Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    61

    Bontrager 29x2.6 - XR4 vs XR5

    I've owned an XR4 29x2.4 and would like to try a 2.6 up front. I was going to get the XR4 but now I see the XR5 in a 2.6. Anyone have any experience with the XR5? Curious if the weight is close to claimed. Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sethd513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    276
    I know you are going 29er but I just got a 27.5 set of se4 and se5. Same as xr just a touch heavier casing. I got the se5 In a 2.6 and the se4 In a 2.4. The se5 is about 1/8 inch bigger but seems to be measuring at 64mm wide not 66 on a 30.5i rim. Leading me to want a 2.6 se4 in the rear to even things out. Not sure. Defiantly heavier then the se4 much heavier but I donít have exact weights.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,395
    Quote Originally Posted by phrider View Post
    I've owned an XR4 29x2.4 and would like to try a 2.6 up front. I was going to get the XR4 but now I see the XR5 in a 2.6. Anyone have any experience with the XR5? Curious if the weight is close to claimed. Thanks.

    XR4 is typically a better front than XR5.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    XR4 is typically a better front than XR5.
    Thanks, I decided to pickup an XR4 2.6 today.

  5. #5
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,722
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    XR4 is typically a better front than XR5.
    Than XR5? That seems odd. XR4 over XR3, I can understand. The SE5/GE5 seems to have always gotten great reviews, only complaint was no 2.5" size. Looking at the tread design, the XR5 looks similar to a DHR2, which should be an awesome front tire.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sethd513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Than XR5? That seems odd. XR4 over XR3, I can understand. The SE5/GE5 seems to have always gotten great reviews, only complaint was no 2.5" size. Looking at the tread design, the XR5 looks similar to a DHR2, which should be an awesome front tire.
    Only reason Iíd throw se5 out back is if the 2.6 fit for one and I put a 2.8 se4 up front


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,340
    Nobody's talking about the back.
    XR/SE...the higher the number, the bigger, taller and fewer the knobs, the stronger the braking, and more aggressive the cornering ability.
    One's not "better" than the other, they're just different. Take a 4, drop the transition knobs, beef up the center and side knobs, you get the 5.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ColinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,561
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Nobody's talking about the back.
    XR/SE...the higher the number, the bigger, taller and fewer the knobs, the stronger the braking, and more aggressive the cornering ability.
    One's not "better" than the other, they're just different. Take a 4, drop the transition knobs, beef up the center and side knobs, you get the 5.
    Right, which is great for lift service. Going fast at high lean angles.

    For trail riding, a lot of people will miss those intermediate knobs. Which is why a previous poster said that many people prefer the XR4/SE4 to the XR5/SE5.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,399
    Just a little FYI for those, who like me didn't know or realise, but along with the jump to a bit stouter/heavier casing going from XR to SE you also get softer rubber, so better grip, especially in the wet, something to consider depending on where you live and ride - I did not know this or that the difference was as substantial as I found out, like going from Maxxis Single compound to 3C MaxxGrip nearly.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  10. #10
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,395
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    going from XR to SE you also get softer rubber

    I can find zero evidence that this is true. 61a/50a across the board.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,399
    On the XR/SE4 you are correct, but on the XR/SE3 there is a substantial change, 62a/60a on the XR to 61a/50a on the SE. I was given a few of the XR3s and really liked them as a fast rolling XC tyre that could still handle some good chunk, but when/if there was wet, it was super sketchy, so finding that for a small weight gain I could maybe get ride of alot of that wet weather feel, could be a potential tyre again. Side note, never felt the XR casing lacked, have pinged/popped it off our coral that it was soloud the guy at the back of the group heard it and not even a decent scratch on the casing.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I can find zero evidence that this is true. 61a/50a across the board.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  12. #12
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,395
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    On the XR/SE4 you are correct, but on the XR/SE3 there is a substantial change, 62a/60a on the XR to 61a/50a on the SE.

    This thread is about 29 x 2.6" tires. None of the XR/SE3's come in anything larger than 2.4.

    Your observation holds true for those tires, this just isn't the place for it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Right, which is great for lift service. Going fast at high lean angles.

    For trail riding, a lot of people will miss those intermediate knobs. Which is why a previous poster said that many people prefer the XR4/SE4 to the XR5/SE5.
    For sure, but the OP didn't specify the type of trails or riding, just wanted to know the difference. The XR5(ok, my 2.3" one compared to the 2.3 and 2.4" XR4) doesn't need any higher a lean angle than a XR4 for the side knobs to hook up, just digs into loose stuff better because its knobs are taller and wider. Each has its own set of compromises, and either could work better, depending on what you want from the tire. I use the XR5 up front over the XR4, which I have used up front and currently use for a rear tire, strictly because of that additional traction when cornering on loose over soft surfaces where the knobs digging deeper gives me more confidence(whether that's actually necessary where I ride is quite debatable, but the fact that it allows me, at my skill level, to ride more confidently is not).

  14. #14
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,869
    This 2.6 at 900g for 27.5 is looking attractive, especially since Conti can't get their TK 2.6 released.

    50a on the side knobs works for me on a tire that is 2.6 or over.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Nobody's talking about the back.
    XR/SE...the higher the number, the bigger, taller and fewer the knobs, the stronger the braking, and more aggressive the cornering ability.
    One's not "better" than the other, they're just different. Take a 4, drop the transition knobs, beef up the center and side knobs, you get the 5.
    They need to make a 6 the 4 with better side knobs.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    23,399
    You are right, but did not know that it only applied to the <"3" series of tyres, thought it went all the way up/through the lot, had only looked at the XR3.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    This thread is about 29 x 2.6" tires. None of the XR/SE3's come in anything larger than 2.4.

    Your observation holds true for those tires, this just isn't the place for it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    They need to make a 6 the 4 with better side knobs.
    You know you're not gonna get any argument from me there!
    Have to confess I'm still a little HD curious, but I'm happy enough with the XR4 and XR5 that I already bought spares.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    You know you're not gonna get any argument from me there!
    Have to confess I'm still a little HD curious, but I'm happy enough with the XR4 and XR5 that I already bought spares.
    I like the XR4 for when its dry, but we only had 2 weeks of that this whole season. Once wet or really loose it slides a bit more than I like but they're nicer to peddle than minions.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sethd513's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    276
    Today was my first ride with the se5 2.6 front and se4 2.4 rear. Iím going from front and rear se5 2.3.

    Front 2.6 se5 is a great tire. Today everything was sloppy. I was able to back off my pressure a ton and could feel the larger knobs really working for me.

    Rear se4 2.4 was not so great. Going from a 2.3se5 it was noticeably fast. Also climbing grip was just about even. The only downside is the off camber slick stuff. That tire doesnít really like it. If the 2.6 se4 is larger then the 2.4 as compared to the 2.3 and 2.6 se5, then that would be better off. My bike wonít fit that though. Not sure what rear tire will be but the 2.6 se5 up front is the bomb.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    177
    Which of these tires would be the better choice for the front on wet and very rooty trails?

Similar Threads

  1. Bontrager XR5 Team Issue
    By OwenM in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-02-2018, 04:39 AM
  2. Looking for a Bonty XR4 29x2.4 Team.
    By Throb in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-21-2017, 07:13 PM
  3. Bontrager Tires - XR4 Expert vs XR4 Team Issue
    By V8Interceptor in forum Trek
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2015, 04:12 AM
  4. Bontrager XR4 Comp vs. XR4 Team Issue vs. ???
    By bluntrager in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 06:02 AM
  5. DT Swiss XR4.2D vs. XR4.1D
    By emejay in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 09:59 PM

Members who have read this thread: 143

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.