Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?

Just wondering since they are a lot cheaper. They are on eBay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Gotta wonder why they are a lot cheaper....
    You might get malk instead of milk.
    Ever use cheap chinese tools/wrenches compared to American/German/Swiss? Can you say soft or brittle steel?
    I'd be pretty leary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The ratchet machining on the high tooth rachets has to be pretty precise and made out of a metal that doesn't wear quickly...I will depend on the swiss for that

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The DT Swiss ratchets are also made in China. Yes, I will prolly buy the original ratchets.

I would like to hear from someone who has tried the Chinese stuff.

damned rocks...
    Bontrager also make 54t ratchet for theirs version of the DT 240s, and the last time I saw they were cheaper.

mtbr member
    The 54t ratchets are the most expensive.

Give the Chinese ones a try. Worst case, they break. Takes 5 minutes to swap them.

mtbr member
    I would stay clear. What would happen if it let go on a technical rocky section standing climb and you got injured by just trying to save a few bucks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
    I would stay clear. What would happen if it let go on a technical rocky section standing climb and you got injured by just trying to save a few bucks?
    The same thing that would happen to the DT's ones in the same situation.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Or you would just stop pedaling and stop. Then because you had thought about it and you had the original DT versions in your pocket, did some quick maintenance trail side and swapped them out and carried on riding vowing to tell the world on this forum how shit the Chinese ones are.
    Not everything is catastrophic when it fails...

damned rocks...
    Did any of you actually exploded a hub, or broke a chain while applying enough force to brake a chain?
    Well let me tell you, it can make you feel pain in more than one place and more than you imagine it would.
    Not to mention that you can damage your hub.
    I have DT Swiss hubs with the ratchet system, and I wouldn't touch those Chinese ratchets with a stick.
    Last edited by Aglo; 08-05-2018 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    The same thing that would happen to the DT's ones in the same situation.
    At least the DT ones are of know quality with a proven track record. These no name Chinese ones are of unknown quality so if you want to chance it to save a few bucks have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Or you would just stop pedaling and stop. Then because you had thought about it and you had the original DT versions in your pocket, did some quick maintenance trail side and swapped them out and carried on riding vowing to tell the world on this forum how shit the Chinese ones are.
    Not everything is catastrophic when it fails...
    Apparently you've never had drive train component break while standing up on a steep climb. It may be uneventful or you may screw yourself up. It's a gamble I would not want to chance with an unknown quality cheap part just to save a few bucks.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    You couldn't pay me to use them. I suffered with my stock 18t ratchet till I had the money for the DTswiss ones.

I learned a long time ago and a few minor scars and such later, being cheap doesnt pay. Knowing my bike wont leave me stranded unless I shred a tire without carrying a ton of spare parts makes riding more enjoyable. Same reason I refuse to use tubes in ANY of my bikes. Tried and true set ups and parts are the only way to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Throw the 18t set in your pack. Worst case, you can install them trail side. It's hardly a risk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Throw the 18t set in your pack. Worst case, you can install them trail side. It's hardly a risk.
    If the metal used is of a lower quality, you may risk contaminating your hub with metal dust as it wears, which can't be good for the rest of the hub. Look how small this part is to withstand a huge amount of repetitive force as you pedal.

But who knows, these may be identical in every way to the DT ones off the same manufacturing line and the Chinese are just pumping out extra runs and selling them on the cheap?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What kind of savings are we talking?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    What kind of savings are we talking?

$35.00

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by S.D.M.F. View Post
    $35.00
    I'm cheap, but just get the DT one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I'm cheap, but just get the DT one.

I did... I still would like to know from someone who tried them out, I know someone had to have done so.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I did... I still would like to know from someone who tried them out, I know someone had to have done so.
    They probably died..😉😆

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    They probably died..
    Bwaha

mtbr member
    If the metal used is of a lower quality, you may risk contaminating your hub with metal dust as it wears, which can't be good for the rest of the hub. Look how small this part is to withstand a huge amount of repetitive force as you pedal.

