Assaigai on roots and rocks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Assaigai on roots and rocks?

Does assaigai grip well on wet roots and rocks?
    Is it better than DHF2?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yes

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yes, much.

Nat
    mtbr member
    There's a DHF2? I wanna try!

Hitching a ride
    I hear it's better than the DHR3.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I hear it's better than the DHR3.
    don't be a wise ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    is assaigai more sticky than Hans damf? I notice Hans damf has tons of traction.

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    is assaigai more sticky than Hans damf? I notice Hans damf has tons of traction.

I have not ridden the HD2, but have ridden many Schwalbe's including BigBetty, MuddyMary, NobbyNic, RockRazor, HansDampf1 and MagicMary and the Ass-guy outgrips them all. On the DH bike I currently have an Assagai front and DHR2 rear and the front grip is absolutely tenacious on natural trails. On clay hardpack, there is more grip than you could use, but I do feel the odd squirm when hitting a hard fast berm, it is subtle enough that it does not alarm you, but you can feel it at about the same level or maybe a touch more that the DHR2 squirms in the same conditions. (Note that I am 220 or so ready to ride)

There are tires that grip better in certain conditions, (ie Michi WildRockR2 on hardpack, same levels of grip but no squirm and a bit faster) but so far in my experience the Ass-guy has the best overall grip on multiple / various surface types.

It comes down to what do you ride the most. If mostly hardpack flow trails, look elsewhere, but if you like to play on the natural stuff with the odd trip down the hard smooth stuff then the Assagai would be at the top of the list.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Off camber sections the assgai is certainly better than the magic marry. In another month or two I'll be able to compare slimy roots. Right now its battling moondust & winning.

Assgai DH 3G
    Mag Mar SG vertstar

mtbr member
    I wish to hell they would make this in a 2.30.
    AreBee

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    I wish to hell they would make this in a 2.30.
    They do.

Perpetual Hack
    They do.
    Nope Ass-guy is only in 2.50 for Beez and 9rz.

The do come in Exo, Exo+, DD and DH for casing and Dual, MT and MG for rubber.

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-568-140-assegai
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Hitching a ride
    The "2.5" is 2.3in wide.

Checkmate.

Perpetual Hack
    The "2.5" is 2.3in wide.

Checkmate.
    Assegai 29x2.5 MaxxGrip / DH casing

Casing = 2.350
    Tread = 2.530

Do you even know how to play this game?

Your checkmate has been ruled illegal and you have been removed from this competition. We do however enjoin you to try again next year.
    Last edited by mykel; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:33 AM. Reason: Update
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Hitching a ride
    Knob outer width doesn't matter unless you have a frame rubbing problem. Casing size, 2.35 on the widest rim it can take without being squared off. Schulze still is correct, as usual.

Perpetual Hack
    It is listed as a 2.5, and it measures out at just over 2.5 so it is what it says on the tin. *

* - I see no asterisk denoting this tire as a special case where you ignore the knob measurement.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Hitching a ride
    The casing measurement is important because casing tension is directly proportional to the diameter of the tire. That affects how much pressure you use, which is directly proportional to ground pressure. The edge of the knob doesn't even touch the ground unless it's a rare extreme lean angle. I've never even seen a tire that wore the outside of the side knobs. You could shave .1in from the outside of the knob and suffer no consequences.

Perpetual Hack
    The casing measurement is important because casing tension is directly proportional to the diameter of the tire. That affects how much pressure you use, which is directly proportional to ground pressure. The edge of the knob doesn't even touch the ground unless it's a rare extreme lean angle. I've never even seen a tire that wore the outside of the side knobs. You could shave .1in from the outside of the knob and suffer no consequences.

Which is a different argument you need to take up with the manufacturers and any overseeing body ( ETRTO etc) as to how they measure a tire. Until they put out some standards we are left with what we have. Some are case and tread even, some are case fat and some like the Ass-guy are tread wide. That then opens up a whole other can of worms as how do you define what width a tire is, we would end up with two measurements, one at tread and one at casing like WTB's GMS. Accurate tread would be needed by mfg's to define clearance, and the other for the lovers of Boyle's law who get out the slide-rule when figuring out pressures. That does not even get into what people prefer, ie rocky areas want sidewall casing protection, so protruding knobs is a good thing, others in sandier places may prefer a larger carcass...

I grant you that the way it is now is a mess. As it is, I would just be happy if the stated size matched the actual max width a bit closer like ETRTO does, or is supposed to, or just scrap it altogether and deal with an accurate ETRTO or better yet a WTB style 2 number system, that is measured at a set pressure on a standard width rim after a set stretch period.

For what it's worth, the Ass-guy's ETRTO width is 63mm which is 2.480", so the tire (at least the one on my DH bike) is actually oversized by 1.25 mm.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Hitching a ride
    I have a 2.6 XR5 that is 2.6" at the casing and other riders are like, Whoa, that tire's huge! And then I reply, "No it's as advertised. You've just been abused by Maxxis for too long." All my Vittoria, Schwalbe, and WTB trail tires are as advertised at the casing. Spec and Maxxis are still bs-ing people.

Perpetual Hack
    I have a 2.6 XR5 that is 2.6" at the casing and other riders are like, Whoa, that tire's huge! And then I reply, "No it's as advertised. You've just been abused by Maxxis for too long." All my Vittoria, Schwalbe, and WTB trail tires are as advertised at the casing. Spec and Maxxis are still bs-ing people.
    I agree.
    Nothing worse than an OG 26" Maxxis. 2.5 Maxxis DHF is being a bit funky with the sizing. It's ETRTO is 55, which is like 2.15 and the 2.3 is 52 or 2.05
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Maxxis cult follower
    don't be a wise ass.

Hey at least we have a pro here that talks to us normally, I appreciate that. He could be arrogant and not talk to the lower caste, but he takes time out of his schedule to interact with us lesser mortals on a positive level, more than I can say for some of them.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

Maxxis cult follower
    The "2.5" is 2.3in wide.

Checkmate.

lol

Both of my 2.8 tires measure 2.60 knobs, 2.40 casing

Two of three 2.4 tires measure 2.20 knobs, 2.00 casing, the third tire is non-TR from an off-brand and ironically it measures 2.40 inches wide and about 2.35 casing, go figure.

If it matters to anyone my 2.5 DHF measures 2.45 inches on a very skinny 19mm internal rim, which is strange on a theoretical level. You'd think it would be 2.2 but it kept its shape. Casing is only 2.15 inches wide. What does that mean? The side knobs are so far out from the casing that it's like having training wheels on the back lol. Very, very stable at 12-16 mph speed compared to other tires. I love it. Now, would I recommend taking a corner at 25 mph with this tire and rim? Maybe not. However, because the casing is only 2.15 inches, the tire to rim ratio is still under 3.0. Never, ever had a problem with this tire, 1500+ miles and still rolling.

In my extremely humble opinion, real width for performance purposes should be measured by tire side knobs, and tire to rim ratio by casing. Because the casing tends to be less wide than the side knobs, and the whole tire usually measures less than advertised, then all of this angst and anxiety about the perfect tire to rim ratio is way overblown. To the point that it probably causes more problems than it solves.

Maxxis cult follower
    deleted duplicate

Hitching a ride
    There should be two numbers - knob width and casing width. Casing width affects casing tension, and knob width affects fitment in the frame. You really need to know both. I like how Conti has started publishing a range of rim widths for the tire. That's also good to know because of the tread shape issue. Nobody likes to drop $40-80 and end up experimenting.

Perpetual Hack
    WTB still use their GMS system. It is listed in their 2019 catalogue.
    I have no idea if they have updated it or what rim width it is based upon now.

Trailboss - 29x2.4 TCS light / ETRTO 55-622 / GMS 59/61 / Recommended rim width i25-i35

55 = 2.165
    59 = 2.322
    61 = 2.401

I too would like to see mfg's adopt a more real world applicable model, but if WTB brought this out in the late 90's and it has gone nowhere what are the chances of it or something similar being adopted anytime soon?
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Hitching a ride
    The more we bitch, the more we can accomplish.

Got rocks?
    I find the HD2 is a great tire in rocks and harder trails. It starts to lack when things get softer. I am anxious to try my assegai as I like front tires that donít have much of a channel when leaning over. Iíll report back when I try it. All my riding is on dry rocks tho and lots of off camber single tracks all natural.