mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option

Hey guys,

Over in the 29er components form there is a Cheep Chinese carbon rim thread - you know the one.

Well, I was loitering around and noticed this new company BTLOS (Beyond the Limits of Self), drop in and announce themselves with a shameless self plug. And I took the click bait.

Backstory: Not a week before I ordered some Nextie premium rims for my new build. I'm always skeptical, and really prefer to go with something that has some history...which sometimes means I overpay, lol. Got the 29er, 36mm external wide rims. Awesome. Expensive.

Well, low and behold BTLOS has the same rim profile, which I like very much. 29mm being a good width in my opinion, and with slightly thicker 3.5mm sidewalls. They also offer it in a more premium package, with combination T700/T800 with slightly more T800 (which cost twice what the T700 does) than Nextie, while using a slightly more simplistic layup with a single overlap angle of 45 degrees, and guarantee the same roundness and flatness. So, nearly identical product, with the benefit of a little bit of a pricier make-up material wise, and perhaps a little less pricey due to simplified layup. I imagine the difference in cost overall, should be nil. But...

Nextie, $240 per rim.
    BTLOS, $170 per rim.

Nextie was kind enough to offer me their xmas discount of $35 per rim, early. And I got a second set lower tier rims from the to lace and sell.

BTLOS has an xmas sale too, with 15% off.

Now $205 vs $144.50.

BTLOS was slightly cheaper for shipping...and offered to invoice me in Canadian, at the days exchange rate - this to me is great because it could save me 2.5% fx fee.

I sort of cried a little, seeing my money go down the toilet...overall the same rims at Nextie were $200 Canadian more! Many will tell you the two rims are likely identical. Perhaps even from the same factory, who knows. I CAN tell you Nextie is only a 25 min drive from BTLOS, who seem to me to actually be a factory and not just a reseller/middle man. Not sure about Nextie, but I get the sense they are a reseller.

I have chatted back and fourth with both Nextie, and BTLOS. I can tell you that the guys at Nextie are nice guys, but to me BTLOS is out to prove something - they have a sales person available in the morning and all evening, and they are responsive, sending pics and having their engineers literally draw a cad picture and send to answer a tech question - it was quite impressive.

Long story short, I have a small wheel building business side gig, and I thought...why not. I need to know...so I am going to be the guinea pig. If they are indeed the same quality, then I know what rims that I will use for my local carbon wheel builds, and I'll just sell the extra set off.

They don't seem to have a lot of profiles posted yet, but given the fact they are a new B2C company that I believe has longer standing B2B track record, I think they have more profiles, just not yet posted to their web site. I am hoping they get their product range a little more sorted, but I'm happy to have found them. upon searching; it seems they have only been online for little over a month. They did offer the same 36mm rim in 650B, even though it isn't posted - so I know they have more. Not much yet in the 27-35mm internal width that I think is optimal, but I hope more will come.

So far, I can say service is really second to none, and I don't just mean for an Asian rim company - I deal with Hope, DT Swiss, and WTB on a semi frequent, and I'm just as happy with the service provided on my first rim purchase, and their eagerness to help/troubleshoot.

I do hope they get some more interesting and trendy rim profiles up in the coming weeks/months. If they can, they may be a winner.

When I have both comparable BTLOS and Nextie rims in hand, I'll will take some detail pics and give you an initial impression.

NEXTIE | New Official Site | Carbon Bicycle Store
    www.btlos.com
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Subscribed!
    Thanks for sharing this find with us, really looking forward to your review. Always nice to see more options (and having it in CAD is nice too since I'm in Toronto). If they are as good as you think I'll have them on my short list for the ID29mm option.

mtbr member
    Clicking on that link I have to think that Nextie and Btlos are the same companies. Websites are identical.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    @bikerfisher11 - I am also located in Toronto (near Keel and Dundas) - you are welcome to come by and check the rims out if you like, when they arrive. Might as well wait so you can compare Nextie to Btlos. It's always nice to handle something before you buy and I'm happy to help if I can. I know it's tough to put your trust in a company that's on the other side of the globe, and it's hard to sort through what is good and what is junk, who's telling the whole truth, etc.

@Rngspnr - Most of the Asian sites that allow customization of rims have nearly identical user interface. You'll find light bicycle very similar. they are all physically different entities, however. I get the sense there might be a couple dozen manufacturers and resellers in this area. Some make rims for larger companies and have customer direct spin-offs. To get a sense of the geography, check out the map I made of the more well known brands - most are within a few minutes driving distance of one another. Hard to know however, who is making their own stuff, and who is just re-branding and adding cost. I can with some certainty, that BTLOS is actually making rims themselves, and this direct to customer thing is new for them. This scenario is best (in my humble opinion
    ), because I think this is where you'll get the best quality at the lowest cost. I can confirm the cost part at least - I will soon be able to tell you about the quality, and overall value. Stay Tuned!

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-carb.jpg
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Saw your post and emailed btlos to see about some cx wheels. Hopefully similar to rg922 gravel light bikes with lighter t800.will follow up when they respond. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Not bad. I'm more impressed with EIE's lineup at similar pricing, except for this one:

https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/supe...n-rim?filter=1

That's the best price I've seen for an XC rim in that weight class. EIE's version is about $50 more per side, though asymmetric and a bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    @mjw - Thanks! I will very likely take you up on the offer to come see them in person when you're done. I'm in Scarborough but would happily make the trip to the west side.
    Much appreciated.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Clicking on that link I have to think that Nextie and Btlos are the same companies. Websites are identical.
    I'm thinking most of these guys are selling the same stuff or, rather, are re-selling the same stuff. Their rim profiles and product lineups all look almost identical.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    @alexdi - eie looks to have a very clear product range, which I like. Makes picking your rim easy. And price looks okay, for sure. I don't like the shape of their symmetric rims, but their asym rims look nice. I would however, prefer some options with thicker rim bead walls. They are calling some rims with 3mm sidewalls (the burliest they seem to have), downhill and freeride rims, which is a bit of a joke when other sellers offer DH/FR rims with 4.5mm sidewalls, and trail/enduro rims with 3.5mm sidewalls.

BTLOS doesn't seem to have their product range quite in order yet, and they definitely could use more asym and symmetrical rims in a medium/wide internal width (27mm-35mm). I do think that you'll see those being posted in the near term...of so i get the sense. Seems they do have some nice slightly narrower stuff.

However, if you want a more upscale rim, with combination t700+t800 composition (which is more costly to make), they are fantastic in regards to price. I hope they continue with this sort of offering. This is the rim I mean in specific, and while they have it only posted in 29, they do stock it/produce it in 27.5 also (I checked):

https://btlos.com/mountain-bike/bm29s-36?filter=2%2C14

Alexdi, are you on boost hubs? Or regular spacing?

I'm on regular spacing (15x100, 12x142), but still chose to go Symmetrical. I definitely believe that asym rims will make a stronger wheel overall and their are benefits, but this particular rim caught me. It's burly, the right width for me, and I can build a pretty strong wheel - well built symmetric rim wheels have never been an issue for me. Also the tall profile means shorter spokes, making my 29 wheel stiffer. Overall they should be lighter, wider, stiffer, and tougher, than the DT ex471 they replace. Or so I hope!
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    @mjw - Thanks! I will very likely take you up on the offer to come see them in person when you're done. I'm in Scarborough but would happily make the trip to the west side.
    Much appreciated.
    I'll keep you posted.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I'm thinking most of these guys are selling the same stuff or, rather, are re-selling the same stuff. Their rim profiles and product lineups all look almost identical.
    Definitely the truth in a lot of cases, yes. Some profiles seem to get sold by numerous re-sellers. But I'm fairly certain even if the mold and profile are the same, pending the factory, the composition and quality of materials can actually vary.

The mold used for the Nextie and for BTLOS rims I bought are definitely identical, but Nextie cost 40% more. The layup is different however, as is the split of t800/t700 which changes cost. This might all be for naught, or maybe there is some performance advantage one way or the other, but I can't say.

What I can say is, the customer service rep ran around the factory taking pictures of anything I requested. I have pics of open boxes of t700 and t800 Toray CF. I know the spec of the resin they use, and I have pictures with factory in the background, with workers manning the machines in production rooms. They weren't staged, just background noise in pictures of rim samples and so on. So, I can tell you with confidence this is actually a manufacturer - not just a reseller who's adding margin. And I assume this is why they can offer the same rim, or nearly the same rim, for 40% less. Hopefully I am correct!

Interestingly, they also offer you the opportunity to design and create your own mold, and thus your own branded rim - something you'll likely not find anywhere but a factory:

"With the principle of reasonable prices, efficient production time, service after the sale, we also offer OEM manufacturing for that special customer who wants to invest in their own product line. We help with product engineering and mold design, and the customer pays for the mold. If you are interested in any of our products or would like to discuss a custom order, please do not hesitate to contact us by email sales@btlos.com. We are looking forward to forming successful business relationships with new clients around the world in the near future."
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Looks like they are out of Xiamen. The vast majority of carbon rims that come out of China comes from Xiamen. It seems pretty easy to set up an office there and have your pick of manufacturers for your new wheel company.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    I would however, prefer some options with thicker rim bead walls. They are calling some rims with 3mm sidewalls (the burliest they seem to have), downhill and freeride rims, which is a bit of a joke when other sellers offer DH/FR rims with 4.5mm sidewalls, and trail/enduro rims with 3.5mm sidewalls.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the label, though that's a pretty typical wall width. Knight's rims are all 2.5mm, Nox is 3mm, and Ibis is 3mm. Atomik goes up to 3.5mm on their "AM" rims. DH use, to me, demands a rim liner regardless of the width. I'd sooner choose 2.5mm with Huck Norris (or whatever) than 4mm without.

That's a nice rim. It's about 50g heavier than I'd expect for a partial T800 layup at that spec. Whether that matters in the context of 1000g tires is debatable. My own wheels are 29i and 39i on 142 and Lefty spacing respectively.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdi View Post
    I wouldn't put too much stock in the label, though that's a pretty typical wall width. Knight's rims are all 2.5mm, Nox is 3mm, and Ibis is 3mm. Atomik goes up to 3.5mm on their "AM" rims. DH use, to me, demands a rim liner regardless of the width. I'd sooner choose 2.5mm with Huck Norris (or whatever) than 4mm without.

That's a nice rim. It's about 50g heavier than I'd expect for a partial T800 layup at that spec. Whether that matters in the context of 1000g tires is debatable. My own wheels are 29i and 39i on 142 and Lefty spacing respectively.
    Yeah, I'd agree with you that just about any carbon rim could use a liner, or the wall protection as Enve now does for more extreme use.

Nobl is usually my point of reference, being Canadian.

Nobl also uses 3.5mm walls on their harder riding rims, 3.0mm on their mid-weight mid-wides, and 2.5mm on their lighter riding skinny i23 rims.

Weight is not too bad, imho. Nolb's tr36 has a slimmer build and less depth, and sits ar 440g. BTLOS is 470g, with a build more akin to the Nobl TR38 (650b rim that weights 490g). A tad heavy - maybe. I'd argue not too bad. But, compare the cost. For the sake of 30-50g per rim, are you willing to pony up the extra $230 USD per rim?

BTLOS: $170 (144.50 now with xmas sale)
    Nextie: $240 (205.00 now with xmas sale)
    Nobl: $400

Heck. That's $255.50 savings per rim during xmas. If the only difference is weight between BTLOS, or even Nextie, and domestic rims, I'll keep my $511 USD, and buy some primo tires with part of it!

Please know, I am not saying they are the BEST rims in the world. they have the potential to be pretty great I think. But the price might just be damn near the best for the spec. This means they might well be one of the best values out there right now...that is of course my opinion, it is untested. My fingered are crossed.

For me...riding DT EX471, I'm shaving weight and adding width, so it's all good =)
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My EIE 29i rim came in at 395g. It's paired with a 2.4ish tire at just over 20 PSI. I'm usually around 180 kitted up, riding occasionally rocky XC terrain as fast as possible. I do occasionally bottom it, though to no apparent consequence. Haven't found a reason to opt for a heavier rim yet. I'm sure I'd feel differently in parts of the country with more gnar, but then, I'd also probably just equip the same rim with a liner.

So far, the widest ultralight options are 24i. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 360g 29i rim sometime next year though. If I had infinite money, I'd throw it at these:

FSE 35AM MTB 29er Tubeless Hookless DT Swiss 240 Boost Carbon Fiber Wheelset - FSE.bike

Not sure to make of the quoted widths, but I'll bet they've got the highest strength to weight of anything out there.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My EIE 29i rim came in at 395g. It's paired with a 2.4ish tire at just over 20 PSI. I'm usually around 180 kitted up, riding occasionally rocky XC terrain as fast as possible. I do occasionally bottom it, though to no apparent consequence. Haven't found a reason to opt for a heavier rim yet. I'm sure I'd feel differently in parts of the country with more gnar, but then, I'd also probably just equip the same rim with a liner.