But who knows, these may be identical in every way to the DT ones off the same manufacturing line and the Chinese are just pumping out extra runs and selling them on the cheap?
    They use sealed bearings. If I wanted 54 tooth engagement (which I dont as even the DT ones are known to fail under bigger riders) I would buy these in a heart beat and be the test subject without issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    They use sealed bearings. If I wanted 54 tooth engagement (which I dont as even the DT ones are known to fail under bigger riders) I would buy these in a heart beat and be the test subject without issue.
    They also have the 36t for sale for like $40, give them a try....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18T-36T-54T...item2cd7e9db53

mtbr member
    They also have the 36t for sale for like $40, give them a try....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18T-36T-54T...item2cd7e9db53
    Ive already got the 36 tooth DT ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bump: anyone actually try the Chinese 54t out, or are we still wallowing in hypotheticals based on apples-to-oranges anecdotal evidence with unrelated products?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtz433 View Post
    Bump: anyone actually try the Chinese 54t out, or are we still wallowing in hypotheticals based on apples-to-oranges anecdotal evidence with unrelated products?
    We were waiting for you to test it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    At least the DT ones are of know quality with a proven track record. These no name Chinese ones are of unknown quality so if you want to chance it to save a few bucks have at it.

Apparently you've never had drive train component break while standing up on a steep climb. It may be uneventful or you may screw yourself up. It's a gamble I would not want to chance with an unknown quality cheap part just to save a few bucks.
    what a *****

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Bontrager also make 54t ratchet for theirs version of the DT 240s, and the last time I saw they were cheaper.
    That's interesting. I can find them for cheaper than the no name Chinese ones. Get it together, China!

edit - I was wrong. this place was selling them PER Ratchet, so you have to buy two. Who does that?
    Last edited by Schulze; 12-26-2018 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Iíll bite. Just got a new rear wheel built with a DTSwiss 350 hub. Bought the Chinese version 54t ratchet. Didnít come with the special grease so is used a combination of Slick Honey and Dumonde Freehub oil as a substitute. Iíll report back with how these lasts. Iíll probably keep the stock 18t set in my pack for a few rides as a precaution. At first glance, these Chinese ratchets look great. The machining looks solid and the design replicated the original. Whatís more is that the packaging bears very similar marks to the DT Swiss product all the way down to the packing labeling and the coding in the label. Wouldnít be surprised if these were made in the same factory as the genuine versions. Anyways, Iíll report back once Iíve been able to put some miles in on them. With how strong the ratchet design is compared to a pawl design, Iíd be surprised if I had a failure. I used some Chinese hubs in the past with a 7 pawl design. They lasted me for years without failure. Hereís hoping for the best!
    Last edited by Poopshute; 12-28-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Hitching a ride
    If they spec'd the right material and machined it correctly, the only remaining step to mess up is the heat treat. Since DT already did the engineering for them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There have been failures already. CarbonFan has stopped supplying them in their wheel builds and now uses genuine DT Swiss ratchets for 36 and 54t options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My chinese 54t lasted all of a few weeks before skipping more and more and chewing themselves apart, DT originals have not had any issues with. They look identical, but sub par materials, heat treating, whatever. Just look at how small the teeth are and you'll see why you want the real deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Don't know about the newer 54t ones but I've been using the 48t for a few months without issues.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the real-life experience. I promise to report back when I get some time with the 54t versions I have installed. Iím a heavy rider so Iíll be able to put them to the test.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    There have been failures already. CarbonFan has stopped supplying them in their wheel builds and now uses genuine DT Swiss ratchets for 36 and 54t options.
    This ^^^.

I had a set of the Chinese 54t rachets on my Carbonfan/DT 350's and had to replace them with the geniune DT's (Chinese 54t's started skipping on the 2nd ride). I reported this to Carbonfan who said that it was the first time that this happened. Interesting that they are now using the genuine DT's 樂.

I've ridden the genuine 54t's for about 900 miles since with no issues. Awesome performance and I've since built a second set of Carbonfan wheels for a different bike with the DT Swiss 350/54t combo. Money 
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz HT LT (2018)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Spot Rollik 150 (2019)
    Specialized Fatboy (2015)

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by romphaia View Post
    Don't know about the newer 54t ones but I've been using the 48t for a few months without issues.
    I have never seen a 48t. Only 18, 36 & 54t.

Are you sure it's a 48t?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by puckcoach3 View Post
    This ^^^.

I had a set of the Chinese 54t rachets on my Carbonfan/DT 350's and had to replace them with the geniune DT's (Chinese 54t's started skipping on the 2nd ride). I reported this to Carbonfan who said that it was the first time that this happened. Interesting that they are now using the genuine DT's 樂.

I've ridden the genuine 54t's for about 900 miles since with no issues. Awesome performance and I've since built a second set of Carbonfan wheels for a different bike with the DT Swiss 350/54t combo. Money 
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblytumbly View Post
    My chinese 54t lasted all of a few weeks before skipping more and more and chewing themselves apart, DT originals have not had any issues with. They look identical, but sub par materials, heat treating, whatever. Just look at how small the teeth are and you'll see why you want the real deal.
    Just like I mentioned in post 7 and 11. At least you weren't injured.

mtbr member
    This ^^^.

Just like I mentioned in post 7 and 11. At least you weren't injured.
    Wish me luck! Will report back on my findings. I'll be hitting up fairly non-technical trails and if I blow out the Chinese 54t, I won't be climbing anything that will injure me (blew up a XT cassette on a section that will get ridden with this 54t and was fine). I'll report back with my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I have never seen a 48t. Only 18, 36 & 54t.

Are you sure it's a 48t?
    I think there was a special run of these 48 versions by someone. DT has only ever made 18/36/54 versions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopshute View Post
    Thanks for the real-life experience. I promise to report back when I get some time with the 54t versions I have installed. Iím a heavy rider so Iíll be able to put them to the test.
    Any word on these or did they explode and kill you?😉

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bammer55 View Post
    Any word on these or did they explode and kill you?😉
    Haha! Trust me, if there's a huge firey explosion, I'll make sure to take pictures before getting launched in the air Michale Bay style. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to put many miles on the bike. It's mainly been "road" miles. According to Strava, I've put 26.3 miles on these ratches. Not much... sorry. However, I have been able to do a few decent stretches of downhill on a bike path (about 10 miles total between three rides) of pure coasting twice now. Speeds were around 15-18mph. The ratchets are still holding strong while pedaling. I promise to continue to update this thread with the results as the weather clears up and I can get out more often. I'm hoping by Spring/Summer, I'll have a good idea if these will hold up. If not, I'll go the genuine DT route. Jury is still out...

mtbr member
    So Iíve put over 50 miles on these ratchets of mainly mellow winter riding paved gravel trails. There are still hills to climb and Iím putting down decent power to the cranks being 210lbs or so. The 54t Chinese ratchets have held up just fine so far. Most of the riding Iíve been doing is wet/snow/dirt and even in these conditions, no issues. I did use a mix of slick honey and free hub oil as a lubricant on the ratchet as the Chinese versions didnít come with the DT specific red lube. Iíll update again once it dries out here in Colorado and I can actually hit up some real trails.

I will say this much, the rides Iíve been doing contain a lot of long stretches of coasting. I believe coasting is what puts the most amount of wear on a ratchet system. With that being said, the ratchet is still holding strong not skipping a beat when I push down hard to pedal.

The more I looked at the packaging of the Chinese version and compared it to a genuine DT ratchet... Iím beginning to think try are the same design and quality. Heck, maybe ever coming out of the same factory as the genuine DTís?
    Last edited by Poopshute; 03-23-2019 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just wanted to give my $0.02.. I put the generic 36 ratchets in my hubs about 100 miles ago. They worked fine, no issues, until today. I was torquing pretty hard on a technical uphill, and the freehub let go.

From then on, it could only accommodate the slightest pressure before it slipped. I had to walk out a couple miles to the nearest road, and get my wife to pick me up.

I tore it down this-evening, and the parts look perfect, like brand new. I have no idea why once it gave way, it wouldn't work again. I'm wondering if there is a small nick in a tooth, and the metal fragment is preventing the ratchets from meshing, but it's hard to say.

In all fairness, the generic ratchets that I bought didn't come with grease, so I used a thin coating of heavy oil instead. That could have lead to the issue, but no telling for sure.

I cleaned the freehub and hub, lightly greased the original ratchets (18 poe), and I think I'm back in action for now.

To be honest, I didn't really notice any real improvement with the 36 poe over the 18 anyway, and I wish I never 'upgraded'. It ruined a perfectly awesome day to ride, I was planning to go 4 hours, only made it 1.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/ek4TrQk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm going to order a couple chiner 36T for shits-n-giggles from Fleabay, next time they issue a 15% off coupon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anger View Post
    I'm going to order a couple chiner 36T for shits-n-giggles from Fleabay, next time they issue a 15% off coupon.
    My Chinese 54T ratchets are still going strong after adding in a few MTB rides. I just relubed them as we're getting out of winter/wet season just to be safe. Again, I used a combination of hub oil and slick honey. Might just buckle down and buy the DTSwiss stuff just to be safe as it's a bit more tacky.

