mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Carbon wheel comparison Q

I am building up a steel frame singlespeed hard tail 29er (Reeb Dykelous 2.0) to be used for backcountry riding and racing on rugged singletrack (ranging from 12 hour races to AZT300 CO Trail Race, etc)...
    I am currently riding a Reeb hard tail with Specialized Roval Carbon 23mm internal wheels (from 2013). My question is this (and I am sure that it has been asked a few times, so feel free to tell me to search for an answer if there is already a thread out there):
    I am looking for the lightest and most durable 29mm-31mm internal width wheel set available, but not necessarily the stiffest. I am considering the following, and was curious what experiences others have had with the wheels (i.e being too stiff and harsh, or more compliant):
    1.) Industry Nine Pilar Carbon 31 - 24 spokes
    2.) Ibis 935 Carbon matched to i9's
    3.) ENVE M630 w/ Chris King
    4.) NOX Teocalli with Chris King or i9

I plan on using MAXXIS 2.5 tires - think that is about the max for the frame...so 29 almost +.

Anyone used the above wheels on their hard tail for long hauls and 12 hour riding? Would love to hear some feed back.

Thanks!

This place needs an enema
    I would immediately remove The I9 and ENVE options from your list because of how harsh they ride.

Nox and Ibis are fairly similar in their compliant feel. Derby is right in there as well.

If compliance is important, consider using Berd spokes. Or bigger tires run at lower pressures.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
    I am building up a steel frame singlespeed hard tail 29er (Reeb Dykelous 2.0) to be used for backcountry riding and racing on rugged singletrack (ranging from 12 hour races to AZT300 CO Trail Race, etc)...
    I am currently riding a Reeb hard tail with Specialized Roval Carbon 23mm internal wheels (from 2013). My question is this (and I am sure that it has been asked a few times, so feel free to tell me to search for an answer if there is already a thread out there):
    I am looking for the lightest and most durable 29mm-31mm internal width wheel set available, but not necessarily the stiffest. I am considering the following, and was curious what experiences others have had with the wheels (i.e being too stiff and harsh, or more compliant):
    1.) Industry Nine Pilar Carbon 31 - 24 spokes
    2.) Ibis 935 Carbon matched to i9's
    3.) ENVE M630 w/ Chris King
    4.) NOX Teocalli with Chris King or i9

I plan on using MAXXIS 2.5 tires - think that is about the max for the frame...so 29 almost +.

Anyone used the above wheels on their hard tail for long hauls and 12 hour riding? Would love to hear some feed back.

Thanks!
    Check out We are One composites. Lifetime warranty, hand laid in Canada, great customer service, Id do their agent rim with 28 hole front and 32 rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015