Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200

    Can someone school me on Maxxis tires?

    I have Ikons on one of my bikes, so I'm familiar with those but I want to put a more aggressive set on my other.

    I was initially thinking 2.2 Ardent rear and 2.3 DHF front, but I'm second guessing myself.

    What about the High Rollers and DHR II?

    Also, is the Ardent even made it 3C? I really want to get both F and R that are 3C.

    My trails are generally hardpack to dust or sand over hardpack when it gets dry with plenty of roots. There's also some (loose) shale and loam on some of them.

    I like the Ikon, it actually works really well on the hardpack but goes away really quick on the looser stuff. I also notice it doesn't have near the braking grip as something with bigger knobs, even on hardpack.

    My current tires are Conti Mtn Kings. They are OK most of the time, but I don't love them.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  2. #2
    Nothing seems to kill me
    Reputation: CUP-TON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    683
    Not a Maxxis fan. Have you tried the Conti Trail King? I have the 2.4 TK on back and a 2.5 WTF Breakout on the front. Been digging the setup for a few months now. I ride mostly hardpack and loose over hardpack. The Breakout has it's limit on the loose, but it's pretty predictable.
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    664
    I ride similar conditions, and really dig the Ardent Race up front with an Ikon out back on my hardtail. The regular Ardent was pretty awful for me up front. If things are too loose for the Ardent Race up front I'll throw on a Forekaster.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    I've not tried any other Conti, but I don't know if I love the sidewall and the tread compound.

    To be dead honest on the smoother trails where I ride the bike with the Ikons, I'm faster with those and I like the grip. It's a rigid so I don't ride it much on tech stuff because my hands suck, but I like the Maxxis sidewall and grip of the 3C. I'm also still running tubes on those and I run tubeless on the Contis. I hated the Contis with tubes, but they are better tubeless as I'd imagine the Maxxis to be.

    I've been seriously considering the Ardent race. I like the tighter pattern and seen how I don't ride when it's muddy, it would probably work well for me. I'm thinking that for a rear though and maybe a DHF or HR out front?
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    664
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    I've not tried any other Conti, but I don't know if I love the sidewall and the tread compound.

    To be dead honest on the smoother trails where I ride the bike with the Ikons, I'm faster with those and I like the grip. It's a rigid so I don't ride it much on tech stuff because my hands suck, but I like the Maxxis sidewall and grip of the 3C. I'm also still running tubes on those and I run tubeless on the Contis. I hated the Contis with tubes, but they are better tubeless as I'd imagine the Maxxis to be.

    I've been seriously considering the Ardent race. I like the tighter pattern and seen how I don't ride when it's muddy, it would probably work well for me. I'm thinking that for a rear though and maybe a DHF or HR out front?
    Itís a good rear tire! Iíve run it out back on my trail bike with dhr2 up front and that was good. Minions really are a great time, haha. The HR2s roll slow, so Iíd pick a DHF or a DHR2 personally.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    Umm, actually I lied a little bit about other Contis. I had an X King on my rear a long time ago and I pulled it because I felt it was too loose with the Mtn King up front. 2.4/2.2 F/R Mtn King was a better balance for me.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  7. #7
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,835
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    Not a Maxxis fan. Have you tried the Conti Trail King? I have the 2.4 TK on back and a 2.5 WTF Breakout on the front. Been digging the setup for a few months now. I ride mostly hardpack and loose over hardpack. The Breakout has it's limit on the loose, but it's pretty predictable.
    conti trail king, for when you just don't have enough leaves packing into your forks or chainstays

    [I use them on my XC bike won't use anything else]
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  8. #8
    Ride On
    Reputation: geraldooka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    838
    Are you sure you want 3C for hard pack or dust over hardpack? Seems over kill to me. Iím in the PNW so wet about half the time. All types of trail types, loamy, roots, rocks, hardpack dry etc. In the summer when itís dry and loose I run DC both front and rear with excellent results. As things get damper Iíll go to DC R 3C F and then 3C Both. I have recently been running the 2.6 version of the rekon and DHF on the full sus and 2.8 versions of the same on the HT.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,742
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    I have Ikons on one of my bikes, so I'm familiar with those but I want to put a more aggressive set on my other.

    I was initially thinking 2.2 Ardent rear and 2.3 DHF front, but I'm second guessing myself.

    What about the High Rollers and DHR II?

    Also, is the Ardent even made it 3C? I really want to get both F and R that are 3C.

    My trails are generally hardpack to dust or sand over hardpack when it gets dry with plenty of roots. There's also some (loose) shale and loam on some of them.

    I like the Ikon, it actually works really well on the hardpack but goes away really quick on the looser stuff. I also notice it doesn't have near the braking grip as something with bigger knobs, even on hardpack.

