Can this be repaired?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Can this be repaired?

I was prepping my bike for a ride this Saturday in Downieville, CA, and noticed this little bugger. I will definitely be taking the wheel by my LBS tomorrow, but was wondering if any wheel guru's out there can give me an opinion if this is something that can be repaired enough to continue riding on the wheel or not. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    I was prepping my bike for a ride this Saturday in Downieville, CA, and noticed this little bugger. I will definitely be taking the wheel by my LBS tomorrow, but was wondering if any wheel guru's out there can give me an opinion if this is something that can be repaired enough to continue riding on the wheel or not. Thanks!
    Disc wheel? Do you feel it while riding? Is the tire staying on?

I would ride it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Yes, it is a disc wheel, and no, I don't feel a thing when riding it.

The tire has stayed on with no problem. I remember smacking a rock pretty hard about 1/2 way into the last ride on it, which means I rode abput another 9 miles on it with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lay it on a flat surace and hammer the inside w/ a wooden dowl, brass drift or whatever if you want it a bit straighter.

Killer b.
    I can't imagine it compromising your safety at all.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I would ride it.
    Me too.

Oct 2005
    I would ride it. Should you ever have a problem related to it, put two pieces of metal on either side and use a pair of pliers and a lot of force or a clamp on it. I'm not too hot about hammering on rims, but a clamping method could do the trick a bit safer.

No good in rock gardens..
    I've fixed similar dings with a small shifting spanner / wrench. Tighten wrench onto rim, and gently bend ding out.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ride it as is, as long as it isn't presenting problems. I wouldn't bend it "back" as it will only further soften the metal.

mtbr member
    Any decent LBS should have a tool to fix that exact problem. I have dinged rims many a time in the past and had them straightened with no problems. Heck, most of the time, the shop wouldn't even charge me for is if I took the wheel in sans tire. Take 'em a 6 pack and you'll be set!!!

mtbr member
    I think I have about three of those dings in my back rim... on both sides. =)
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

The Punk Hucker
    It's safe to ride it. I've got my rear wheel on my XC bike that has the same kind of dent. It was hammered back and the wheel has been ridden for amny miles since. The only problem is when you need to true the wheel it's impossible to have equal tension in that area. So I tend to true that wheel more often!
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    . The only problem is when you need to true the wheel it's impossible to have equal tension in that area. So I tend to true that wheel more often!
    That looks like it is only a sidewall dent and not a flat spot . Should not have any problem trueing the rim.

Members who have read this thread: 0