and this thread certainly didn't hurt either.... You may have to pay.

    I do wish they would just charge another $6 per build and include the 4 spokes and nipples...... Maybe they will in the future. I took 5 minutes and sent Colorado Cyclist an email thanking them for another professional wheel build.


    Hope Pro 4 hubs - 32 Hole - Black
    Race Face ARC 27 Rims
    DT Swiss Competition Spokes - Black
    DT Swiss Brass Nipples
    3X Front & Rear

    Colorado Cyclist Custom Hand Built Wheelset Experience-cc-hope-rf-dt.jpg

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,251
    Glad you had another good experience, but seriously, this is NOT something you need to ask for if you get wheels built by a good wheel builder, this is what they do all by themselves if they have pride in their craft, its the first thing anyone teaches you about building wheels, it's the starting point to initiate how important the small details are.

    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Got my wheelset today, and they are perfect. Like with my 1st order I asked for the Hope logo on the hubs to be lined up to the valve hole, and they nailed it again.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  25. #25
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Glad you had another good experience, but seriously, this is NOT something you need to ask for if you get wheels built by a good wheel builder, this is what they do all by themselves if they have pride in their craft, its the first thing anyone teaches you about building wheels, it's the starting point to initiate how important the small details are.
    Agreed, and they may very well do it on every wheelset, but I'd just rather make sure.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: William_Cannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    304
    Very tempting... I'm still figuring out what i want, but their prices are legit

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark16q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    289
    Ordered a set of nox teos last week, can't wait to get them!
    '16 Scott Genius 700 Premium
    '14 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5"
    Cervelo R3sl
    Seven Alta
    Curtlo h/t

  28. #28
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
    Ordered a set of nox teos last week, can't wait to get them!
    Looking forward to hearing your experience when you get them!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    525
    Had a set of Nox Farlow/Kings from them and they were bomber


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

  30. #30
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Well, in the interest of 100% transparency regarding this thread, 2 out of 3 ain't bad I guess.

    I ordered a 3rd set from CC but unfortunately the end result was a 180 degree polar opposite of my prior two builds. I won't get into all of the details here publicly, but you can PM me for more info.

    I'll just add that CC did reimburse me a portion of the money I paid to Worldwide Cyclery (I live a drivable 93 miles away from them) to fix the issues and always responded to my emails promptly.

    100% pure speculation on my part is either new personal, or they are asking too much from the wheel builder(s) in terms of total builds shipped out per day.
    Last edited by D Bone; 06-21-2018 at 12:30 PM.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    244
    Sorry you had a bad experience, D Bone. I just wanted to add to this thread since I think it's only right to spread some good publicity when a company makes you a happy camper.

    I got my first wheels from CC at the end of last year and have beat the hell out of them. Still dead straight. Spokes all still feel evenly tensioned and similar to what was described in the OP- rear has high-but-not-unreasonable tension, and the front is purposefully a little flexier for comfort (but still plenty strong, obviously). Order had some backordered parts and probably took 2-3 weeks to arrive.

    Second set came in last Friday, right under the two week mark, which includes special-ordering hubs and like 4-5 days in transit to me. That's insane.

    They're still great wheels. Yes, all my logos are lined up and I didn't ask for it (didn't even know it was a thing until I just checked them).

    They have great communication, and even made sure I got the wheels dished how I wanted, even though I emailed them days after I had already ordered. Hell, they even emailed to make sure I didn't want my valve stem color matched to the spoke nipples (since I went with gold ano nipples but picked black stems).

    I'm sure someday I'll end up with a third wheel build from them. I just don't want to ride machine-built wheels anymore, and CC's pricing is essentially competitive with (if not better than) the price of me building the wheels myself.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,335
    Didn't see this pop up earlier. Ouch.
    Had a good experience buying from CC before, and outstanding service after the fact for a warranty issue with a rim that had nothing to do with the build.
    Actually have custom wheels for the hybrid I ride on pavement in my shopping cart there right now, so I hope this isn't a trend.
    They really do have great prices. Think they ranged from $120 to almost $200 lower than the other wheelbuilders I shopped online-which is a pretty significant difference when you're talking about paying ~$600 vs. up to ~$800 for an identical wheelset. I know one bad experience is enough to kill that significance, though.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    525
    Awesome.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