    My current tires are Conti Mtn Kings. They are OK most of the time, but I don't love them.
    Rekon?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    All I know is the cornering grip on the 3C seems far, far better than the black chili of the Contis.

    I know I've read opposite, and maybe our roots are weird, but I find the 3C actually grips roots where the BC seems to slip and kicks me off them. The BC is very poor on our trails when they are damp, because the ones that are good to ride are clay and get very slick. The roots are also perhaps different than PNW. Our trees are hardwoods and the roots polish and are often in hard little knotty balls or giant knotty balls.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Rekon?
    Don't know anything about them. Or the Forekaster for that matter.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    Edit to add: The only time I really like the Contis Mtn Kings is when it's Hero dirt (damp but saturated like in late spring or early fall) or when it's dry and dusty (like mid-summer). I didn't like the X King anywhere really. All my Contis were black chili.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  13. #13
    www.ninjichor.com
    Reputation: ninjichor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    544
    If you're after some expert info, rather than speculative and biased/anecdotal, here's some post history of a tire engineer who used to work for Maxxis: http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?do...st&showposts=1

    If you're looking for trends, I'll add that I keep coming back to the DHR2 3c/EXO/TR 2.3 tires, since they offer acceptably fast rolling, grip, and durability for their weight. I seem 'em as a lean and strong middle-weight fighter with good focus.

    Edit: attempt to fix link
    Last edited by ninjichor; 08-10-2018 at 03:30 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    If you're after some expert info, rather than speculative and biased/anecdotal, here's some post history of a tire engineer who used to work for Maxxis: http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=4899982

    If you're looking for trends, I'll add that I keep coming back to the DHR2 3c/EXO/TR 2.3 tires, since they offer acceptably fast rolling, grip, and durability for their weight. I seem 'em as a lean and strong middle-weight fighter with good focus.
    Linky no worky.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  15. #15
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,331
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    Don't know anything about them. Or the Forekaster for that matter.
    I liked the Forekaster as a decent cornering and fast rolling rear tire on my 5.5. Iíd use it as a front tire on an XC rig in the conditions you describe. Iíve just given up on EXO or similar tires for my needs. I need DoubleDown or Super Gravity casings.

  16. #16
    Nothing seems to kill me
    Reputation: CUP-TON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    conti trail king, for when you just don't have enough leaves packing into your forks or chainstays

    [I use them on my XC bike won't use anything else]
    I ride mostly desert now, but ran the TKs in the Midwest where there are lots of trees and I don't recall this issue. I will say they had their limits when it was wet.
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    After a little more lookin', I think the Rekon looks like a good bet seen as how I like the Ikon but want more bite.

    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  18. #18
    www.ninjichor.com
    Reputation: ninjichor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    Linky no worky.
    Fixed link: http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?do...st&showposts=1

    Another Maxxis guy: http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?do...st&showposts=1

    Collection of basic info, including durometer for each compound brand: https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com....-need-to-know/

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: l'oiseau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,200
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Whoa, good info. Thanks!

    I might be swayed to the DC. I thought it was a harder compound but not according to that document.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    540
    Ikon - small knobs good back tire for fast, XC type riding

    Forekaster - my favorite tire. 2.35 runs a bit small. Excellent out back and I have them F/R on two bikes .

    Ardent Race - good front tire runs big.

    DHF and DHR get a lot of love but heaver and some rolling resistance. Good for downhill sledding

    Want to try the Rekon's

  21. #21
    www.ninjichor.com
    Reputation: ninjichor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    Whoa, good info. Thanks!

    I might be swayed to the DC. I thought it was a harder compound but not according to that document.
    It used to be 62a center/base and 60a shoulder a long while ago. Durometer is only part of the story. I believe Maxxis can use the make the DC slower rebound for select models, else I can't explain how the High Roller 2 gets such good grip with slow rolling, compared to a tire with similar rubber compound.

    Here's another resource: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews

    And there's always the German mags if you like independent test metrics (and can manage reading German articles, or translated versions):

    https://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/....1796806.2.htm

    https://www.bike-magazin.de/komponen...chlaeuche.html

    Browsed through, searching "DHR" and found stats on my favored "middle-of-the-pack" tire (DHR2):

    https://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/....1554700.2.htm

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    248
    Wait, so is 3C supposed to be a grippy compound? I thought that was their normal compound, and Max Terra was the sticky stuff?

Similar Threads

  1. School me on Maxxis tires
    By racefit in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-16-2018, 09:45 PM
  2. Best place to buy Maxxis High Roller II and Maxxis Ardent tires
    By amaizenblue402 in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-06-2016, 02:49 PM
  3. Can someone school me on the Catskills?
    By D.F.L. in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-24-2015, 04:10 PM
  4. someone school me on the different types of pivot designs.
    By drastic. in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 12:51 AM
  5. TPI question - someone school me
    By i.a.n. in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 05:11 AM

Members who have read this thread: 156

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.