mtbr member
    Dec 2018

New question here. Carbon race wheels for my Anthem

I've just got a new Al Anthem 29er and I want to get some race wheels for it.
    I am looking at some carbon mountain bike wheels from TUFF.
    https://www.tuffcycle.com/mountain-bike.html
    Specifically the 921 carbon 29er wheels which I saw reviewed on youtube.

Has anybody else used wheels from TUFF?

I'm also thinking about hubs. I would like some Hope pro 4 hubs so I can pick the colors, but maybe some DT350s with jbend spokes to save a few $$

Elitest thrill junkie
    It looks like the same thing costs about $915 on Light Bicycles site, they should have wheels in stock in the US they can ship, rather than waiting from China. Not sure who "TUFF" is, but for my money I'd always go with something that has a significant track record and reputation to uphold. Oxive sent me some rims for testing and they held up great, although they are lightweight XC rims, which I used for racing. I'd buy from them too based on their product. They always throw out the fancy manufacturing/layup stuff, but in general I don't find there to be any real differences. I have rims from 3 different manufacturers and they are all good.

DT350 are great hubs. I think they are better than the Hope, although Hope come in colors, so that's really the only advantage. DT bearings are generally better and their drive mechanism is much stronger. The Hope one isn't weak, but if there's any question about this, go with DT.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkiwicyclist View Post
    I'm also thinking about hubs. I would like some Hope pro 4 hubs so I can pick the colors, but maybe some DT350s with jbend spokes to save a few $$
    I seem to recall that the price and weight difference between Hope and 350's was a wash.
    You may not be saving much weight or money going either way, so the deciding factors between those may be colours and drive mechanism. The Hope engages faster from stock, the DT engages faster with the 54t upgrade. The DT ratchet drive is stronger, though. Both are pretty good.

Oh, the DT can run all three freehub standards... Shimano, Sram XD and Shimano Microspline. The latter is the new XTR 12sp type.

As for wheels, check Nextie Carbon too. I have a wheelset coming my way from them. Ultralight 34mm (28mm internal - 350grs) rims on Competition spokes and DT 350 hubs. I expect ~1,550grs
    Check my Site