Beefier Rekon options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Beefier Rekon options

So I like the Rekon 2.6 for good dirt conditions.

But running DHF 2.6/Aggressor 2.5 for park, loose, and dusty conditions. I like this except for thin layer of dust. I think Rekon works better with smaller and transition knobs to bite through the thin dust layer while DHF can slide on top.

Other than Assagai, what's a good alternative that's like a beefier Rekon to replace DHF?

I do prefer the 2.5/2.6 size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I believe the Maxxis Dissector is pretty much what you are describing. I have not used one though. I am waiting for the 27.5 x 2.6 to get released this spring.

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    Vittoria Agarro fits your description...

Beefier Rekon options-8185cd16-c25a-4ab8-9db4-2faa42d9efb3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, I have Dissector, XR4, and Agarro on my radar. However I believe i saw on the Agarro thread that the 2.6 has shorter knobs than the 2.3 and the Dissector does not come int 2.6...yet. So I guess that leaves the XR4?

I should clarify, new tires will be for anything from dry dusty, loose, loose over hard, and bike park.

I'm also curious about the DHR2 2.6 up front. I wonder if the wider alternating center knobs help close out the open channels for better transitional grip compared to the DHF.

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    Megastokeís comment on Agarro 2.35 vs 2.6 knob height was ĎAs far as I can tell without actually mounting a tire up, the knob heights are the same.í The center knobs are the same height as those on my DHF. The bike came with DHRII front/rear and both are now in storage...

Having a nice day!
    I picked up a pair of XR4s last summer after things got so dry that I was skating around on my Rekons. I have been really pleased with how they have performed. I really like the Agarro, but I wish it had come in a little lighter. I still may get one and try it out though.

mtbr member
    I know that sizes and casings are limited currently, but the Dissector is definitely my mention here as well. I'm running the 2.4 on two bikes up front currently and love this tire. Its lighter than a DHF and livens up the bike a ton. I have two buddies on it as well and we actually refer to it as the "Mini DHF". Other than sand, I find this tire to be outstanding on nearly everything. A 2.6 could be awesome.
    Santa Cruz HT2

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    Online stores are now listing the 2.6 Dissector so must be available soon!!!

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ss-ready-black

Perpetual Hack
    I went from a Rekon to Dissector in the rear. (Trimmed DHR2 up front)
    Not too much time on the Dissector yet, but initial impressions are positive.
    It does a much better job of punching through trail litter like leaves and pine straw.
    Ultimate cornering grip is higher, and it brakes better but is a bit slower, but not as much as you would think.

It is now snow season, so it will have to wait until next year for an opinion on how it does on clean hardpack forest trails, which is the only spot the Rekon has a chance of besting the Dissector.

The Dissector may also make a great front tire, with a Rekon in the rear. Something to think about for high summer clear dry trails.

Again your local trails, bike, style and ability make this opinion worth what you paid for it.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothmoose View Post
    Yeah, I have Dissector, XR4, and Agarro on my radar. However I believe i saw on the Agarro thread that the 2.6 has shorter knobs than the 2.3 and the Dissector does not come int 2.6...yet. So I guess that leaves the XR4?

I should clarify, new tires will be for anything from dry dusty, loose, loose over hard, and bike park.

I'm also curious about the DHR2 2.6 up front. I wonder if the wider alternating center knobs help close out the open channels for better transitional grip compared to the DHF.
    The 2020 Scott geniuses are hitting the floor currently with 29/2.6" dissectors. I have one on order, with my LBS, as they're supposed to be available in January, according to qbp (I think is where they're coming from).

mtbr member
    Yup Iím running a Dissector 2.4 front with a Rekon 2.4 rear on my HT2 and itís light and fast in this configuration. Dissector 2.4 front with an Agressor 2.5 Rear on my hardtail. Both combos are fantastic. Iím pretty stoked to give the 2.6 a try.