Thread: Clogged Presta?

mtbr member

Clogged Presta?

Right forum?

I am using Orange seal and it keeps clogging my tubeless presta valves. Is this common with Orange seal? Is there a new formula? I have been using it for years and just recently started having this issue.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbpete
    I seem to have had a little more trouble with this sealant than another, but it might be necessary to clean the tire out. I had a tire sit for a while and the sealant formed a bubble of a seal around the valve area so when I inflated the tire it was only inflating the sealant bubble.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    I seem to have had a little more trouble with this sealant than another, but it might be necessary to clean the tire out. I had a tire sit for a while and the sealant formed a bubble of a seal around the valve area so when I inflated the tire it was only inflating the sealant bubble.
    New tire and fresh sealant.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

This place needs an enema
    Be sure to place the valve core at the six o'clock position, pointing straight up -- and leave it there for a few moments -- before fiddling with pressures. This keeps the sealant in the tire and out of the valve.

Wanna ride bikes?
    When this happens to me (rarely, and I use Stans) I just replace the valve core for $1 and it's just like new. I've not had the actual valve shaft plug up.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    How best to clean a clogged valve core? I'm replacing them too often.

mtbr member
    IME all sealants can clog valve cores. I always just replace them when they get too bad, I'm sure there's a way to clean them but I can never get all the junk out of the nooks.

You can pilfer them from old junk tubes.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    An excerpt from a past blog post:

"You need to get a pair of pliers on the squished part, grab the easy to lose part with another set of pliers, and turn the recalcitrant bit off the top. It doesn't want to come off, but it will.

Once apart, you'll see all the sealant on the shitty part and inside the tubish part. Pick, poke, stab, rub... whatever it takes. Get rid of it. Once everything is gunk free, reassemble and check to see if the easy to lose part will back off the threaded, formally shitty part too easily. If so, give it a little squish with your pliers and check it again. Repeat until the easy to lose part doesn't come off in your fingers."

I'd love to know if there just isn't some solvent that will get rid of the latex without ruining the core.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    An excerpt from a past blog post:

"You need to get a pair of pliers on the squished part, grab the easy to lose part with another set of pliers, and turn the recalcitrant bit off the top. It doesn't want to come off, but it will.

Once apart, you'll see all the sealant on the shitty part and inside the tubish part. Pick, poke, stab, rub... whatever it takes. Get rid of it. Once everything is gunk free, reassemble and check to see if the easy to lose part will back off the threaded, formally shitty part too easily. If so, give it a little squish with your pliers and check it again. Repeat until the easy to lose part doesn't come off in your fingers."

I'd love to know if there just isn't some solvent that will get rid of the latex without ruining the core.
    I was in an LBS the other day, and there was a small bottle of latex remover from either Caffe Latex or Vittoria. First I've ever heard/seen this. I can't see how it can dissolve hardened latex and also not destroy the rubber seals in the valve.

Category Winner
    I was in an LBS the other day, and there was a small bottle of latex remover from either Caffe Latex or Vittoria. First I've ever heard/seen this. I can't see how it can dissolve hardened latex and also not destroy the rubber seals in the valve.
    Mebbe the google knows...

"There are several commercial products that can dissolve Latex. "Goof Off" and "Oops", intended for household use, are found in many hardware stores and offer water-based and environmentally friendly versions."
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    When this happens to me (rarely, and I use Stans) I just replace the valve core for $1 and it's just like new. I've not had the actual valve shaft plug up.
    It is getting clogged at the rubber base. Not the core. Replacing the core wouldn't help this issue.

Until I figure out a resolution, I have just been removing the presta core and running a small drill bit up in there using my fingers. Usually cleans it out for a couple weeks.

Out spokin'
    First I remove the valve core. Break the cotton part off the end of a Q-tip and run the remaining lollipop stick part through the valve stem. It's just the right size. Reinstall the valve core. Done. 'Til next time, anyway.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yeah I've always been able to take valve out, and peel the dried latex off around the base of the valve and it's opened right up.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    How about a blast of air from a compressor? Probably not, as I've seen my pump gage almost get pegged out on a clogged valve.

I'll try the Q tip idea. Sounds great.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    First I remove the valve core. Break the cotton part off the end of a Q-tip and run the remaining lollipop stick part through the valve stem. It's just the right size. Reinstall the valve core. Done. 'Til next time, anyway.
    =sParty
    ^ This
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    The only thing better than what Sparticus does is my wife of 20 years is so awesome! I said "Honey, can you hold your finger on this valve for a few minutes while I clean this valve core in the kitchen sink?" She did it! Such a keeper! She just kneeled down by my bike and held the air in. Pretty clutch to have a girl like that around. I didnt even have to re inflate tire. I clean mine like Teamdicky posted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've run a few different sealants and have never had this issue. curious, do you use a lot of sealant? change pressures often?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks teamdicky, I cured my slow stem today. Saved me a trip to town to buy replacements/spares. Guess I should have a spare in my kit anyway but I'll grab one some day when I make it in to town.