For the person above who blew out their generic ratchets... I would assume genuine DT's would do the same thing if you were just using oil. The oil spreads out too quickly and doesn't stick to the ratchets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've got a couple hundred miles on my Chinese 54t ratchets, and no issues. I did install them with the DT grease though. I do think the proper grease is important. I just ordered two more sets for my other bikes too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by textbookonewk View Post
    I've got a couple hundred miles on my Chinese 54t ratchets, and no issues. I did install them with the DT grease though. I do think the proper grease is important. I just ordered two more sets for my other bikes too.
    Yup, my Chinese ratchets are still holding up. However, instead of using my own concoction grease/oil mix, I just bought the red DT stuff. Cleaned and applied it. Iíll report back if I have any failures through the riding season.

mtbr member
    Another update... into July now and I ride semi-regularly (about 20-30 miles a week). I can finally say that... the Chinese ratchets.... have finally........................................... .....................

NOT exploded. Sorry, had to do it. I'm using the official DT Swiss grease on them and have serviced them once since installing them (just wiping the old grease off an re-applying some new grease). No skips or anything. At this point, if/when I need to replace the ratchets, I'm going straight to the Chinese versions. They are holding up fine and I have complete confidence in them (with the right grease) at this point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Another update... into July now and I ride semi-regularly (about 20-30 miles a week). I can finally say that... the Chinese ratchets.... have finally........................................... .....................

NOT exploded. Sorry, had to do it. I'm using the official DT Swiss grease on them and have serviced them once since installing them (just wiping the old grease off an re-applying some new grease). No skips or anything. At this point, if/when I need to replace the ratchets, I'm going straight to the Chinese versions. They are holding up fine and I have complete confidence in them (with the right grease) at this point.
    lol, you actually tricked me a bit there. I was like AH! oh...

mtbr member

Okay -- so you bought the DT Swiss grease (approximately $15.00). The 54T Chinese rachets are another $60.00. So you're in for $75.00. The actual DT Swiss 54T ratchets are $100 and it comes with the official DT Swiss grease. Is it really worth $25.00 to risk this upgrade ?? As someone that blew up a set of the knock-offs on my second ride, I say "no way". On a $5K+ bike, this savings is noise and comes with significant risk. I'm glad you're having success but for anyone looking to do this upgrade, I recommend the "real thing". I have no affiliation to DT Swiss or any other company related to the bike industry ...
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz HT LT (2018)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Spot Rollik 150 (2019)

mtbr member
    Okay -- so you bought the DT Swiss grease (approximately $15.00). The 54T Chinese rachets are another $60.00. So you're in for $75.00. The actual DT Swiss 54T ratchets are $100 and it comes with the official DT Swiss grease. Is it really worth $25.00 to risk this upgrade ?? As someone that blew up a set of the knock-offs on my second ride, I say "no way". On a $5K+ bike, this savings is noise and comes with significant risk. I'm glad you're having success but for anyone looking to do this upgrade, I recommend the "real thing". I have no affiliation to DT Swiss or any other company related to the bike industry ...
    So, your numbers are a bit off. Grease cost me $13, Chinese ratchets cost me $52. Total comes out to $65, no shipping, no tax. The next time I want to upgrade the ratchets, it's actually only going to cost me $52 as I won't need the extra grease. I'm not saving a ton but bike parts add up. That $35 savings can go to a new tire or whatever. Each to their own of course. The question from the OP was "are the Chinese ratchets any good?". My answer is YES!

mtbr member
    Bit of a history lesson.. dt swiss 54t rarcher first came out they were around a $35-$40.

Suddenly they raised it to the current price. I know because I bought at several sets at cheaper price said before all retail chains raised price...

Always wondered how dtswiss justified the increase in price.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

high pivot witchcraft
    Why anyone would contaminate their bike with this shit, for the cost of a lunch, is beyond me. The DT Swiss 36 and 54 tooth star ratchets are delicate enough as it is. To each their own though. Consider carrying your OEM 18 tooth in your pack for when the inevitable occurs.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Why anyone would contaminate their bike with this shit, for the cost of a lunch, is beyond me. The DT Swiss 36 and 54 tooth star ratchets are delicate enough as it is. To each their own though. Consider carrying your OEM 18 tooth in your pack for when the inevitable occurs.
    I mean, whatís NOT made in China anymore. Iím fairly certain the DTSwiss ratchets are made in China as well. My stock 18t ratchet travels with me regardless if the 54t is genuine or not.

