mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Appropriate Wheelset for a Midnight Special Build

Iím building a Surly Midnight Special frame, a fast fun, kush road bike that I commute with in NYC and will take on occasional long rides.
    Itís very difficult to find an appropriate wheelset for this new road standard, ie: 650b with 12mm thru axles front and rear. Options are limited.
    Some info about the build:
    Shimano 105 grouppo, Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 27.5 x 2.0Ē tires. Built to be fast and eventually would like to do long tours with a more minimal setup/bikepacking bags to be able to cover longer distances. Perhaps week long tours and eventually I dream of a cross country trip over the course of many months.

Iíve narrowed down my search to these two sets, and what it comes down to is which price bracket Iíd really like to be in since theyíre so far apart.

The more expensive set would be:
    Industry Nine ULCX235 TRA 650B - found for $1020 shipped front and rear on Jenson.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Industry-N...RA-650B-Wheels

The budget set would be:
    Hunt Adventure Sport Disc 650b - $420 shipped for the set
    https://www.huntbikewheels.com/colle...-24deep-25wide

Iím leaning towards the Hunts because I canít decide if the better 6 degree engagement hubs and 250g lighter build of the i9ís is worth an extra $600.

Iíve heard in many circles that the wheels are where you should put your money though, that changes the ride characteristics the most. Iíve certainly been cheap about parts in the past and regretted it later, so if itís worth the extra investment Iíll go for the i9ís to have the nice hubs and lightweight setup.

Also they have proprietary aluminum spokes and an abnormal lacing pattern which may be a problem for touring. Iíd of course bring extra spokes so I donít think itís the end of the world, especially with a strong, well designed wheel like an i9; but the hunts have standard J spokes which would probably be more road serviceable.
    Again, touring isnít my primary use for this bike, I mostly want something strong and lightweight, but I want to invest in something that would be ready for a tour, so thatís a consideration.

Open to thoughts and suggestions... thanks!

turtles make me hot
    I commute in NYC with a Dahon folding bike. I built wheels for it after ruining the wheels that came on the bike. I built 20" Velocity Cliffhangers laced to a Bike Hub Store rear hub and a Phil Wood front hub because of the goofy Dahon 74mm fork. I have Schwalbe Marathons on the bike. The wheels are bomb proof and I would recommend them for your bike as well.
    Velocity makes the Cliffhanger in 650b. Bike Hub Store sells hubs with 12mm axles. It's a match made in heaven. I'm actually going to be doing a set of these for my Krampus in 29" for Surly Extraterrestrial tires.
    I like turtles

mtbpete
    250g is not necessarily a lot of weight, but when you're trying to lighten up your bike every place adds up. Durable and reliable wheels generally are more expensive, but you don't necessarily have to spend $1000.