Bont XR3 team issue vs. Schwalbe Rock Razor evo snakeskin speedgrip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Bont XR3 team issue vs. Schwalbe Rock Razor evo snakeskin speedgrip

I have both of these tires on a shelf, but was considering returning one. The XR3 is a 29 x 2.4 & the Rock Razor is a 29 x 2.35.

I'm sort of a hard trail/ light enduro style rider with a penchant for fast loose turns and silly slow loose climbs requiring grip as I sometimes lack the technique.

It's nothing but dry, rocky, and very hot here. So hot that rolling resistance REALLY matters right now.

By the old fingernail feel, the Rock Razor has considerably softer center tread, but then the knobs are shorter and closer. Also that Addix is some special stuff. (My current rear favorite tire is the HD2.)

In the past I've disliked the feel of squarish tires, they seem to drag more and lean poorly but it's been some years. I've always preferred really rounded tires. 30mm ID wheels btw.

I like the rounded appearance of a mounted XR3 as I think rounded tires transition and lean much better than squarish tires.

Side treads are gooey on both of these tires.

Thoughts on traction, rolling resistance, etc.

Ps. I just slapped an MSC Gripper on up front that I'm looking forward to trying. Previous was an Eliminator.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Maybe it's the pic but the XR3 looks like the old style and no the new updated tire.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gundrted View Post
    Maybe it's the pic but the XR3 looks like the old style and no the new updated tire.

I need to know that cause if so I'm definitely returning that one! Please advise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

The new version has larger outside knobs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    The new XR3 is like an XR2 and XR4 had a love child. XR2 nubs in the center and XR4 lugs at the edge.

mtbr member
    I have an old XR3, and if the new XR3 has an even less aggressive center, there's no way I would consider it. The old XR3 already has little braking traction and absolutely an emphasis on rolling fast. Im running it on the rear, and I think it would be a death wish up front if you're pushing it. Its an XC tire.

The more I ride the XR3 the more I wish I got an XR4, even as a rear tire. This isnt a grippy tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks guys. Returning the XR3.
    Thanks!

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

The new version has larger outside knobs.
    lol, no it doesn't. They're like 2.5mm!

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post

In the past I've disliked the feel of squarish tires, they seem to drag more and lean poorly but it's been some years. I've always preferred really rounded tires. 30mm ID wheels btw.
    You're in Austin, right? You're describing a Vittoria Goma 2.4. I'd get the e-goma from bike-components.de since it has g+ and isn't quite as wide, more like a true 2.4.

Hi There!
    I had a Rock Razor in back in the same conditions you describe and I loved it. It would just start to break loose in a turn before the side knobs grabbed...so much fun for me.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Got a ride today on the Rock Razor and it's a fast tire! Enjoyed it.
    I didn't suffer for climbing traction at all.
    Had some rear drifts for sure but that's pretty typical of the loose rocky conditions I was riding.
    My fav rear tire after trying many has been the Hans Dampf 2 (snakeskin 2.35 with Pepi's) as of late. Too soon to decide if I prefer the Rock Razor over the HD2. I certainly like it a lot, of this I'm certain.
    Also running an MSC Gripper up front. Great traction, on par with the DHF2.5 3c I'd say. Don't love the rolling resistance however. It compares favorably to the DHF but feels a bit doggy compared to my preferred Eliminator 2.6 as a front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I love everything about the Rock Razor except that it's too damn fragile (no wonder either given the sub-800 gram weight). Have gotten so many punctures on it that I ended up throwing it in the bin. And this is with a CushCore insert.

Cannot understand why Schwalbe doesn't offer the 29" version with a SuperGravity casing, when they do have it in 27.5". But then again, there are a lot of casing/thread combinations Schwalbe could offer, but don't, which doesn't make any sense to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossmaxx View Post
    I love everything about the Rock Razor except that it's too damn fragile (no wonder either given the sub-800 gram weight). Have gotten so many punctures on it that I ended up throwing it in the bin. And this is with a CushCore insert.

Cannot understand why Schwalbe doesn't offer the 29" version with a SuperGravity casing, when they do have it in 27.5". But then again, there are a lot of casing/thread combinations Schwalbe could offer, but don't, which doesn't make any sense to me.
    This 1000%. I absolutely love the performance of the rock razor, but I am done with them.

I've been through three (two old, one addix). I ripped the side knobs off, and I got so many punctures on them I just didn't trust them. I've got a minion ss which is ok, but it's got less volume and I wanted a rounder profile.

I would gladly buy them even if they were 80g heavier if they had some puncture resistance.

I'm debating trying the XR3 (hence being in this thread).
    2016 Hightower
    2017 Fuse
    2018 Tallboy

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Have you looked at the offerings from Teravail. They have some very interesting designs and different casing weights.

https://teravail.com/tires/off-road