Bontrager XR5 Team Issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bontrager XR5 Team Issue

I'm surprised not to have seen mention of it, so here's a heads up and a couple of pics I scrounged off the interwebz.
    Trek link, but has pics of the SE5:
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...issue/p/21634/

27.5x2.3"(850g) in stock online at Trek and several UK sites.
    29x2.3"(890g) supposed to be available on the 29th.
    Weights and date from here:
    https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/compo...lr-tyre-p19245

Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-fresh-goods-377-02.jpg

Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-dscf8684-1515680082024-ibq2mo272lvl-630-354.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice looking tire. I look forward to getting more details.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Definitely a good looking tire. Those weights make me scared, though. Would prefer something in the 900's just so I know it would last more than one outing on my local trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Definitely a good looking tire. Those weights make me scared, though. Would prefer something in the 900's just so I know it would last more than one outing on my local trails.
    That's why Bontrager makes the SE5 Team Issue. Same size & tread pattern, but in a heavier duty casing.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en_CA/e...e-tlr/p/12528/

Hitching a ride
    Should have named it BDHR

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    That's why Bontrager makes the SE5 Team Issue. Same size & tread pattern, but in a heavier duty casing.
    $100 for a bicycle tire..... absolutely ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Should have named it BDHR
    -I laughed....
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Well, it does list at 100g more than the XR4 Team Issue. For $55, I might actually give it a shot someday. Have another XR4 that hasn't been used, though. The XR4 usually works very well for where I ride, but leaves have me sliding all over the place right now. I already have a Magic Mary(and a 2.35 NN for the rear) on the way to try out, so it may be awhile before I buy more tires...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Nice, seems much more inline with my needs. Although, as mentioned by others--at that price i certainly won't be trying it.

mtbr member
    Finally bit, and ordered one these through a LBS, so I'll post up actual weight, and maybe initial size on i29, next week. Trek has them in their NJ warehouse, though they're not on their site, and only overseas dealers ever show the 29" version in stock. Using a 2.4" XR4 up front right now, and it's ok, but I don't love it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Finally bit, and ordered one these through a LBS, so I'll post up actual weight, and maybe initial size on i29, next week. Trek has them in their NJ warehouse, though they're not on their site, and only overseas dealers ever show the 29" version in stock. Using a 2.4" XR4 up front right now, and it's ok, but I don't love it.
    I'd love to see how these measure up once installed.

mtbr member
    Just talked to the shop, and they have it, just failed to let me know.
    Between the XR3 and XR4, I have Team Issues in 2.2, 2.3 and 2.4". They are very consistent, all measuring within a few thousandths of their stated size on i26-i29 rims, so I'll be surprised if the XR5 is much different.
    It'll be Monday or Tuesday before I pick it up, at the earliest, and depending on the weather(LBS is near a state park I ride at).

mtbr member
    I ride a SE5 currently on the front of my Slash. Excellent tire and I'd love to try it in a lighter version. I ran some of the old style XR4's last year as a rear tire and the casing felt good and held up pretty well.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-34536769_10215804284923130_939069731409756160_n.jpg
    Very similar to the 2.3" DHF in person, though obviously of higher quality than the one I looked at. Pretty much what you'd expect from a "Bontrager version", I guess-little lighter, should be true to size with more volume, and presumably more supple sidewalls with a profile better suited to a wider rim.
    About to mount it up.

I rode the fastest trails, and did the hardest cornering, that I'll do on this tire with a 2.4" XR4 up front today. Trail conditions were excellent, and it was fine, just a tad nervous on edge a few times. I had to be vigilant about keeping it weighted, and still kind of felt like I was skittering along at the edge of my limit. Trail conditions aren't always so good, though, and I'm not an expert rider. I'd like to be able to hit those corners harder while still feeling locked in like with the Magic Mary, but with a lighter and faster rolling tire(XR4s definitely made the whole bike feel more lively vs. a MM/NN combo). That was the point of buying this thing, anyway, to try something in between the two.
    Time will tell. I love "testing" stuff

mtbr member
    Well, that was the fastest and easiest tire swap I've ever done. Like 5 minutes.
    Mounted up by hand, inflated with a floor pump, and holding 30psi with no sealant.
    Initial measurements on i29 Flow Mk3:
    Tread, 2.301"(did I say true to size? )
    Casing, 2.321"

With 2.3" XR4 on i26 Arch Mk3:
    Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-received_10215804883138085.jpg

Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-received_10215804886498169.jpg
    Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-received_10215804888618222.jpg

mtbr member
    Excellent--thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Was that a 29 or 27.5 you weighed? My Se5 was a bit over weight what was advertised at 1000g but it works well.

