Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster? - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    He said he cut his in the actual tread, not on the casing (sidewall), which is something I wondered about with how spaced the knobs are, but I haven't had this issue yet on our coral or on a 4 day trip to CO, but hence why I am hoping for it to also be released in the DD casing option which would take it up to about 900g and build like a tank.

I can tell you all that, especially if it's the 3C version - MUCH SLOWER rolling, grip wise, depends on the conditions, definitely should find more confidence in/on the wet
    I have the DC/EXO/TR version F&R and have 3 rides on them. I can't tell any difference in rolling, as my geared up 220lbs doesn't care one way or the other, and in my terrain I can go 100' of hard pack, then 100' of rocks/marbles/kitty litter over hard pack and then 100' of sand...... and I repeat that for 10-15 miles.

As for grip, that's also hard to tell in my loose over hard terrain as I don't push the envelope like I once did.... I will say that grip isn't any worse, but the Forekasters were damn good for me too.

The main difference that can be seen and felt is the stronger sidewall/casing of the HR2, and I'm guessing that has to do with it being 60 TPI compared to the FK's 120? I was able to drop 2psi in each tire to 25/28 with the same contact bubble and overall feel..... I'll kill these and then decide if I'm going to keep them or go back to the FKs.

MCMXCV
    Well, I went back to Forekasters front and rear. I just didn't like the transition of the HR2s for the way, and the where I ride........ Too sketchy between upright and leaned over.

My buddy bought the HR2s and I went back to what I know works. I went almost 600 miles on my first set without any cuts whatsoever, so I'm hoping the cut in the 2nd set was just bad luck.

Anyway, still the best feeling tire that I have ridden in my terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Are you planning on running a bigger tire like. Dhf in the front or does the forekaster provide enough cornering and braking grip?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Are you planning on running a bigger tire like. Dhf in the front or does the forekaster provide enough cornering and braking grip?

For me, the FK is a better front tire than the HR2 was and is all I need.

No good in rock gardens..
    Mounted a 27.5x2.35 Forekaster on my 29mm I/W front Roval today.

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-fk.jpg

Ardent Race 2.2 on the rear.

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-ar.jpg

Only have 20km on this pairing so far, today. Will re-measure tomorrow.

Initial impressions over dry, hard trails with a fair bit of loose rock, silt and all kinds of fine rock pieces was that it's not a tyre where I said "WOW!" on the corners like the High Roller for example. But it just quietly did its thing with no fanfare and never felt squirrelly or "off edge" like I've found the Ardent can.

Riding it again tomorrow and will try to let it rip a little more on some faster open trails.
    Last edited by Sideknob; 12-29-2016 at 03:33 AM.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    AR 2.2 is a stellar tyre for rear duties on most trail fare, apart from full on mud.

Got two mates running FK's... Both should be riding with me on some really rocky, gnarly terrain over the Xmas break.

Will see how they hold up before I go splashing out on new shoes.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Your Best Friend
    I've been running a Forecaster on the rear of my 29er in SW Utah for a couple of months now. I like the tread and it seems quick, no sluggishness. I'm debating buying a new one but I have several issues. I got a large puncture in between the tread in the first week. I plugged it. Had to add a second plug in the same spot, a few days later. All has been fine since. The tread itself is already unacceptably worn. On slick rock, off camber climbs, the side knobs fold and the tire slides sideways off the rock. Very disconcerting.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    On slick rock, off camber climbs, the side knobs fold and the tire slides sideways off the rock. Very disconcerting.
    I am getting the same slight feeling of the side knobs folding on off camber climbs, and off camber anything really. I don't rail, I just ride, but yes it is disconcerting. I added 2 psi and it seemed to help but still not completely.

At this point I am not sure if I will keep the FK on or throw something else on that I have piled up in my garage. I am a Maxxis fan, have tried most of their options, and all I want is to not washout the front, and not have to push an anchor up hills. So maybe dhr2 dual compound 2.3. Or maybe I should stay off the internet and go ride more and get better at line choice and technique.

edit: I am on Crest wheels that are 21mm internal, FK 2.35 27.5

mtbr member
    Get some wheels built with rims that aren't reminiscent of a wet noodle Seriously Crest are for racer boys looking for the absolutely lightest setup, stiffness not being a concern, even if you only weigh 160lbs they're not stiff enough if you're looking to tyres like the DHR2 etc. You should try the FK on a rim with a 25-30mm internal width and sufficient stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by ljcap View Post
    I am getting the same slight feeling of the side knobs folding on off camber climbs, and off camber anything really. I don't rail, I just ride, but yes it is disconcerting. I added 2 psi and it seemed to help but still not completely.

At this point I am not sure if I will keep the FK on or throw something else on that I have piled up in my garage. I am a Maxxis fan, have tried most of their options, and all I want is to not washout the front, and not have to push an anchor up hills. So maybe dhr2 dual compound 2.3. Or maybe I should stay off the internet and go ride more and get better at line choice and technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Your Best Friend
    I'm on Enve's.

MCMXCV

How much psi are you running? You may be feeling the tire squirming/folding due to low psi and your narrow rim.

I'm 225lb all geared up and run 26/29 psi on Stan's Flow MK3s and have never felt the side knobs "folding"...... Before the Flows, I had a Race Face Aeffect wheelset with a 23mm internal width and I ran 29/31 (tubeless) and never had an issue either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Washing out is mostly about technique. Tires can only help so much. I use to wash out when I started. Body position is important when weighting your front when its needed as well as bike to body separation. Not applying front brakes in a turn and scrub the speed before entering a turn. These are some of the things which have helped me and I hope it helps you. Other things which cant always be helped in turning into a loose soft shoulder. Yup did that a few times. Flat pedals also goves me more confidence and a few times it saved me by letting me dab quickly. Washing out sucks, especially when you land on your hip bone. Tires do help if you must have every advantage in cornering. Maxxis minions like the dhf and dhr have large supported side knobs and nothing compares. They are a bit heavy for trail riding but your legs will get stronger and the improvement in traction and braking gives you loads of confidence when you point your bike downwards.

Your Best Friend
    We're not talking about washing out. Thanks though. The side knobs fold over or break loose in off camber soil or especially slick rock.

Cactus Cuddler
    We're not talking about washing out. Thanks though. The side knobs fold over or break loose in off camber soil or especially slick rock.
    There are some areas where for me (loose over hardpack, mostly the kitty litter-like decomposed granite over conrete-like packed dirt) where tires will wash briefly, but when they hook up it's kinda violent and the knob support makes the difference on whether or not they get purchase, flex the casing, but get me turning, or if they fold under and just create this strange wash->slide->gone chain where I can feel that grip is there, but I'm not getting actually hooked up and turned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    How much psi are you running? You may be feeling the tire squirming/folding due to low psi and your narrow rim.

I'm 225lb all geared up and run 26/29 psi on Stan's Flow MK3s and have never felt the side knobs "folding"...... Before the Flows, I had a Race Face Aeffect wheelset with a 23mm internal width and I ran 29/31 (tubeless) and never had an issue either.
    Was at 16 then bumped it to 18, tubeless, I'm at 160lbs.

lynx, tires are a lot cheaper than wheels, and I have ran the dhr2 2.3 on these wheels, for a few rides, and at only 110 grams heavier than the FK I have always liked the concept, and lots of riders on the forum like them.

silentfoe, I only mentioned washout because it's my own personal worse case scenario.

jackson, thanks, yep I'm on flats, only tried clipless for a little while but like the safe feeling of being able to get out of the pedal.

MCMXCV
    Was at 16 then bumped it to 18, tubeless, I'm at 160lbs
    Per Stan's recommendations you should be at 22/25

Rider Weight in pounds divided by 7 = x
    x - 1 = Front tire pressure in PSI
    x + 2 = Rear tire pressure in PSI

MTB tires were never meant to be ridden damn near flat.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

I find that formula works well if I subtract 10psi from the result.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

I keep forgetting about Stans formula. Gonna try it next ride. I have a 2.2 ikon out back that I was running at 21...

Your Best Friend
    That formula is pointless. So far off from where I ride, with any tire or rim. I'm sure it's off for most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    That formula is pointless. So far off from where I ride, with any tire or rim. I'm sure it's off for most people.
    Off how? Too high?

I am sure tire gauges/pumps vary also, I have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport II floor pump.

Also this is the 1st 120tpi tire I have had on the front so that could possibly be some of what I perceive as the tread 'folding', for me anyway. Who knows....I haven't actually seen the what the tread is doing, just a feeling, and I have seen no damage to the side knobs.

It's funny how on my last couple rides, I have had that folding feeling in that tire, and then I see some similar posts on the forum, so I thought I would chime in.

Your Best Friend
    Way high. I've been riding tubeless for a decade plus and used many pumps. Psi differences aren't the issue. No one tubeless should be over 30 psi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I dont see how a formula can be exact when you have so many casing thicknesses and rim widths and we all ride different terrains and at different skill levels. It seems like a good starting pt for someone just starting out

mtbr member
    I agree it's mostly pointless but coincidentally it's near exactly what I run (tubeless). ~165# and if I go much less than 25psi I have to tread lightly or else I get rim strikes.
    I brake for stinkbugs

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I agree it's mostly pointless but coincidentally it's near exactly what I run (tubeless). ~165# and if I go much less than 25psi I have to tread lightly or else I get rim strikes.
    Yep, exactly.... When done right, rim strikes don't happen. Leave the flat tires for the rock crawlers.

mtbr member
    ^ Agreed. Stupid formulas like what's mentioned above are for noobs that don't know any better. There are too many variable to make any sense of a recommended formula.
    If anyone is riding these FK lower than 21-22 psi your kidding yourself. Side knobs rolling over, of course they will at sub 20 psi pressures. They have tiny side knobs compared to Minions so it's not fair to compared them. The FK is a XC type tire very similar the the Schwalbe NN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Function in disaster, finish in style.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Does the rocket ron fall in the same category?

