mtbr member

Chosen Sealed Bearing Hubs

Just wondering if anyone runs Chosen hubs? They came onto my radar last weekend, in a chat with my mechanic about a possible new wheelset. I'm a big guy (I'm really quite fat) and while I'm working on my weight issue, my mechanic recommended Chosen sealed bearing hubs, instead of cup and cone style Shimano hubs, to handle my weight.

Having looked at them, they seem to have quite good reviews. Chosen maybe makes OEM hubs for Stans No Tubes and others? People online seem to think they're pretty good quality, but there aren't all that many reviews.

I'm looking at the 32h QR versions, the A4581B and A4587B pair, and will try to find 36h versions if I pull the trigger.

Link: Chosen Co., Ltd:::HUBS、Disc brake、wheel set

Does anyone know what specification the bearing units are? Is there a a name for the standard? They look like common bearing race units, so it would be nice to know that I could easily replace the bearings or upgrade to ceramic bearings, etc.

Also, does anyone have the tech specs (flange diameter, center to flange etc) that you need for spoke length calculations? I can't see any tech documents on their site.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

mtbr member
    Where did you find good reviews??

They're pretty well known for how bad they suck. Especially for bigger and stronger riders.

Save up a bit and get hopes or dt 350s. It's well worth it. Buy chosen and you'll be buying again, soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Where did you find good reviews??

They're pretty well known for how bad they suck. Especially for bigger and stronger riders.

Save up a bit and get hopes or dt 350s. It's well worth it. Buy chosen and you'll be buying again, soon.
    I saw brief (positive) mentions here on MTBR, road bike forums, maybe PinkBike?

Reviews are a mixed bag, but so are the hubs. Some cat liked 120 POE Chosen hubs, but hubs can vary widely and I am looking at the QR versions, rather than through axle 120-150 POE hubs, as the QR hubs come in 32 and 36h versions.

What sucks on the Chosen hubs specifically? Do you have to replace the bearing units excessively? Does the freehub body crap out?
    Last edited by PDKL45; 07-09-2018 at 01:19 AM.

turtles make me hot
    I ruined a ratchet ring in a Chosen hub. You're better off with a Hope, DT Swiss 350 or Bike Hub Store. From one big guy to another, I will not build a wheel with a Chosen hub.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The bearings fail because they're cheap and undersized. The axles flex which damages the bearings, making a quality bearing replacement not an option. The ratchets either strip out, or just break.

If you want to save some cash, bitex hubs hold up really well for most people. Ive had tons of them and they've all been great. Since the price sort of went up, I use hopes now.

mtbpete
    There are many different models of chosen hubs out there. Stan's use to use them and the ones they used were lightweight with small bearings (except on the HD hubs). They were usually good enough, but had issues for larger riders and some quality control issues. The bearing numbers are on the seal of the bearing or they bearings can be measured and bearings are easy to find for all of these hubs. I do agree with others and recommend a DT 350 hub for the best durability for the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PDKL45 View Post
    ... I am looking at the QR versions, rather than through axle 120-150 POE hubs, as the QR hubs come in 32 and 36h versions.
    If you're looking for QR hubs it's hard to beat Shimano, look for M756's or M529's.

mtbr member
    I like the look of DT Swiss 350 as well and may just go for some, if I can find the money somewhere. After a little more research, though, I am leaning towards either DT Swiss 370 or Novatec D791/792. Dt has the better reputation, but they're two pawl hubs, as opposed to the four of the Novatec hubs. I will keep researching...

I appreciate the mention of Shimano. I actually have M756 hubs on my Specialized AWOL and I have had XT hubs in the past. They're fine, and I expect to get many more years out of my current wheelset, with rebuilds and bearing changes. I'm really keen to try out some hubs with cartridge bearings, though, and to go in a different direction with the new wheel build.

*Edit: Looks like the DT Swiss 370 hubs have been discontinued? They're still up on the Korean site for $70 and $130, and they may have old stock, but without support for the product, spare parts, etc, it's not worth it. Will keep looking.
    Last edited by PDKL45; 07-12-2018 at 12:40 AM.