FWIW I run it on front with a SE4 in back, really solid combo.

mtbr member
    29"
    34g under the claimed weight...
    Gonna do the same trails tomorrow that I did yesterday, and see how I like it

mtbr member
    Why have I always used front tires with transition knobs again? Took it easy at first to feel out the handling, but that didn't last long. Like it's just begging you to come in hot and sling it into corners. Little different from what I'm used to, but really FUN!
    Rolls fast, serious grip when leaned over, and good braking, too.
    With them being so similar, I guess I see why there's so much fuss over the DHF, now.

BDHR WT-Lite

Name:  34776564_10215820802856068_3629944773319589888_n (2).jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  55.7 KB
    I like the new logo, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Anyone try the 2.6 version? Thinking about running 2.6 XR5 up front with a 2.4 XR4 out back.
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Anyone try the 2.6 version? Thinking about running 2.6 XR5 up front with a 2.4 XR4 out back.
    Tried that but with se version. To loose in the wet. Went 2.6 se5 front and rear. 2.4 se4 rear for dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hisforever
    to try this new tire would have liked to see more feedback on here.

any reports on how things have gone? interested in se5 front paried w xr5 rear

PipedreamMoxie
    calling
    offering
    Yz 250x braap

mtbr member
    Still like mine, though I haven't been riding much since last fall.
    Like it enough that I bought a spare set of 2.3" XR4/XR5.
    Wouldn't know about it on the rear. I realize the SE5 may have a softer compound(?), but at the same time, it has a beefier casing. My thought was always that if I used a SE tire, say a 3 or 4 for me, that it would be on the rear with the XR5 up front. I don't really need a SE for my trails, though, so thinking about it is as far as I ever got with that...

btw, my 2nd 29x2.3" XR5 came in at 888g, just 2g from the list weight.

mtbr member
    I never measured them but it feels like the Se4 is a bit softer than my SE5. I have a durometer in the fab shop, I'll measure them if I remember.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Iíve been humming and hawing over the 2.6 XR5 for the past month. Canít find much info so I just took Bontrager up on their 30-day no questions asked policy and ordered one online. Iím currently happily running 2.4 XR4 up front and 2.4 SE4 Rear. Trying the 2.6 XR5 as front tire

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    Iíve been humming and hawing over the 2.6 XR5 for the past month. Canít find much info so I just took Bontrager up on their 30-day no questions asked policy and ordered one online. Iím currently happily running 2.4 XR4 up front and 2.4 SE4 Rear. Trying the 2.6 XR5 as front tire
    To update you guys, I got a 2.6 XR5 in and mounted it yesterday. Scale said 977 grams. Bead was a little loose in the center of the rim and wouldn't seat with my floor pump and soap and water. Had to resort to putting a tube in first to have one side seated. First time I've struggled with a Bontrager tire but wasn't that bad in the end.

It's HUGE! I don't have a micrometer. When I measure my 2.4 XR4/SE4's with a ruler from edges of side knobs I get 60mm/2.36". Using the same method on the 2.6 XR5 I get 66-67mm/2.6". This is on a ID 29mm rim at 40PSI. No rides yet, hopefully within the next week the weather will dry, I'll drop the PSI to 16-18 and give it a test run. Not sure how I feel about no intermediate knobs and the gargantuan size- seriously looks like most 2.8's and dwarfs the 2.4 SE4 on the back.

Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-img_6144.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    To update you guys, I got a 2.6 XR5 in and mounted it yesterday. Scale said 977 grams. Bead was a little loose in the center of the rim and wouldn't seat with my floor pump and soap and water. Had to resort to putting a tube in first to have one side seated. First time I've struggled with a Bontrager tire but wasn't that bad in the end.

