The best get better- Mtbr.com
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015

The best get better

Thanks Pinkpowa for the heads up.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/new-bontrag...tires-launched

The best xc tire ever made just got better. The 2.3 is the ideal one for XC racing. It's about 710gms.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Elitest thrill junkie
    So Maxxis tires are getting even better?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Definitely gonna try one when my XR4s wear out. Only reason I ditched XR3 for the rear was washing out in soft, loose corners. Liked it fine on damp roots and rocks, as well as smoother, harder trail surfaces, side knobs just didn't have the bite I wanted.
    Perhaps the redesign having been in the works for awhile answers the "why no 2.6" XR3?" question.

Ahhh the pain....
    Looks like a Rekon Race knockoff...

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It is interesting watching the weight of XC tires creep up and up. Wasn't that long ago that a tire over 600 grams in 29 was way too heavy for racing. Not saying that durable tires is a bad thing. But some XC tires are starting to push the 800 gram mark, and that is pretty close to Minion territory.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Old XR3 teams are on sale now... but for the marginal price difference I'd like to try the new one. Anyone have an ETA on availability?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    It is interesting watching the weight of XC tires creep up and up. Wasn't that long ago that a tire over 600 grams in 29 was way too heavy for racing. Not saying that durable tires is a bad thing. But some XC tires are starting to push the 800 gram mark, and that is pretty close to Minion territory.
    Also, I think sidewall technology/design is such that going up in weight may not result in an increase in rolling resistance. My timed climbs on my 27.5x2.6" Nobby Nics is faster, consistently, than on my 27.5x2.35 Nobby Nics. Terrain can be a factor too, of course, so a flat buff trail may be different. XC courses seem to be moving toward more aggressive terrain, so maybe this is in response.

This place needs an enema
    they're in stock now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Going for this when my shop has their birthday sale. XR2 is my favorite.

mtbr member
    I like the xr3's quite a bit, tough and great grip in most conditions. Not so great in loose over hard surfaces but I've never had a tire that worked well for that.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    This will be my summer rear tire on my trail bike with the XR4 in front. I wonder if the SE3 is redesigned as well?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    New XR3 definitely looks good, siping is improved from XR2 center tread they're copying too. 700g+ tires are the new normal I think, I went back to some sub 600g tires recently and they felt absolutely insane (but sadly unreliable).
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    they're in stock now.
    Hi Mike, any word on a 29 x 2.6?

Cheers

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    Hi Mike, any word on a 29 x 2.6?

Cheers
    Nope, nor is there any word on 29 x 3.0", but I can hold my breath for both...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Order now off the website at 20% off for free pickup at a shop during Trek Days.
    Last edited by eb1888; 04-07-2019 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Order now off the website at 20% off for free pickup at a shop during Trek Days.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/11640/
    Those are the old XR3 pattern. These are the new ones:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Those are the old XR3 pattern. These are the new ones:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
    Thanks reordered. and deleted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

New XR3 - 29x2.4

Just mounted up one of the new 29x2.4 XR3's. It's an interesting design - The side knobs aren't symmetrical, and alternate between rectangular and angled blocks. Inflated it to 40 PSI,and measures 58.5 mm after sitting for a day on an i29 (old version was last measured at 61 mm). Unfortunately, our trails are soaked, so I won't get to test it for a few days.

The best get better-img_4505.jpg

The best get better-img_4506.jpg

mtbr member
    Thats pretty disappointing about the width. The more I look at these, I think I like the old xr3 pattern and knobs better. These will probably spin a bit faster, but not going to hook up as well as the old set.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I bought a new XR3 (29x2.4) and I'm comparing it to my 2.6 XR2. The center knobs look similar but there are more of them (closer together) on the XR3. They seem to be about the same depth, but if anything the XR3's looked shorter. Seems odd to me.

Notice that the new XR3 is heavier than the previous version, despite reports of it having a smaller casing. Very disappointing. Lots of knobs = heavier but lower rolling resistance?!?!