Short-Change-Hero
    Bought used 350 hubs with the DT Swiss 36t upgrade in them and pretty sure the PO said he ran close to 1k miles a year on them. I ride 30-50 miles a week when the weather is warm (put over 1k miles on them last year) and had no issues. Swapped over to new bike this year and put over 500 miles so far with only one service. Sorry but while the cost savings is tempting, I won't risk it detonating on a trail for me simply because I wanted to save $20+.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Bought used 350 hubs with the DT Swiss 36t upgrade in them and pretty sure the PO said he ran close to 1k miles a year on them. I ride 30-50 miles a week when the weather is warm (put over 1k miles on them last year) and had no issues. Swapped over to new bike this year and put over 500 miles so far with only one service. Sorry but while the cost savings is tempting, I won't risk it detonating on a trail for me simply because I wanted to save $20+.
    Totally get your point of you and respect it. I'm very mechanically inclined and willing to take the "risk". I've done the research and the majority of responses I've seen regarding these ratchets failing is with the ratchets themselves (not so much the hub portion). Meaning, if these ratchets fail, it's swapping in a new pair (genuine or knockoff). I was willing to "take one for the team" to try out these ratchets. I'm glad they are working for me. I completely understand why others would want to stay clear.

high pivot witchcraft
    I am having trouble rationalizing all of this in my simple little mind but in fairness, my spending habits when it comes to bikes are likely more mind boggling to most, given that I am usually at the polar opposite end of the spectrum from Chinese knock off components.

Itís the reliability and precision issues I canít get my head around. Why buy DT Swiss in the first place?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    I appreciate and enjoyed OP (and other mtbrs) sharing their experiences, especially taking the time and follow-through over several months.

Though I myself would not go the ratchet route OP did, it was fun to read his story, and I learned some stuff too.

Part of the fun for some folks is finding a good/quality possibly original source, and judging for self whether or not to use. FYI, I did that with my current pedals (original designs; not copy/clone), which I'm sure some folks would never do.

note/edit: I mean poopshute when I refer to OP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I am having trouble rationalizing all of this in my simple little mind but in fairness, my spending habits when it comes to bikes are likely more mind boggling to most, given that I am usually at the polar opposite end of the spectrum from Chinese knock off components.

Itís the reliability and precision issues I canít get my head around. Why buy DT Swiss in the first place?
    Call it a quest... I don't know. Like you said... we all have different things that make us tick. For me it was to find out if a company like DTSwiss (who does have parts made in Taiwan and possibly China) has parts made out of a Chinese factory. Many of these parts are built in the same factory and then simply branded in different ways. That's the best answer I can give for my desire to try these. This back-and-forth is a dead horse, no need to beat it anymore. To the OP, I think he/she has all the information they need.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_sbay View Post
    I appreciate and enjoyed OP (and other mtbrs) sharing their experiences, especially taking the time and follow-through over several months.

Though I myself would not go the ratchet route OP did, it was fun to read his story, and I learned some stuff too.

Part of the fun for some folks is finding a good/quality possibly original source, and judging for self whether or not to use. FYI, I did that with my current pedals (original designs; not copy/clone), which I'm sure some folks would never do.
    Exactly... there's some fun in trying stuff like this. Glad the experience went well for me. It's those times it doesn't work out and you end up having to pay more for the more expensive option that these types of journeys aren't the greatest. YOLO I guess.. ha!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Very good write up from one Chinese suppliers here

https://tinyurl.com/yy8qse2m

mtbr member
    Poopshoot which Chinese 'brand' did you get? How about PuckCoach3 or anyone else that had failures on your Chinese star ratchets do you remember what brand.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6 View Post
    Poopshoot which Chinese 'brand' did you get? How about PuckCoach3 or anyone else that had failures on your Chinese star ratchets do you remember what brand.
    I bought an unbranded version of Ali Express. I just looked for versions that had mimicked packaging as DT Swiss. Honestly, the link posted a by KevinNZ a couple posts up would be a seller I would try.

And just to be clear... I have NOT had any failures with the one I bought. I did opt to buy the DT Swiss lube after the fact but that little tub will last me a lifetime. At this point, I wouldn't hesitate buying a knock-off again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6 View Post
    No brand -- Chinese knock-off.

As I said in an earlier post, IMO, not worth the minimal savings. I have 1500 miles of rocky, techy, dusty Colorado/Utah gnar with no issues.. Just buy the DT Swiss product, install and go ride ...
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz HT LT (2018)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Spot Rollik 150 (2019)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinNZ View Post

Ztto is looking like a pretty legit chinese brand. Friend bought their dropper remote and its quality for the price. I want to try one of their xd cassettes.

Im willing to try their 36t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Stumbled across this while looking for any clues on how good ZTTO 240s style hubs actually are. I have been using a 54t from them now for over a year on my gravel bike (and made approx 6000km with it which is 3700 miles) and they have performed flawlessly. I do own the original DT Swiss 54t upgrade ratchet as well because I bought it for my MTB 3 years ago. On comparison they look identical, down to every detail. I wouldn't be surprised if they are sourced in the same factory. I now ordered the ZTTO 240 style hubs and will make a side by side comparison as well.
    Fatbike
    Gravel bike
    Vintage steel 26" MTB
    Vintage steel road bike
    Vintage steel randonneur bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by automa View Post
    Stumbled across this while looking for any clues on how good ZTTO 240s style hubs actually are. I have been using a 54t from them now for over a year on my gravel bike (and made approx 6000km with it which is 3700 miles) and they have performed flawlessly. I do own the original DT Swiss 54t upgrade ratchet as well because I bought it for my MTB 3 years ago. On comparison they look identical, down to every detail. I wouldn't be surprised if they are sourced in the same factory. I now ordered the ZTTO 240 style hubs and will make a side by side comparison as well.
    Interesting. Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by automa View Post
    Gravel bike use is apples to oranges. Iím not sure why youíd even need 54t for a gravel bike.

The torque exerted when climbing techy rocks is way more than youíd ever exert on a gravel bike. This is when the engagement for a rear hub is most crucial and this is when they would/could fail.

Mountain bikes are expensive. If you want to save $$$, buy a used bike or last year model on clearance. Saving a few $$$ on knock off rachets will just get you stuck someplace far from your car doing the walk of shame 😫 ...
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz HT LT (2018)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Spot Rollik 150 (2019)

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ We have several gravel bikes on our trails that ride all the techy stuff and have no issues following the squishy bikes.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I happened upon this thread looking for the same info as the OP.
    TBH, I found the DT Swiss 36 ratchet to be very delicate which is a huge disappointment for such an expensive hub. 18 just isnít even close enough to bring enough engagement once youíve tried something like a Hadley or similar. With the advice of the DT tech the 36t needs more care and more often lube intervals but after about two years the teeth started chipping. Not nearly long enough imo. The 54t would be even more delicate with its small teeth. I would never buy another DT Swiss hub from what I know now.
    Anyway, with my experience with the original equipment, I thought- how much worse could the Chinese part be?
    Thanks to all whoíve shared their actual experience. FO to those who who didnít respect the OPís request for hear from those with ACTUAL experience with the part. Nobody cares what you think!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post
    I happened upon this thread looking for the same info as the OP.
    TBH, I found the DT Swiss 36 ratchet to be very delicate which is a huge disappointment for such an expensive hub. 18 just isnít even close enough to bring enough engagement once youíve tried something like a Hadley or similar. With the advice of the DT tech the 36t needs more care and more often lube intervals but after about two years the teeth started chipping. Not nearly long enough imo. The 54t would be even more delicate with its small teeth. I would never buy another DT Swiss hub from what I know now.
    Anyway, with my experience with the original equipment, I thought- how much worse could the Chinese part be?
    Thanks to all whoíve shared their actual experience. FO to those who who didnít respect the OPís request for hear from those with ACTUAL experience with the part. Nobody cares what you think!
    Did you use to much grease or to thick of a grease? Generally that chipping happens when the star ratchet is over greased and they don't fully seat into each other when you apply sudden torque.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Since I used DTís own grease, I have to assume it was the correct grease to use.
    As far as how much grease I applied, thatís hard to say but I donít think that was the problem. The reason the tech guy recommends more service intervals (he said twice as often as the 18t option) us because the smaller teeth are easier to chip off. Once micro chips from the ends of the teeth begin to break off (which they inevitably do), the teeth as a whole donít mesh as well together. If those micro chips are not removed over time they get worse and thatís when failure occurs. The regular cleaning and regreasing intervals clean those away so that the teeth mesh properly without metal chips in the way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I use the 36t ratchet too and haven't had any issues after 2,500 miles. It does suck you've had problems with it. General consensus on the DT hubs is they're some of the most reliable and easy to service hubs you can get. If it does fail on the trail it only takes a few mins to throw in a spare wratchet. The same can't be said for anything with pawls.

I've been relubing the ratchet every 300 miles. Super easy without even needing to remove the cassette. It only takes a thin coat since the lube is only there for when you're free wheeling. Otherwise the ratchet is engauged and any extra grease will prevent the teeth from fully seating.

Magically Delicious
    I have always experienced super reliability with the DT Star Ratchets. For the Clydes, the DT Star Ratchets are commonly the go-to dependable and reliable freehub that can take serious abuse and keep rolling. I have never seen the Star Ratchets as a "delicate" component; quite the opposite. Few freehubs are as easy to service as these.

Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?-20170806_125717.jpg Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?-20170806_125913.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have always experienced super reliability with the DT Star Ratchets. For the Clydes, the DT Star Ratchets are commonly the go-to dependable and reliable freehub that can take serious abuse and keep rolling. I have never seen the Star Ratchets as a "delicate" component; quite the opposite. Few freehubs are as easy to service as these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170806_125717.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	1328827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170806_125913.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	1328829
    I prefer a quiet hub but I've been thinking about using oil. Especially with more oblivious trail users at the moment a little extra noise wouldn't hurt. How often do you need to relube using oil instead of DT's grease?

Magically Delicious
    Actually, for all of my freehubs, I run oil in the winter and freehub grease in the summer. Yeah, the oil will likely be a little louder. All my my freehub (Star Ratchet or Pawl) get serviced about every 500 or so miles. It's just so easy to service them that if I have to remove the rear wheel for whatever reason, I will often service them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Name:	20170806_125717.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	1328827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170806_125913.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	1328829

Do you remove the sprockets before you remove the hub? Or just remove all in one piece?
    Specialized Stumpjumper 19 Carbon with lotsa mods

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can't speak for Cleared2Land but I just pull it off as one piece. There's no real reason to pull the cassette off to service the ratchet unless you want to check on the freehub body itself.

Magically Delicious
    I usually remove the cassette and clean it when I'm servicing the freehub, but there no reason to if you're only servicing the freehub.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?

Do realize that DT Swiss has all the ratchets machined in Taiwan. The parts has to first reach Switzerland, so they can include their branded red grease and get away with Country Of Origin(COO) listed as CH, or Switzerland before final packaging and export. Machining ratchets in Switzerland would truly raise retail costs closer to $200. Nobody gonna pay that, for two machined alloy gears and two springs. Discerning DT Swiss chose Taiwan, as they simply do not trust the notoriously cheap mainland Chinese to produce their highly reputable brand.

Itís the very same International trade loophole, Proctor & Gamble uses to label their China-made Braun electric shavers as ďMade in Germany.Ē Ship all the Chinese made parts to Germany for final assembly, packaging and export, to skirt out its true Asian origins.

Diabolical and clever marketing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Rider
    In the USA, AR-15 bolt carrier groups, made of high grade steel, are machined, heat treated, and surface treated. These can be found for $73 at Palmetto State Armory. I don't buy that machining these ratchets in CH would raise the retail price too much. Materials and machining cost are one of those expenses that do not vary much with location. The only cost savings would be in electricity or labor, which is very little on an automated machine. This truth is shown in the marginal cost savings for buying a fully CN unit.

mnt bike laws of physics
    If youíre running the 18t ratchet, itís no wonder you think they are reliable. They are known to be way more reliable (due to its geometry) than the 36t.
    For anything other than road riding, 18poe is totally unacceptable by todayís standards.

mtbr member
    If youíre running the 18t ratchet, itís no wonder you think they are reliable. They are known to be way more reliable (due to its geometry) than the 36t.
    For anything other than road riding, 18poe is totally unacceptable by todayís standards.
    I'm 280 pounds and have three riding seasons on a set of 36 tooth DT ratchets... On an Intense Recluse. All single track riding..

I service them once or twice a year and have had zero issues.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mnt bike laws of physics
    Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?-ee6c440f-f601-413c-83bd-c836d342c57e.jpgAre the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?-faa52457-e137-40c1-a38a-bdf51f699672.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinNZ View Post

Based on these photos from a reviewer of the Chinese ratchets, the Chinese part is Sh!t.
    Photos are of the original and Chinese versions. Can you tell which one is which? Subtle yet Huge difference in design and the way they mesh together.

mtbr member

Name:	EE6C440F-F601-413C-83BD-C836D342C57E.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	1329401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FAA52457-E137-40C1-A38A-BDF51F699672.jpg 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	1329403

Based on these photos from a reviewer of the Chinese ratchets, the Chinese part is Sh!t.
    Photos are of the original and Chinese versions. Can you tell which one of which? Subtle yet Huge difference in design and the way they mesh together.
    want to link the review the pictures came from?

