mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Best HUB under 50 bucks

Hey guys, would you please recomend me which hub do you consider to be the best with price under 50 bucks? I need only rear hub 12x142 8-11 freehub body for shimano cassette and i also like it loud

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I am not sure you will find much new at that price point. I was poking around on eBay and there is a new Shimano XT FH-M8010 (centerlock) for $50 + $6 shipping. I have an older Specialized 12x142 Hub (6 bolt) that I would be willing to sell/ship to you if you are interested - it is brand new, but I am not sure how good or not good it is. PM me if you are interested.

I'd dig around classified ads and see what you can find. Personally, the rear hub is one of those places I've always been willing to spend money on. Good luck!
    Last edited by SqueakyWheel73; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:23 PM.

mtbr member
    I think you're asking for a free unicorn here. Most decent hubs cost quite a bit more than that. If you go cheap, be sure to find something that has replacement parts available. I actually enjoy wheel building but replacing a whole hub sucks. You will most likely need new spokes when you do that, too.

The Bitex hubs from bikehubstore.com get good reviews. $150 for the rear boost hub.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I think you're asking for a free unicorn here. Most decent hubs cost quite a bit more than that. If you go cheap, be sure to find something that has replacement parts available. I actually enjoy wheel building but replacing a whole hub sucks. You will most likely need new spokes when you do that, too.

The Bitex hubs from bikehubstore.com get good reviews. $150 for the rear boost hub.
    Totally agree with everything mack_turtle said. No good way to replace a hub that goes bad...

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    May I ask, what exactly is better on more expensive hubs? I mean, why should I be willing spend more money on somethinh where i see just bearings?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Juklicekcz View Post
    May I ask, what exactly is better on more expensive hubs? I mean, why should I be willing spend more money on somethinh where i see just bearings?
    The answer lies in your OP, wherein you state that you like it loud. The loudness comes from the ratchet mechanism, which are of widely varying weight, strength, and functionality (points of engagement), and, of course, quality.

mtbr member
    More expensive hubs from reputable companies are generally more reliable. Having something break on your bike always sucks, but having a rear hub with a cracked axle, frozen bearings, or a failed freehub mechanism ends your ride instantly. Many cheap hubs are not designed to be serviced this way- try getting a hold of a replacement Formula freehub! If replacement parts are not available, you have to un-lace the wheel and replace the whole hub

Shimano hubs are usually cheap and good quality, but they don't have a loud, fast-engaging mechanism. Their freehubs are also known to blow up, and many people don't like screwing around with cup-cone bearings.

The clutch, ratchet, or drive mechanism in the hub must work with a great deal of precision, fit in a small space, and be strong enough to withstand a lot of force. It is not easy or cheap to design or manufacturer something that is small, light, strong, and precise, so good hubs are expensive.

Front hubs are a lot simpler, so if you want to save on a wheelset, get a cheap front hub and splurge on the rear.

For scale, that Bitex hub is $150.
    Hadley $300
    Industry 9 Torch $400
    Chris King $450
    Onyx $450
    DT Swiss 240 $350
    DT Swiss 350 $200-250
    Hope $200-250

Barely in control
    You want them to make you four bearings, a freehub, a freehub ratchet mechanism, a machined aluminum hub shell, an axle, and some end caps for cheap enough to make a profit margin on $50 retail? lol

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    There is a lot going on in there and tons of force. This year I've broken two axle-sleeves and a freehub on a name-brand set of wheels. They're taking care of me (and just sent me a whole-new wheel with a new prototype stronger axle), but there's no-way you'll find anything decent for $50. Even $100 (new).

Look for a DT Swiss DT350 used. Since you're not Boost spacing, you should be able to find used ones at a good price. The POE isn't very high, but I'll take rock-solid reliability over engagement (kind of...I like higher POE, but you can upgrade the DT ratchet when you're ready).

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    XT at Universal Cycles is about $50. Centerlock though. The XTR is about $89 if I remember, MSRP of $300. Quiet hubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, itís not just bearings. Like others have said itís the freehub mechanism which is probably the trickiest spot but also axle strength and availability of parts. Obviously if you can only spend so much you can only spend so much, but everyone is recommending to find a way to spend much more than $50 if you want anything that is somewhat decent.
    Or, if you just want to build a wheel for one epic ride, youíre probably fine with a $50 hub, YMMV.