big, agressive, tubless?- Mtbr.com
    viva la v-brakes!

big, agressive, tubless?

What do people like for big, agressive, UST tubless tires for dry conditions (sandy soil, rocks, gravel, slickrock)?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    What do people like for big, agressive, UST tubless tires for dry conditions (sandy soil, rocks, gravel, slickrock)?
    I looove Maxxis Minions run with Stan's sealant. I run them on XM 819 rims and no rim strip, and I've never had a flat with this combo.
    The Minions are heavy (870g for the single-ply) but thats because they've got tough sidewalls that will stand up to sharp rocks and cacti.
    Incredible grip in all conditions but mud, and they are very predictable when they do break free.

mtbr member

single ply UST minion???

Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    I looove Maxxis Minions run with Stan's sealant. I run them on XM 819 rims and no rim strip, and I've never had a flat with this combo.
    The Minions are heavy (870g for the single-ply) but thats because they've got tough sidewalls that will stand up to sharp rocks and cacti.
    Incredible grip in all conditions but mud, and they are very predictable when they do break free.
    Where did you find single ply UST minions???

All I've found in UST are 1300gr doubles.

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Where did you find single ply UST minions???

All I've found in UST are 1300gr doubles.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I run the standard, non-UST, wire-bead single-ply in 2.35". Though I see they now have a Kevlar-bead version that should work equally well, and be a little lighter.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Kinetics

I have been impressed by the UST Kenda Kinetics I have been running. Plenty fat for trail riding (they say 2.2, but seem a little chubbier) They are nice and predictable in loose gravel stuff and rocks, but they seem to like the dry better than the wet. And FWIW, they look moto. =) 880g isn't too bad for something this big.

They kind of remind me of super-bulked up IRC Mythos.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by VpointVick
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I run the standard, non-UST, wire-bead single-ply in 2.35". Though I see they now have a Kevlar-bead version that should work equally well, and be a little lighter.
    So VpointVick, you're running the wire bead Minon tubeless w/ Stan's - is this correct?

It's been said at least a few times that wire beads and Stan's don't mix, and from my one experience trying to mount a wire bead Geax w/ Stans, I thought this was universally true. But if you got it to work... My lbs has wire bead Minions in stock...

Please let me know - I know this is redundent, but I need to know before buying yet another expensive tire...

Tnaks!

Land shark deployed......

I agree.....

Kenda Kinetics have done great for me..... They do have a cool moto look and seem to be bulletproof when it comes to construction.
    I am tempted to give the Spider 2.3 UST a try when they wear out........

viva la v-brakes!

went with da spiders

thanks all for the input.

I ended up going with the Hutch. Spiders 2.3. The Kenetics were a close second, I rode on the 2.1 tubed version for a day last year and was pretty impressed. In the end the weight weenie in me won out, the Spiders weigh only 760 grams.

Then if I break those, eh, I'll give the Kenda's a try.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Auto-x addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    So VpointVick, you're running the wire bead Minon tubeless w/ Stan's - is this correct?

It's been said at least a few times that wire beads and Stan's don't mix, and from my one experience trying to mount a wire bead Geax w/ Stans, I thought this was universally true. But if you got it to work... My lbs has wire bead Minions in stock...

Please let me know - I know this is redundent, but I need to know before buying yet another expensive tire...

Tnaks!
    Thats right. I've run this setup for a year and half. You're not going to get these to seat the bead with a floor pump; compressed air is definately required. Once the beads are seated though, there are no problems!

mtbr member
    thanks all for the input.

I ended up going with the Hutch. Spiders 2.3. The Kenetics were a close second, I rode on the 2.1 tubed version for a day last year and was pretty impressed. In the end the weight weenie in me won out, the Spiders weigh only 760 grams.

Then if I break those, eh, I'll give the Kenda's a try.
    I am running 2.3F/2.1R UST spiders on xmax's since the end of summer (for NE winter riding) and am very impressed with not only the weight but good traction and that they roll amazingly well (for an aggressive tire). (the 2.10 is big, nearly the size of the 2.30 and only weighs about 50g less)