Your Best Friend
    No, the rocket ron is a lightweight race tire

mtbr member
    150# on 23.5 id rims. Been running the fk at 20psi rear and vigilante at 17psi front. Ohio leafy fall weather and they have been working great.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

Rim is too narrow. The feeling isn't just the side knobs folding, it's the tire nearly being pulled off the rim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Rim is too narrow. The feeling isn't just the side knobs folding, it's the tire nearly being pulled off the rim.
    Actually no it's not. I have about 1000 miles on these wheels and this is the only tire that gives me this feeling. Rocks, small boulders, roots, loose over hard, loose, in the AZ desert. Never burped a tire, never had a rim strike, as far as I know. (edit: at my riding style...)

The other tires I have used have all been 60tpi.
    Last edited by ljcap; 12-19-2016 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Does the rocket ron fall in the same category?

They are night and day different, at least as a front tire. I had ridden/raced all season on 2.25 x 27.5 RR, wanted more traction for Fall/winter and went 2.35 FK on the front. 200 grams heavier, but way more cornering traction and off-camber wet, rooty sidehills are amazing with the FK - 150 lbs. 23 id rim, 20 psi.
    The negative with the FK is its a low volume narrow tire - not even close to 2.35". It measures exactly the same as the RR = 2.25"

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You probably dont feel the difference with an additional 200g in the front tire

mtbr member
    OK, I've sipped on the Kool Aid & have got a 2.35 Forekaster on route ^^

Will run it up front for Summer trails & out back come Fall/Winter/Spring.

Q: How does it go up front on dry, rocky terrain?

Your Best Friend
    It does well.

mtbr member
    Another data point for anyone trying to figure out pressures:

155 pounds
    Rigid SS
    Lezyne Dirt Drive Pump with Gauge
    Rims = 26mm internal
    Front 22-24 psi (Low end for smooth trails, upper end for rockier trails)
    Rear 24-26 psi

I'll occasionally get rim strikes at these pressures, but it's usually only when I miss a line.

2 or 3 pounds below those pressures, and I can start to feel the tires rolling over in corners.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Love the Forecaster. Run it in the Arizona desert at 21psi front on 35mm carbon rim.185 pounds geared up.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    Love the Forecaster. Run it in the Arizona desert at 21psi front on 35mm carbon rim.185 pounds geared up.
    I am so glad to hear this. Do you mind sharing where you ride most in AZ? This tire is on my list, but I was concerned how it would perform on loose over hard pack. (Browns, Deems, Sonoran Preserve)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    SoMo and Hawes. Hawes dirt is similar to Browns. Works great on loose over hard and rolls pretty decent.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    SoMo and Hawes. Hawes dirt is similar to Browns. Works great on loose over hard and rolls pretty decent.
    And sorry, you running it front and rear? Thanks for the beta. I live in Cave Creek but am very familiar with Hawes and the dirt, yes very similar to my regular rides.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just front, Ikon on the rear

Got a few rides on mine, 27.5x2.35 on the front of my new Stumpjumper. Set up tubeless, no idea of pressure sorry, but it's not likely relevant to others anyway.

Seems like a stable, easy steering tyre without that real edgy feeling bite like a High Roller that some love and some hate.

The tyre hasn't gotten upset by loose silt and kitty litter over baked clay and feels stable and predictable. I like it.

It's dry as a desert on my trails right now and with a lot of the above mentioned surfaces. I may try a 2.2 on the rear later on.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Just FYI to anyone interested in running this as a rear tire. I'm 200#s on a 2016 SW Camber 29 with 30mm ID rims. I'm running the 2.35" FK at 21 psi in the rear with a 2.5" Minon DHF in the front at 19 psi. Much better rolling resistance than the other Minon I had on the back and significantly better traction than the 2.4" Ardent I was running before the Minon. So long as this tire holds up I plan to keep this setup going all winter and perhaps into the spring/summer.

NOTE: For those who commented on the treads feeling like they were rolling underneath themselves (not tire squirm due to low pressure but something different going on) I felt this too in my initial rides. I had this issue when I was at 24 psi but since I have now lowered to 21 psi and the FK is behaving great and there have been absolutely no rim strikes (could probably go lower in psi but as of now I have no need to do so).

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    19 psi is low for 200lbs. I couldn't go below 22psi for my dhr wt 2.4 60tpi. Sounds like it has a nice thick casing

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Have about 550 miles on my Forekasters now. Did a Christmas day ride, and punctured the front tire in between knobs, and ended up plugging it (its worth mentioning that I had a very healthy amount of Orange Seal in it)..

I'm running them front and rear. So far this has been my favorite tire to date. Before that puncture I've had zero issues, and for what it's worth one of the guys riding with me punctured his BRAND new Minion DHF in between tread lugs (riding the ledges at the back 40 in Bella Vista, AR. The trail is an absolute massacre for tires, i personally know at least 8 people who have completely destroyed tires riding it).

I have been considering trying a more burly tire like the Minion or a HRII, but for my riding style and bike (Yeti SB4.5c) the Forekaster really seems to fit the bill. The AR 2.35 does catch my attention, and I very well may go to it for summer riding as a faster rolling rear tire, with the FK up front still.

My rear tire is looking somewhat worn, but definitely still has life left in it. I'm thinking it will see 700 miles before i change it, but most people would probably run it far longer as I'm picky about any noticeable wear on my equipment. I have decided that I will probably order in another set to have as spares for when it comes time to put new rubber on the Yeti. These are great tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    wow, people love this tire, and love to write about it. from what i can gather, it is a racing tire, a burly racing tire, but definitely marketed as an xc racing tire. are people impressed with it's weight and rolling resistance compared to its stable mates ie. ikon 2.35, beaver 2.25 (i'm just wearing through the beav on the rear, it's been great) with which it should compete directly (both wet weather specialists). it would be on the thin side for my local trails which are well served by the minion twins but they look like lightweight climbing fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Inner rim width contributes to how much performance you can get out of the tire. 35mm inner down to 30 should be the better range to avoid sidewall foldover at lower pressure points. And you get more traction because you're creating a bigger contact area with the lower pressure you can run on wider rims. Going wider may lead to grabbiness from squaring off the outer tread based on how rounded the tread profile is.

mtbr member
    Got mine ^^

Popping up front tomorrow morning =)

Paired with an Ardent Race 2.2 out back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    How would the FK compare to a 2.4 Ardent as a rear tire? Planning on running one of these with a DHR2 in front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For me the FK sounds good but it seems to be on the narrow side. I like very much the widht of the DHR II in 2.4 and what I read is that the FK is definitely much smaller? Any experience with both tires (just in regards to their width/volume)?

mtbr member
    There is no comparison, the Forekaster is actually a great tyre and does a lot of things well, the Ardent did not do anything really well, well it did have volume and that's the only difference you'd notice, the FK is a bit smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    How would the FK compare to a 2.4 Ardent as a rear tire? Planning on running one of these with a DHR2 in front.
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Got mine ^^

Popping up front tomorrow morning =)

Paired with an Ardent Race 2.2 out back.

A LOT of the pics earlier in the thread make the knobs look lower and the spaces between them much bigger. You sold me. I'm grabbing one off ebay right now. Will be paired with a trail boss 2.4 up front (which is too slow and edgy to run on the rear as well).
    Based on the measurements people are throwing out there, this appears to be on the same casing as the ikon 2.35 - so why the hell does maxxis charge so much more for the ikons?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A LOT of the pics earlier in the thread make the knobs look lower and the spaces between them much bigger. You sold me. I'm grabbing one off ebay right now. Will be paired with a trail boss 2.4 up front (which is too slow and edgy to run on the rear as well).
    Based on the measurements people are throwing out there, this appears to be on the same casing as the ikon 2.35 - so why the hell does maxxis charge so much more for the ikons?
    I would have to assume that you are wrong about it being the same casing. The 2.35 Ikon appears to have quite a bit more volume than the 2.35 Forekaster. But I could be wrong

mtbr member
    Not the same casing as the Ikon. Less volume on the FK. The Ikon costs more money because it uses Maxxis 3C triple compound. The FK is 120 TPI but not 3C. This tire does everything well. I have run two FK and also as a rear tire with a 2.4 WT DHR2 up front. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    DEFINITELY not the same casing, not in size and not in compound. I have a 2.4" Ardent and 2.35" Ikon as well as the 2.35" Forekaster and the Ikon & Ardent both use the same casing/are the same volume, whereas the Forekaster uses the same casing as the 2.3" DHF/DHR2.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Crap. This thing better be bigger than the aggressor 2.3 at least.

mtbr member
    Crap. This thing better be bigger than the aggressor 2.3 at least.
    A riding bud who owns a Carbon Remedy 29er....

Runs the FK out back, paired w/ the HRII 2.3 out front.

The FK looks noticeably bigger than the HRII.

Might actually chuck FK out back and compare it to my 2.35 NN up front.

NB, I do have an XR4 2.4 arriving any day now for front duties.

mtbr member

Here it is on bike pumped up @40psi.

It measures in at 57.74mm on 25.5 ID rim.

My NN 2.35 on same rim measures 59.76mm.

Once it stretches a bit I'll definitely need my new XR4 2.4 to maintain visual balance.

PS - riding impressions to come

mtbr member
    HR2 2.3" is noticeably smaller than the 2.3" DHF/DHR2 and FK.

A riding bud who owns a Carbon Remedy 29er....Runs the FK out back, paired w/ the HRII 2.3 out front. The FK looks noticeably bigger than the HRII.

mtbr member
    HR2 2.3" is noticeably smaller than the 2.3" DHF/DHR2 and FK.
    Really?

I've ridden HRII & DHRII on my (former) AM mule & I'd say they're about the same... give or take a millimetre.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

Got a couple rides at 22/25, definitely feels better than 18/21, rode some similar trails as I did at the lower pressures, but not exactly the same, so that could also affect my perceived results. I'm going to keep it here for a while.

No, formulas aren't the end all be all, and even Stan's website says it's a 'starting point'.

