mtbr member

Are the Chinese DT Swiss star ratchets any good?

Just wondering since they are a lot cheaper. They are on eBay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Gotta wonder why they are a lot cheaper....
    You might get malk instead of milk.
    Ever use cheap chinese tools/wrenches compared to American/German/Swiss? Can you say soft or brittle steel?
    I'd be pretty leary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The ratchet machining on the high tooth rachets has to be pretty precise and made out of a metal that doesn't wear quickly...I will depend on the swiss for that

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The DT Swiss ratchets are also made in China. Yes, I will prolly buy the original ratchets.

I would like to hear from someone who has tried the Chinese stuff.

damned rocks...
    Bontrager also make 54t ratchet for theirs version of the DT 240s, and the last time I saw they were cheaper.

mtbr member
    The 54t ratchets are the most expensive.

Give the Chinese ones a try. Worst case, they break. Takes 5 minutes to swap them.

mtbr member
    I would stay clear. What would happen if it let go on a technical rocky section standing climb and you got injured by just trying to save a few bucks?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glader60 View Post
    I would stay clear. What would happen if it let go on a technical rocky section standing climb and you got injured by just trying to save a few bucks?
    The same thing that would happen to the DT's ones in the same situation.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Or you would just stop pedaling and stop. Then because you had thought about it and you had the original DT versions in your pocket, did some quick maintenance trail side and swapped them out and carried on riding vowing to tell the world on this forum how shit the Chinese ones are.
    Not everything is catastrophic when it fails...

damned rocks...
    Did any of you actually exploded a hub, or broke a chain while applying enough force to brake a chain?
    Well let me tell you, it can make you feel pain in more than one place and more than you imagine it would.
    Not to mention that you can damage your hub.
    I have DT Swiss hubs with the ratchet system, and I wouldn't touch those Chinese ratchets with a stick.
    Last edited by Aglo; 08-05-2018 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    The same thing that would happen to the DT's ones in the same situation.
    At least the DT ones are of know quality with a proven track record. These no name Chinese ones are of unknown quality so if you want to chance it to save a few bucks have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    Or you would just stop pedaling and stop. Then because you had thought about it and you had the original DT versions in your pocket, did some quick maintenance trail side and swapped them out and carried on riding vowing to tell the world on this forum how shit the Chinese ones are.
    Not everything is catastrophic when it fails...
    Apparently you've never had drive train component break while standing up on a steep climb. It may be uneventful or you may screw yourself up. It's a gamble I would not want to chance with an unknown quality cheap part just to save a few bucks.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    You couldn't pay me to use them. I suffered with my stock 18t ratchet till I had the money for the DTswiss ones.

I learned a long time ago and a few minor scars and such later, being cheap doesnt pay. Knowing my bike wont leave me stranded unless I shred a tire without carrying a ton of spare parts makes riding more enjoyable. Same reason I refuse to use tubes in ANY of my bikes. Tried and true set ups and parts are the only way to go.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Throw the 18t set in your pack. Worst case, you can install them trail side. It's hardly a risk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Throw the 18t set in your pack. Worst case, you can install them trail side. It's hardly a risk.
    If the metal used is of a lower quality, you may risk contaminating your hub with metal dust as it wears, which can't be good for the rest of the hub. Look how small this part is to withstand a huge amount of repetitive force as you pedal.

But who knows, these may be identical in every way to the DT ones off the same manufacturing line and the Chinese are just pumping out extra runs and selling them on the cheap?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What kind of savings are we talking?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    What kind of savings are we talking?

$35.00

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by S.D.M.F. View Post
    $35.00
    I'm cheap, but just get the DT one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I'm cheap, but just get the DT one.

I did... I still would like to know from someone who tried them out, I know someone had to have done so.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I did... I still would like to know from someone who tried them out, I know someone had to have done so.
    They probably died..😉😆

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by robmac48 View Post
    They probably died..
    Bwaha

mtbr member
    If the metal used is of a lower quality, you may risk contaminating your hub with metal dust as it wears, which can't be good for the rest of the hub. Look how small this part is to withstand a huge amount of repetitive force as you pedal.

But who knows, these may be identical in every way to the DT ones off the same manufacturing line and the Chinese are just pumping out extra runs and selling them on the cheap?
    They use sealed bearings. If I wanted 54 tooth engagement (which I dont as even the DT ones are known to fail under bigger riders) I would buy these in a heart beat and be the test subject without issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by R_Pierce View Post
    They use sealed bearings. If I wanted 54 tooth engagement (which I dont as even the DT ones are known to fail under bigger riders) I would buy these in a heart beat and be the test subject without issue.
    They also have the 36t for sale for like $40, give them a try....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18T-36T-54T...item2cd7e9db53

mtbr member
    They also have the 36t for sale for like $40, give them a try....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18T-36T-54T...item2cd7e9db53
    Ive already got the 36 tooth DT ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Bump: anyone actually try the Chinese 54t out, or are we still wallowing in hypotheticals based on apples-to-oranges anecdotal evidence with unrelated products?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtz433 View Post
    Bump: anyone actually try the Chinese 54t out, or are we still wallowing in hypotheticals based on apples-to-oranges anecdotal evidence with unrelated products?
    We were waiting for you to test it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    At least the DT ones are of know quality with a proven track record. These no name Chinese ones are of unknown quality so if you want to chance it to save a few bucks have at it.