  34. #34
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,857
    I have a question. The Hope Pro 4 labels run around the hub. What did they line up with the valvestem, exactly?
    I like turtles

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,251
    That is true, but the actual HOPE logo runs across the hub and that's what I aligned to my valve hole on all my Pro4 builds. Thought it weird when they released them that the name wrapped around instead of on the opposite side to the Hope logo, but guess someone thought it was cool

    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I have a question. The Hope Pro 4 labels run around the hub. What did they line up with the valvestem, exactly?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10,620
    I line up the logos with the valve stem out of habit but I find it weird that anyone really cares about it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  37. #37
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Weird I am.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    10,620
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Weird I am.

    Yeah me too. In fact I care a lot about aesthetics but that particular deal never concerned me.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    Well, in the interest of 100% transparency regarding this thread, 2 out of 3 ain't bad I guess.

    I ordered a 3rd set from CC but unfortunately the end result was a 180 degree polar opposite of my prior two builds. I won't get into all of the details here publicly, but you can PM me for more info.

    I'll just add that CC did reimburse me a portion of the money I paid to Worldwide Cyclery (I live a drivable 93 miles away from them) to fix the issues and always responded to my emails promptly.

    100% pure speculation on my part is either new personal, or they are asking too much from the wheel builder(s) in terms of total builds shipped out per day.
    They didn't line them up did they? The bastards!
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    244
    Since this got bumped, here's an addendum to my above post:

    I took my enduro bike to a park for four days. Hope hubs laced to 35mm Spank Oozies by CC. 2.0mm DT swiss spokes and brass nips.

    Front WTB 'Tough' casing blew near top of mountain on first day. Walked/carried/threw it to get to a fire road, than descended the couple thousand feet (or is Trestle maybe more like 1700-1800 I think? Don't want to exaggerate here...) riding on the rim.

    Threw a tube and a real downhill tire on it that night, was back up and running. End result after four days: spent $80 on a Maxxis tire, rear tire lived but has a wobble now. Drivetrain seems pretty much ruined. My bike riding through the mountains sounds like a windmill being used to grind broken glass.

    Wheels: still about 95% true. Perfectly rideable, but they will probably need a tune-up...some time this next year, I guess. And let me stress: it's not because I'm light or I took it easy, I'm probably 200lbs in downhill gear, and I choose the worst lines like a damned radar-guided missile of awfulness. I take off awkward and I land hard.

    Thumbs still way up for CC. I've often considered learning to build my own wheels, but they simply make it an obvious logical decision to let them do it for practically-free.

  41. #41
    MCMXCV
    Reputation: D Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,166
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    They didn't line them up did they? The bastards!
    Way more to it than that, but if you just want to make fun then have at it.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,546
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    Since this got bumped, here's an addendum to my above post:

    I took my enduro bike to a park for four days. Hope hubs laced to 35mm Spank Oozies by CC. 2.0mm DT swiss spokes and brass nips.

    Front WTB 'Tough' casing blew near top of mountain on first day. Walked/carried/threw it to get to a fire road, than descended the couple thousand feet (or is Trestle maybe more like 1700-1800 I think? Don't want to exaggerate here...) riding on the rim.

    Threw a tube and a real downhill tire on it that night, was back up and running. End result after four days: spent $80 on a Maxxis tire, rear tire lived but has a wobble now. Drivetrain seems pretty much ruined. My bike riding through the mountains sounds like a windmill being used to grind broken glass.

    Wheels: still about 95% true. Perfectly rideable, but they will probably need a tune-up...some time this next year, I guess. And let me stress: it's not because I'm light or I took it easy, I'm probably 200lbs in downhill gear, and I choose the worst lines like a damned radar-guided missile of awfulness. I take off awkward and I land hard.

    Thumbs still way up for CC. I've often considered learning to build my own wheels, but they simply make it an obvious logical decision to let them do it for practically-free.
    Say what? Why is your drivetrain ruined? 'Drivetrain' generally refers to things in and around the chain. Cranks, chainring, chain, cassette, shifter, derailleur. Stuff that propels the bike. The wheels are generally excluded. If you say you have a full XT drivetrain, it doesn't describe the wheels, even though yes Shimano does make XT wheels.

    At any rate, I've been there before with a blowout mid-trail. I choose to walk and save the wheel. You can't ride with any speed on a flat so it's pointless to destroy the wheel trying.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Say what? Why is your drivetrain ruined? 'Drivetrain' generally refers to things in and around the chain. Cranks, chainring, chain, cassette, shifter, derailleur. Stuff that propels the bike. The wheels are generally excluded. If you say you have a full XT drivetrain, it doesn't describe the wheels, even though yes Shimano does make XT wheels.

    At any rate, I've been there before with a blowout mid-trail. I choose to walk and save the wheel. You can't ride with any speed on a flat so it's pointless to destroy the wheel trying.
    I think he was just noting that the ride was so hard that it destroyed his drivetrain. It appears to be part of a larger story that he really cranked on his bike hard and the wheels held up relatively well in comparison to the rest of the bike.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    244
    Yeah I was just making a point of saying that four days of park riding with no maintenance is a LITTLE hard on a trail bike.

    And walking out would've taken a goddamned eternity. I was probably going 15-20mph, minimum, down the access roads. I just kept my weight back and hoped for the best.

  45. #45
    turtles make me hot
    Reputation: NYrr496's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    9,857
    OK... about my question earlier... It all makes sense now. I build LOTS of fat wheels. The logo on a Hope Fatsno runs around the hub. No place to really line up with the valve hole. I just bought myself a Boost hub and there it is. A perfect Hope to line up.
    Carry on.
    I like turtles

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by phuchmileif View Post
    Yeah I was just making a point of saying that four days of park riding with no maintenance is a LITTLE hard on a trail bike.

    And walking out would've taken a goddamned eternity. I was probably going 15-20mph, minimum, down the access roads. I just kept my weight back and hoped for the best.
    That's pretty amazing that you could ride the wheel on a flat for that long without destroying it. I'll likely go with CC for my next wheel set.

    I flatted at Whistler last summer, but fortunately I wasn't too far up the mountain and could walk it out.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    That's pretty amazing that you could ride the wheel on a flat for that long without destroying it. I'll likely go with CC for my next wheel set.

    I flatted at Whistler last summer, but fortunately I wasn't too far up the mountain and could walk it out.
    Or the tire coming off the rim. My brother in law flatted at Keystone a year ago - maybe 2. Walked down the service road. Maintenance truck passed him and told him to get in.

    Even walking an hour is better than destroying a front wheel, to me.

  48. #48
    Human Crayon
    Reputation: sleestak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    396
    Colorado Cyclist is local to me and they carry great rep out here. When you walk in, you see nice custom builds all around. They don't mess and you know when you go there, you're getting quality and a knowledgeable staff.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Or the tire coming off the rim. My brother in law flatted at Keystone a year ago - maybe 2. Walked down the service road. Maintenance truck passed him and told him to get in.

    Even walking an hour is better than destroying a front wheel, to me.
    Funny thing about that; it stayed on all the way down. I figured I must've forgotten how tight the beads were on that particular tire/wheel.

    Got back to the hotel room, barely pushed on the bead, pops off, and I pull both beads off the rim at the same time. I have absolutely no idea how that stayed on there.


    edit: also, I feel I should spread my gratitude to Spank, because I think that chunky **** of a rim (just 35mm Oozies) is the real hero. Strong rim + excellent spoke tensioning (I still have not touched a spoke nipple on these wheels) = godlike.

    Compared to every cheapo machine-built wheel that I've ridden on, which...are like black holes of entropy. They just want to come apart. They will not be true after one hard ride.
    Last edited by phuchmileif; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:44 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Colorado Cyclist - Colorado Composites carbon wheels
    By m2_boy in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM
  2. Hand built clyde 29er wheelset for sale
    By Bike Whisperer in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 07:11 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-14-2014, 04:57 PM
  4. Custom built wheelset benefits
    By fishercat in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 04:40 PM
  5. Hand built? vs
    By roblee in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Members who have read this thread: 275

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.