Bontrager Team SE4 VS XR4 Volumes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bontrager Team SE4 VS XR4 Volumes

I was about to order this set up in 2.6's but wanted to confirm something before I did. I am putting these on a 27.5 Plus size wheel (42mm), I got confirmation on an earlier thread that the XR4's would be fine with this wheel width, are the SE4's (or 5's) compatible with that width too?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I have not used the 27.5 version of the XR for. My 29 versions are all true to width.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    They're supposed to be the same external dimensions and tread between the same sizes of XR and SE models (XR4 & SE4, XR5 and SE5, etc). I mounted a SE3 27.5x2.35 replacing an XR3 27.5x2.35 last month and found this to be true. They're the same width, tread depth, diameter / height.

I don't know that I would bet the house on it always being the same across different tires, but in terms of just assuring that it's a good match for your rim width...

Yes, that is fine. For sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks for those, I have to quit waffling and just pull the trigger. I think I am going with the XR4 2.6 up front and the SE4 2.6 for the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm a lightweight Rider. I weigh 140lbs and not hard on tires. I was told not to wait the extra money on the se4. unless you're really hard on tires, the xr4 should be more than able to handle.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The deal is done! I am 6'3" and 215# so I thought it worth the insurance...it also has been many times mentioned as a better rear tire option than the XR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by defdes View Post
    Thanks for those, I have to quit waffling and just pull the trigger. I think I am going with the XR4 2.6 up front and the SE4 2.6 for the rear.
    This is the hot setup for a good gripping and fast rolling high volume combination that is also durable enough to withstand some sharp and rocky terrain.
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Trans Sentinel
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    This is the hot setup for a good gripping and fast rolling high volume combination that is also durable enough to withstand some sharp and rocky terrain.
    Good to hear, that describes a lot of the conditions here in Vermont.

mtbr member
    LOVE the SE casing but not finding the SE4 particularly good at anything. It's neither grippy nor fast, just kinda ok at everything. My next front tire will be the SE5 in 2.6 and probably an eliminator 2.6 in the rear. The eliminator is fast and grippy, wish the casing were SE good though.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    LOVE the SE casing but not finding the SE4 particularly good at anything. It's neither grippy nor fast, just kinda ok at everything. My next front tire will be the SE5 in 2.6 and probably an eliminator 2.6 in the rear. The eliminator is fast and grippy, wish the casing were SE good though.
    I'm big fan of SE4 2.4 x 27.5 as a rear tire and find it to be fast with great lateral knob (cornering) support and enough forward drive/ braking traction to suit the bill. I haven't tried it as a front, nor have I tried it in a bigger size though
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    I'm big fan of SE4 2.5 x 27.5 as a rear tire and find it to be fast with great lateral knob (cornering) support and enough forward drive/ braking traction to suit the bill. I haven't tried it as a front, nor have I tried it in a bigger size though
    Should've included 29x2.4 in the rear. Was fully expecting to be happy with it based on reviews here and friends that ride it but not finding it doing anything exceptionally well for me. Here we have a lot of long logging road climbs and it definitely feels draggy (unexpectedly) powering up. That's fine for gobs of traction in trade off but just not finding it very planted or confidence inspiring compared to many tires preceding it. It also pretty much sucked in mud despite it's relatively open tread. Thinking it would be a good hardpack, sand over hardpack tire for my trails. Typically when there's a consensus on a tire it works similarly for me but this time I'm not impressed. Thinking I prefer more squarish profile with stouter side lugs. The SE casing is fantastic though. Perfect for aggressive trail riding imo.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Just a follow up on fit, no trouble at all on the Plus wheels. Identical rolling resistance to the 2.8 Rekons I took off.
    One surprise was the discovery of tubes in the tires (I was wondering why there was no pressure loss over the last year). I wasn't prepared as I didn't have valves, but will get tubeless set up this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager Team SE4 VS XR4 Volumes-tire1.jpg  

Bontrager Team SE4 VS XR4 Volumes-tire2.jpg  

Live Free & Ride
    Just tried my luck and found myself running the XR4 3.0 on i39 carbon rim as a front tire. This has to be the best front tire I have ever run. Just incredible grip, traction and control... wheel steered over any type of obstacle with ease. You can feel its heft, but as a 29 in plus tire in the front, I don't see another tire comparing to it, maybe the Minion. Wow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bontrager Team SE4 VS XR4 Volumes-2019-04-02-20.39.55.jpg  

Bontrager Team SE4 VS XR4 Volumes-2019-05-11-14.16.54.jpg  

Bontrager Team SE4 VS XR4 Volumes-i39-carbon-rim.jpg  

NEMBA
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    XR4 2.6 in 29" is a bloody good all around tire.

I've got one on the front of my 160mm FS rig.

But, I think it'll be better suited to my AM HT 29er.

It rolls reasonable quick.

The tread isn't overly aggressive, but the sheer width gives plenty of grip.

It's sensitive to pressures... +/- 3-4psi & it'll be harsh/squirmy.

With right psi it purrs, confidently down the trail.

Out back is a 2.5 Maxxis Aggressor.

Great combo that will be migrating to my HT.

Once my new Pike turns up =)

Current fork on HT won't take 2.6 :-(

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Just a follow up on fit, no trouble at all on the Plus wheels. Identical rolling resistance to the 2.8 Rekons I took off.
    One surprise was the discovery of tubes in the tires (I was wondering why there was no pressure loss over the last year). I wasn't prepared as I didn't have valves, but will get tubeless set up this week.
    alright!

I've been looking into this for quite a while (timberjack duroc 45 (41mm internal), I want to try 2.6" tires but not sure if it's a good idea.

check out my thread: https://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-p...o-1102406.html

So anyways, you got the 2.6" on, did you happen to do a side-by-side, before/after picture with the stock 2.8 rekons and the new 2.6 bontragers?

Please report back with more of your findings, I am very interested as I am looking to pull the trigger on some 2.6" tires to replace the 2.8" from my timberjack!

mtbr member
    No, I didn't put the caliper on the Rekons for a pic, but I remember them being at just about 2.8. My head was swimming with all of the tire size info with no specific answers to from anyone who had put this size on a 41`mm i.d. wheel, I am glad I pulled the trigger.

mtbr member
    No, I didn't put the caliper on the Rekons for a pic, but I remember them being at just about 2.8. My head was swimming with all of the tire size info with no specific answers to from anyone who had put this size on a 41`mm i.d. wheel, I am glad I pulled the trigger.
    awesome, any reason you ended up with bontrager?

I was looking at your schwalbe thread and it looks like you made up your mind with bontrager quite quickly and pulled the trigger

mtbr member
    Nope, it was something I brought up when I bought the bike a year ago, and began passively looking then. It took about 4 months of serious R&D and hemming and hawing.
    Bontragers, from what I read, seemed to be the ones that would conform best to the wide wheel set that I have.