Bontrager XR3 vs XR4's 2.4 x 29 rear w/ 2.6 XR4's front?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bontrager XR3 vs XR4's 2.4 x 29 rear w/ 2.6 XR4's front?

What's a better combo for my '18 Trek Fuel EX 29 9.8? Which better-- Bontrager 2.4-rear XR3's or XR4's (w/ XR4 2.6 front)? Colorado front range, I want a good climber over technical sometime rocky/loose terrain. I'm more concerned about making a steep technical grade over sketch and rocks than rip downhill. Thanks.

Short-Change-Hero
    My local area is similar to the front range (Lake Tahoe/High Desert loam) and I find that during the dryer months you can get away with something that has less pronounced knobs like the XR3 but you will find that it slips on some technical climbs that may have kitty litter strewn across them.

I find running something like the XR4 tends to bite into those looser climbs better but the trade-off is that they tend to slip more when the climb becomes slipper or wet (think damp rocks or slipper roots). I have ridden the Steamboat Springs area for years (both on the main mountain and some of the side trails and outside of town) with the Vittoria Goma which is very similar to the XR4 with great luck. Around where I live, Lake Tahoe area, this is my go to setup front and back (2.4") pretty much year round.

Honestly, both will probably serve you well with slight differences in where you will lose grip both climbing and descending.

mtbr member
    ^^^ yeah. He posted while I was typing the following.

IMO, the 3 is better on fixed rock and hard surfaces and rolls a little easier than the 4, which is better on soft/loose dirt, sand, small gravel. I find them pretty similar on wet slippery rocks and roots.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks guys, will give the XR4's in back a go (if the trails ever dry out

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm partial to SE versions because they've survive what have been cuts and tears with other tires I like. They seem supple and light compared to other heavy duty tires. The overall characteristics when riding are like the 3 & 4 versions.

I'm with the other comments and it doesn't have to be the Bontrager. The closer and smaller knob tires feel fast and can have a whole lot of grip but more open knobs like 4 models have more dig and cut with loose or loose covered stuff. Last season I had a bike with SE3 and SE4 combo and one with SE4s only. The 3 & 4 combo was ideal for the pedal from home (2 mi to trailhead) and fast riding. The pair of 4 treads were ideal for epic rides where you'd encounter more changes.

The bike that was 3 & 4 last year has new wheels with WTB Riddler & Trail Boss combo. The Riddler is worth considering for rear where it's even faster than a Bontrager 3 but has a Maxxis style edge. What I like about Bontrager 3 & 4 is they are between more square and round tires I liked over time. They are overall good tires. You can get them for less money than some German tires I've liked and they last longer than one of the 2 German brands. Trek Store just advertised a spring sale and I'm definitely going to see if I can get more SEs at the discount.

I think XR are as good as any peer but I've had one riding place tear a lot of tires. It's greased sharp rock and night ride stream and gulley crossings wrecked tires. I'm probably 3 seasons in where the SE versions have not been wrecked like lighter Maxxis, XR, and Schwalbe have. The SEs have sealed with same sort of damage that required a tube with other tires yet they feel lighter than other heavy duty tires. Tell your local Trek dealers to stock the SEs.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Neither me or the guys I ride with have had much luck with an XR4 surviving rocks, so it may not be the best option for your area. I'd opt for the SE4 before the XR4, but there's better front tires than both for rocky areas IMO.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I agree on the robustness of the XR3/4 tires, but based on the OP's description of his use, technical climbing, I think they could be a good choice in being lighter and more supple.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just bought and had mounted the 2.4 XR3/2.6 XR4 combo on my Line Carbon 30's so all I need need now is for our north side CO trails to melt/dry out. Above feedback, pro and con is much appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    New XR3 has XR4 cornering knobs, with a small-knob center tread from the XR2. Id definitely take a look at that.