Best Sealant- Mtbr.com

Thread: Best Sealant

mtbr member
    May 2008

Best Sealant

I need some new sealant and was wondering which lasts the longest. I did a search but didn't see any recent threads.

I prefer Stans over Slime. My LBS likes Orange. Does Orange last longer and is it worth the additional $?

EDR
    Not sure about orange never tried it.

For many years now I have been using roughly a 50-50 mix of slime tubeless with Stan's. Works for me in the desert heat. The slime keeps the whole thing viscous far longer than stans on its own and all my punctures seem to seal just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I use Orange exclusively. I does dry up after a while (like all sealants) but it's not too difficult to clean up since it tends to form big patches that you can just peel off.

Bikesexual
    +1 for Orange. I'm in SoCal and it seems to last a while.

Bikes are stored indoor.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

since 4/10/2009
    I tried Orange Seal for the first time this spring. *shrug* I'm not convinced that it's any better than anything else out there in any substantial way.

I've used homebrew sealant, Stan's, Bontrager's stuff, and now Orange Seal. They all work. I will say this...the sharp glitter flakes in Orange will destroy the seals on your valve cores if any of them get stuck in there. I had a helluva problem with that for a bit.

chasing simplicity
    Yep, only sealant I’ve had valve core plugging with is Orange Seal. The only upside I find with Orange Seal is that it is the the easiest to remove old sealant when changing either sealant or tires. It peels right out almost in one piece. Stans leaves substantial residue.
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    The only upside I find with Orange Seal is that it is the the easiest to remove old sealant when changing either sealant or tires. It peels right out almost in one piece. Stans leaves substantial residue.
    I've honestly never really bothered to remove old sealant that's sticking to the tire casing. I'll scrub off the beads so they have a smooth surface to mate against the rim, but the rest? meh. I'll also scrub the old sealant off if I need to patch the tire casing, but that's an even rarer occurrence. With Stan's, most of the dried sealant becomes a Stanimal, which isn't so hard to remove.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I prefer Orange Seal to all others. I go through 2-3 quarts a year.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Stan's clogged my stems also. Stan's doesn't plug punctures nearly as well as Orange Seal Endurance. I think that the glitter in OSE works as advertised. I've never had an issue with it. The OSE doesn't dry up nearly as quickly as Stan's in the SoCal desert. The OSE is not perfect, but it keeps me from having to be a garage scientist. It is the lesser of two evils.

mtbr member
    TruckerCo Cream for me. I have a 2 oz. syringe with a tube small enough to fit through the valve so I add a couple of oz. every 3-4 months without breaking the bead. Between rides, the tires show "wet residue" at each pinhole being patched by the cream coupled with between 1-2 psi loss...simply pump and ride. Tubeless is so convenient...
    2018 Fuel Ex 5 27.5+
    Bontrager Dropline 125
    Ergon GP1 BioKork grips
    Pedaling Innovations Catalysts

This place needs an enema
    The right sealant is regional, subject to temps and humidity, not to mention the things most likely to put holes in your tires.

Trust your LBS on this one.

Where I live it's Orange Seal Endurance spring/summer/fall, and SubZero in winter.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Orange endurance. In my sample size it works better than other off the shelf stuff I've tried. It's not like I'm puncturing the same size hole in the same tire at the same temp with the same psi & same fluid volume but I'll continue to believe it functions better until I don't.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Why do you use the Orange endurance and not the regular?
    Is the regular really not lasting that long?

Bodhisattva
    I find Orange seal (standard formula) and Stan's to be equally "ok"- both seal tires, both have their limits for punctures, both dry out over a similar timespan. I haven't tried Orange enduro formula. Between the two, I hedge towards Stan's because I don't care for the orange stain on my hands when working with Orange seal. I use Orange sub-zero in my fatbike for winter with satisfactory results.

I ran e-13 plasma earlier this year. It's really thick but evaporated quickly, so I moved on.

Currently I'm using Muc-off sealant with good results for the past few months. It sealed several tires quickly and without appreciable overnight airloss, and I've had no punctures/tears to report - I don't know if it's doing it's job, or if I'm just in an unusually good run of no punctures, but I favor the former.

I've also tried the much-maligned Finish Line sealant and had good results. I used 50 ml more than recommended for tire size and had no failures. The Finish line and muc-off look/feel similar to me (aside from the color dye) and so I wonder if they are of a similar composition. I still had liquid Finish line when the tire was discarded several months later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I liked Orange endurance, that had lasted more than a year for me. But since I started mixing different wheels and tires, went with Stan's, that is cheaper and seals as good as Orange.

mtbr member
    I've found the magic combo.

Orange seal sets up a new tire the best and seals any porosity. It dries quick.

Bontrager lasts sooooo long, but sets up poorly.

Setup once with OS, and ride out the season with bontrager! This works so well I've sort of forgotten about wheel maintenance. It just keeps working.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Stans is the best because it is cheaper than orange and seals equally as well for any holes that I've had in my tires.

Longer is sort of a moot point as they all manage to dry up. Is there a benefit for it to last 5 months instead of 4 months in the hottest of hot climates?
    It HOT where I live and I get several months, and bike is garage stored where it cooks every day through the warm months.