So far, the widest ultralight options are 24i. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 360g 29i rim sometime next year though. If I had infinite money, I'd throw it at these:

FSE 35AM MTB 29er Tubeless Hookless DT Swiss 240 Boost Carbon Fiber Wheelset - FSE.bike

Not sure to make of the quoted widths, but I'll bet they've got the highest strength to weight of anything out there.
    I tend to take my bikes to lift access DH parks, and do a lot of travel around the east coast where there is more root and rock than soil. Throw in some good sized drops and jumps, perfect. So, I take come comfort in a burly rim

Those rims you posted - those are really nice. Sounds like high tech carbon!

As for the width, I don't mind them. 25mm works well - still plenty Enduro and DH racers on 25mm rims - the ex471 being extremely popular with 25mm inner. I have 2 sets in use . 5mm rim walls...burly!

Super light would be nice, but super light isn't my main concern. But certainly a strong and wide i30mm-ish rim, sub 400g, would be attractive. Especially if it were a reasonable price.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My BTLOS rims have officially gone to production, and my Nexties have shipped.

Lily from BTLOS send me the mock-up for my decals. I went with a colored B, and stealth for TLOS. I'm not usually all that keen on these manufacturer names and logos - I can never relate to them really...perhaps I'm a snob. But, I actually think this looks simple and kind of cool!

These will end up on my Black Canfield Riot, with Green DVO fork, and a few other green accents. They will be laced to DT Swiss 240' (green decals), via sapim d-light spokes. They should look pretty slick I think.

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-btlos.jpg
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Got my Nextie rims.

Initial impressions:

On the Premium 29 rims - finish work isn't bad. However, Nextie says on their site that they will be within 0.15mm flatness/roundness. The card attached clearly shows that the rims are outside the guaranteed QC variance. I think that's pretty poor form!

The Asym 27.5 rims are horribly build finished. Very very VERY poorly done. The sidewalls were not build with enough resin and have already started to delaminate - you can stick your finger nail in-between the layers. Design is also pretty terrible - spoke holes on the tire side are centered while the spoke hols on the hub side are asymmetric, so they barely line up. It would be impossible to use a proper nipple driver/nipple wrench to build these - so much for the expensive squorx nips I bought. But, I won't use them anyways because the sidewalls look terrible.

So far, not impressed with Nextie. Definitely not worth the price premium. Not likely I'd evey buy a set to lace and resell to one of my own customers.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That's unfortunate. Post photos and Nextie's response?

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That's unfortunate. Post photos and Nextie's response?
    I will for sure, as soon as I hear back from them.

Meanwhile, the joke of the day. Check out the sidewall seperation, and they actually put a QC Pass sticker right next to it!!!! The whole rim lip looks like this. 1-2mm deep seperation in sections.

Nextie QC Pass:

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-psx_20171229_172243.jpg
    BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-dsc04304sm.jpg
    Last edited by mjw; 12-30-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    I thought BTLOS is another person that lost their bitcoin

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Check out the sidewall seperation, and they actually put a QC Pass sticker right next to it!!!!
    What a mess. Nextie has a lot of positive feedback, but that'd be enough for me to write off the whole brand. Maybe QC was phoning it in, or maybe they don't actually do QC. Either way, there's a significant defect in the validation process.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    What a mess. Nextie has a lot of positive feedback, but that'd be enough for me to write off the whole brand. Maybe QC was phoning it in, or maybe they don't actually do QC. Either way, there's a significant defect in the validation process.
    Yep! Exactly how I feel. Both rims have one wall that is okay, and one that is delaminating all the way around, with one being a little worse than the other, while neither is at all acceptable.

And they aren't quick to reply either. I've send a couple of email now with additional pictures - we'll see how they recover. Hopefully Nextie can get a couple of good rims out to me with proper resin coating, no delamination, and proper spoke hole drilling so I can actually lace the wheel properly with a squorx wrench.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Nextie is back from holidays. They have been very apologetic. They are lining up a new set for me tomorrow, and have refunded me a small amount as a token apology. I'm pretty happy with the response! Good guys, Brian and Max.

Sounds like they were bad samples they had lying around and did not mean to sell/ship them. The next set should be factory fresh.

Should arrive with proper resin job and spoke holes that line up properly. I hope =)

On another note, my BTLOS rims should arrive in the next week or so hopefully. Looking forward to comparing them!
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Sounds like they were bad samples they had lying around and did not mean to sell/ship them. The next set should be factory fresh.
    You might ask them how they're ensuring it won't happen again. Most defects in carbon manufacture are not obvious. That an obvious defect would get through isn't encouraging for the ones that take more QC rigor to spot.

mtbr member
    You might ask them how they're ensuring it won't happen again. Most defects in carbon manufacture are not obvious. That an obvious defect would get through isn't encouraging for the ones that take more QC rigor to spot.
    Well said. Also their explanation seems irrelevant to the case (if it is more credible than the QC sticker). Hopefully OP will be luckier this time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

That's a nice rim. It's about 50g heavier than I'd expect for a partial T800 layup at that spec. Whether that matters in the context of 1000g tires is debatable.
    Looking at their website they mention using PMI foam in their production, I wonder if this may account for the extra weight? Has anyone had their hands/eyes on one of these rims yet?

Land of the 230+
    Wow, Ive built up quite a few nextie and LB wheelsets between friends and family, and Ive never seen anything even close to that delamination. The biggest defect Ive seen so far was visible seams on a pair of promotional/blowout pricing rims. Otherwise they've all been perfect. I hope they make it right for you.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Still waiting on replacement rims from Nextie.

My BTLOS arrived today. They fit and finish is perfect. At least as good as the same profile Nextie Premium rims.

They two are virtually identical. The BTLOS rims are perfect, and blemish free, and were much cheaper.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Did anyone buy BTLOS CX Gravel-BGU30-29 rims?
    The standard version of the price seems very good!
    https://btlos.com/road-bike/700c-29m...yclocross-rims
    Last edited by consa; 03-21-2018 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You might ask them how they're ensuring it won't happen again. Most defects in carbon manufacture are not obvious...
    That goes for aaaaaaall of them rim maker.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fsKeQwplg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cadoretteboat View Post
    That goes for aaaaaaall of them rim maker.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8fsKeQwplg
    I knew what that video was going to be before I opened it. His videos are sometimes slightly overwrought but they show how much hype there is in the world of carbon.

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Medium Term Review

I just wanted to update this thread with a bit of an informal review of these rims.

The 36mm Premium rims - I have since had 4 sets of these come across my bench - One for personal use, and three for other people including one 250lb bruiser on a short travel rig.

Personal - I have been riding mine on a Canfield Riot now for the past month. I am extremely satisfied with how the build up - quickly and problem free, largely due to being made very round and flat right out of the mold. Weight was lower than published - 466g vs 480g stated on their website. Nipple bed thickness is very consistent and internal wrinkles/inconsistencies are nearly nil, on par with most high end rim makers. Laced 29er, 2x, 32H - these wheels are stiff - partly due to the tall 30mm depth, partly due to the thicker rim walls. I have been hammering them pretty good with psi of 24F/26R, and they haven't flinched. Given the cost, heck even ignoring cost, I am thus far very impressed.

I am even more impressed with the fact that BTLOS have me the thumbs up to put these under a rider who is 250lbs. I don't recall what these rims are rated for, but I do recall my rider was under the limit by a safe margin. He's been thrashing them pretty hard for the last two months plus, and the wheel are still straight as a whip, zero sign of stress, and he is ecstatic with the ride feel these give when wrapped with high volume bonty tires.

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-p5pb15651383.jpg

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-p5pb15651382.jpg

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-enduro-carbon-bicycle-rim.jpg

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-36mm-carbon-rim.jpg
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Any recent updates with the BTLOS rims? Still working well?

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by greginaz View Post
    Any recent updates with the BTLOS rims? Still working well?
    I've now purchased a number of sets of carbon rims from Factories and resellers in China. BTLOS remain at the top for me.

I am still flogging a set on my own Canfield - I run sensible air pressure, but I usually hit all the A lines and larger features and they don't flinch. They have stood up very well against rock strikes and misguided landings. And, they are as true now as the day I laced them up, which is pretty incredible. Same can be said for about 6 other people I laced them for and am still in contact with, including the guy who owns the Rocky above who's over 270lbs all kitted up. This guy actually destroyed a DT 350 on the set I laced him - tore the rotor right out of the hub, but the hoop was still perfectly true after the accident.

From a builders standpoint, the ten or so sets that have come across my bench have all been very flat and round - shaped perfectly. Absolutely no blemishes in any of them - they are well made. Last few have been gloss finish, which really looks quite nice as the UD carbon detail is totally well done. I stay away from anything that comes painted, and even matte finish can hide imperfections, but gloss hides nothing. Nipple holes are appropriately sized and spoke drilling angle is spot on. They even go do far as to sticker the rim to indicate which direction they are drilled so you can't mess it up. They build up easily, and they don't deform at higher tensions (120-130 kgf) like I have seen some rims do (Light Bicycle being one).

Honestly, I cannot say enough good things about them.

Lily, who is the point person for all direct to consumer sales, is friendly, quite smart, her English is perfect so I never find there is any fall down in communication, and she will bend over backwards to help you.

I also know that their factory poached an engineer from one of the bigger bike companies, and they are doing things right in terms of engineering, testing, and QC, all in house, as far as I can tell. They also analyze competitor rims to benchmark their own performance, and from what I can squeeze out of them, their rims stand up well against the bigger more well known brands. And they do produce for some bigger more well known brands as far as I know also, but they are very tight lipped over who they produce for, and what test results are - I suspect because of contract obligations, and because that's the classy/respectful thing to do.
    • 2015 Kona Explosif Ti
    • 2015 Kona Process 111
    • 2018 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Great to hear all the positive reviews for BTLOS, but I can't find any rims that match the lighter weights of those from Nextie (their ultralights, which use T1000):

https://www.nextie.net/ultralight-mo...34mm-NXT29UL34

or these from eie carbon:

super light 29er 34mm wide MTB hookless tubeless compatible carbon rims

or these from Carbonfan...

https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-tubel...28mm-33mm-35mm

I'm looking for i25-i30 (I think 27-28mm would be ideal) that are at most 360g for i30, and less than that for narrower rims. Am I missing something from BTLOS???
    Last edited by IPA Rider; 09-20-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    anyone?
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    I have some heavy wheels on order from them. The 29er i29 with Premium T700/T800 "DH" build. I will post pictures and weights once they are here. That is if they ever come (customs problem the first time they shipped.)

BTLOS does do custom orders and they are pretty friendly, so I'd email them if you want to ask specific questions about getting a super light rim. Although honestly at this moment, I am getting impatient and can't give a good review until the wheels are here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Has anybody tried the i30 rims yet? They are 35mm outer and 30mm ID at 25mm deep so a pretty popular shape and size. Just not asym which seems be the all the rage these days. Thinking about ordering some of these.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Got my wm-i29 DH Premium wheels a month-ish ago. They are still dead straight after 3 harsh days in Moab and several hard days in Denver front range -- I tend to be hard on wheels so them being true after this is actually a very good thing.

wm-i29 "Premium" Carbon / DH Layup 29er
    32 Sapim X-Ray Spokes
    DT 240s Boost / 36 point ratchet / XD Driver
    848g F / 950g R

The wheels are extremely stiff torsionally and result in improved precision and easier wheel placement in rock gardens and low-speed tech.

Also, the DHR/DHR tires inflated ridiculously easily tubeless with a hand pump. The easiest tubeless mount ever for me. Prior to these I'd been using 2014 Enve 'AM' rims and those were terrible mounting tires tubeless.

BTLOS Carbon Rims - New (well priced) Chinese Mfg and Retail Option-img_20181021_153155.jpg
    Last edited by Tony; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by XterraMike View Post
    Has anybody tried the i30 rims yet? They are 35mm outer and 30mm ID at 25mm deep so a pretty popular shape and size. Just not asym which seems be the all the rage these days. Thinking about ordering some of these.
    I talked with BTLOS a couple weeks ago, inquiring about this rim vs the i29 rim. Based on my weight (200 pounds) and riding style/terrain (rocky terrain ridden aggressively but minimal drops) they recommended the i29. I was personally fine with this - much more interested in a durable wheelset then saving grams. I would recommend contacting them and getting their recommendations. Amy was very responsive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Got my wm-i29 DH Premium wheels a month-ish ago. They are still dead straight after 3 harsh days in Moab and several hard days in Denver front range.
    Nice - I have a set of these rims in the AM version coming in the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to getting them!