It's HUGE! I don't have a micrometer. When I measure my 2.4 XR4/SE4's with a ruler from edges of side knobs I get 60mm/2.36". Using the same method on the 2.6 XR5 I get 66-67mm/2.6". This is on a ID 29mm rim at 40PSI. No rides yet, hopefully within the next week the weather will dry, I'll drop the PSI to 16-18 and give it a test run. Not sure how I feel about no intermediate knobs and the gargantuan size- seriously looks like most 2.8's and dwarfs the 2.4 SE4 on the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6144.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	1238494
    Interested to hear how it hooks up ^^

Maybe some front on shots showing clearance? ;-)

PS - chuck a 2.5 Aggressor out back... it measures 64mm across.

If you don't mind brand-mixing.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I'd like to see a overhead shot of the tread to see how open it is. Pretty viable option for me and I've run the 2.3 for awhile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Interested to hear how it hooks up ^^

Maybe some front on shots showing clearance? ;-)

PS - chuck a 2.5 Aggressor out back... it measures 64mm across.

If you don't mind brand-mixing.

'Born to ride!'
    Which aggressor? 2.6 or 2.5WT? Been kind of confused with Maxxis line so I've been sticking to Bontrager. I'm still hoping the 2.4 SE4 makes a good pairing with 2.6 XR5...

I have a shot of the front clearance. Pretty tight under the mudguard and not the best photo:

Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-img_6142.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider76 View Post
    I'd like to see a overhead shot of the tread to see how open it is. Pretty viable option for me and I've run the 2.3 for awhile.
    It's hard to tell from the photos, but to me the side knobs are in a totally different world. Maybe I'm just used to the user friendliness of the XR4:

Bontrager XR5 Team Issue-img_6146.jpg

At 40 PSI and cruising around the back alley and garage there is no dust and dirt on the side knobs. It looks like they haven't even touched the ground yet. It is round, and adds some height- feels like my bike got a lift kit up front!

mtbr member
    TBH that doesn't look much if anything different than narrower version just bigger. I'd bet 40 psi the outer knobs don't touch, no tire will on pavement. Typically my normal front tires get run between 26 and 30 depending on terrain. I really liked my SE5 though but you have to commit and roll it onto its edge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That tread pattern looks..impressive. I'm really interested in this tire as a front. The thing is that where I ride there is almost no cornering but roots and round rocks all over the place, more often wet than dry. Just trying to figure out whether the XR4 pattern or this would grip better on that kind of stuff?

mtbr member
    My 29x2.6 XR5 is installed...

First ride on it, in an hour or so.

Pics & ride impressions soon.

Measuring 65mm across at 21 psi.

Certainly looks the goods w/ the 2.5 Aggressor out back.

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have my first real ride tomorrow on the 2.6 XR5 and will report back. I am a bit nervous on the side knobs and wondering if a 2.6 XR4 would be a better all around option for trail bike and occasional rowdy descent. I have an XR4 2.4 out back.

mtbr member
    First impressions = good...

Wasn't expecting the earth.

Have run the XR4 2.3 up front on a lesser travel 29er & found it to be sketchy on anything other than rocky terrain.

Comparing XR5 to the Specialized Butcher 29x2.6 it's usurped...

I'd say:

*It rolls slower

*It weighs less

*It's better on loam & worse on (damp) roots

Overall a pass ^^

The large contact patch is appreciated. Side knobs feel pretty sticky.

For the drier riding the bike it's on will be doing (HT for Autumn/Winter trails) it'll suffice rather nicely.

'Born to ride!'
    Last edited by targnik; 03-11-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Hitching a ride
    I have about 15 hours now on some XR5 Team 2.6 both front and rear. On pavement and hardpack they are definitely faster than the Gripton Butcher front Purgatory rear "2.6" combo. The XR5 has stiffer side knobs so high speed or hardpack it corners better than the Butcher, but overall it is an inferior tire to the 2.6 Goma it replaced.

I'm going to live with it until Vittoria comes up with something in the All Mountain category.

mtbr member
    2nd ride down on the XR5... & it actually impressed ^^

Trails were steep, hard-pack & rooty/rocky.

I could have done w/ a couple more psi, as shuttle runs were the order of the day.

But... grip was there. A couple of sketchy moments on my behalf & the XR5 didn't let me down.

The 120 tpi casing felt a little vague to begin with, having come off the Grid Butcher.

Hence the thought of needing a little more pressure.

Otherwise great riding the XR5 today.

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have about 50 miles on my 2.6 XR5. There is a 2.4 SE4 outback.

