Choosing a wheel set for a new build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Choosing a wheel set for a new build

I'm building an Evil Following MB and I'm having a hard time picking a wheel set. I'm torn between a set of ENVE m730 or 630s $1449 right now on competitive cyclists, or i9 1/1 trail or enduro s sets only $750. I have a wreckoning with the m730's on it and I like the way the feel but I'm looking to build this bike for more trail riding and leaving the bigger stuff to my wreckoning. I dont have any experience with the other wheels so any input is much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Iím also in the market for a set of wheels at the moment, so I understand what youíre going through.

First, the wheel sets you mention are dramatically different in price. What is your budget then? And have you considered building a custom set? You can easily get a custom built set for under $750. Iím looking at ďenduroĒ/AM/downhill aluminum rims on DT350/i9 101 hubs, and Iíve been seeing prices in the $600-700 range depending on the exact rim and builder.

Also, what is your weight and riding style?

Also, I wasnít familiar with the ENVE rims, but the weight difference between the M630 and M730 is more than I was expecting. Itís over 150g difference per rim. It sounds like youíre wanting to use your bigger bike for gnarlier stuff, so it would seem that the m730ís are a bit overkill (they are as heavy as a dt Swiss ex511, which is one of the burliest alloy rims that they make).

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm 195lbs and a fairly aggressive rider. I'm building the bike to strike a balance between my wreckoning and xc bike. I agree the m730's are overkill and the m630 seems like a good fit but I'll probably go with the i9's or look into a custom build

mtbr member
    You and I are almost exactly the same weight, and fairly similar riding styles. Which basically means we need to err a bit on the side of a heavier/stronger rim.

If you go custom, you can get a set built with something like the Spank 350, race face arc 30 or dt Swiss xm481ís and a dt350, hope pro 4, or industry nine 101 hub for ~$560-670 or so. Those rims are in the ďtrail/all mountain/light enduroĒ strength range, and have a pretty reasonable weight. Iíd imagine they would work great for you for normal trail riding.

If youíre curious about going custom, check out speedgearbike, cycle wheels USA, and daves-wheels.

I also hear pretty good things about the industry nine wheel set though, if you go that way.

Good luck on the search .