mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Boyd Kanuga Rims ... Any Experience here?

Found a great deal on these in 27.5 and was wondering if anyone here was familiar.

They look great on paper and Boyd's road wheels are a known good thing so thought I'd try them. I'll give reports along the way.

Oh, and where are the cool kids getting spokes these days?

mtbpete
    I have not used this specific rim, but Boyd alloy rims like the Altamont are very well made. This particular rim is fairly lightweight so it's probably not the best option for bombing down sharp edge rock descents.

mtbr member
    I have not ridden the Kanuga rims, but their wheels in general are awesome. Great fast engaging hubs and very solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SEI Racing

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    I have not used this specific rim, but Boyd alloy rims like the Altamont are very well made. This particular rim is fairly lightweight so it's probably not the best option for bombing down sharp edge rock descents.
    I live in Central Florida, I know every rock larger than a fist by name. There are nine of them.

The combination of low weight, 25mm internal, tubeless, Boyd's reputation and finding these for cheap was irresistible. But, I was surprised to find so little info on them. Look like they'd build into a great XC / light trail set.

I'll give a report when they get here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Got the rims in, they look great, weigh in at 415g each. Wide shelf with a narrow valley in the middle, might be tough getting the tires on. Might also be easy getting them to seat once I do.

I'll be using cheap, rugged Shimano hubs so could be lighter, but not bad either. I'll let you know how the build goes.

Boyd Kanuga Rims ... Any Experience here?-kanuga.jpg

Barely in control
    Quite a bit over weight. I'd have gone with XR391. Cheaper and the same weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

So...

how are things going with the Kanuga's?
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic View Post
    Got the rims in, they look great, weigh in at 415g each. Wide shelf with a narrow valley in the middle, might be tough getting the tires on. Might also be easy getting them to seat once I do.

I'll be using cheap, rugged Shimano hubs so could be lighter, but not bad either. I'll let you know how the build goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kanuga.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	1207423

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by oleritter View Post
    how are things going with the Kanuga's?
    I've got them laced up. Shimano SLX hubs, Sapim Race spokes - all up about 1800g for the set. Not crazy light, not bad. The DT XR391 someone was suggesting have a published weight identical to these. No problems truing them up.

Tubeless set up is pretty straight-forward, getting tires on is not hard. I had access to a compressor so used it. Getting them off is a bit of a terror. That bead does not want to let go.

Have maybe 100 miles on them with an all up weight of about 215 for me and bike. Some on fairly intense trails mostly just bouncing through Florida's rooty trail systems. No problems hassles or headaches.

I can recommend these so far and have no doubts about future reliability but will let you know.

mtbpete
    It should not be difficult to get tires off of the XR391 rims. If you haven't done this already you need to push the sidewall of the tire into the center of the rim all around on both sides before you try to remove it. Was it hard to push the bead into the center of the rim?