100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

ATTN: 2.6 Rekon Rekon Crew - comments re running these front and rear?

I have read a few online reviews of the 2.6 Rekons which worry me a little given that I have typically run a DHF/DHR2 combo for the past several years. It appears (at least for some) that the lightweight casings may give rise to a bit of floppiness in aggressive cornering, and sidewall tears in sharp rocks. I am not overly worried about flats. My bigger concern is whether these tires will be grippy enough for my terrain (dry and rocky).

These will be run on 30 mm id rims.

Any feedback from the Rekon crew?

I like goin' fast
    They'll definitely be grippy in dry and rocky terrain. A few of us have been testing the 2.4 and 2.6 Rekons as rear tires with a DHF for Front Range conditions. It's a great off-season tire but not something we're likely to take to the bike park when the lifts are running.

If you're worried about durability, get the 60 TPI model since that'll use the same casing as most of the aggressive Maxxis tires (DHF, Aggressor, HRII, etc).
    Guerrilla Gravity
    Badass bikes. Made for goin' fast. Handbuilt in Colorado.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrilla Gravity View Post
    They'll definitely be grippy in dry and rocky terrain. A few of us have been testing the 2.4 and 2.6 Rekons as rear tires with a DHF for Front Range conditions. It's a great off-season tire but not something we're likely to take to the bike park when the lifts are running.

If you're worried about durability, get the 60 TPI model since that'll use the same casing as most of the aggressive Maxxis tires (DHF, Aggressor, HRII, etc).
    Thanks tons!!!

I can't get a 2.6 DHF in Canada and I can't see to track one down online. So as it stands, I am down to 2.5 DHF 3c front, 2.5 DHF DC rear, or 2.6 Rekons front and rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Just to echo the previous posts. I have been running 2.6 Rekon on the front for a full season, dual compound 60tpi and I have loved it in south east rooty rocky steep climbs and quick descents. It is a fast rolling tire especially for the traction that it gives. I just put a new Rekon up front and moved the 2.6 to the rear. And it basically feels like my previous 2.4 Ardent speed wise but with a little better traction. Was able to get up a slick rock climb that I hadn't been able to do with the Ardent on the back. I definitely agree about the 60tpi being more durable. Also I don't run crazy low pressures, maybe 18-19 up front and 20-21 out back on 30mm rims. No flats so far. And I think not running really low pressures keeps it a little quicker and less prone to pinch flats. There are faster tires and tires that grip better. It's all a compromise and the Rekons are very good all around trail tire for me.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Spur11 View Post
    Just to echo the previous posts. I have been running 2.6 Rekon on the front for a full season, dual compound 60tpi and I have loved it in south east rooty rocky steep climbs and quick descents. It is a fast rolling tire especially for the traction that it gives. I just put a new Rekon up front and moved the 2.6 to the rear. And it basically feels like my previous 2.4 Ardent speed wise but with a little better traction. Was able to get up a slick rock climb that I hadn't been able to do with the Ardent on the back. I definitely agree about the 60tpi being more durable. Also I don't run crazy low pressures, maybe 18-19 up front and 20-21 out back on 30mm rims. No flats so far. And I think not running really low pressures keeps it a little quicker and less prone to pinch flats. There are faster tires and tires that grip better. It's all a compromise and the Rekons are very good all around trail tire for me.
    Super helpful. Thanks. You are running a 3c front and DC rear, correct?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I actually have DC front and rear. I know the consensus is 3c up front but I haven't had any traction or durability issues so just stuck with dc. There is a theory that dc is a little faster roller than the 3c version. But going 3c up front and dc out back would probably be a great choice.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Spur11 View Post
    I actually have DC front and rear. I know the consensus is 3c up front but I haven't had any traction or durability issues so just stuck with dc. There is a theory that dc is a little faster roller than the 3c version. But going 3c up front and dc out back would probably be a great choice.
    I like 3C up front, but I have had some crashes from my front tire washing out in loose over hard. I am a little gun shy at times and having 3C at least gives me a bit of confidence, even if it is a placebo.

Which leads me to ask - no issues with front tire wash outs with the Rekon? Have you run a DHF in the front in the past? If so, how would you compare the Rekon in terms of grip. And yeah - I know - can't have everything. If I want a DHF, buy a DHF. The Rekons are very tempting, and readily available to me (i.e., at my LBS waiting to be mounted if I want).

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Spent a little time on DHF. It has great traction. But I do feel the weight of it. I don't lean the Rekon like a DHF but I haven't had any washouts. I did with an Ardent up front. I like an overall fairly fast grippy trail tire and I know there is some compromise with grip with a Rekon versus a DHF, but its been a great all rounder for me. Some people hate it and will run nothing but a DHF on front. Everybody is different. But you might give one in 3c compound a shot and see what you think.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Currently running a 2.6 Rekon and DHF (both in 3C) on the front of my bikes here in Phoenix where it's super dry and rocky. The Rekon does not have the ultimate grip and braking of a DHF but holds it's own very well and I rail it pretty good in the jank. No scary surprise washouts or other BS, just have to realize it has it's limits. Fits my aggressive hardtail build while keeping weight and rolling resistance down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I can offer my feedback as a less experienced rider in the Front Range. 3 years and a few enduros under my belt. Iím not a hard charger, but I do like to ride fast. Enjoy the ups *almost as much as the downs.

I replaced my front DHF 2.5 3C for this winter with a DC Rekon 2.6 just because I got it dirt cheap. The difference, whether it was rolling resistance or weight, was very much noticeable (around 18psi). The bike just feels so much more playful and fun to ride. I do notice a slight loss of bite, but nothing Iím super concerned with. In fact, I have set several new dh PRs.

I think as a more novice rider, this made me realize there is greater ROI for me to be had right now by keeping it fun, focusing on being smooth and keeping flow. I wasnít using the full benefit of a DHF and Iím getting more out of the Recon rolling faster, weighing less, and offering a more forgiving side transition.

Again, ymmv, this is my impression as a mediocre front range rider. Next spring, I will likely try a more ďaggressiveĒ tire again.
    Last edited by jasonp22; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:32 PM. Reason: Clarification

mtbr member
    Iíve been running the 2.6 and 2.4 Rekon EXO DC front and rear this fall and love the combo. I also run the DHF/ DHR 2.5/ 2.3 EXO 3C on my Following. Iím thinking of buying the 2.6 3C Rekon for the front and run it with either the 2.4 or 2.6 DC in the rear. Itís a good all round tire.

Function in disaster, finish in style.
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonp22 View Post
    I can offer my feedback as a less experienced rider in the Front Range. 3 years and a few enduros under my belt. Iím not a hard charger, but I do like to ride fast. Enjoy the ups *almost as much as the downs.

I replaced my front DHF 2.5 3C for this winter with a DC Rekon 2.6 just because I got it dirt cheap. The difference, whether it was rolling resistance or weight, was very much noticeable (around 18psi). The bike just feels so much more playful and fun to ride. I do notice a slight loss of bite, but nothing Iím super concerned with. In fact, I have set several new dh PRs.

I think as a more novice rider, this made me realize there is greater ROI for me to be had right now by keeping it fun, focusing on being smooth and keeping flow. I wasnít using the full benefit of a DHF and Iím getting more out of the Recon rolling faster, weighing less, and offering a more forgiving side transition.

Again, ymmv, this is my impression as a mediocre front range rider. Next spring, I will likely try a more ďaggressiveĒ tire again.
    Thank you for your comments.

Thanks to all of you. These are really great comments.

I may just buy a pair of 2.5 DHFs and a pair of 2.6 Rekons, 3C and DC front and rear for both.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:20 PM.