Thread: Broken Hub?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Broken Hub?

I have been trying to track down a creak on my bike for the last month or more and last night in an attempt to lube yet another part on the bike I went to remove the rear wheel and when I did, the cassette fell off (see pictures). This is a set of Race Face Aeffect R30 wheels that came stock on my Following MB that I bought last year. I can find very little info on this hub, but I'm pretty sure the axle is supposed to extend through the freehub body. Can someone confirm that my hub is indeed toast? And can a replacement axle be found, or is it time for that new wheelset I've been wanting anyway?
    Broken Hub?-hub1.jpgBroken Hub?-hub.jpg

damned rocks...
    You can replace the axle.
    How old are the wheels, if under warranty just send them back to be replaced.
    If not, buy a new axle for 35$ at Jenson.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Not sure if this is specific to your question, but your freehub appears to be missing 1 of its Pawls

Or maybe you left it off for the photo?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Good eye, it fell out while I had it apart to clean and I lost the pawl spring so I just left it out for the time being. On another note, that axle is not available from Jenson until 10/19, any suggestions on another source?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mwalker411 View Post
    Good eye, it fell out while I had it apart to clean and I lost the pawl spring so I just left it out for the time being. On another note, that axle is not available from Jenson until 10/19, any suggestions on another source?
    You might want to check in with RF directly, I find that it only takes 1-2 days for them to respond to technical questions like yours.

If you really think its an axle, heres the direct link to RF website (12X142)

https://shoprfe.ca/products/aeffect_...=1425861312531

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    thanks, but its out of stock there too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    still think you should email them

components@raceface.com

What? There's more?
    Have the same hub on my Turbine (non-R) wheelset that was OE on a Banshee Rune. It is sourced from Formula (the cheap Chinese hub maker, not the Italian brake maker). Within 800 miles, it had a broken pawl, trashed bearings and the spokes were pulling through the alloy nipples. I replaced nipples and looked for hub parts. Race Face was keen to suggest I buy a new freehub ($80-95 depending on the retailer). First off, there are no parts available for the freehub; no pawls, no springs, no nothing. Second, why would I pay $80 for a freehub on a hub that was maybe $40 complete, and over-priced at that?
    I opted to go with a Shimano Zee hub for less that $50 which has been bomb-proof and for which I can get replacement parts. If Shimano is not your thing, there are many options for replacement hubs. Pick one that actually has replacement parts available: Shimano, Hope, i9, Hadley, DT... Even Novatec (also cheap Chinese stuff) has replacement parts available. But whatever you do, let Race Face/Easton/Fox know you don't appreciate paying real money for disposable wheelsets.