Assagai vs dhf- Mtbr.com

Thread: Assagai vs dhf

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Assagai vs dhf

Anyone have any back to back experience with the two? How do they compare for grip and speed?

needing a new front tire and may stray from a vigilante to venture out with these. Most likely pair with an aggressor or dhr2

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Depends on the compound. Maxxgripp I prefer the Assegai slick and off camber stuff this tire wins hands down. Maxxterra sucks in this environment but is good on hard pack and loose over hard. The knobs on DHF squirm less. But you might want an HR2 in this environment. What terrain do you ride in? Are you good at comminting to leaning over the bike?

Moderator Moderator
    If it's soft and loamy, or muddy, the DHF would be my choice. It's also a great tire pretty much everywhere, but you have to commit to leaning the bike over and getting past the knob gap. Cornering on those outside knobs is a treat, but will drift a little on loose over hard until you get there. I've been on DHF up front for years, a fantastic tire.

Got a Assagai a couple of months ago and it's got gobs of traction in loose over hard and on rocks. Packs up more in mud. Unlike the DHF, it's a mindless tire, it doesn't care if you're leaned over or not. In some ways that makes it less fun? Anyway, another fantastic tire.

Both are 3C EXO.

I can't really compare rolling resistance since they're up front and I don't care that much. I mainly focus on traction.

Pick the tool for the job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Depends on the compound. Maxxgripp I prefer the Assegai slick and off camber stuff this tire wins hands down. Maxxterra sucks in this environment but is good on hard pack and loose over hard. The knobs on DHF squirm less. But you might want an HR2 in this environment. What terrain do you ride in? Are you good at comminting to leaning over the bike?

Yeah I feel like I can corner quite well so leaning the bike over is fine.

Most miles are hard or loose over hard, then the remainder is straight loose af and loamy.

Iíve used hr2 before and donít like how square it is on the hard pack. and I feel like itís pretty slow fires.

Keep on Rockin...
    Run them both a lot on my DH rig. The Asg has more grip - escpecially when laying on the front brake. I think next season I'll run the Asg up front and a DHF out back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I like this combo & pedal it up the Mtn. Have the Assegai DH up front & DHF EXO+ in the rear. I honestly feel like the DHF is less likely to slide out in the rear when it breaks loose while leaned.

I have had the DHR step out on me a few times.

I'm with stupid
    I have both of these and have ridden both back to back. The jusry is still out for me. I have been on the DHF so long that I know exactly what it is going to do. Not so much with the assegai yet so moar riding fun trails is needed to decide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Run them both a lot on my DH rig. The Asg has more grip - escpecially when laying on the front brake. I think next season I'll run the Asg up front and a DHF out back.
    I think this is going to be my next set up. Since the DHF can be had in DD for the 29er.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Maybe itís just an optical illusion (I donít have calipers) but the 2.5Ē DHF looks more voluminous than the 2.5Ē Assegai. Can anyone confirm?

When I first got the Assegai I thought I liked the DHF better but now that Iíve been on the Assegai for several months it feels good. Iíd like to ride them back to back for a comparison but I donít want to go through the hassle of swapping them out.

Moderator Moderator
    I think this is going to be my next set up. Since the DHF can be had in DD for the 29er.
    I love the DHF on the rear, IME it rolls far better than most people think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I love the DHF on the rear, IME it rolls far better than most people think.
    This is what I am running right now on my Strive in the back (29X2.60WT Foldable Bead 60TPI Dual Compound EXO/TR (Mountain)). Only have done one ride on it so far but liked how it felt in slightly sloppy conditions. FYI, on an i30 it measures at exactly 2.5 so its 0.1 under stated width.
    Strive CF 8 / Farley EX 8
    2020 Dry January 2020 (success!)
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

mtbr member
    Had the dhf, now the assegai. Assegai has better grip on loose dry dirt and rocks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Maybe itís just an optical illusion (I donít have calipers) but the 2.5Ē DHF looks more voluminous than the 2.5Ē Assegai. Can anyone confirm?

To my eyes, with the DH casing versions, both seem to be equally plump.

Rocks belong
    Maxxterra sucks in this environment but is good on hard pack and loose over hard. The knobs on DHF squirm less. But you might want an HR2 in this environment.
    Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the HR2 3C MaxxTerra is good in (super) loose (ie: sandy & gravely) over concrete hard (ie: Arizona and New Mexico). I got a 2.5WT HR2 MaxxTerra on trade and figured I'd try it for S&G's... turns out I really like it for desert riding.

I've got an EXO MaxxTerra Assegai to try when the current HR2 wears out up front, but I'm in no hurry to swap it out.
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 12-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the HR2 3C MaxxTerra is good in (super) loose (ie: sandy & gravely) over concrete hard (ie: Arizona and New Mexico). I got a 2.5WT HR2 MaxxTerra on trade and figured I'd try it for S&G's... turns out I really like it for desert riding.

I've got an EXO MaxxTerra Assegai to try when the current HR2 wears out up front, but I'm in no hurry to swap it out.
    I ride az and cali trails, assegai has more grip that the dhf imo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I have been on the DHF so long that I know exactly what it is going to do.
    On that note... it seems too many nerds are chasing some elusive mechanical advantage instead of just keeping things consistent and learning to ride better.

Just a thought. Carry on.

Got rocks?

Assagai vs dhf

I ran dhf for several years on a couple bikes. It is a great tire but I found on off camber trails it would wash out and not hold. Tried several other tires and on a assegai right now and it is amazing! Granted Iím a trail guy not DH it does great in any of the trails I ride and donít have the washout problem on side hills the DHF has.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    On that note... it seems too many nerds are chasing some elusive mechanical advantage instead of just keeping things consistent and learning to ride better.

Just a thought. Carry on.
    I bet a lot of people do both.