I have some first impressions. Keep in mind we've got a lot of rain and the soil has been perfect. So far the tire rolls well and grips really well. Still has a lot of characteristics of the XR4 that I like- rounder profile, predictable, and high volume which is confidence inspiring. It's possible the 4 series acted like a training wheel for the 5 series.

I haven't detected any vagueness due to the absence of intermediate knobs. I have ridden some sandy, dry, unsupported, loose corners and have yet to have any washouts that I typically experience with a square edge tire. I don't second guess leaning the bike over. The extra volume hasn't held me back on long climbs (except maybe mental at times) though the longest climb I've done is 2k vertical feet. The tire feels like a lift kit for the front of my bike which I really like for steeper terrain. So far it's a 'disappears underneath you' type of tire, like the XR4, which is what I was hoping for.

Jury is still out, and will probably reconvene come late spring/summer when the tire will be properly challenged.

mtbr member
    Rode the XR5 on some proper AM terrain today...

Bit of everything, rocks, roots, loam, patches of mud, hard pack.

Up'ed PSI slightly & things worked really well.

Would love to transfer the XR5 & my 2.5 Aggressor over to my AM HT...

Unfortunately fork only accommodates a 2.4 tire =(

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    bumping this thread. any more opinions on the 2.6 SE5?

looking to pair with a 2.4 SE4 on the rear primarily for loose over hard. love the feel of the 4, but could probably use a bit more braking grip at high speed on the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    bumping this thread. any more opinions on the 2.6 SE5?

looking to pair with a 2.4 SE4 on the rear primarily for loose over hard. love the feel of the 4, but could probably use a bit more braking grip at high speed on the front.
    I ran the 2.35 SE5 up front with a the 2.4 SE4 in back for awhile. Good combo the 5 is OK in rocks and roots but moisture knocks it back a good bit. That's my only real complaint with it up front and I think its just cause its not super soft.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    thx, i pulled the trigger on the 5/4 combo and happy so far in dry Cali loose over hard.

SE5 rolls really really well for what it is and size is just about right, was worried it'd be too big.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I just mounted up an xr5 2.6 on a 30 mm ID rim, havent ridden it yet. gotta say the pics in this thread did not prepare me for how rounded out this tire is in person- the most rounded out tire I think ive ever put on. Jeez would it have killed them to make the side knobs just a little taller. Im coming from the other extreme, WTB verdict light casing, very square tire with side knobs much taller than center, but they arent supported well at all and fold over real easy on hard off camber surfaces (excel in deep and loose dirt though). Isnt there anything in the middle (besides the Minion ). Will se how it rides and report back, but im a little nervous about those out of the way side knobs. Will say its true to size, 2.65" knobs 2.5 casing, so thats good
    '18 banshee rune

Hitching a ride
    I have them on 34 and 30mm rims. I have a 38mm rim on the way for it. We'll see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    also have a 2.6 on a 30i rim. it's true to size. it's round but seems to work well. a little more wandery than 2.4 for sure. going back to 2.4 after downieville for home trails.

Hitching a ride
    Ok, got my i38 rim built and 2.6 XR5 installed. This profile is much better. Side lugs dig in like I'd expect and the bike isn't too floppy. After using i30, i34, and i38, i38 is the best. Tire casing measures 2.62 at 16 psi. It looks rounder in this pic than in person.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Ok, got my i38 rim built and 2.6 XR5 installed. This profile is much better. Side lugs dig in like I'd expect and the bike isn't too floppy. After using i30, i34, and i38, i38 is the best. Tire casing measures 2.62 at 16 psi. It looks rounder in this pic than in person.

How does the tire perform in wet/loam soil (fall typical conditions)?

Debating between SE5 2.6, DHF exo+ 2.6 or MM apex 2.6

Hitching a ride
    Just got back from a ride on it. It does pretty good in wet loam and leafy trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Just got back from a ride on it. It does pretty good in wet loam and leafy trails.
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Short version: XR5 is my current favorite tire for any condition on my 6" travel bike.

Long version:
    I have limited rear tire clearance on my bike (SC Bronson v2) especially tire height. Some 27x2.4 won't clear and a Bonty XR3/SE3 2.35 is suuuuper close to the frame (center by lower link) with very poor mud clearance. The 27.5x2.3 XR5 is high volume, but not as tall as the XR3 2.35 and on my bike the XR4 2.4 won't clear the rear at all. So, I have more limited choices than others, and that's part of why I like the XR5 so much.

I've tried a lot of tires. I've always only had one bike, but for a while I had 2 sets of similar aluminum wheels and I had a set of AM tires and a set of hardpack XC tires, just swap the wheels and unfortunately each swap required a little tweaking to brake caliper alignment. Now I have one set of carbon wheels and I just make due with one set of tires.

With the XR5, there are few compromises and I can ride trails with a lot of climbing and pedaling, rocky or dry, lift-serviced DH, and they don't wear out quickly. This bike is not an XC race bike and putting XC race tires on it won't make it into one.

One thing I haven't ridden a lot of is mud and loam. There just isn't much of that here - a lot of clay in the soil means that when it's wet, you typically can't ride.

But for what I ride in Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Colorado, these tires are fantastic. Compared to a DHF or DHR2 2.3, they have more volume, more longevity than 3C, more grip than DC, same or better cornering traction, same climbing traction (lots), roll faster and are more durable than EXO. I haven't tried EXO+ or DD, but honestly, have little reason to do so now.

I am about to wear out my rear XR5 and so far have no punctures that haven't been sealed immediately (Orange Seal endurance) and no cuts in either tread or sidewall. XR Team Issue tires are tough enough for me, even on the rear, that I don't seem to need SE. But I'm sure someone riding trails littered with chipped granite or something similar would want the SE5, and I bet it's just as good as I've experienced with the XR5.

Two thumbs up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I just got an XR5 2.6, measures 2.6 inches on an i30 rim, however, weight is off but a decent amount. I was looking forward to a 950g front tire, but this one came in at 1017g. So pretty comparable (but lighter) than a 2.5 DHF 3c.

Rode a loop I have done many times with it. Did not notice really difference in feel from the 2.5 DHF. I was able to drop the pressure a few PSI lower (and I think I can go lower still) on the 2.6.

Overall pretty happy with it. Seems to grab as well (super loose, loose over hard, marble like surfaces) and roll a little better than the 2.5 DHF.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Short version: XR5 is my current favorite tire for any condition on my 6" travel bike.

Long version:
    I have limited rear tire clearance on my bike (SC Bronson v2) especially tire height. Some 27x2.4 won't clear and a Bonty XR3/SE3 2.35 is suuuuper close to the frame (center by lower link) with very poor mud clearance. The 27.5x2.3 XR5 is high volume, but not as tall as the XR3 2.35 and on my bike the XR4 2.4 won't clear the rear at all. So, I have more limited choices than others, and that's part of why I like the XR5 so much.

I've tried a lot of tires. I've always only had one bike, but for a while I had 2 sets of similar aluminum wheels and I had a set of AM tires and a set of hardpack XC tires, just swap the wheels and unfortunately each swap required a little tweaking to brake caliper alignment. Now I have one set of carbon wheels and I just make due with one set of tires.

With the XR5, there are few compromises and I can ride trails with a lot of climbing and pedaling, rocky or dry, lift-serviced DH, and they don't wear out quickly. This bike is not an XC race bike and putting XC race tires on it won't make it into one.

One thing I haven't ridden a lot of is mud and loam. There just isn't much of that here - a lot of clay in the soil means that when it's wet, you typically can't ride.

But for what I ride in Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Colorado, these tires are fantastic. Compared to a DHF or DHR2 2.3, they have more volume, more longevity than 3C, more grip than DC, same or better cornering traction, same climbing traction (lots), roll faster and are more durable than EXO. I haven't tried EXO+ or DD, but honestly, have little reason to do so now.

I am about to wear out my rear XR5 and so far have no punctures that haven't been sealed immediately (Orange Seal endurance) and no cuts in either tread or sidewall. XR Team Issue tires are tough enough for me, even on the rear, that I don't seem to need SE. But I'm sure someone riding trails littered with chipped granite or something similar would want the SE5, and I bet it's just as good as I've experienced with the XR5.

Two thumbs up.

Looking at the 27.5 x 2.3" on 30i rims myself. Does width measure true for the XR5?

I currently have DHF 2.5WT which measure 2.4" on the calipers. I don't want/need to go wider than those, so if the XR5 measures true, I think they would work.

Thanks!