Best am tire to run tubeless, also tubes Vs. Tubeless- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best am tire to run tubeless, also tubes Vs. Tubeless

Hey Guys:
    THis last summer I set up my rims ghetto tubeless with intense dh ex dc's. I ended up hating the experience. My first ride I was bucked over the bars, because the tire folded. I would like to know how to keep from having this experience happen again. I ride fairly aggressively. I'm looking for a 2.25-2.35, in the rear. And anywhere up to a 2.5 out front. Please let me know what you use, as it might put some wind in my sails to attempt tubeless again!!!

Thanks in advance!

dwt
    mtbr member
    I am not in the majority on this, but after my own not so good experiences with getting regular tires to seat and then hold onto the rim tubeless, I now only run tires with UST beads. This means either a full UST tire or a TLR.

I can get any tire with a UST bead to seat and hold tight on any rim with tape and sealant, without a rimstrip and without a ghetto tube. That's an advantage. The disadvantage is that a full UST tire usually is heavier and more expensive than a regular tire. It is more flat resistant, it stays on the rim, but it is beefy and overweight.

Recently I have started running TLR tires - which have a UST bead but not a lot of extra material in the casing. Specifically Geax Barro Mtn. TNT. These are lighter than UST, but not as light as most regular tires. But, no rimstrip.

So I'm thinking this may be the best all around answer to the question. Have to wait till spring though to get in a lot of miles and see how they hold up compared to UST.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Members who have read this thread: 0