mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Choosing BTLOS rims for a mid-travel 29er wheelset

I am going to be building up a set of 29er wheels for a Santa Cruz Hightower. A little about me: I've been riding over 20 years, and while I generally favor keeping my wheels on the ground, the trails I ride are rocky and not always kind to wheels. Right now I am at 200 pounds, although I hope by the spring to be closer to my normal riding weight of 175. I am definitely more of a line picker than a basher in the rocks, but I do hope that going from a Specialized Epic to a Hightower will allow me to be more aggressive and less worried about 'good' lines.

In the past I have had good luck with Stans Arch and Flow rims. This time through, I'd like to try carbon rims, and after going through the thread on the chinese carbon rims, I've settled on moving forward with BTLOS. I am interested in using 2.35 - 2.6 inch tires.

There are two rims that catch my eye:

M-i29
    https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/all-...ess-compatible

M-i30
    https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/30mm...nduro-wheelset

I am looking for a balance of durability and lightweight. The M-i30 is listed at 410g and the M-i29 is listed at 460g. I intend to go with the Premium series either way (combination of T700 and T800 carbon fiber).

Any thoughts on which rim is the best combination of durability and lightweight for my intended use?

Barely in control
    I'd go with the heavier one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    I am going to be building up a set of 29er wheels for a Santa Cruz Hightower. A little about me: I've been riding over 20 years, and while I generally favor keeping my wheels on the ground, the trails I ride are rocky and not always kind to wheels. Right now I am at 200 pounds, although I hope by the spring to be closer to my normal riding weight of 175. I am definitely more of a line picker than a basher in the rocks, but I do hope that going from a Specialized Epic to a Hightower will allow me to be more aggressive and less worried about 'good' lines.

In the past I have had good luck with Stans Arch and Flow rims. This time through, I'd like to try carbon rims, and after going through the thread on the chinese carbon rims, I've settled on moving forward with BTLOS. I am interested in using 2.35 - 2.6 inch tires.

There are two rims that catch my eye:

M-i29
    https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/all-...ess-compatible

M-i30
    https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/30mm...nduro-wheelset

I am looking for a balance of durability and lightweight. The M-i30 is listed at 410g and the M-i29 is listed at 460g. I intend to go with the Premium series either way (combination of T700 and T800 carbon fiber).

Any thoughts on which rim is the best combination of durability and lightweight for my intended use?
    I just ordered some i29 with 240 hubs and D-light spokes. They have pretty good deal now for 11/11 sale and free upgrade to 54T star ratchet. It was about $940 total shipped. Hopefully they don't explode.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraMike View Post
    I just ordered some i29 with 240 hubs and D-light spokes. They have pretty good deal now for 11/11 sale and free upgrade to 54T star ratchet. It was about $940 total shipped. Hopefully they don't explode.
    I bought the same thing although I went with the Sapim Race spokes. I know they won't be the lightest thing out there, but it should be a nice, durable wheelset. Fingers crossed!

I'm bummed that I was a few weeks too soon to take advantage of the 11/11 sale - great deal! My wheels just shipped. Should have them in 5-10 days.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What tires size do you use for your new wheels? What size of tires SC HT 29er can clear in the back?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hvc View Post
    What tires size do you use for your new wheels? What size of tires SC HT 29er can clear in the back?

Thanks,
    I don't have the new wheels yet - they are actually going through Customs in NYC now. Hopefully they are cleared on Monday or Tuesday.

My intent is to run a 2.6 Nobby Nic on the front and a 2.35 NN on the rear to start. Currently though I am using a 2.35 Maxxis Minion DHF on the front and a 2.4 WT Rekon on the rear - this is on the stock wheels. The 2.4 WT Rekon is tight; it actually doesn't seem to have much better clearance than the 2.6 Rekon that my friend is using on his Hightower with the same wheels. Maybe a little more clearance, but not as much as the difference in the indicated sizes would have lead me to think.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't have the new wheels yet - they are actually going through Customs in NYC now. Hopefully they are cleared on Monday or Tuesday.

My intent is to run a 2.6 Nobby Nic on the front and a 2.35 NN on the rear to start. Currently though I am using a 2.35 Maxxis Minion DHF on the front and a 2.4 WT Rekon on the rear - this is on the stock wheels. The 2.4 WT Rekon is tight; it actually doesn't seem to have much better clearance than the 2.6 Rekon that my friend is using on his Hightower with the same wheels. Maybe a little more clearance, but not as much as the difference in the indicated sizes would have lead me to think.
    Thanks for the info. Did you get your wheels yet? How'd it go?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by hvc View Post
    Thanks for the info. Did you get your wheels yet? How'd it go?

Thanks.
    My apologies - I posted about my experience in the 'original' BTLOS thread - check out post #43.

Overall, I am very happy. They were about 100g heavier than expected, but for my purposes, that isn't a big deal - hopefully they are that much more durable. The build quality of both the rims and the wheels looks great, and the customer service from BTLOS was fantastic. Overall, I would definitely recommend them, and at this point I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them in the future.

hvc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My apologies - I posted about my experience in the 'original' BTLOS thread - check out post #43.

Overall, I am very happy. They were about 100g heavier than expected, but for my purposes, that isn't a big deal - hopefully they are that much more durable. The build quality of both the rims and the wheels looks great, and the customer service from BTLOS was fantastic. Overall, I would definitely recommend them, and at this point I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them in the future.
    Thanks for sharing, glad you've enjoyed them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    After a lot of analysis paralysis I bought a similar set from BTLOS during the just past Black Friday sale. I ride a Tallboy 3 which can't fit any 29er tire wider than about 2.35 and so went with the WM-25A (IW=26.5mm). Since I haven't bent a rim or broken a spoke in the last several years on alloy wheels I'm hoping I can get away with these lighter, thinner walled rims. We'll see what shows up, but Amy at BTLOS indicates that they "should" come in somewhere near 1400g, which would be fine with me.