mnt bike laws of physics
    R-Pierce, see Post #61

Magically Delicious
    Don't get too excited there yogi, those photos were all that I had to simply illustrate. I have a 54 t in my 350's that don't get ridden too much anymore. But thanks for the POE coaching and your opinion.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?-9723b783-5738-4bb8-b269-1d90817312c8.jpg
    I just took my DT Swiss ratchet out to regrease. This is exactly the reason why I was looking for something less expensive. Itís freaking crazy DT charges so much for these. These are the second set of 36s (third set all together including the original 18t ratchet) all of which has damaged teeth in this hub. This hub is on my gravel bike so it sees some pretty high power.
    I grease these more often than my other hubs.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^^ Have you tried just freehub oil? Grease could be part of the problem, particularly under power application..

mnt bike laws of physics
    No, Iíve always used the DT Swiss lube. Iím about finished with the tub I have, and I have that Demond Tech lube youíre using in the photo which I bought for my I9.
    Iíll try that next time if you think that would work better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    No, Iíve always used the DT Swiss lube. Iím about finished with the tub I have, and I have that Demond Tech lube youíre using in the photo which I bought for my I9.
    Iíll try that next time if you think that would work better.
    Got a pair of 36Ts on way. I'm thinking of trying out Chris King RingDrive lube on them. Someone claimed it to be better than the DT Swiss grease.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Reallytho View Post
    I'm thinking of trying out Chris King RingDrive lube on them. Someone claimed it to be better than the DT Swiss grease.
    King's Ring Lube would work fine in terms of appropriate mechanical lubrication.

Freehub lubricants...claiming one (appropriate) lubricant over another in terms of freehubs is entirely subjective. It depends on several factors and and your objective.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    King's Ring Lube would work fine in terms of appropriate mechanical lubrication.

Freehub lubricants...claiming one (appropriate) lubricant over another in terms of freehubs is entirely subjective. It depends on several factors and and your objective.
    Viscosity of the DT Swiss and Chris King lubes is very different as are Internals of each hub. CC is almost liquid. I would be concerned it would not stay in place on the star ratchets.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by attaboy View Post
    Viscosity of the DT Swiss and Chris King lubes is very different as are Internals of each hub. CC is almost liquid. I would be concerned it would not stay in place on the star ratchets.
    Freehub oil is commonly used too. There are choices in lubricant viscosities. Grease is not our only option.

mtbr member
    These are the second set of 36s (third set all together including the original 18t ratchet) all of which has damaged teeth in this hub. This hub is on my gravel bike so it sees some pretty high power.
    I grease these more often than my other hubs.
    It looks like you are using too much grease and the teeth arent fully engaging. Ruining 3 of these on a gravel bike is very very strange
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    It looks like you are using too much grease and the teeth arent fully engaging.
    DT Swiss laments in their Service Manuals "For an optimal functionality, a thin layer of grease is sufficient."

I have opened a few DT hubs to find some have serviced them a bit heavy on the grease. Some believe if a little grease is good, then more is better. This photo is from a DT Manual illustrating the proper amount of applied grease.

Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?-star-ratchet-lube.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    DT Swiss laments in their Service Manuals "For an optimal functionality, a thin layer of grease is sufficient."

I have opened a few DT hubs to find some have serviced them a bit heavy on the grease. Some believe if a little grease is good, then more is better. This photo is from a DT Manual illustrating the proper amount of applied grease.

Name:	Star Ratchet Lube.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	1329935
    I recently upgraded my 240's to 54t and went a little heavy on the grease to see how that would affect the noise. They were indeed quiet to start out, but after 3-4 rides, they have now reached full volume due to what i would believe is the *migration* of the excess grease away from the teeth. So unless you can pack them full like a ball joint with a grease zerk, slightly over-zealous greasing might not be a realistic long term concern.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Name:	EE6C440F-F601-413C-83BD-C836D342C57E.jpg 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	1329401Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FAA52457-E137-40C1-A38A-BDF51F699672.jpg 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	1329403

Photos are of the original and Chinese versions. Can you tell which one is which? Subtle yet Huge difference in design and the way they mesh together.
    Lately i've been curious how these parts are actually manufactured. Looking at them, it appears that they could very be made via MIM (metal injection molding). Folks often talk about being machined and perhaps there is some final dressing of the part after being heat treated but they just don't exhibit the precision of a CNC part unless their tooling is worn to shit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonF1 View Post
    They were indeed quiet to start out, but after 3-4 rides, they have now reached full volume due to what i would believe is the *migration* of the excess grease away from the teeth.
    Yup, many of the ratchets are machined out on the inside (to save weight) and the grease simply ends up in there. Doesn't really hurt anything but certainly doesn't quiet anything down once the grease is spread around a bit.
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO