Cassette install question on new wheels- Mtbr.com
    Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009

Cassette install question on new wheels

I plan on removing the cassette for maint down the road, but am not so sure about using grease like it says too. Was wondering about anti seize since it can be spread out more evenly and thinner then grease (I guess I could find a brush for the grease), and since it a little less likely to attract dirt like grease. Plus it says to apply grease to the lock ring threads which to me seem a bit iffy since there's so little thread contact area and it's aluminum. I don't have a crows foot, to fit the lock ring tool to be able to use a torque wrench....so I think the grease may make a possibility to over tighten it. Idk,
    need advice/input.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokart2
    I plan on removing the cassette for maint down the road, but am not so sure about using grease like it says too. Was wondering about anti seize since it can be spread out more evenly and thinner then grease (I guess I could find a brush for the grease), and since it a little less likely to attract dirt like grease. Plus it says to apply grease to the lock ring threads which to me seem a bit iffy since there's so little thread contact area and it's aluminum. I don't have a crows foot, to fit the lock ring tool to be able to use a torque wrench....so I think the grease may make a possibility to over tighten it. Idk,
    need advice/input.
    Use grease. No reason for using anti seize. All threads should be greased. You can not properly tighten them without lube. It does not take much
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

greedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokart2
    need advice/input.
    You talking about putting grease or anti seize on the freehub body? I would definitely use a little grease on the lockring. Also, Park Tools FR-5 is cheap and works with a normal socket (can't remember the socket size).
    Addicted to the Classifieds

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    if a lube is recommended then the torque spec is given with that type of lube in mind. Do not use another type of lube or no lube at all.

This is standard practice for everything ever made with a toque specification on a fastener.

Members who have read this thread: 0