I purchased an 8oz bottle of Orange because I took bike in the shop once to add sealant for me. They installed Orange so I got a bottle as I'd be topping off and figured I'd change the other tire so they matched.

mtbpete
    I've used both quite a bit. I have not used the Orange seal endurance. The basic orange seal does not seam to last as long as Stan's. The orange seal also plugs the valve frequently and even formed a bubble around the valve area in one of my plus tires, which I found out because inflating the tire wasn't working so I took the tire off and found the problem. I have to say I have really never had this exact problem with Stan's. The worst I've had with Stan's is a chunk of sealant getting pushed into the valve area, which can usually be poked out with a small screwdriver. I could not poke out the orange seal bubble because it adhered to the tire on the inside - it is very stretchy as well. I find the orange a bit more troublesome than Stan's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by windsurfdog View Post
    TruckerCo Cream for me. I have a 2 oz. syringe with a tube small enough to fit through the valve so I add a couple of oz. every 3-4 months without breaking the bead. Between rides, the tires show "wet residue" at each pinhole being patched by the cream coupled with between 1-2 psi loss...simply pump and ride. Tubeless is so convenient...
    I have been on truckerco for a few years now. It has worked really well for me. I also use it for my gravel bike as well.

mtbr member
    Best value may be Berryman Tire Seal-R, $30/gal at Tractor Supply Co... Has no latex and does not dry out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    Best value may be Berryman Tire Seal-R, $30/gal at Tractor Supply Co... Has no latex and does not dry out.
    Been using Berryman for 2 years with great results. Just replenish every 4-5 months and you're good. In the winter, it lasts even longer. I've turned most of my friends onto Berryman and they love it. Cheap and effective. I also get mine at Tractor Supply but Amazon has it too.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieM8 View Post
    Been using Berryman for 2 years with great results. Just replenish every 4-5 months and you're good. In the winter, it lasts even longer. I've turned most of my friends onto Berryman and they love it. Cheap and effective. I also get mine at Tractor Supply but Amazon has it too.

Where do you live? How hot does it get in summer? How cold in winter? What sort of punctures is it sealing?

Berryman sounds like a unicorn. Just want to understand where you're using it to understand if it might work where I live/ride.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Live in the southwest desert. Very dry and hot in the summer, upper 90s to 100 degrees. The coldest months are Jan and Feb, which gets down in the 20s and teens. I ride in Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico. Lots of cactus and goat head thorns where I ride and run over them frequently. The Berryman seals fine in those situations. Lots of sharp rocks also and it has sealed a few small gashes. With big gashes, nothing can seal those IMO so I carry plugs in those events. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I've found the magic combo.

Orange seal sets up a new tire the best and seals any porosity. It dries quick.

Bontrager lasts sooooo long, but sets up poorly.

Setup once with OS, and ride out the season with bontrager! This works so well I've sort of forgotten about wheel maintenance. It just keeps working.
    THIS. Just don't mix the two tho. FWIW I'm working with the manufacturer of the Bontrager sealant to improve the weeping/initial setup issues. They've constantly improved that product (the latest version is blue in color).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

chasing simplicity
    Specialized has a brand new sealant called RapidAir developed especially for high pressure (+70 psi) road tubeless tires because the usual suspects don't work well to either setup or seal. They claim highest setup, and seals up to 3mm, and holds for reinflation. So if it works for road, even better for mtb...perhaps requiring much less sealant? Dunno. Here's the Spesh link anyway, saw it mentioned on Velonews in the context of new Spesh road tires. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ra...=277540-174150
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

Rides all the bikes!
    Haven't noticed a performance difference in the ones I've used. Just different colors.

I'm going to try TruckerCo next just because it seems to be cheapest...and I know the owner. My LBS hookup is gone, so I'm looking at new sources.

mtbr member
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/b...sealant-378703

Here in so cal, the orange seal endurance has proven to be what works for me. I ran stans on my road and mtb and had multiple flats that wouldn’t close on both of them. After switching to orange seal I have been problem free the last 3 years on all my bikes. If you have multiple bikes, it is cost effective to buy the big shop bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Haven't noticed a performance difference in the ones I've used. Just different colors.

I'm going to try TruckerCo next just because it seems to be cheapest...and I know the owner. My LBS hookup is gone, so I'm looking at new sources.
    Read this thread and you may think again...
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...e-1050425.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I've been using Orange Seal Endurance and Sub Zero for a few years now and probably won't switch any time soon. I've used others in the past without the same success.

mtbr member
    I've tried a few including Stan's, Bontrager, Orange Seal / Orange Seal Sub Zero and Muc Off. All seem to work good. I usually buy what's on sale or what's on the shelf at the local shop.

Have had tires go flat by the next morning but never stranded on the trail.
    Stan's sealant does ball up inside the tire a bit.
    Muc off is expensive.
    Orange seal did clog up a couple valve cores but that was over the winter when it was cold.

Never tried Gup but I think that's a roadie product.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The right sealant is regional, subject to temps and humidity, not to mention the things most likely to put holes in your tires.

Trust your LBS on this one.

Where I live it's Orange Seal Endurance spring/summer/fall, and SubZero in winter.
    This applies 100% for me. Including the part about what my LBS uses. OSE and SubZero.
    2020 Kona Unit (in progress...)
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear