Clogged valve stem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Clogged valve stem

I got a valve stem on my rear tire that seems to be clogged with sealant. Never had this happen before. Air is tough to get in and impossible to get out without unscrewing the valve core enough so that some air can seep out. Do I need just a new valve core or an entire new valve stem assembly? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Remove the core, and poke out the stem, if necessary. Usually you can get away with just replacing the core.

I, personally, don't bother with trying to clean valves...but, to each their own.

Nat
    mtbr member

Out spokin'
    1. Unscrew valve core, throw it away.
    2. Cut one end off a Q-tip.
    3. Run the Q-tip shaft through the valve stem (it's the perfect size).
    4. Replace valve core with a new one -- they're cheap.
    5. Done.

=sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you are as cheap as I am; I keep a clean cat food can with my clogged stems in it, I dump some Naptha in there once in a while and swoosh it around, it dissolves the sealant pretty good after a while and doesn't dissolve the other rubber/plastic valve parts.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

damned rocks...
    I'm cheap like you, but I slightly file the threaded tip so that I can remove the nut, then I disassemble the core and clean it.
    But your method seems less labor intensive, gonna try that next time .

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Sometimes it's just not replacing the core. I use Orange Seal and about once a year I need to pop the bead on one side and remove the stem for a proper cleaning. That stuff gets little danglers at bottom of the stem and you can poke it till the cows come home and that little bugger usually won't break loose, keeps getting in the way of getting a correct tire pressure reading.
    Like a check/safety flap, air gets in fine but sorta closes back up letting air out or checking pressure...lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks folks. I'm not a big fan of cleaning and reusing such a small, cheap part. I'll just get some new core valves, try to clean the stem as best I can from the outside using the q-tip method, and replace the core with a new, un-clogged one.

mtbr member
    I've always be able to remove congealed sealant from a valve core in a few seconds by hand. It would take more time get a new one out of the drawer.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I've always be able to remove congealed sealant from a valve core in a few seconds by hand. It would take more time get a new one out of the drawer.
    10-4. I'll give that a try before I buy new ones. I figured it if was clogged bad enough not let air out, it was dried up all inside the core as well. Didn't think it could just be congealed on the outside a little and stop air that well.

Magically Delicious
    Just buy new wheels.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    These wheels are dern near brand new. Bought them this summer and some back issues have kept me from putting many miles on them.

I pulled out the core yesterday and wiped it off. I didn't appear to have much sealant dried up on it at all. I ran an awl down through the stem, put the core back in, and now it's letting air in and out much better.

I didn't see any dried sealant on the core or on the awl from where I poked it in the stem. Go figure...

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Just buy new wheels.
    better get a new bike, just to be safe
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Keep on Rockin...
    Cores...

Instead of tossing valves in the trash and having the UPS guy spend gallons of gas to deliver new ones....

Super easy - Fully unthreading the tiny little nub on the extracted valve core is very easy. Just unscrew the nub with some force with small pliers - the nub comes right off and then goes back on the same way. With the nub off, the "core" of the valve core comes right out. A few passes with a toothpick and you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    better get a new bike, just to be safe
    It did seem like a good excuse to go buy the Giant Reign E+ 1 Pro I've been wanting, but my family's gotta eat and my girls' school ain't cheap.....

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    After awhile, the core does die. Also, the glitter chunks in orange seal can destroy the rubber seal on the core if a piece of it gets stuck in there. I keep some extra cores around, but I do agree, it doesn't take that much effort to clean old sealant off of clogged cores.