I also compared a 2.4 XR4 to my 2.6 XR4. The pattern looks similar but the knobs are noticeably larger on the 2.6. It's not just a larger casing. This explains why the 2.6 is so much heavier than the 2.4.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I put in my first proper ride on the new XR3 this evening, and was pleasantly surprised. It rolls noticeably quicker than the previous version, and doesnít seem to give up much traction. I was able to amble up steep, loose pitches much easier than with the old version, and didnít notice the extra (claimed) weight. Strava times were on the faster end, though this was mostly a casual ride.

The tire is still measuring 58.5 mm at riding pressure (22 PSI), and didnít seem to be as supple as other 2.4ís Iíve run. I did bump up the pressure after getting a few rim hits at my usual 20 PSI. It wouldíve been nice if the tire wouldíve measured up to size, but the performance is good enough for me to deal with the smaller volume. If youíre looking for a large 2.4, this definitely isnít it.

Iíll report back on longevity, but this tire is staying on for now. Tire was run on a the rear of a SIR9 SS, i29 rim, 22 PSI, rider weight 160 lb.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Will be interested in a long term report on these. I quite like the lively feel the old XR3 have and once my current pair wear out (or more likely gets shredded by flints) may well get the new style.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Looks like a Rekon Race knockoff...
    Indeed. They should have called it XR2.5 and left the XR3 alone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm stuck on the "smaller and heavier" part. WTF?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I wish they would've released an SE version of the new 3...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'm also interested in width/volume of this new tire...
    I'm planning to pair it with my actual XR4 2.6 front (approx. 65/66mm wide on 29i rim)
    Actual rear is XR3 2.4 and XR4 2.4 in some rides.... Both are approx. 60/61mm wide in 29i rim, a true 2.4....
    A little disappointed about the real with of these new XR3 on 29i rims... maybe a 58mm is not so good paired with a 66mm front tire? too much gap?

Thinking for the rear when they will worn out:
    - keep on using XR3/XR4 2.4
    - wait(and hope) that the new XR3 comes in 2.6
    - try an XR2 2.6...(maybe too small side knobs?)

mtbr member
    How much slower is the XR4? The old XR3 is a skimpy tire, and it sounds like the new one is even less aggressive down the middle.

All things considered, the even less aggressive XR2 must be a road bike tire. I'm not disappointed in the xr3, its extremely good for what it is! What it is is definitely an xc tire though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    How much slower is the XR4? The old XR3 is a skimpy tire, and it sounds like the new one is even less aggressive down the middle.

All things considered, the even less aggressive XR2 must be a road bike tire. I'm not disappointed in the xr3, its extremely good for what it is! What it is is definitely an xc tire though.
    Talking about rear tires: the rear xr4 is definitly slower than the xr3... i have some private strava segments that i use for training/warm up/testing.... i tend to pedal in those segments always with the same rythm or same heart rate..
    The xr3 needs less effort in the asphalt transfers for sure,... how much?... not that much i think.... from personal "feeling" it seems really faster, watching times, not that much....
    In the trails, when things gets a little more than XC, the rear xr4 from my experience turns and brakes better than the xr3 when it's steeper.
    I'm now on XR3 rear for everyday use when more asphalt transfer are needed to get to the trails, and switch to rear XR4 maybe in the winter or when i know that i will do rides with lot of descents.
    The new XR3 could be a sort of do it all... It could be that a knob design like the xr2... (less aggressive than the xr3), could maybe grip better in some trails than the xr3...
    A friend tried some Xr2 on hardtail xc, and xr3 on full susp. 120 trail bike, and he told me both have pro and cons...

Always speaking about trails, aggressive trails and xc stuff... not enduro.

mtbr member
    Many of Trek's XC bikes come with either XR2 front and rear, or XR1 rear with XR2 front. I have ridden the XR2 rear but would never put it up front; however, there are many XC racers who use similar (or less) tire like Conti Race King, Maxxis Aspen, etc.

XR2 works OK as a rear in pure hardpack. Shallow knobs wear pretty fast.

New XR3 looks a lot like a Rekon Race which itself seems to have copied/emulated the Vittoria Barzo. The Barzo is a pretty damn good tire so that's a favorable comparison. I'll try the new XR3 on the rear at some point but I don't race XC and prefer more tire than that up front for gnarly trail use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jp716 View Post
    Just mounted up one of the new 29x2.4 XR3's. It's an interesting design - The side knobs aren't symmetrical, and alternate between rectangular and angled blocks. Inflated it to 40 PSI,and measures 58.5 mm after sitting for a day on an i29 (old version was last measured at 61 mm). Unfortunately, our trails are soaked, so I won't get to test it for a few days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4505.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	1247921

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4506.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	1247922
    Hi, news?
    Is the tire always 58mm wide at riding pressure?
    Are you coming from a "old" rear XR3 2.4 ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Iíve only had it out for a few rides due to weather, but my first impressions still apply - it rolls better than the previous XR3 (Strava times have been quicker) and doesnít seem to give up much in terms of grip. I had it out on a slightly damp ride last night, and didnít have any issues with wet roots. Definitely not a mud tire, though.

Volume has not changed, and Iíve been keeping it pumped up to 40 PSI when Iím not riding in hopes of stretching. Still measured at 58.5 mm.

I had been running the previous XR3 almost consistently for the past few years. No complaints about it, but my shop switched over to the new version.

mtbr member
    yeah, 58.5mm is 2.3". no reasonable person would say a 29i rim was too narrow for a claimed 2.4" tire so this tire, at least the 29x2.4, is undersized.

Barely in control
    Geez, where is Frank Stacy and his wide rim wizardry when you need him?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    OK this is bizarre. I purchased a 29x2.4 XR3 and XR4, and just weighed and measured them.

The XR3 is smaller and heavier than the XR4. WTF!?!

XR3 weighs 786g (755 claimed so 31g overweight) with a 137 b2b.
    XR4 weighs 754g (780 claimed so 26g underweight) with a 142 b2b.

PICS: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zGLAqjNLnzmMSvff6

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    OK this is bizarre. I purchased a 29x2.4 XR3 and XR4, and just weighed and measured them.

So, are you planning to use the the new 2.4 XR3 paired with a 2.4 XR4 on front?
    If so, the wider XR4 on front will be good... regarding weights, i agree with you, but this is a tolerance percentage that maybe can happen...

But, think at mine 2.6 XR4 on front 66mm wide... paired with the new XR3 rear 58mm wide... if it was a true 2.4 60/61mm wide it will be a better match in my opinion...
    Even if there will be a new XR3 in 2.6... how much will it weigh? 900gr./950gr. in the rear of my trail bike... no thanks....
    Will buy a true 2.6 XR2 750gr. and place some bigger side knobs with glue

A really wasted opportunity (in my opinion)... the new XR3 tread design is modern and is what people look at now... but also volume and width is important... where 2.5 and 2.6 tires are now the standard on many many bikes... a true 2.4 (61mm) would have been perfect!
    Maybe they will modify the molds and correct the tire width for the next releases...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post

interesting. the xr4 is not new and it was known to be high volume and large diameter.

I wonder how the new XR3 compares to the b2b of the old 29x2.35. If perhaps they're the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have 4 more brand new 29er Team Issue Bonty tires for comparison - an XR1 2.2, an XR2 2.2, and 2 XR2 2.35's. I also remeasured the B2B for all of them from the outside edges (my measurements above were from the inside edge of each bead but that's too hard to measure consistently so I'll do B2B from the outside edge from now on.)

Code:
    Tire,    Weight,  B2B (outer edge of bead)
    XR1 2.2,    646,    148
    XR2 2.2,    644,    148
    XR2 2.35,   676,    152  (tire 1)
    XR2 2.35,   710,    152  (tire 2)
    XR4 2.4,    754,    152
    XR3 2.4,    784,    144
    The XR3 is the heaviest and smallest of the bunch.
    The XR1 2.2 is large for a 2.2
    I have two XR2 2.35's and they differ in weight by 34 grams (same B2B)
    From what I can tell the XR2 2.35 and XR4 2.4 use the same casing.
    XR3 casing feels completely different and is smoother and softer on the inside
    Measurements mounted on i30mm rim still pending.

Last edited by matto6; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Added the following tires (all 29" Team Issue) to the post above this one:

XR1 2.2
    XR2 2.2
    XR2 2.35 (two tires)

PS: Would someone be willing to change the subject of this thread to something that actually lets people know what's inside? Meaningful thread titles are really helpful for people looking for content like this.