Can a 210lb rider on 36h Flow rims get away with Super Comp spokes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Can a 210lb rider on 36h Flow rims get away with Super Comp spokes?

I'm currently running 36h Pro II hubs, Flow rims, and Champion spokes on my singlespeed 29er. I'm 210lbs and ride smoothly, but do take 2-3' jumps and drops. I'm rebuilding the wheels and considering Super Comp spokes for a savings of 250 grams.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Any feedback appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Supercomp spokes aren't thin enough to be fussy to build with. I wouldn't sweat it. In fact, IMHO they're the "perfect" spoke - 2.0 at the hub flange where most failures happen, 1.8 at the nipple so you can use alloy nipples with thicker walls than a 2.0 alloy nipple, and 1.7 in the middle for light weight and elasticity. Very hard to beat that.

transmitter~receiver
    you can absolutely "get away" with a spoke that's 1.7mm in the middle. i'm not a big fan s.comps because IME they break at the nipple much more than any other spoke. The Wheelsmith DB14 is a great spoke at 2.0/1.7 and doesn't have the problems I've seen with s.comps.
    what kestrel242 says about the nipple walls is true, but that's paired with smaller threads, which is a trade-off for the increased nipple wall thickness.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-25-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    My wheels should still be fairly durable with the Super Comp spokes? I'm just not willing to sacrifice a significant amount of strength.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2
    I'm rebuilding the wheels and considering Super Comp spokes for a savings of 250 grams.
    Can you really save 250 grams going to Super Comp spokes? If so, relative to what other spokes? I'm guessing the actual weight savings relative to say a Comp spoke is much less...

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert
    Can you really save 250 grams going to Super Comp spokes? If so, relative to what other spokes? I'm guessing the actual weight savings relative to say a Comp spoke is much less...
    He said Champions, but you're right, weight savings is probably ~130g for the wheelset.

transmitter~receiver
    My wheels should still be fairly durable with the Super Comp spokes? I'm just not willing to sacrifice a significant amount of strength.
    You won't be sacraficing anything, much less strength.
    theoretically, thinner spokes build stronger wheels. [/duck]
    Reynolds uses thinner spokes (Revolutions at 2.0/1.5) in 28h AM wheels without any weight limits. I weigh about what you do and have used them for myself and others in wheelbuilds for years without a single issue.
    The bottom line = you have nothing to worry about using S.Comps. You're not even really "getting away with" anything.

mtbr member
    My mistake -- for some reason, I thought the spoke weight figures on the DT Swiss website were per wheel. Upon closer inspection the weight chart obviously lists the weights for 64 pieces.

And here I thought I was going to drop 250 grams from my wheelset. It probably isn't worth it to rebuild the wheelset to save 130 grams, although I have heard the butted spokes ride nicer than straight gauge.

transmitter~receiver
    I have heard the butted spokes ride nicer than straight gauge.
    nah

Members who have read this thread: 0