Apparently you've never had drive train component break while standing up on a steep climb. It may be uneventful or you may screw yourself up. It's a gamble I would not want to chance with an unknown quality cheap part just to save a few bucks.
    what a *****

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Bontrager also make 54t ratchet for theirs version of the DT 240s, and the last time I saw they were cheaper.
    That's interesting. I can find them for cheaper than the no name Chinese ones. Get it together, China!

edit - I was wrong. this place was selling them PER Ratchet, so you have to buy two. Who does that?
    Last edited by Schulze; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Iíll bite. Just got a new rear wheel built with a DTSwiss 350 hub. Bought the Chinese version 54t ratchet. Didnít come with the special grease so is used a combination of Slick Honey and Dumonde Freehub oil as a substitute. Iíll report back with how these lasts. Iíll probably keep the stock 18t set in my pack for a few rides as a precaution. At first glance, these Chinese ratchets look great. The machining looks solid and the design replicated the original. Whatís more is that the packaging bears very similar marks to the DT Swiss product all the way down to the packing labeling and the coding in the label. Wouldnít be surprised if these were made in the same factory as the genuine versions. Anyways, Iíll report back once Iíve been able to put some miles in on them. With how strong the ratchet design is compared to a pawl design, Iíd be surprised if I had a failure. I used some Chinese hubs in the past with a 7 pawl design. They lasted me for years without failure. Hereís hoping for the best!
    Last edited by Poopshute; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:34 AM.

Barely in control
    If they spec'd the right material and machined it correctly, the only remaining step to mess up is the heat treat. Since DT already did the engineering for them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There have been failures already. CarbonFan has stopped supplying them in their wheel builds and now uses genuine DT Swiss ratchets for 36 and 54t options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My chinese 54t lasted all of a few weeks before skipping more and more and chewing themselves apart, DT originals have not had any issues with. They look identical, but sub par materials, heat treating, whatever. Just look at how small the teeth are and you'll see why you want the real deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Don't know about the newer 54t ones but I've been using the 48t for a few months without issues.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the real-life experience. I promise to report back when I get some time with the 54t versions I have installed. Iím a heavy rider so Iíll be able to put them to the test.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    There have been failures already. CarbonFan has stopped supplying them in their wheel builds and now uses genuine DT Swiss ratchets for 36 and 54t options.
    This ^^^.

I had a set of the Chinese 54t rachets on my Carbonfan/DT 350's and had to replace them with the geniune DT's (Chinese 54t's started skipping on the 2nd ride). I reported this to Carbonfan who said that it was the first time that this happened. Interesting that they are now using the genuine DT's 樂.

I've ridden the genuine 54t's for about 900 miles since with no issues. Awesome performance and I've since built a second set of Carbonfan wheels for a different bike with the DT Swiss 350/54t combo. Money 
    Yeti SB5.5 (2018)
    Santa Cruz Hightower OG 29er (2016)
    Yeti SB5 (2016)
    Specialized Fatboy (2015)

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by romphaia View Post
    Don't know about the newer 54t ones but I've been using the 48t for a few months without issues.
    I have never seen a 48t. Only 18, 36 & 54t.

Are you sure it's a 48t?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by puckcoach3 View Post
    This ^^^.

I had a set of the Chinese 54t rachets on my Carbonfan/DT 350's and had to replace them with the geniune DT's (Chinese 54t's started skipping on the 2nd ride). I reported this to Carbonfan who said that it was the first time that this happened. Interesting that they are now using the genuine DT's 樂.

I've ridden the genuine 54t's for about 900 miles since with no issues. Awesome performance and I've since built a second set of Carbonfan wheels for a different bike with the DT Swiss 350/54t combo. Money 
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblytumbly View Post
    My chinese 54t lasted all of a few weeks before skipping more and more and chewing themselves apart, DT originals have not had any issues with. They look identical, but sub par materials, heat treating, whatever. Just look at how small the teeth are and you'll see why you want the real deal.
    Just like I mentioned in post 7 and 11. At least you weren't injured.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by puckcoach3 View Post
    This ^^^.

Just like I mentioned in post 7 and 11. At least you weren't injured.
    Wish me luck! Will report back on my findings. I'll be hitting up fairly non-technical trails and if I blow out the Chinese 54t, I won't be climbing anything that will injure me (blew up a XT cassette on a section that will get ridden with this 54t and was fine). I'll report back with my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I have never seen a 48t. Only 18, 36 & 54t.

Are you sure it's a 48t?
    I think there was a special run of these 48 versions by someone. DT has only ever made 18/36/54 versions.