Bontrager XR4 + SE4, good combo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Bontrager XR4 + SE4, good combo?

Currently using DHF (2.5 WT) + DHR II (2.4 WT) on my 27.5 hardtail.

I'm looking for lighter tires with a similar profile.

The XR4 (2.4) and SE4 (2.4) look like a perfect match.

I ride mostly loose, over hard, and rocky trails (Las Vegas and Arizona). Not too much technical stuff.

What do you guys think of the Bonty combination?

Thanks!

This place needs an enema
    I really like those tires.

Is your current rear tire reinforced similar to the SE4 you're considering?

Just curious if you need the added beef.

Rocks belong
    I find the SE4 is closer to EXO than double down, so not too much beefier.

Personally, I'd be looking at an XR5 front and SE4 rear
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinercat View Post
    Currently using DHF (2.5 WT) + DHR II (2.4 WT) on my 27.5 hardtail.

I'm looking for lighter tires with a similar profile.

The XR4 (2.4) and SE4 (2.4) look like a perfect match.

The XR4 is definitely a more round profile and casing than a Minion. It rolls faster but also doesn't have the bite Minions do either. I think the XR4 is a great trail tire but just know it's not going to hook up as well under aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    The XR4 is definitely a more round profile and casing than a Minion. It rolls faster but also doesn't have the bite Minions do either. I think the XR4 is a great trail tire but just know it's not going to hook up as well under aggressive riding.
    Thanks!

Nothing too aggressive for what I ride. Just a lot of long, flowy, dry, and rocky single track. Nothing too technical either.

I was looking at the XR5 also, but was thinking that since nothing too aggressive, I could do as well with the XR4.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I really like those tires.

Is your current rear tire reinforced similar to the SE4 you're considering?

Just curious if you need the added beef.
    Yeps. My DHR II has all the fixins. 3C/EXO+/TR

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    IMO XR4 is a little week in the rear. My XR4 29x2.4 was 749g while lasted. SE4 is 900g and way more durable. Still lighter than any minion at this width.
    For lighter setup I really liked XR4 2.4 front / Ardent Race 2.35 rear. BTW AR 2.35 has slightly wider casing than XR4, not measuring knobs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by KVV View Post
    IMO XR4 is a little week in the rear. My XR4 29x2.4 was 749g while lasted. SE4 is 900g and way more durable. Still lighter than any minion at this width.
    For lighter setup I really liked XR4 2.4 front / Ardent Race 2.35 rear. BTW AR 2.35 has slightly wider casing than XR4, not measuring knobs.
    Sorry wasnít clear, but yeps, was thinking of XR4 2.4 (F) and SE4 2.4 (R).

SS Pusher Man
    I recently went the other way.....SE4 2.4 F/XR4 2.4 rear on my Hightower. Replaced a 2.35 DHF/Aggressor combo. I like it so far. On 30mm ID ARC's the profile is pretty round.

They were good for several days of SW Utah tech.

THe XR4 seems a little light duty. The sidewalls seemed a little on the thin side. I have another SE4 just in case.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    This will be OK. Personally, I prefer more grip in the front compared to rear. Currently running SE4 (898g) rear with DHF 2.5WT 3C (1065g !!!) front. I'd probably keep the rear but change front to Magic Mary for the winter. My MM 29x2.35 Addix Soft is 859g.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    SE4 in the rear in the desert is a definite yes. Great choice. I didnít personally care for the XR4 front from a profile and grip perspective.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Robertson
    I too love the SE4 as a rear. Currently on SE4 2.4 rear, SE5 2.6 front. SE4 is a good combo of light, durability/puncture resistance, fast rolling. Wear rate is in between Maxxis dual compound and 3C

mtbrer
    Iíve been riding on 29x2.6 XR4s for the last couple months in the Prescott, AZ area. Really like them. A good blend of grip, weight and roll.
    --Reamer

방랑외국인
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    SE4 in the rear in the desert is a definite yes. Great choice. I didnít personally care for the XR4 front from a profile and grip perspective.
    I've heard nothing but good things on the XR4 2.6 as a front tyre. What's not to like?

Here are some tire weights to give some perspective...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager XR4 + SE4, good combo?-tyres.png  

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thatís cool if you like it. I prefer a more square, aggressively knobbed front tire personally.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I installed an XR4 Team Issue 2.75x2.40 as front tire more than a year ago and used it on all kind of terrains on my trail bike. It's true to size, pretty light, has a decent rolling resistance and didn't have issues of any kind. Grip is fine, but it depends on your riding preferences. With my 25i rim the profile is quite round and the side knobs require a considerable angle to properly engage in corners.

In my opinion if you ride rocky terrains with an hardtail having 2,50 tires (in particular with >30mm rims) makes more sense than switching to a narrower and lighter set.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by meeerkat View Post
    I installed an XR4 Team Issue 2.75x2.40 as front tire more than a year ago and used it on all kind of terrains on my trail bike. It's true to size, pretty light, has a decent rolling resistance and didn't have issues of any kind. Grip is fine, but it depends on your riding preferences. With my 25i rim the profile is quite round and the side knobs require a considerable angle to properly engage in corners.

In my opinion if you ride rocky terrains with an hardtail having 2,50 tires (in particular with >30mm rims) makes more sense than switching to a narrower and lighter set.
    Thanks and good points. My riding style is not aggressive. More of a distance kind of rider.

I have 30i Spank Vibrocore 350s.

I already have the SE4 2.4 for the rear, and just choosing between the XR5 or XR4 now, 2.6 is an option up front (as long as itís a lighter tire).
    Last edited by steinercat; 12-28-2019 at 02:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thanks and good points. My riding style is not aggressive. More of a distance kind of rider.

I have 30i Spank Vibrocore 350s.

I already have the SE4 2.4 for the rear, and just choosing between the XR5 or XR4 now, 2.6 is an option up front (as long as itís a lighter tire).
    Based on your riding preference and as long as you're not hitting too much chunk, the XR4 tire up front is a good option. I've loved XR4s for a long time but you have to be careful with them on rocky terrain as their casing is a bit lighter. They roll well, have a good weight-size ratio and hook up well.
    The new gripton tires from Specialized are a bit heavier but damn good tires as well, and excell where the lighter XR4s might fail..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm a huge fan of the XR and SE4. I typically run the XR4 on the front and switch between XR and SE4 on the rear. I have run XR4 and SE4 in 2.6, 2.4 and 2.55 (no longer available) and been impressed. All tires have been "Team Issue" with the 120 TPI casing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the XR and SE4. I typically run the XR4 on the front and switch between XR and SE4 on the rear. I have run XR4 and SE4 in 2.6, 2.4 and 2.55 (no longer available) and been impressed. All tires have been "Team Issue" with the 120 TPI casing.
    When do you "switch" them? Before a particular ride/type of terrain or when you wear one out, you bought the other variant?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JonF1 View Post
    When do you "switch" them? Before a particular ride/type of terrain or when you wear one out, you bought the other variant?
    I'm going to go ahead and jinx myself here, but I have only ever flatted once on an XR4 and it was caused by experimenting with less than my usual 28lbs; a pebble somehow got lodged between the rim and the tire and caused a slow leak ...that tire is about to back into service. Basically every other tire I have installed with the exception of a few Maxxis has been removed to due failure ...we have really sharp limestone rocks here. The typical failure point is not the sidewall, but a tear in the casing in a place where there is no knobs.

HOWEVER ...when I absolutely, positively need my tire to get me out of some far away location, I will switch the back one to an SE4. I honestly don't notice much of a difference in the two but I was given a couple of SE4 29x2.55 and I would hate to be sitting in the middle of nowhere with a gash in my sidewall saying to myself, "damn, I should have installed those free, thicker sidewalls!"