Topeak Joe Blow Sport II floor pump
    21mm internal Crests, FS 27.5
    160#
    FK 2.35 front, Ikon 2.2 rear

mtbr member
    My bad, keep forgetting I have the HR2s on my old Flow wheelset which only has an internal width of 22.5mm, my current wheelsets are all 29mm or more. Tried the HR2 on a i25 setup and did not like what it did to it's shape, so stuck them back on the narrower rims. Still though, looking at other guys bike who run the HR2 2.3" on 30mm internal rims they look smaller than the DHF/DHR2 2.3", need to measure them and see if my eyes are playing tricks.
    Really? I've ridden HRII & DHRII on my (former) AM mule & I'd say they're about the same... give or take a millimetre.

MCMXCV
    Got a couple rides at 22/25, definitely feels better than 18/21, rode some similar trails as I did at the lower pressures, but not exactly the same, so that could also affect my perceived results. I'm going to keep it here for a while.

No, formulas aren't the end all be all, and even Stan's website says it's a 'starting point'.
    Yep, get those tires pumped up to where they should be and it's a totally different ride.

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiwan View Post
    For me the FK sounds good but it seems to be on the narrow side. I like very much the widht of the DHR II in 2.4 and what I read is that the FK is definitely much smaller? Any experience with both tires (just in regards to their width/volume)?
    My new (to me) bike came kitted with a DHR2 WT up front (2.4) and Forekaster out back. I was originally under the assumption that I'd be instantly binning the FK to run a Slaughter out back, but the FK is actually a really good tire for this time of year out here. Good amount of braking knobs, rolling resistance on par with an Ardent, and the cornering knobs have enough suppleness that they're impressive. In summer (I ride dry hardpack in the desert southwest) I'll likely be moving to a Slaughter GRID or RockRazer SuperGravity, but I'll be running the FK for right now.

Volume is good (on 30mm IW rims) as is shape, there's some tangible knob wiggle on pavement and hardpack because they're taller knobs than my reference points out back (Ardent, Ikon, MinionSS), but this is seriously an overachieving tire, much like the Ardent Race. In all honesty, in Medium to Loamy XC conditions where tire volume is a plus, I wouldn't hesitate to run a Forekaster in front of an Ardent Race, both in 29x2.35 size (3C fast rolling AR, still has good cornering, the FK rolls well for how much grip is on offer, with excellent mud clearance). As a winter tire for out here, I'm seriously impressed, and since what I'll be replacing it with is a de-facto semislick, I'll just ride the setup I have right now until we get to the dry part of the year.

Anymore, I feel like the Ardent is the universal C student (with the 2.4 getting a B- everywhere), whereas the Forekaster, Ikon, Ardent Race, Minion DHF and DHR are all honor roll tires in EXO/TR/(3C) guise with 2.35-2.5" casings, and depending on the application any tire of interest needs to be compared against one of those four models from Maxxis to be justified as what to run.

mtbr member
    First ride on the FK tonight.

Very growly getting to the trail.

Rolling resistance was noticeable coming off an Ardent Race 2.2 out back on the same trails two days past.

When pointing down that resistance was greatly appreciated.

I'd say rolling resistance is up there with a Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.25.

Slightly more than say a DHRII as well.

Will likely run it as my Summer front tyre & out back for Winter fare.

For the $33 usd I paid for it, it'll definitely be a keeper.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Just got the one I ordered. Flattened out, it measures 5.75" edge to edge. I grabbed a used ikon 2.35 I have and it measures 6" edge to edge. Hoping the FK ends up close to that when it stretches a bit. Really like how the tread looks.

mtbr member
    Santa just brought my 27.5 2.35 FK in the mail! Impressed with the knobs and doesn't look too small. Going to mount tubeless on Easton Arc 30s paired with a 2.4 DHR II up front. Will let ya know how it goes..

mtbr member
    First ride on the FK tonight.

Very growly getting to the trail.

Rolling resistance was noticeable coming off an Ardent Race 2.2 out back on the same trails two days past.

When pointing down that resistance was greatly appreciated.

I'd say rolling resistance is up there with a Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.25.

Slightly more than say a DHRII as well.

Will likely run it as my Summer front tyre & out back for Winter fare.

For the $33 usd I paid for it, it'll definitely be a keeper.

I don't think the rolling resistance is as much as you say. Definitely not minion rolling resistance. I used the FK front and rear for XC racing and loved it.

mtbr member
    You're definitely doing something wrong, my FK rolls WAY better than a 3C DHR2, on Par with a Minion SS, faster than a 2.4" Ardent, as fast as a 2.35" Ikon.
    First ride on the FK tonight. Very growly getting to the trail. Rolling resistance was noticeable coming off an Ardent Race 2.2 out back on the same trails two days past. When pointing down that resistance was greatly appreciated.

I'd say rolling resistance is up there with a Michelin Wild Grip'R 2.25, Slightly more than say a DHRII as well.

Will likely run it as my Summer front tyre & out back for Winter fare. For the $33 usd I paid for it, it'll definitely be a keeper.

mtbr member
    3C DHR is a slug compared to the dual DHRII.

2.3 DHRII is also narrower than the 2.35 FK.

If you've got a 2.2 FK, then that'll be a different kettle of fish.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I don't understand how a company labels some tires fairly accurately while exaggerating others for no reason. This is a 2.1 at the moment, might stretch to 2.2... Not a 2.35.

mtbr member
    Just got my new 2.35 FK mounted up tubeless. I will say these things are a pain to seat with just a track pump. Had to go down to local gas station to use their compressor. Never had that problem with Ikon, DHRII, etc. Like most have mentioned earlier, the size was slightly disappointing, definitely not a true 2.35, more like 2.3.

Side by side with 2.4 DHRII. Definietely smaller
    Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20161231_182807_resized.jpg

Pulled out an old 2.25 Nobby to comp. Definitely bigger
    Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-20161231_182744_resized.jpg

So I figure should be around 2.3

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    On the plus side, this is the best sealing tubeless ready tire I've ever had. Locked on to my light bikes rim with just a little water spritz on the beads. Then it held 35lbs overnight without a drop of sealant.

It's pretty good in slick mud over hardpack, which was about 50% of what I rode today. It was also very good in the dryer sections and techy climbs with rocks.
    Last edited by 92gli; 01-01-2017 at 05:12 PM.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Side by side with 2.4 DHRII. Definietely smaller
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161231_182807_resized.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	1113230
    Is that a DHRII WT 2.4? I see those are ARC30 rims?

change is good
    Sep 2004

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?

I feel the 2.4 DH2 is much more substantial than the 2.3. More volume and larger lugs.

So, is the FK a more substantial RoRo?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

So, is the FK a more substantial RoRo?
    I feel like "ardent with more balls" is appropriate. Except this one doesn't come in xl volume.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Is that a DHRII WT 2.4? I see those are ARC30 rims?

Yes, thats a 2.4 DHR II, both mounted on Arc 30's. Took the bike out with the new setup for the first time this morning. So far, so good. The FK handled everything I threw at it, had waaay more grip than the 2.35 Ikon, and couldn't really notice a difference in rolling resistance. On the down side, the lower volume casing made for a rougher ride than the higher volume Ikon..

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Yes, thats a 2.4 DHR II, both mounted on Arc 30's. Took the bike out with the new setup for the first time this morning. So far, so good. The FK handled everything I threw at it, had waaay more grip than the 2.35 Ikon, and couldn't really notice a difference in rolling resistance. On the down side, the lower volume casing made for a rougher ride than the higher volume Ikon..
    But is it the WT (wide trail) version? Sorry to bother I've just been looking for a profile of that tire on that specific rim. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dream it, Do it.
    I'm hoping it might have similar rolling resistance to a Nobby Nic with better cornering traction. For our riding, I'm thinking it's most likely to be a rear tire paired with a DH-F in front.

I've got a pair that I'm planning to run both front & rear in an upcoming comparison test against the DH-R Dua Compoundl, Nobby Nic Pacestar and Aggressor Dual Compound
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Here's a side by side (not very clear... I know) w/ my new 2.4 XR4 Team Issue.

mtbr member
    I must say, almost identical knobs and placement, but the different size knobs, ramping and sipping will make the FK different, but would be cool to have both and compare. I know I like the Bonti TLR casings, they're bullet proof.

Here's a side by side (not very clear... I know) w/ my new 2.4 XR4 Team Issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    But is it the WT (wide trail) version? Sorry to bother I've just been looking for a profile of that tire on that specific rim. Thanks again.

Yes, thats a 2.4 WT

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am now Forekaster front and back. Like many on this thread, I ran a Forekaster front with AR on the back most of the summer and I loved the combo. This past winter, I ran a Nobby Nic on the back for more climbing traction but I needed to purchase a new one this year and was not excited about the NN price tag. Seeing that the NN and Forekaster are similar but reverse rotation, I have the old Forekaster on the back spinning reverse and the new Forekaster on the front.

I will also say that the old Forekaster has stretched a bunch and looks like a different tire when I compare it to the new one.

Happy winter trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Rode Pisgah over the weekend. Steep, chunky, rooty, wet, leaves, mud, gravel. 27.5x2.35 FK front, 2.2 FK rear. The only time the tires faltered was off-camber slick mud which followed plenty of previous mud to pack them up. When sliding they were pleasantly predictable. I was loving the low weight/rolling resistance on the insanely long gravel climb.

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by bluzar View Post
    I will also say that the old Forekaster has stretched a bunch and looks like a different tire when I compare it to the new one.
    Same exact experience for me too. On my Flow MK3s (29mm) the Forekasters measured 56ishmm at its widest part right after install..... 10 days & 50ish miles later, they are damn near 60mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone had a chance to put a 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster and the scales and see how much they come in at? Looking to drop some weight off my bike and these like a nice compromise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    Rode Pisgah over the weekend. Steep, chunky, rooty, wet, leaves, mud, gravel. 27.5x2.35 FK front, 2.2 FK rear. The only time the tires faltered was off-camber slick mud which followed plenty of previous mud to pack them up. When sliding they were pleasantly predictable. I was loving the low weight/rolling resistance on the insanely long gravel climb.
    I'm wondering if the side knobs stick out past the casing on the 2.2 FK?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    Anyone had a chance to put a 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster and the scales and see how much they come in at? Looking to drop some weight off my bike and these like a nice compromise.
    680g on my Feedback Sports scale.

These tires are very fast rollers compared to the DHF/DHR2 2.3 combo I was running on my Bronson. Running them front and rear.

Nice traction in the wet over roots/rocks and very good mud shedding capabilities. Had to bump it up 1 PSI more than normal (22/24) but they are great a reducing trail chatter while still providing decent sidewall support.

Like others have mentioned they are pretty skinny initially but they do chub up after a few rides. These are very good winter tires and I will continue using them until things start to dry up around here.

Dream it, Do it.
    Just weighed two unmounted Forekaster tires: 680g for one Forekaster, 710g for the other

In terms of weight, these are right in the range of Nobby Nics so I'll be curious to see if they roll as fast and whether they corner better.

Great to hear that these roll fast compared to the DHR2 as I've found that the DHR2 is surprisingly no slouch in terms of rolling resistance.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    There are 2 different wheel sizes, and 3 options in each size, so which size and casing did you weigh? As to FK vs the NN, if you're talking the Schwalbe Pace Star vs DC from Maxxis (I think that's a fair comparison), Maxxis wins for sure, Schwalbe is just too hard, or at least that's what it's felt like when I tried a set of regular 29"x2.35" NN PS on wet, mossy, slippery roots and rocks compared to DC Maxxis tyres on same trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Just weighed two unmounted Forekaster tires: 680g for one Forekaster, 710g for the other

In terms of weight, these are right in the range of Nobby Nics so I'll be curious to see if they roll as fast and whether they corner better.

Great to hear that these roll fast compared to the DHR2 as I've found that the DHR2 is surprisingly no slouch in terms of rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm putting together a Yeti 4.5c and i'm going to try Maxxis tires on this build. I ran Nobby Nic 29x2.35 front and rear on my Niner Rip9 and didn't have any complaints.

So i purchased an Ardent Race 29x2.35, Ikon 29x2.35 and now after this thread i went ahead and bought a 29x2.35 Forekaster. What combination front and rear would you run if you had these three tires on your shelf? Im thinking AR on the rear with the FK on the front and shelving the Ikon for now. Louisville, KY midwest trails. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.BG View Post
    I'm putting together a Yeti 4.5c and i'm going to try Maxxis tires on this build. I ran Nobby Nic 29x2.35 front and rear on my Niner Rip9 and didn't have any complaints.

So i purchased an Ardent Race 29x2.35, Ikon 29x2.35 and now after this thread i went ahead and bought a 29x2.35 Forekaster. What combination front and rear would you run if you had these three tires on your shelf? Im thinking AR on the rear with the FK on the front and shelving the Ikon for now. Louisville, KY midwest trails. Thoughts?
    Definitely FK front and AR rear.

Proudly Plus-Sized
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Definitely FK front and AR rear.

Curious what the size difference will be between the FK & the AR 2.35's...sounds like the FK is slightly undersized (or not as voluminous).

Dream it, Do it.
    I was responding to the previous post asking about the weight of 27.5 x 2.35 tires. There's only one version of those: Dual Compound/EXO/TR.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

Dream it, Do it.
    There are 2 different wheel sizes, and 3 options in each size, so which size and casing did you weigh?
    I was responding to the previous post asking about the weight of 27.5 x 2.35 tires. There's only one version of those: Dual Compound/EXO/TR.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    The AR 2.35, whilst not as nobly... is bigger than the FK 2.35.

A more aesthetic combo would be FK 2.35 front and AR 2.2 rear.

mtbr member
    Quoting the post you're responding to helps the rest of us know exactly what you're going on about ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    There are 2 different wheel sizes, and 3 options in each size, so which size and casing did you weigh? As to FK vs the NN, if you're talking the Schwalbe Pace Star vs DC from Maxxis (I think that's a fair comparison), Maxxis wins for sure, Schwalbe is just too hard, or at least that's what it's felt like when I tried a set of regular 29"x2.35" NN PS on wet, mossy, slippery roots and rocks compared to DC Maxxis tyres on same trails.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quoting the post you're responding to helps the rest of us know exactly what you're going on about ;-)
    For sure
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Just took the 2.35 FK out for a ride this morning in really wet conditions. Fantastic traction on the rear over some super slick rocks and roots. No comparison to the Ikon or AR I've had on back before. I think I'm sold on this as my winter setup with the 2.4 DHR II up front. Hell, it might be a year round setup with how well it is rolling!

mtbr member
    Just took the 2.35 FK out for a ride this morning in really wet conditions. Fantastic traction on the rear over some super slick rocks and roots. No comparison to the Ikon or AR I've had on back before. I think I'm sold on this as my winter setup with the 2.4 DHR II up front. Hell, it might be a year round setup with how well it is rolling!
    If only the FKs had the same side knobs as the DHF/DHR2, I would run them year round for sure. They roll effortlessly and are super smooth, but I don't like how they handle fast turns. The side knobs are a bit too small and squirmy for me.

Just did a mixed terrain 21km on my combo of 2.35FK front and 2.2AR rear (27.5).

All kinds of dry terrain - tarmac, dirt roads, doubletrack and flowing and also tight singletrack with loose rocks, loose soil, tight bermed turns, tight flat turns, dry gumleaves.

The only time the FK stumbled was on turns covered with dried leaves, which are slick as hell, and on loose rocks which will upset even an MX bike.

I really like the FK and the FK and AR combo rolls well and have enough traction for me.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    27.5 x 2.35.
    Was hoping mine would stretch, but it is not budging after 150 KM and leaving it inflated at 40 psi for a few days a couple of times. Its tiny at 2.25" and low volume.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?-img_9199_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    27.5 x 2.35.
    Was hoping mine would stretch, but it is not budging after 150 KM and leaving it inflated at 40 psi for a few days a couple of times. Its tiny at 2.25" and low volume.
    Ignitor style sizing on that one, by the sounds....
    Less isn't MOAR

Proudly Plus-Sized
    So unfortunate, knocks it off my list. I want volume first and foremost.

mtbr member
    On what size rim? My 29"x2.35" @ 22 PSI measures out to 58.5mm at casing, which when converted is 2.3" which is good for me at that pressure when stated pressure is min 35 PSI, on an i29mm rim.

Quote Originally Posted by xc71 View Post
    27.5 x 2.35.

mtbr member
    On what size rim? My 29"x2.35" @ 22 PSI measures out to 58.5mm at casing, which when converted is 2.3" which is good for me at that pressure when stated pressure is min 35 PSI, on an i29mm rim.
    Yeah I agree. Mine is mounted on a 30mm Arc 30, and while I don't have calipers, it fits right in between a 2.25 Nobby Nic and a 2.4 DHR II, both on 30mm rims. So 2.3 is about right.

mtbr member
    Yeah I agree. Mine is mounted on a 30mm Arc 30, and while I don't have calipers, it fits right in between a 2.25 Nobby Nic and a 2.4 DHR II, both on 30mm rims. So 2.3 is about right.

Mine measures 2.3 on i30mm wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Purdue22 View Post
    Just FYI to anyone interested in running this as a rear tire. I'm 200#s on a 2016 SW Camber 29 with 30mm ID rims. I'm running the 2.35" FK at 21 psi in the rear with a 2.5" Minon DHF in the front at 19 psi. Much better rolling resistance than the other Minon I had on the back and significantly better traction than the 2.4" Ardent I was running before the Minon. So long as this tire holds up I plan to keep this setup going all winter and perhaps into the spring/summer.

NOTE: For those who commented on the treads feeling like they were rolling underneath themselves (not tire squirm due to low pressure but something different going on) I felt this too in my initial rides. I had this issue when I was at 24 psi but since I have now lowered to 21 psi and the FK is behaving great and there have been absolutely no rim strikes (could probably go lower in psi but as of now I have no need to do so).
    FYI - Less than 100 miles on my Forekaster rear tire and I just got a puncture in between the treads like others here have reported (very small but I lose about 1-2 psi a day and I can see the sealant trying to work). Stans is having a hard time keeping it sealed so I am about to put a plug in it. I love the tires low rolling resistance, weight, and grip but perhaps for my riding here (Marin) the tire just isn't strong enough for the sharp rocks. Always a balance of weight versus strength (and perhaps luck). I will continue to run it as long as I can since there is tons of tread left and will update if there are any other failures.

mtbr member
    Here's the FK vs XR4...

By my scientific tape measure the FK on a 25.5 ID rim measures out at 58mm (2.28 inches)...

For the record the XR4 on the same rim measures out at 59mm (2.32 inches)

Both tyres are undersized according to their specs...

But, I like them both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am looking at the 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster for the front wheel of a knolly endorphin build I am currently doing for my wife. I think the combination of grip, weight, rolling resistance have me convinced for a front tire.

What do you think is good to pair with it in the back? I would want something that rolls a bit better, doesn't wash while cornering, and still has solid braking/climbing traction, and has a similar weight.

I was thinking either the 2.35 AR, minion SS....or? Recommendations?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I recommend the 2.25 FK rear (which is what I'm using, with a 2.35 fk up front). For me the combo seems to hit a sweet spot in the compromise of grip, weight, and rolling resistance for the majority of the riding I do. Rolling resistance might be slightly better with an AR out back, but I'll take the extra grip and lower weight of the FK.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeballs View Post
    I recommend the 2.25 FK rear.
    I'm just a bit worried about the lack of volume the 2.20 FK may show, especially because reports of the 2.35 are that its narrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    They do run slightly narrow, but coming from a 2.35 xr3 out back I notice only the weight loss and lower rolling resistance. No loss in climbing grip (fk might even be better) and slight, if any, loss in cornering grip. And when the back does get loose, it's way more predictable than the xr3 was.

mtbr member
    Unless your wife is railing corners I think you are going to be fine whatever you choose. I am running an FK in the rear now (with durability still in question from an early hole on the tread side) with a DHF (2.5x29) up front; however, when the weather gets a bit better I will be replacing the FK with a Minon SS...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    She's a ripper and the terrain is demanding in Pisgah so I don't want to put her at a disadvantage. I know something like a tomahawk would not cut it but I'm curious if something like a minion SS would roll better in the back. But if the FK actually rolls well maybe id go 2.35 F and R.

It's hard to make legit suggestions for her because I run magic Mary F and aggressor R but that would be too much meat.

mtbr member
    If you've got dry or loose over hardpack, then I'd definitely skip the Minion SS, no braking traction in those conditions. I'd more put the Ardent Race or another 2.35" Forekaster on the back to pair with the front. Going from your description though, I'd be very tempted to put her on the same combo I run, which is Forekaster 2.35" rear/DHF 2.3" or DHR2 (lighter than the DHF, not as ultimate a front, but really good) in front, if you do that I think you'll quickly find her riding improves due to confidence in that combo. Forekaster is a damn fast rolling tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    She's a ripper and the terrain is demanding in Pisgah so I don't want to put her at a disadvantage. I know something like a tomahawk would not cut it but I'm curious if something like a minion SS would roll better in the back. But if the FK actually rolls well maybe id go 2.35 F and R.

It's hard to make legit suggestions for her because I run magic Mary F and aggressor R but that would be too much meat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Forekaster 2.35" rear/DHF 2.3" or DHR2 (lighter than the DHF, not as ultimate a front, but really good) in front, .
    Thanks for the advice Lynx. Tires are somewhere where I certainly agonize before purchasing, it can be frustrating. It gets amplified a bit for her bike because she doesn't weigh much (110lbs) so I find tires are something that can really help transform the bike and make the ride feel light. She also doesn't place as much abuse on sidewalls due to this but still needs the grip that the knobs provide.

My goal has been to find 650g tires for her that provide the characteristics described earlier. I know the cornering knobs are most robust on the DHF/DHR II and for my bike a tire like that is a no brainer but I'm debating if the additional 100+g penalty will pay off in performance gain on her bike.

Her previous tire set up was a Geax (vittoria) goma F and nobby nic R....which is pretty comparable to a DHF F and FK R.

mtbr member
    Well then, if that's the case, I'd go with either another FK 2.35" rear or the Ardent Race 2.35" rear. No clue what that weight is like, weighed that when I was like 10 years old but the DHR2 in DC EXO/TR is 800g for the 2.3" 3C is 805g and the FK 2.3" really does roll very fast (better than a NN IMH), so I still say try that combo for her DHR2 r/FK r. Going with the DC over the 3C will definitely help "speed up" any Maxxis tyres rolling resistance, so despite the small weight difference between the 2, they can roll vastly different.

Thanks for the advice Lynx. Tires are somewhere where I certainly agonize before purchasing, it can be frustrating. It gets amplified a bit for her bike because she doesn't weigh much (110lbs) so I find tires are something that can really help transform the bike and make the ride feel light. She also doesn't place as much abuse on sidewalls due to this but still needs the grip that the knobs provide.

My goal has been to find 650g tires for her that provide the characteristics described earlier. I know the cornering knobs are most robust on the DHF/DHR II and for my bike a tire like that is a no brainer but I'm debating if the additional 100+g penalty will pay off in performance gain on her bike.

Her previous tire set up was a Geax (vittoria) goma F and nobby nic R....which is pretty comparable to a DHF F and FK R.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What about the rocket ron? Ive been having good luck with that

mtbr member
    300 mile update: Ran the 2.35 x 29 Forekaster on the rear of my Rip 9. Immediately loved the grip in wet/damp conditions and bite on punchy climbs. But what bothered me was the rolling resistance, in most cases I was losing (1 mph avg) on the flats. Going downhill, the resistance was needed, braking is excellent, tracks well.

Getting the tire pressure right is what eventually make me love this tire more. Once I dialed in the PSI, it was about as fast as my Ignitor (spring rear tire).

After hearing more people running the Forekaster up front, I swapped the FK with a 2.35 Ignitor rear. This setup is amazing! Less on-off feeling with the 2.4 Ardent, the FK rolls fast, cuts without hesitation. While it doesnt have that volume, its not the end of the world and more confidence than the 2.4 Ardent. Looks like the FK stays up front till the end of spring then decide if I move back to the Ardent or something else.

But next fall/spring, will definitely be running FK front and back.

Imma run my 2.35 FK out the back come winter, with a Shorty up the front.
    Less isn't MOAR

Interestingly, today I hit a wet patch on a smooth section of fire road, from water leaking from the nearby water race. On a moderate left hand bend the Forekaster I have on the front went right out from under me and almost sent me over. Same thing on the way back later on. Maybe an inch of mud over the surface.

Will definitely be running a Shorty up front come winter....

Liking the FK in the otherwise dry conditions though.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Remember, that while it's a really good tyre, especially in wet, it is only a Dual Compound version, not 3C, so you're not going to get that extra grip the 3C compound provides. Personally I'm waiting for them to announce it available in Double Down casing and 3C compound sometime later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Interestingly, today I hit a wet patch on a smooth section of fire road, from water leaking from the nearby water race. On a moderate left hand bend the Forekaster I have on the front went right out from under me and almost sent me over. Same thing on the way back later on. Maybe an inch of mud over the surface.

Will definitely be running a Shorty up front come winter....

Liking the FK in the otherwise dry conditions though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    She's a ripper and the terrain is demanding in Pisgah...
    My experience running the Forekaster in Pisgah is that it does OK, it's better than the Ardent but I would want something meatier, especially right now.

I was surprised at how well it grips on wet, rootier trails (e.g. Sycamore, Cove Creek) and on the climbs. It rolls really fast, I'd put it close to the Ardent in rolling. The traction in places like DuPont is pretty good when it's wet.

Where you start to lose is when the trail turns rocky and/or muddy. I ended up taking mine off because it was just too risky on trails like Daniel's Ridge or Spencer Gap, where the rocks get wet and traction becomes harder to find. Muddier trails like the left side of Daniel's was even worse, I had no braking traction in the rear at all.

Of all places, I actually lost the rear end on Jim Branch due to a small wet spot on the trail, which was the end of it for me. A spot that small shouldn't cause me to even remotely lose traction, especially in a place like Pisgah where the terrain can be so unforgiving of even small mistakes. It just doesn't handle it well enough for me to have confidence in it.

Braking traction was pretty good, cornering traction was OK. Compliance was good, it didn't feel super stiff or firm like Minions do.

I'd consider myself in the intermediate category (comfortably handle Middle Black, Daniel's Ridge both directions, Cedar/Burnt, etc; Farlow/Pilot are out of reach) in terms of bike handling, if that gives you a point of reference for skill wise. I was running it on a 5010v2 on 27mm internal rims.

I went back to HRII 2.4 3C F and HRII 2.3 3C R. It's draggy on the climbs, but I'm not racing and I'd rather have confidence in my tires going down some of the trails there. When summer rolls around, I may consider going back to the Forekaster or a Nobby Nic. My desire / care about rolling resistance diminishes every time I see the side of a mountain in Pisgah and think what it would be like tumbling down in. My advice would be to favor control over anything else, especially there and especially while it's wet.

A 3C version, I expect, would do considerably better

Remember, that while it's a really good tyre, especially in wet, it is only a Dual Compound version, not 3C, so you're not going to get that extra grip the 3C compound provides. Personally I'm waiting for them to announce it available in Double Down casing and 3C compound sometime later this year.
    TBH I think it was the tread design and depth really. And the rounder profile. Just not enough to dig through, rather than float on the soft mud and get put offline.

Come winter I'll try a Shorty on the front and put the FK on the back.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    My experience running the Forekaster in Pisgah is that it does OK, it's better than the Ardent but I would want something meatier, especially right now.
    Thanks for the firsthand review for the same trails we ride. This has me thinking to go with a trailstar 2.35 nobby nic out front, still undecided on the rear. That should still be about 100g lighter than the Goma she was running previously. We ride it all in Pisgah, and Im lucky that the more technical the better for her so I should probably heir on the side of reliable traction.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the firsthand review for the same trails we ride. This has me thinking to go with a trailstar 2.35 nobby nic out front, still undecided on the rear. That should still be about 100g lighter than the Goma she was running previously. We ride it all in Pisgah, and Im lucky that the more technical the better for her so I should probably heir on the side of reliable traction.
    Maybe another NN in the back? PaceStar maybe?

I feel like losing traction in the rear can be just as bad as the front, especially up there and especially if she's pinning it down some of the technical trails. It really sucks lugging a heavy, slow rolling tire up those trails, but I think it rewards you in control when it gets nasty. Some of the technical climbs, it really helps to have a grippier tire too, especially in the back, and no one is going particularly fast anyway, so it's better to have a tire that can grip and not spin out.

Frankly, I've yet to find a tire for WNC that I feel like covers all the bases for the rear. When I run a 2.3 HRII 3C, I feel like it's a lead weight dragging me back the whole way, but I'm grateful for it when I blast through a wet spot or need the traction in Pisgah. In DuPont, I feel like it's too much tire and I suffer on the climbs and have to pedal a lot more on the descents, but that said, I can really push it into corners and not worry about wet spots or loose corners.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    I am looking at the 27.5 x 2.35 Forekaster for the front wheel of a knolly endorphin build I am currently doing for my wife. I think the combination of grip, weight, rolling resistance have me convinced for a front tire.

What do you think is good to pair with it in the back? I would want something that rolls a bit better, doesn't wash while cornering, and still has solid braking/climbing traction, and has a similar weight.

I was thinking either the 2.35 AR, minion SS....or? Recommendations?
    How about a Magic Mary front, Hans Damf pacestar rear?
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    How about a Magic Mary front, Hans Damf pacestar rear?
    Just too much beef for her. I run a magic mary front and wouldn't do that to my wife. I also think the hans dampf is a poor choice for a rear tire having personally run it myself in the past. The most tire I'd go up front for her would be a minion DHF but I'd like something lighter than 800'ish grams that it comes in at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    Maybe another NN in the back? PaceStar maybe?

Frankly, I've yet to find a tire for WNC that I feel like covers all the bases for the rear.
    Yea maybe the 2.25 pacestar NN in the rear.

You should look into the DHR II or the aggressor for the rear. I currently run the aggressor and it checks off most of the boxes as a pretty good all around rear tire for Pisgah conditions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    While I've had no problems at DuPont and Pisgah with the forekasters, 75% of my riding is on more xc type trails closer to where I live (North GA) and if the majority of my riding was at pisgah and dupont, I think I'd mount my 2.4 High roller back up front and use my 2.35 forekaster out back. Though I'd also probably want more bike than my 120mm travel Fuel ex 27.5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yea maybe the 2.25 pacestar NN in the rear.

You should look into the DHR II or the aggressor for the rear. I currently run the aggressor and it checks off most of the boxes as a pretty good all around rear tire for Pisgah conditions.

My wife is also 110lbs and rides aggressive trails. We have found casing suppleness and low tire pressure to be key for good grip in addition to compound and tread pattern.
    She runs a Hans D 2.35 trail upfront and a NN 2.25 pace outback when traction is needed switches to a Rock razor out back for dryer trails. She runs 15-17 psi upfront and 18-20psi rear. I would think the DHF and the Gomas, which I like at 170lbs, are way to stiff a casing for my wife.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Anyone tried the forekasters on dry summer conditions? Wonder how they will fare since they are optimized for wet conditions. I'm currently on the nobby nics and considering switching over.

mtbr member
    Not super dry but it's okay. Its durability is just like the NN in my opinion, not great... I'm moving to a minion dhf SS back for the summer with a trusty 2.5 DHF front.

mtbr member
    I run the Forekaster in Colorado which has very dry conditions most of the time. Most lower elevation trails are actually dusty right now in February and the Forekaster handles excellent, much better than the Ardent in my opinion. I know they were supposedly designed for mud but we don't ride when it is muddy here.

MCMXCV
    Quote Originally Posted by beefsteak View Post
    Anyone tried the forekasters on dry summer conditions? Wonder how they will fare since they are optimized for wet conditions. I'm currently on the nobby nics and considering switching over.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...l#post12801866

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thoughts on running HR II 2.3 front, Forekaster 2.35 (more like 2.2) rear for dry conditions with a lot of dust and loose over hardpack?
    I have no doubts of the High Roller, but I'm feeling like it's too much tire for me.
    How does it compare to the Forekaster as front tire? Could it be just fine to run the Forekaster front and something faster on the rear?

Got a suspension fork
    Love it myself, running it usually very dry conditions in Arizona.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop_Power View Post
    I run the Forekaster in Colorado which has very dry conditions most of the time. Most lower elevation trails are actually dusty right now in February and the Forekaster handles excellent, much better than the Ardent in my opinion. I know they were supposedly designed for mud but we don't ride when it is muddy here.
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Love it myself, running it usually very dry conditions in Arizona.
    Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a pair and can't wait to ride on them.

mtbr member
    Pressure is key, especially with the Forekaster, too high and you will roll fast and get fairly decent grip, but on off camber it'll slip out, too low and excellent traction, but roll a bit slow, possible pinch flat. When I say too high or too low we're talking 1-2 PSI either way. Right now not hammering anything with it being fairly dry, I weigh about 180lbs geared to ride and run 24 PSI in the rear on my FK on an i25 rim, FS 105/130 bike.
    Thanks for the advice. I just ordered a pair and can't wait to ride on them.

MCMXCV
    Pressure is key, especially with the Forekaster, too high and you will roll fast and get fairly decent grip, but on off camber it'll slip out, too low and excellent traction, but roll a bit slow, possible pinch flat. When I say too high or too low we're talking 1-2 PSI either way. Right now not hammering anything with it being fairly dry, I weigh about 180lbs geared to ride and run 24 PSI in the rear on my FK on an i25 rim, FS 105/130 bike.
    Fore sure. I'm 220lbs all geared up and I go with 26/29psi with my 29x2.35s on 29mm Flow MK3s. I'm far, far away from the 'lowest psi is bestest psi' group that seems to be running rampant these days, and have never had a rim strike in my rock SoCal high desert terrain.

I agree that 2-3 psi can make a big difference, and it took me several rides to settle on my psi.

mtbr member
    I'm 240 ready to ride & I'm at 28/29 psi out back...

I may drop a couple more as I've moved to an AM HT. Big cushy tires are going to be a must >.<

MCMXCV
    Sold
    Last edited by D Bone; 02-23-2017 at 11:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I have a 'like new' Forekaster (29x2.35) for sale in the classifieds for a great price.....
    Change your mind about the fk? Care to talk about it?

I just put mine back on, the rear, 2.35, replaced a moderately worn ardent 2.25, got the dhr2 2.3 up front and going to keep that there for a while.

MCMXCV
    Change your mind about the fk? Care to talk about it?

I just put mine back on, the rear, 2.35, replaced a moderately worn ardent 2.25, got the dhr2 2.3 up front and going to keep that there for a while.
    Yea, once I went to a 30mm ID rim, the sidewalls started to take a serious beating in my rocky terrain.... They never failed, but I don't really know how they didn't as some of the cuts were very deep. They were perfect on my 23mm rims, and I never had a single cut in over 600 miles on the exact same trails.

I found a great price on a pair of Schwalbe Nobby Nics Snakeskin/PaceStar 2.35s and am running those right now.... Kind of like a Forekaster or Ground Control, but only on a massive amount of steroids.

Still love the Forekasters, but just not on my I9 Enduro 30.5mm rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I just got a pair of 27.5 x 2.35 Forekasters.
    First thing I noticed. They seem to be of the same width or slightly narrower than the 2.25 Nobby Nics I had previously.

Got a suspension fork
    First thing I noticed. They seem to be of the same width or slightly narrower than the 2.25 Nobby Nics I had previously.
    They are actually 2.20" on my digital scale, not a big volume air tire, but don't let it dissuade you - they ride really well.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    We think they will stretch a bit after being mounted.

Mine measures ~2.3 across the knobs, ~2.25 casing, at 25 psi, 21mm internal crest wheels, chinese dial calipers, after about a month being on.

Having a nice day!
    Yep, my Forekasters definitely stretched as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone get their hands on the 2.6 Forekaster? What does it measure?

Curious if I can get these to clear on a non-Plus bike.

Orange Bikes USA Dealer
    Unless you have a dedicated XC whip, a 2.6 anything is going to fit. Especially any undersized Maxxis tire.

2.6 Forekaster?

There's a 2.6 Forekaster?

Got a couple of months on my 27.5x2.35 FK front, 2.2 AR rear combo. Happy enough. The only places the FK has let go suddenly, is on some fine mud and hitting dry gumleaves sheeted across the trail. These being like bits of thin plastic and super slippery.

Have cut the AR sidewall once on the point of a busted stick. FK holding up fine. Both wearing very well. EXO versions running TL on 30i Roval rims on my Stumpy FSR.

The FK at times just needs that extra conscious effort on the inside hand on turns to get the edging knobs over, unlike square tyres like the HR etc, where those edge teeth are there almost all the time.

Will try FK on the rear over winter, with a 2.3 Shorty up front. Can't wait to try that one!
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Finally got a real ride on my forekaster. On the back of a 130/140mm trail bike, replaced a 2.4 dhr2. It's a solid tire, not quite dhr2 level of traction but completely rideable and it rolls noticeably easier. Needs 2-3 extra psi compared to the dhr. I was able to quickly forget about it, that's high praise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    To anyone who has run specifically a DHF 2.3 and Forekaster 2.35 rear: any oddness about the larger size tire out back? If I'm 100% set on a 2.3 front would I be better off with the 2.2 forekaster in the rear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Still got my Forekaster unmounted, haven't figured out its best use yet. My ROS SS is running and Ardent 2.4 front, Ikon 2.35 rear, been thinking as well about an Ardent Race 2.35, but not sure about the F/R configuration.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Maybe this will help for sizing questions, on a 25.5mm internal width flow rim the forekaster is 57mm wide. It stretched about 2mm after a 2 hour ride on rocky trails. A 2.4 dhr2 on the same rim is 60.5mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickd111 View Post
    To anyone who has run specifically a DHF 2.3 and Forekaster 2.35 rear: any oddness about the larger size tire out back? If I'm 100% set on a 2.3 front would I be better off with the 2.2 forekaster in the rear?
    The FK runs small so it's not strange looking. The FK 2.35 measures about 2.25-2.3 once it stretches a little. This is on i30mm wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garcia View Post
    Still got my Forekaster unmounted, haven't figured out its best use yet. My ROS SS is running and Ardent 2.4 front, Ikon 2.35 rear, been thinking as well about an Ardent Race 2.35, but not sure about the F/R configuration.
    Forekaster front and ardent race rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    Forekaster front and ardent race rear?

I bought those two tires for a fast rolling set, I just can't bring myself to pull my dhf off the front though. Loving the endless grip on my crappy, sandy, rocky trails. Whenever I try that set I'll post a quick review.

mtbr member
    Nope, none at all, 2.35" FK looks a bit smaller because the knobs are no where the size of the DHF, but it's a great combo, really love it, and if you do measure them you'll find out that they measure out the same 57mm casing - they use the same carcass/casing AFAIK. Just waiting for them to release the 3C Maxx *** option to try FK F&R, also waiting for the 29x2.6" option.

Quote Originally Posted by nickd111 View Post

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Awesome! Thanks for the replies!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nope, none at all, 2.35" FK looks a bit smaller because the knobs are no where the size of the DHF, but it's a great combo, really love it, and if you do measure them you'll find out that they measure out the same 57mm casing - they use the same carcass/casing AFAIK. Just waiting for them to release the 3C Maxx *** option to try FK F&R, also waiting for the 29x2.6" option.
    Is maxxis coming out with the 3C on the Forekaster? It is out now, as I saw a Scott Spark Ultimate running F/R 29 x 2.35 FK which had 3C, but I am guessing this OEM only right now.

mtbr member
    I picked up a Forekaster 27.5x2.6 last week (from Maxxis). I went with the 60tpi model since I wanted to run it in the rear. I'm running 38mm ID rims and the tire measured out to 2.46 wide at the knobs. On the same rim a Rekon+ 2.8 measures 2.66 at the knobs and the Ardent 2.4 was 2.34 at the knobs. Height wise the Forekaster 2.6 was just over 28", about a 1/4" bigger than the Ardent 2.4, and a 1/4" smaller than the Rekon+ 2.8.

As far as performance it rolls slower than the Ardent 2.4, but Sheds mud real nice and I was able to corner real hard with confidence. I dropped the tire down to 14psi and the sidewalls started to roll, but up around 18psi it felt rock solid. So far it is a nice match for my DHF 2.5WT up front.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 17 Whyte T130, 18 Giant Glory Advanced

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    How does it compare to the rekon in rolling resistance and cornering grip?

CFH
    mtbr member
    Is anyone having issues with the 2.35 on a wider rim? Like a 29mm ID... I would be using this as a front tire.

mtbr member
    I have a Rekon 2.8 on my hardtail, and the Forekaster 2.6 feels a little slower. It sheds mud way better though and doesnt clog up like the Rekon does. Since they are both rear tires cornering grip doesnt come into play as much as a front tire, but the Forekaster does has the edge here, atleast in softer conditions. I originally planned on ordering the Rekon 2.6, but Maxxis only has it currently available in the 120tpi model, which I dont want as a rear tire. The Forekaster is currently available in both.

The Forekaster reminds me a lot of the Specialized Purgatory, but lighter and better mud shedding ability.

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Is anyone having issues with the 2.35 on a wider rim? Like a 29mm ID... I would be using this as a front tire.
    Running one as a front tyre on my 27.5 FSR Stumpjumper, 30mm ID. Tyre measured 2.31 at the edging tread when first mounted.

Has worked great so far over summer in all dry conditions.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    If only the 2.35 was 2.35 o_0

Need more volume out back on my 29er AM HT (Summer fare).

Will be fine out back for softer, Wintery trails.

If only the 2.35 was 2.35 o_0

Need more volume out back on my 29er AM HT (Summer fare).

Will be fine out back for softer, Wintery trails.

Yeah, at 2.31 on a 30ID rim I can only imagine it would be 2.2something on a 19mm ID rim.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    2.35 works great on my 28mm inside width but I prob would think twice if it was on a 30mm+ rim. Tire is on the narrow side.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I have a Rekon 2.8 on my hardtail, and the Forekaster 2.6 feels a little slower. It sheds mud way better though and doesnt clog up like the Rekon does. Since they are both rear tires cornering grip doesnt come into play as much as a front tire, but the Forekaster does has the edge here, atleast in softer conditions. I originally planned on ordering the Rekon 2.6, but Maxxis only has it currently available in the 120tpi model, which I dont want as a rear tire. The Forekaster is currently available in both.

The Forekaster reminds me a lot of the Specialized Purgatory, but lighter and better mud shedding ability.
    Where did you see they are both specifically designed as rear tires ?

From what I heard both work well as front tire.

I'm looking at Rekon 2.6 rear and forekaster 2.6 front combo but in 60 TPI and they seems hard to find. If someone knows where to find them it would be appreciated to have the link.

mtbr member
    Sorry, I didnt mean to say they are rear specific tires, I was just comparing the their use as a rear tire. I havent tried a Forekaster up front.

I have a Rekon 2.8 on the Front and rear of my hardtail, and i think it is a much better rear tire for my conditions and riding style. I prefer a front tire that does not have a bunch of knobs in the transition zone like the Rekon does. Its still a really good tire and I probably wont swap it out though because it has a perfect balance of traction, weight and rolling speed.

I ordered my 2.6 tires straight from Maxxis. It cost a little more but I didnt want to wait! I'm using my 2.6 with a DHF 2.5WT up front. the 2.6 is a few mm wider, but the diameter is about the same if you measure to the top of the knobs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Davex1 View Post
    Where did you see they are both specifically designed as rear tires ?

From what I heard both work well as front tire.

I'm looking at Rekon 2.6 rear and forekaster 2.6 front combo but in 60 TPI and they seems hard to find. If someone knows where to find them it would be appreciated to have the link.
    Universalcycles.com has the 2.6 in stock for $63

mtbr member
    May 2016

72.06 USD but for the 120 TPI version maxxis forekaster 2.6.

Maxxis are hard to find in Canada and I can get the Spec GC/Purgatory Grid 2.6 for 70.00$ ea. CDN. at my local shop, no shipping cost. So I think I will have to forget maxxis for now and get spec tires instead. Nobby nic apex 2.6 seems to be a good choice also but are much more expensive.

mtbr member
    My LBS carries specialized and I can get the Specialized 2.6 tires for pretty cheap, but they are HEAVY in comparison.
    CG 2.6 - 880g
    Purgatory 2.6 - 940g
    Forekaster 2.6 (120tpi) - 785g
    Rekon 2.6 (120tpi) - 730g

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Oh. I was referring to the rekon 2.6

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    My LBS carries specialized and I can get the Specialized 2.6 tires for pretty cheap, but they are HEAVY in comparison.
    CG 2.6 - 880g
    Purgatory 2.6 - 940g
    Forekaster 2.6 (120tpi) - 785g
    Rekon 2.6 (120tpi) - 730g
    Yes grid versions are around 100g heavier than control versions but have a much stronger sidewall and better support for riding at low pressure. They are however heavier than maxxis EXO 60 TPI but maxxis tends to run small and spec are more true to size I believe. I prefer a bullet proof tire wich is slightly heavier than something too fragile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I agree. Maxxis tends to run smaller and heavier than spec'd. It has been the case with the last 8 tires within 2 yrs.

mtbr member
    Stumpy 29 Carbon coming out of winter on DHF/DHR2 2.3 combo. Got the Forekaster in after seeking something for spring and into summer and reading this thread. 851g on the DHR2 3c rear and 754 on the Forekaster replacing it. Today was my second ride on the tire on our local mostly dry, pedally style riding conditions. I have yet to push it on gravity stuff. 180lbs, rode it at 23psi with the DHR up front. I just don't get it.....

I just don't get it; I have no idea where the traction is coming from. The tire feels lighter, rolls faster, but man it feels SUPER grippy unless really pushed over its edge on stupid lean. The thing is, most of our pedally riding here doesn't have us railing into the side knobs for 95% of the ride and this made me realize it today. Generally speaking I'd almost say this tire is BETTER for my conditions and possibly my riding style on the rear. Felt solid off camber as well as up and down. WIN WIN.

Tried the Slaugther and SS. Too little, just for reference. The tire is hooked at most lean angles, climbs pretty well and gives up a tad in breaking. Either way, im stoked as hell and will be riding the heck out of this tire. Give it a go!
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    May 2016
    72.06 USD but for the 120 TPI version maxxis forekaster 2.6.

Maxxis are hard to find in Canada and I can get the Spec GC/Purgatory Grid 2.6 for 70.00$ ea. CDN. at my local shop, no shipping cost. So I think I will have to forget maxxis for now and get spec tires instead. Nobby nic apex 2.6 seems to be a good choice also but are much more expensive.
    Finally order placed at universal cycles for Maxxis 27.5x2.6 tires !

Front: Forekaster 60 TPI
    Rear: Rekon 60 TPI

Will be mounted tubeless on 33mm ID wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Well after rotating thru a 2.3 DHR2 dual to a 2.3 DHF 3c on the front of my 27.5 FS, I put the FK, that was sitting collecting dust, back on the front. Got a couple rides in the AZ desert, and seems to be better than I remembered the 1st time I had it on. Rolls slightly better (duh) and at my speed just as nearly the same grip. At 3 psi higher than the minions it still feels more supple (duh).
    Currently have an Ardent Race 2.2 on back, which seems good aside from once in a while when locking up the rear brakes, the back end will slide out to one side.
    So I debated between a regular Ardent or FK for the rear, decided to go with the FK. Ordered it a couple days ago. I'm thinking I will gain some traction without losing too much in RR/speed.
    Good times ahead!

mtbr member
    My FK is showing some small Knicks in the casing between lugs o_0

Several different locations on tire.

mtbr member
    What would you expect, the casing is very exposed with the knobs spaced so far apart, if you're riding any serious volcanic rock or coral, then expect it. Personally, I can't say I've seen any on mine that would catch my eye or warrant worry and I've been riding mine on coral for over 6 months in the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Just ordered the EXO FK 27.5 x 2.35 from Backcountry for the front wheel.
    I'm now running Ardent Race 3C 2.20 both front and rear, I just want a bit more front grip in the crud/muck without increasing the weight too much

Giant Talon 2 2016 Hard Tail.

Dab-O-Matic
    Just for edification, re ForeKaster 29, what width should I expect on a 26mm (inside) rim, in both the 2.2 and 2.35? Thanks!
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Just for edification, re ForeKaster 29, what width should I expect on a 26mm (inside) rim, in both the 2.2 and 2.35? Thanks!
    Maxxis run usually .1'' smaller than advertised on normal pressures.

Dab-O-Matic
    Maxxis run usually .1'' smaller than advertised on normal pressures.
    Thanks, I found this quote from another thread: "My Forekaster & Hans Dampf, both 2.35 in 29er size measure 58mm & 61mm wide respectively on 25.5 ID rims."
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SDMTB'er View Post
    Just had my first ride with the Maxis FK 2.35. Here is a short review:

The rider:

5'10
    215 kitted
    Logging ~2,000 miles so far this year

Bike:

2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail, Large
    Fork: Fox Factory Float 34, 130mm @ 95psi with three air volume reducers (stock); rebound 4 clicks from full out (slowest)
    Shock: Fox Factory DPS 116mm set to "race" mode on the sag indicator; rebound 4 clicks from full out (slowest)
    Wheel size: 29"
    Wheel material: Light Bicycle carbon (I can't recall ID, but they aren't wide)
    Hubs: DTSwiss 240s; 28 spokes front and back
    Front tire: Maxxis Forekaster, 2.35 @ 22psi, tubeless
    Back Tire: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.20 @ 25psi, tubeless

Where I ride:

Mostly SoCal / San Diego / Greater San Diego Area (Hodges, Daley, PQ, Noble, Cuyamaca, La Costa, Calavera, San Juan, Black Mountain) etc.

Conditions can only currently be described as:

- Sand over hard pack
    - Deeper sand over hard pack
    - Rocks with sand and / or deeper sand over hard pack
    - Rocks

Today's ride was around Lake Hodges where I happen to live near one of the trailheads. I ride this trail a lot before work and know almost every rock, turn, etc. by heart. Conditions were super dry and blown out. Temperature was around 80 degrees with winds around 5-10mph from the west. Lake Hodges is considered easy MTB riding with occasional mildly technical features along the way. The route has lots of twisty single track and frequent off camber turns. Total distance ridden today was 19.6 miles.

Maxxis markets the Forekaster as a wet weather tire, but I think after today this tire has become my go to front tire for light trail / XC in SoCal where dry, dusty, and loose conditions prevail.

Cornering: This tire was exceptional for holding a line through corners even off camber. I found that I could even be a bit sloppy in my technique (i.e., leaning body with bike as I turn vs. moving bike beneath you) and the Forekaster did not flinch. I often ride a Minion DHF on this bike as a front tire and found the Forekaster to corner at least as well as the Minion DHF and certainly better than an Ardent 2.4 I recently used. 5 stars.

Rolling resistance: I could perceive no less rolling resistance than the Ardent 2.4 referenced above, and maybe a bit less resistance than a Minion DHF. Having the additional confidence with this tire allowed me to carry my speed through turns without that little "feather brake" I often do when I feel like I might just lose traction. The only tires that I have ridden that beat this tire's rolling resistance are a 2.35 Ikon, 2.20 Ardent Race and then of course Racing Ralph's. However, an Ikon or a Racing Ralph would not do well in these conditions unless you pay attention to each and every turn. The other day I tried Ikon 2.35s front and rear and liked the combo, but you had to really watch what you were doing with the front tire. 4 stars

Weight: This tire is surprisingly light - Maxxis says it is 735 grams and I think that feels about right. Definitely lighter feeling than a Minion DHF and felt this tire would be superb for 30-50 mile rides. I would put this on par with a Nobby Nic, but for whatever reason the Forekaster feels like it holds it's line better (shape of casing?) This weight, for it's confidence inspiring traction is very good so I am giving this 5 stars.

Off camber traction: Where most of the Maxxis line I am used to (Minion DHF, High Roller II, Ardent Race) sort of relies on those corner knobs for traction in off camber turns as well as the perfunctory erosion channels that pervade SoCal trails, the Forekaster seems to use the entire tire to achieve this. I didn't feel like I was hanging on to the last set of knobs before losing traction. Excellent traction and the longer the ride got the more confident I felt. 5 stars.

Deep sand: This is the one I was most curious about - you know those times when you see sand coming up that is 4-8 inches deep and you are always surprised by how your wheels move - where other tires often made moderately or even severe directional changes, the Forekaster tracked very nicely with only minor steering corrections. It was actually pretty cool and I never felt this kind of control through deep sand (yes, I know fat bikes can do it better blah blah). 5 stars.

Installation: Super easy with the Tubeless Ready - 5 stars.

In summary, if you are looking for a light-ish tire at 735 grams for dry, dusty, loose conditions like here in SoCal, I highly recommend this tire.
    Dude I got tired of analyzing so I took the plunge and ordered a 2.35 FK for my front and a 2.35 ikon for the rear for my new full BMC four-stroke.

I was worried that they said IK was for wet, I often ride Hodges and except for this winter we don't get water!

Your review makes me stoked to mount it up!!!

1 year later, but thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've been running the Forekaster 27.5x2.6 as a rear tire for 2 months and just switched to a Rekon 2.6 over the weekend. I've been running a DHF up front with both tires.

The Rekon is noticeable faster, but doesnt give up much in the way of traction. I think its one of the best balanced tires for speed/traction I've tried in a long time. For me its an ideal summer tire.

In muddy conditions the Rekon does clog up fairly easy where as the Forekaster sheds mud very well and maintains traction. I'll be sticking with a DHF up front, but will be running the Forekaster in the wetter months and the Rekon in the drier months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016

What would you expect, the casing is very exposed with the knobs spaced so far apart, if you're riding any serious volcanic rock or coral, then expect it. Personally, I can't say I've seen any on mine that would catch my eye or warrant worry and I've been riding mine on coral for over 6 months in the rear.
    I have some of these same concerns riding in the AZ desert. Really don't want to get a flat, rear concern mostly, while several miles away from my truck during the last few minutes of daylight, which is when I seem to ride alot.

But after seveal rides with dual FK's, the rear is showing almost zero marks or abraisions. But I am a light rider, make a good effort to un-weight the rear going over rocks. The regular ardent 2.25 d/c is still in the back of my mind for the rear, always thought it spun up really nice, but for now I will probably stick with the FK in front and rear.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I'm done with the FK. Slides way too easily in turns when I'm behind the saddle. Now that it's a little worn it's bordering on ridiculous. It's great for climbing with your ass on the saddle but the lateral movement when carving is too much. I'm in disbelief that some of you are using it as a front tire. If I did that I'd probably be getting some major dental work.

Your Best Friend
    I'm done with the Forecaster as well. It wasn't a bad single track tire. It wore too quickly for my use and on slick rock, of which my trails have a ton of, it had no ability to hold the rock while riding across a slope. The sidewall and knobs would fold over and suddenly lose grip. I crashed several times because the back end of my bike would suddenly wash out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as the two above. It rolls fast but that's about all I can say that I really love about the tire. I'm going to a Minion SS in the back now for summer (DHF in front always). So what's the next best tire, any other new ones out there?

Dab-O-Matic
    I'm done with the FK. Slides way too easily in turns when I'm behind the saddle. Now that it's a little worn it's bordering on ridiculous. It's great for climbing with your ass on the saddle but the lateral movement when carving is too much. I'm in disbelief that some of you are using it as a front tire. If I did that I'd probably be getting some major dental work.
    No love for the Tomahawk? I really like the Aggressor, it's just heavier than I want.
    I'm done with the Forecaster as well. It wasn't a bad single track tire. It wore too quickly for my use and on slick rock, of which my trails have a ton of, it had no ability to hold the rock while riding across a slope. The sidewall and knobs would fold over and suddenly lose grip. I crashed several times because the back end of my bike would suddenly wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by Purdue22 View Post
    Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as the two above. It rolls fast but that's about all I can say that I really love about the tire. I'm going to a Minion SS in the back now for summer (DHF in front always). So what's the next best tire, any other new ones out there?
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    Parlee Chebacco
    '07 575 XT
    SB95a*
    SB95c*
    ASRc*
    SB5c*
    * retired

mtbr member
    Sorry, but I'll happily say I still love my Forekaster, but if you're riding mainly riding rock, then an Aggressor or DHR2 is better suited. Hoping they offer a 2.6" FK or even a true plus option and some different compound options.

mtbr member
    2.6" x 29" tires are coming the last half of this year according to Maxxis but it is definitely taking them a while/wish they would come out early. I really think 2.6" +\- 0.2 is the sweet spot...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Anyone ran a Maxxis Forecaster?

Had my first ride using 2.35 FK up front on my '16 Fuel EX (29er). I replaced the 2.3 XR3 front but kept the rear. FK was about the same size. So the FK was a huge improvement over the XR3 in most ways & RR seemed similar. I'd rate the cornering grip similar (maybe a bit better) to Ardent in 2.25 but it's been a while since I used that tire. I think it's a good choice for a more XC style trail bike like my 120mm 29er but probably not burly enough for a 140-150mm bike. Will see how it wears as my XR3 started to loose grip as the side knobs wore, as other have suggested for the FK in this thread. But considering I only paid $30 usd for this tire, I'll be ok with replacing it a bit sooner than normal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Same reason I'm switching back to a DHR. It was great in the dirt and cornered well. Appreciated how light it was. Off camber traction on rock just wasn't there at all. Spinning out more than I was used to on techy climbs also.

battle stag commander
    I have been running 2.35 EXO forkasters front and rear on my Evil Calling. Riding mostly western Mass, some in Vermont. Some places that are great for testing sidewall durability. I have had great luck with exo casing, I havent found anything comperable yet. Ive run them enough over the winter and through this season that they might need replacing soon due to simple tread wear.

these are supposed to be a wet xc tire, I find them to be a great allround trail tire, maybe not quite as fast in a straight like as the ikons, but greater versatility as conditions and surfaces change. For instance, yesterday did a humid ride at Batchelor street, dry trail conditions, with lots of leaf litter in many places, but all of the classic batchelor moonrock was pretty slick and sweaty from the humidity.

Lots of great tires out there nowadays, Ive found these to suit me very well in lots of different conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've been using the Forekaster front, Ardent Race rear (both 29x2.35) for about a year now, and I still like this combination a lot. The AR has really impressed me. The tread design doesn't look like it would have a lot of grip, but it has provided very good climbing and cornering traction while still rolling fast.

I had a DHF front before the Forekaster. The DHF had amazing cornering grip, but it was too heavy and slow rolling for my needs. The Forekaster is a good compromise. It gives good cornering grip but also rolls pretty well and isn't too heavy.

mtbr member
    I live in the PNW and I found the Forekaster to be a great rear tire during the wet season. Digs in real nice and sheds mud very well. I can see how it wouldnt be the best option for lots of rocks, and while they do grip on hardpack, I find they roll a little slow. For the summer months i'm running a Rekon which rolls amazingly fast for the amount of grip it gives you. I'll switchback to the Forekaster once the fall rains return. Up front I always run grippy aggressive tires and I'm currently loving the DHF 2.6 3c exo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast