Anyone know when Assegai EXO Casing will be Released?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Anyone know when Assegai EXO Casing will be Released?

These things are taking forever

mtbr member
    Indeed, I saw a listing for a DD version on a site for sale but it TBA release date.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb:skep:

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    yeah im waiting for the non-dh version of the assegai tires also! i keep checking online stores but nothing
    2017 yeti sb6c turq x01 eagle

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I think the tires would be listed on the Maxxis site before in retailers stock. I saw something on Pinkbike about the soon to be release but of course a date was never given.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I messaged Maxxis on Instagram about availability so we'll see.

mtbr member
    I'll be waiting to hear how everybody likes the non DH casing version that only has 3C Maxx Terra instead of the MaxxGrip on the DH version. I have a feeling alot of the love for this tyre will die for a lot of people when they give the lighter, less stickier compound version a try. Friend has one on the front of his Ripmo and the compound makes 3C MaxxTerra compound feel like hard plastic almost and you can ONLY get MaxxGrip on DH casing tyres.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    It shows them in the 2019 Maxxis Catalog. Should be soon hopefully.

I am assuming will probably just release them in 2.5s?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    I'll be waiting to hear how everybody likes the non DH casing version that only has 3C Maxx Terra instead of the MaxxGrip on the DH version. I have a feeling alot of the love for this tyre will die for a lot of people when they give the lighter, less stickier compound version a try. Friend has one on the front of his Ripmo and the compound makes 3C MaxxTerra compound feel like hard plastic almost and you can ONLY get MaxxGrip on DH casing tyres.
    I have a Exo casing MaxxGripp DHF 2.5 on my bike right now.

mtbr member
    Ah, sorry, my bad, only ride 29ers, did not look at the smaller offerings. Interesting that Maxxis don't think that 29ers would benefit or want MaxxGrip, except in a DH casing

Quote Originally Posted by rynomx785 View Post
    I have a Exo casing MaxxGripp DHF 2.5 on my bike right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Ah, sorry, my bad, only ride 29ers, did not look at the smaller offerings. Interesting that Maxxis don't think that 29ers would benefit or want MaxxGrip, except in a DH casing
    Yeah, the lack of configurations is a little irritating. I switched to a DD casing in the back and the only 2.5 options were a DHF and an Aggressor. I was really hoping the Assegai was going to be available in a MaxxGrip and MaxTerra as well as Exo and DD. Wishful thinking? Probably. LOL

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-568-140-assegai

listed on the site now but not in the store

I'm with stupid
    Dual compound option! I know what I will be running front and rear this summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phazedalx View Post

listed on the site now but not in the store
    Kind of weird that none of the EXO casing options are WT profile? I have been running 2.5WT Maxxgrip Exo DHF on the front for a couple months now and I have been really happy with it. I was hoping for a Maxxgrip Exo option in the Assegai too for a front tire option but if none of the Exo casings are WT I will probably stick with my DHF.

mtbr member
    Kind of weird that none of the EXO casing options are WT profile?
    My guess is they made a mistake on the website. Can't imagine they'd make a 2.5 in anything but WT now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    My guess is they made a mistake on the website. Can't imagine they'd make a 2.5 in anything but WT now.
    That was my thought as well.

The Assegai is a little heavier than the same size Minion. Taller knobs???

mtbr member
    That was my thought as well.

The Assegai is a little heavier than the same size Minion. Taller knobs???
    Yeah, from what I read the knobs are a bit taller.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    DOUBLE DOWNS AVAILABLE IN STOCK IN EUROPE for 27,5 and 29
    https://www.bikester.co.uk/maxxis-as...ck-946890.html

Got rocks?
    After running a vigilante I really want to try this tire in Maxx terra. I emailed maxxis a month ago and never heard back on availability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inaxganja View Post
    DOUBLE DOWNS AVAILABLE IN STOCK IN EUROPE for 27,5 and 29
    https://www.bikester.co.uk/maxxis-as...ck-946890.html
    They are available here in the US

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Instagram/Youtube- Dagonger
    Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    I am curious to see what everyone thinks of them. Side knob bite is less than the Minions per the Maxxis catalog and they are heavier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am curious to see what everyone thinks of them. Side knob bite is less than the Minions per the Maxxis catalog and they are heavier.
    You can see my review on the main site (https://reviews.mtbr.com/maxxis-assegai-tire-review) but they catch similar to the minions but don't have the channel - so that vague drifty spot isn't there and you don't feel them "catch" cause they don't slide. Traction for days though. I acutally ate sh1t when swapping back to a DHF in a loose corner on back-to-back runs, when the front stepped out about a foot to the side due to the channel.

I've been pestering them too, because this timeline is way stretched out to what I was told at the launch. There isn't supposed to be much weight savings for DD, EXO is now listed on their site - still a bit portly, but there are lots of knobs. I'm planning to pick up one for the front. On the rear, it was way too planted - prefer something that'll move around a bit - have been switching between a Specialized Butcher (rolls better than the DHF) for wet stuff and the Aggressor or Slaughter for dry.

Cheers!

Got rocks?
    If it grips like the vigilante I really want to try it. I noticed on off camber trails the vigilante gripped and climbed when the dhf would slip a bit. The Vig is just so heavy the assegai is gonna be 200g lighter supposedly and be curious if it rolls any faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I've not tried the Vigilante - was just too heavy. The tread pattern looks similar, so guessing you'll be pleased. I think it's a great front tire though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BraapTastic View Post
    You can see my review on the main site (https://reviews.mtbr.com/maxxis-assegai-tire-review) but they catch similar to the minions but don't have the channel - so that vague drifty spot isn't there and you don't feel them "catch" cause they don't slide. Traction for days though. I acutally ate sh1t when swapping back to a DHF in a loose corner on back-to-back runs, when the front stepped out about a foot to the side due to the channel.

I've been pestering them too, because this timeline is way stretched out to what I was told at the launch. There isn't supposed to be much weight savings for DD, EXO is now listed on their site - still a bit portly, but there are lots of knobs. I'm planning to pick up one for the front. On the rear, it was way too planted - prefer something that'll move around a bit - have been switching between a Specialized Butcher (rolls better than the DHF) for wet stuff and the Aggressor or Slaughter for dry.

Cheers!
    I read your review shortly after it came out. I guess I am going to have to try one when Exo casing is available. Super happy with my 2.5 DHFs and I hesitant to change something when it works well.

As far the Butcher goes, I might me selling myself short but, I refuse to put a Specialized tire on my Ibis. haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I work at a shop and inquired with Maxxis the other day:

​The Assegai 29x2.50 EXO+ tires were delayed in production and will not be available until July. At that time QBP and other Maxxis distributors should have them in stock as well.

​Sorry for the delay!

Your Maxxis Support Team

I'm pretty bummed, I've been looking forward to running the Assegai as a front since the day it was announced, but I'm just not willing to run a DH casing tire on my trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    I work at a shop and inquired with Maxxis the other day:

​The Assegai 29x2.50 EXO+ tires were delayed in production and will not be available until July. At that time QBP and other Maxxis distributors should have them in stock as well.

​Sorry for the delay!

Your Maxxis Support Team

I'm pretty bummed, I've been looking forward to running the Assegai as a front since the day it was announced, but I'm just not willing to run a DH casing tire on my trail bike.
    What about the 27.5x2.5 options?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    They didnít explicitly say so, but I think theyíre subject to the same delays

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Cheers!
    I ride a Pivot Switchblade that came with a DHF/DHR combination. I love the climbing traction of the DHR, but have never liked the DHF. Iím looking at either Assegai/Aggressor or Assegai/DHR. The trails I ride are mostly dry, hardpack with some loose over hard. I would like to work on carrying more speed through corners and I donít really slide the rear much. What combination would you recommend? Maybe stay with DHR in back or will the Aggressor be able to hookup pretty well on rocky climbs? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Levelheadsteve View Post
    What combination would you recommend? Maybe stay with DHR in back or will the Aggressor be able to hookup pretty well on rocky climbs? Thanks.
    The Aggressor will be able to hookup pretty well on rocky climbs. But then again, what doesn't? For terrain that's too loose for an aggressor I like the Der Baron at the back, though both the dhr and the dhf will also be foolproof there. It's a matter of match... When I'm able to get an EXO assegai I may use it with the 2.5 dhf at the rear for brand and size match. The Der Baron has a comparable size though, and it's also an option I consider for the front, as is the dhr. I just don't like the comparatively small size of the dhr, even though it still grips better at the front than larger tires such as the dhf 2.5. I will be retesting the dhf as soon as the weather allows, to see if I can cope with its driftiness. One tire I tried that surprised me was the Kenda Hellkat. Superb weight/rolling resistance/grip/casing resistance combination, and even for grip in absolute it stands in a very good position. I mean the atc version, there is another one that is even grippier and also more reinforced.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The side knob bite holds like an HR2 which feels more locked in than the minions IMHO but there is grip while leaning over to them, or if you cant fully lean the bike. Running the DD version on the front with DHR rear. Definitely my new favorite combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    The side knob bite holds like an HR2 which feels more locked in than the minions IMHO but there is grip while leaning over to them, or if you cant fully lean the bike. Running the DD version on the front with DHR rear. Definitely my new favorite combo.
    I knew that the Asseagai side knobs were about the same as the HR2 but I haven't ridden a HR2. You are saying the HR2/Assegai side knobs grip more than the Minions once they are leaned over?

I have always heard the Minions are about the best there is as long as you are willing and able to lean over far enough to let the side knobs work. I have been running DHFs front and rear and I am very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I knew that the Asseagai side knobs were about the same as the HR2 but I haven't ridden a HR2. You are saying the HR2/Assegai side knobs grip more than the Minions once they are leaned over?

I have always heard the Minions are about the best there is as long as you are willing and able to lean over far enough to let the side knobs work. I have been running DHFs front and rear and I am very happy with them.
    HR2 bite. a little harder but the minnions keep speed better. Minions tend to keep more speed everywhere with great grip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    What combination would you recommend? Maybe stay with DHR in back or will the Aggressor be able to hookup pretty well on rocky climbs? Thanks.
    Hi, Sorry for the lag. There has been some excellent feedback posted so far. For the summer, I ran either the Aggressor or Specialized Slaughter in the rear. On steep stuff, neither slow you down very well, so changed over to the DHR II or Specialized Butcher on the back. I tried the DHF in back, but it rolls even slower than the butcher on hard pack, so ditched that idea. The Butcher rolls faster than the DHF and clears mud a bit better than the DHRII, so ended up sticking with that. So, I'd say DHRII or similar traction tire for the wet and steeps, Aggressor or something with less center tread for the summer and hard-packed fast trails. Cheers!

mtbr member
    I gotta ask, how are you measuring rolling resistance? All based on feel? Anybody actually done timed testing?

I have ran DHF, DHR2, and Aggressor in the back and I can't tell much of a difference at all in rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    One of the trails I ride often is a machine built flow trail, so hard pack and smooth. Last year, straba shows 200 runs down it, so have a good feel for the trail.

I've compared how much pedaling is needed to transfer the doubles. With a semi-slick, a tad of braking is needed to avoid overshoot, with the Aggressor, no pedaling is required, with the others some pedal strokes are needed, especially when the tire is new.

So, it's a seat of the pants "test," but noticeable and consistent. Yes, many other variables could influence it, but sharing what I've found. If there wasn't a good reason to swap tires, I'd definitely avoid the sealant mess!

I'd also note that rolling resistance makes much more difference the harder packed, smoother and flatter the trail is. So, how much it matters varies considerably based on riding surface.

mtbr member
    One of the trails I ride often is a machine built flow trail, so hard pack and smooth. Last year, straba shows 200 runs down it, so have a good feel for the trail.

I've compared how much pedaling is needed to transfer the doubles. With a semi-slick, a tad of braking is needed to avoid overshoot, with the Aggressor, no pedaling is required, with the others some pedal strokes are needed, especially when the tire is new.

So, it's a seat of the pants "test," but noticeable and consistent. Yes, many other variables could influence it, but sharing what I've found. If there wasn't a good reason to swap tires, I'd definitely avoid the sealant mess!

I'd also note that rolling resistance makes much more difference the harder packed, smoother and flatter the trail is. So, how much it matters varies considerably based on riding surface.
    Makes sense. I don't ride much that is hard packed or smooth so that explains why I can't tell the difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Lucky bastard! Cheers!

...you also have me thinking. I wonder if a knobby will have less rolling resistance across rough terrain (or even gravel) than a smooth tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Are you guys talking about the Exo casing or the Exo+ casing? As far as I know, the Assegai should not be available in exo+ casing, just the normal exo casing...?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you check the maxxis link above, you'll find EXO, EXO+, DD and DH.

mtbr member
    Lucky bastard! Cheers!

...you also have me thinking. I wonder if a knobby will have less rolling resistance across rough terrain (or even gravel) than a smooth tire.
    I don't think tread design plays that big of a roll once the terrain gets rough or soft for that matter. I think that volume plays a bigger roll in that regard. Bike Radar (I think) did a video on rolling speed where they compared 2.1s vs 2.3s on a variety of terrain. The 2.3s were faster almost everywhere except the really smooth stuff. I will see if I can find the video again.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    been waiting ages for the exo assegai to replace my dhf in the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by useport80 View Post
    been waiting ages for the exo assegai to replace my dhf in the front.
    Ditto

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

Got rocks?
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Ditto

Yup Iíll be even more excited when it comes in 2.6

mtbr member
    First ride on the Assegai DD MaxxGrip this week on Dakota Ridge / Red Rocks. My perception may be a bit skewed by having just added cush core as well but the grip was phenomenal compared to my usual DHF 2.5. I really liked the transitional grip on off camber rocks and the chunk and it still felt very confident on loose corners. Fastest time yet down a section that's gravel on top of hard pack with flat corners. The tire felt much more secure and gripped with only a slight lean than the DHF does. In harder corners I didn't notice any loss of traction due to the lack of clearing that the DHF has but time will tell as the trails become more dusty how the Assegai fairs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Yup Iíll be even more excited when it comes in 2.6
    Honest curiosity, the difference of width is about 3/32 of an inch between a 2.5 and a 2.6 tire. Do you think that little casing is going to make or break this knobby of a tire?

Got rocks?
    Volume is more what I like. 2.5-2.6 dhf you can see the difference

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobstopper View Post
    First ride on the Assegai DD MaxxGrip this week on Dakota Ridge / Red Rocks. My perception may be a bit skewed by having just added cush core as well but the grip was phenomenal compared to my usual DHF 2.5. I really liked the transitional grip on off camber rocks and the chunk and it still felt very confident on loose corners. Fastest time yet down a section that's gravel on top of hard pack with flat corners. The tire felt much more secure and gripped with only a slight lean than the DHF does. In harder corners I didn't notice any loss of traction due to the lack of clearing that the DHF has but time will tell as the trails become more dusty how the Assegai fairs.
    Why did you take the DD casing over the DH casing? Saves xou 30grams, so actually nothing with weaker sidewalls...

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Even though that's what is listed on Maxxis' website, I doubt that the 30gr difference is true.

The full DH Assegai is listed as 1346gr in measured weight on CC: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...tr-tire-27.5in

The DD casing should shave 100-200gr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well then someone should weigh the DD Assegai before putting on. I went with Exo+ DHF obly due to the reason the DD Assegai beeing so heavy...

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Yup, I'm with you. The DD Assegai is a heavy tire... that and its MaxxGrip compound probably feels porky on the climbs. I wish Maxxis would make more WT DD tires in the MaxxTerra compound. It would seem like a good compromise for an enduro tire. It's available for the Aggressor, and "available" for the DHR ii (https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=84160)

I can't wait to hear reviews about the EXO+, specifically on sidewall support vs EXO and puncture resistance vs DD.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    It seems like there's a couple new casing options on the DHR II:

https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-...-minion-dhr-ii

2.5 DD and that elusive 2.4 DD that's never been listed on its website before

mtbr member
    Actual weight wasn't important. I as well questioned the 30g saving listed on the Maxxis website and without order both tires / buying a scale, the DD fit my needs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by guylovesbike View Post
    Yup, I'm with you. The DD Assegai is a heavy tire... that and its MaxxGrip compound probably feels porky on the climbs. I wish Maxxis would make more WT DD tires in the MaxxTerra compound. It would seem like a good compromise for an enduro tire. It's available for the Aggressor, and "available" for the DHR ii (https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=84160)

I can't wait to hear reviews about the EXO+, specifically on sidewall support vs EXO and puncture resistance vs DD.
    Puncture resistance on Exo+ was really good, was shredding 4 days in finale Ligure and had no problems what so ever. Check my Instagram account for a short video from finale ligure shredding with Exo+

https://www.instagram.com/patrice_fuchs/

Cant say anything about sidewall support as I was running cushcore.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Great pace there! What pressure were you running front and rear and what's your weight?

mtbr member
    Spoke to Maxxis yesterday at Sea Otter. Exo couple months away still
    .smh

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Was running 1.2 bar front and 1.5 bar rear. I ran cushcore, but broke the carbon rear wheel anyway (using DD rear).... I weigh naked 74kg.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by guylovesbike View Post
    Even though that's what is listed on Maxxis' website, I doubt that the 30gr difference is true.

The full DH Assegai is listed as 1346gr in measured weight on CC: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...tr-tire-27.5in

The DD casing should shave 100-200gr.
    Its lighter than DH casing based on my very scientific hand weighting lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Well then someone should weigh the DD Assegai before putting on. I went with Exo+ DHF obly due to the reason the DD Assegai beeing so heavy...
    I've put my Assegai 27,5" DD MaxxGrip on the scales before mounting it

1197gr

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    So that would put the weight at 1000 for the EXO casing, 1050 for EXO+, 1200 for DD and 1350 for DH casing

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Okay nice thanks for the number. Curious for some more numbers. So far, Exo+ hold up well. Wondering if the maxxgrip Assegai in DD would outweigh the weigh disatvantage fromthe DHF EXO+

mtbr member
    I wish they made an Assegai in Maxxgrip EXO+ since I'd just be using it up front and there's not a big weight difference between the DD and DH casing anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    But we just learned the weightsaving is almost 150gr and not just 30gr so thats not just a minor weight saving

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    I never got the chance to compare, but I wonder how much of the drag comes from the added weight vs the sticky compound (MaxxGrip vs MaxxTerra).

Would using a Max Terra compound on the rear tire noticeably help on the climbs as more weight is shifted to that tire?

Got rocks?
    Just saw a video from sea otter and all the Maxxis guy said was will be out soon. He sure didnít sound very sure of himself tho.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was really excited about getting the Assegai in 29er DD instead of DH casing but now looking at the specs getting a tire 30grams lighter seems ridiculously lame. What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post
    I was really excited about getting the Assegai in 29er DD instead of DH casing but now looking at the specs getting a tire 30grams lighter seems ridiculously lame. What are your thoughts?
    Its a more supple casing. I didn't weigh it. But it feels lighter. In slick areas the maxxgrip is awsome. If you're in dry areas probably don't need it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GspotRider View Post
    DD should be 150gr lighter! See above for explanations

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thx

mtbr member
    Assegai in 29 DD Maxx Grip is 1299 grams on my kitchen scale vs. 1305 claimed by Maxxis. I suspect that the sheer amount of large knobs on this tire drives the weight, not the carcass.

Lack of MaxxGrip for EXO/EXO+ was a little disappointment for a tire that's all about having as much control as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well there goes my hope of DD beeing much lighter then DH... for me that means to stick with EXO+ DHF up front

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    So maybe then, the lack of wire bead on the DH assegai makes it not that much heavier than the DD casing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have weighted 2 assegaiís DD maxxgrip 29íers. 1269g and 1278g... not bad! this tyre is alot better than a minion DHF 2.5 exo maxterra. In the front i dont notice any more drag. Backed up by strava. Outright grip in corners is higher, and its less vague. On wet roots and offcamber it holds the line alot better. Braking is also improved. I can also compare against a michelin wild enduro front MAGI X and in the dry the corner grip is similar, but everywhere else, especially wet roots etc the assegai is alot better. It also is much more compliant and dampens the ride way more than the michelins. Great tyre!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Guessing like said above, weight largely driven by the knobs. The DD might be about the same weight as DH casing, but likely has a more supple sidewall so it'd conform a bit better. That said, I'm waiting for EXO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Real world weight of the DH version is quite alot more than advertised it seems, in this link you can see a german webshop that has weighted the assegai. Its 1425g ! Thats arround 150g heavier.

https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Reifen-Assegai-29-x-25-WT-3C-MaxxGrip-TR-Downhill

https://r2-bike.com/MAXXIS-Reifen-As...ip-TR-Downhill

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Is EXO+ coming on the Assegai? Because on the europe site, I cant find anything about it...?

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Yes, it's coming. Head over to the global Maxxis website and you should be able to see it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Wonder if it will be available in europe

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So far you can only find them at sea otter (1:00)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dupeOarrXyw

Oh, So Interesting!
    I had 3 29" Assguys in DH casing, all were about 1420g.

I am pissed Maxxis didn't make the Assguy or DHF Maxxgrip in Exo or Exo+, they do in 27.5" size for DHF.

I might go with the DD Assguy but also considering other tires like Vittora Martello in 2.6, WBT Verdict and Hutch Griffus but I don't think any of those are available yet... There are lots of new tires on the horizon and Maxxis might lose some business by not providing a midweight sticky compound 29 x 2.5" front tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm enjoying the 2.6 DHR II at the front. Would probably go nice at the rear too but now I can pair my 2.5 DHF at the rear with it, which I am not a fan of at the front. DHR-DHF at the front-back respectively wasn't a great option before because there was no 2.5 DHR nor 2.4 DHF to pair with the existing 2.4 DHR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    I had 3 29" Assguys in DH casing, all were about 1420g.

I am pissed Maxxis didn't make the Assguy or DHF Maxxgrip in Exo or Exo+, they do in 27.5" size for DHF.

I might go with the DD Assguy but also considering other tires like Vittora Martello in 2.6, WBT Verdict and Hutch Griffus but I don't think any of those are available yet... There are lots of new tires on the horizon and Maxxis might lose some business by not providing a midweight sticky compound 29 x 2.5" front tire.
    Iím staring at a Vittoria Martello 29x2.6 right now. Just arrived at my shop today, so they should be widely available shortly.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Iím staring at a Vittoria Martello 29x2.6 right now. Just arrived at my shop today, so they should be widely available shortly.
    Nice! That may be my next front tire. Thanks very much for letting me know you have one.

Can you give us more info? Actual weight, sidewall burlyness vs Maxxis EXO and DD, volume, overall impressions...

Did you get it from QBP or ???

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Assegai in EXO should be available in a week in the US. Max Tera compound. Buddy that owns a shop has it on order with inventory on the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    Assegai in EXO should be available in a week in the US. Max Tera compound. Buddy that owns a shop has it on order with inventory on the way.
    Nice

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    MaxxTerra is behind the competition. Doesn't seem to last longer vs MaxxGrip as the side knobs tear/undercut at the base more. Doesn't have the same grip on slippery surfaces.

Maxxis is dropping the ball on a mid weight 29" front tire with sticky rubber. Schwalbe Addix soft is much better vs MaxxTerra and lasts a lot longer.

mtbr member
    I agree. I'd like to see an Assegai in Maxx Grip EXO+.

mtbr member
    My DHF Maxterra 3C in the back is wearing out stupid fast. I will probably go back to a dual compound after this. On my second Maxxgrip up front. They wear out pretty quick too but for a front tire traction is priority number one.

The Assegai not being available in Maxxgrip Exo or Exo+ may kill it for me.

Oh, So Interesting!
    My DHF Maxterra 3C in the back is wearing out stupid fast. I will probably go back to a dual compound after this. On my second Maxxgrip up front. They wear out pretty quick too but for a front tire traction is priority number one.

The Assegai not being available in Maxxgrip Exo or Exo+ may kill it for me.
    I have Asseigai Maxxgrip and DHF MaxxTerra, wear between the two is different, but fairly even. DHF center knobs look nearly new when sideknobs are getting undercut badly. Assegai wear is more even without so much undercut.

For a rear tire I'm going to try the new Hans Dampf Addix Soft, Supergravity casing. Maxxis Dual is horrible when wet and/or on slippery surfaces... my current Aggressor DD has horrible climbing traction when wet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    I have Asseigai Maxxgrip and DHF MaxxTerra, wear between the two is different, but fairly even. DHF center knobs look nearly new when sideknobs are getting undercut badly. Assegai wear is more even without so much undercut.

For a rear tire I'm going to try the new Hans Dampf Addix Soft, Supergravity casing. Maxxis Dual is horrible when wet and/or on slippery surfaces... my current Aggressor DD has horrible climbing traction when wet.
    I had a DD Aggressor in the back for a bit before the 3C DHF that I am running now. Climbing traction in softer terrain was a little lacking but not so much that it was a deal breaker for me. I rarely ride in the wet though. I also have to assume that the DC DHF will have more traction climbing than DC Aggressor. I am not overly worried about rolling resistance as most of what I ride loose and rough so tread design doesn't have much effect from my experience.

As far as the Assegai not being available in a EXO Maxxgrip goes, maybe there wouldn't be much of a difference with Maxterra as the side knobs on both seem equally soft. Especially if the Assegai side knobs bite harder than the DHF side knobs as someone stated above. Maxxis claims otherwise but who knows....

mtbr member
    World Wide Cyclery posted today pics of..

29 x 2.5 maxterra exoplus
    27.5x2.5 maxterra exo

Tag said available soon....

Yeti Cycles sb45c/sb150

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagonger View Post
    World Wide Cyclery posted today pics of..

29 x 2.5 maxterra exoplus
    27.5x2.5 maxterra exo

Tag said available soon....

Only a few more months to go! LOL

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I spoke to a Maxxis rep at a festival today, they said the EXO Assegai will show up in shops over the next two weeks, it'll be MaxTerra.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    my shop just ordered one for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YaGwI7GjlA
    Tomorrow i expect review! ;-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ridden the DH & DD casing prior to this so I honestly donít expect anything but disappointment due to the softer sidewalls & MaxxTerra instead of MaxxGrip. But, Iím gonna try it out with an open mind and mainly compare it to the DHF 2.5 EXO.

mtbr member
    Anyone been able to locate one on the intrawebs yet?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Marin County, CA

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Anyone know when Assegai EXO Casing will be Released?-4760bcb7-be75-4dde-b3a5-e24bbcd79e6a.jpgAnyone know when Assegai EXO Casing will be Released?-3a1e500c-a7bb-4415-9b73-bf4b1e75b640.jpgI just got mine delivered from Australia 2 days ago. https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/maxxis-...wheel-size=103

mtbr member
    May 2019
    These are the 29x2.5 120TPI Maxx Terra EXO+

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I mounted a DH to the front last week. Rolls about the same as the Magic Marry SG VertStar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    First impression; buy the DH or DD instead of the EXO if you gonna ride something that actually acquire the amount of grip youíre looking for in this tire. The thinner casing plus the harder rubber ruins the party if youíve tried the other versions..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti83 View Post
    First impression; buy the DH or DD instead of the EXO if you gonna ride something that actually acquire the amount of grip youíre looking for in this tire. The thinner casing plus the harder rubber ruins the party if youíve tried the other versions..
    Are you running EXO or EXO+?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Perfect! For front duties I certainly dont need a tire heavier than that.

From those who've rode this tire, with seemingly more and tighter spaced knobs, would it be fair to say this tread pattern grips better than the likes of DHF and DHRII on firmer conditions (early season hardpack to slightly loose)? I'm thinking the transition knobs might make it superior on berms too, where "effective" lean angle isnt so great...in theory anyways?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Knyfzedge View Post
    The Aggressor will be able to hookup pretty well on rocky climbs. But then again, what doesn't? For terrain that's too loose for an aggressor I like the Der Baron at the back, though both the dhr and the dhf will also be foolproof there. It's a matter of match... When I'm able to get an EXO assegai I may use it with the 2.5 dhf at the rear for brand and size match. The Der Baron has a comparable size though, and it's also an option I consider for the front, as is the dhr. I just don't like the comparatively small size of the dhr, even though it still grips better at the front than larger tires such as the dhf 2.5. I will be retesting the dhf as soon as the weather allows, to see if I can cope with its driftiness. One tire I tried that surprised me was the Kenda Hellkat. Superb weight/rolling resistance/grip/casing resistance combination, and even for grip in absolute it stands in a very good position. I mean the atc version, there is another one that is even grippier and also more reinforced.
    Not to derail topic, but I concur with your assessment of the Kenda Hellkat. I have been blown away by this tire...absolute velcro on early season trails...it's light yet strong. Little shallower corner knobs compared to Minions, so I will again compare to DHRII once trails are a mid-summer mess.

mtbr member
    So, would you say the EXO 3C Maxxgrip 2.5 DHF is a better front option? I believe it is only available in 27.5 but that is what I am running currently and it works pretty well. Been contemplating trying an EXO 3C Maxxterra 2.5 Assegai but I am a bit bummed they aren't offering EXO Maxxgrip Assegai options.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by RAG2 View Post
    Not to derail topic, but I concur with your assessment of the Kenda Hellkat. I have been blown away by this tire...absolute velcro on early season trails...it's light yet strong. Little shallower corner knobs compared to Minions, so I will again compare to DHRII once trails are a mid-summer mess.
    I rode with a fantastic rider in Spain who was running Hellkats 2.6 front & rear and loved them on the local loose terrain. I'm going to try the ETC EC 27.5 x 2.6 shortly as a front. I'm bummed that they don't seem to offer the stronger sidewall option yet, except in wire bead.

Got rocks?
    Jenson USA has the 27.5 Hellkat with AEC casing is that what you talking about?

Bodhisattva

Yes. AEC, which looks to be the sweet spot. Available May 31, per Jenson. Perhaps....

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Apologies again for the derail; my plan is to run the Hellkat 2.4 ATC for all-around use, especially while up up here in Idaho for next 2 months where trails aren't super rocky, and the the Assegai 2.5 when I get back to my rockier SoCal trails for a little more dampening.

But to the question, I am using/loving the Hellkat ATC...it reportedly is around just 900 g (29er), and yet I feel no folding or squirm. And I've had some very successful enduro runs on Strava...so I've pushed them hard. But I'm just 150lbs too. Heavier riders probably need the AEC casing for this kind of use. But magazine reviews, though limited, seem to indicate there might actually be something to their sidewall magic.

Bodhisattva
    I see 27.5 WT Assegai in EXO, Maxterra on BTI in stock. Does anyone know if there are plans for 27.5 WT in EXO+ ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am using/loving the Hellkat ATC...it reportedly is around just 900 g (29er), and yet I feel no folding or squirm.
    I weighed my 2.4 29" ATC at only 844 grams... The weight alone can cause some distrust but I have had no problems so far. That carcass has also been holding up fine through many a rocky descent on the 2.0 Kenda Kozmik Lite II Pro's I have on my fully rigid bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Good advice, thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Ridden the DH & DD casing prior to this so I honestly donít expect anything but disappointment due to the softer sidewalls & MaxxTerra instead of MaxxGrip. But, Iím gonna try it out with an open mind and mainly compare it to the DHF 2.5 EXO.
    Bingo. Please let me know how it compares to DHF 2.5 EXO. I get it, that it wont have grip, protection and dampening as the DD or DH casing, but for a bike that needs to be pedaled to the top, I'll take that compromise. I might pick up DH version for lift-served trips however.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Knyfzedge View Post
    I weighed my 2.4 29" ATC at only 844 grams... The weight alone can cause some distrust but I have had no problems so far. That carcass has also been holding up fine through many a rocky descent on the 2.0 Kenda Kozmik Lite II Pro's I have on my fully rigid bike.
    Wow. I need to weigh mine. If that's the case, this tire is even better than I thought...the carcass seems to be as supportive as my DHRII 2.4 (which I did weigh, at 970 g). If you do much pedaling, I cant see beating this tire.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Taking the Exo+ to Moab this weekend, will report back

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    For the ones that tried the new Assegai (EXO+), how it's compared to Magic Mary soft?

Also, for the ones that already having this tire, can you please measure it, im curious if its true to size...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy-Runs View Post
    For the ones that tried the new Assegai (EXO+), how it's compared to Magic Mary soft?

Also, for the ones that already having this tire, can you please measure it, im curious if its true to size...
    knob to knob is slightly over 2.5 on a 30mm ID rim on my EXO+ Assegai with an insert after it's set up. Slightly smaller than DHF's which usually measure 2.55 or bigger for me.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    knob to knob is slightly over 2.5 on a 30mm ID rim on my EXO+ Assegai with an insert after it's set up. Slightly smaller than DHF's which usually measure 2.55 or bigger for me.
    Hopefully it will be the same on my 30mm ID rim, coz the DHF 2.5WT is only 2.44in on my rim...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I think you're spot on in that it should be compared to the DHF 2.5 Exo MaxxTerra...

Any feedback yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phazedalx View Post
    Taking the Exo+ to Moab this weekend, will report back
    Well, any feedback?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Where are people finding the 29 EXO Assegai in stock? It's not listed on the Maxxis shop site, and my usual US websites have it listed as "backorder".

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I see 29 EXO+ in stock, but 29 EXO estimate shows October.

mtbr member
    I noticed in one of Fox's Dialed Videos from Leogang that Minnaar was running DHRIIs front and rear. Start watching at the 3 minute mark and you will see the rear. You get to see the front as he starts making his way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvERyffWCoM

Shartacular Spectacular
    I noticed in one of Fox's Dialed Videos from Leogang that Minnaar was running DHRIIs front and rear. Start watching at the 3 minute mark and you will see the rear. You get to see the front as he starts making his way out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvERyffWCoM

For the Leogang track it makes sense to run the DHRII: lower rolling resistance on a high speed track and the need for maximum braking power to reign it in quick.

FWIW Iíve got the Assegai up front on my DH bike and absolutely love it over the DHF. Sooo much grip everywhere at every angle. I havenít ridden it in mud yet and feel this is likely where the DHF has an edge given the knob spacing for clearing mud.

Iím not sure Iíll switch my trail bike over to the Assegai unless I had a bunch of park days planned for it. In my mind the DHF is likely a better all around tire for trail riding given itís mud clearing and reduced weight for climbing. Admittedly if I was racing my Bronson, Iíd probably give the Assegai exo another look for everything short of muddy tracks.
    The 18í SC Bronson C
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9, Float X2

18' SC V10
    Fox 40 w/Avy air/coil, WAO: The Outlier, i9, Avy Woodie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    For the Leogang track it makes sense to run the DHRII: lower rolling resistance on a high speed track and the need for maximum braking power to reign it in quick.
    That's where not copying the pro's comes in. Minaar isn't always running a tire for maximum all-around grip.

I like the DHF and feel comfortable on the trail with the whole transition zone thing. However, I ran it the last time I rode DH and while it performed well, I did find transitioning into steep dusty berms at high speed was pretty unsettling as the tire slid a bit before getting on the side knobs. I have a DD Assegai on order for the next time; which probably wouldn't be as fast in a race down that particular course as the DHF but as casual rider that doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    Not to argumentative but, wouldn't that describe the priorities on just about every DH track? Curious to see what he ran at the first 2 rounds now. With all the loose off camber stuff at Leogang I would have guessed the Assegai would have been the way to go?

Also, are you sure the DHRII is really faster than the Assegai with the Assegai tread pattern being closer together? I would certainly agree that the DHRII should brake a bit better but I don't see it being that much faster?

I have been tempted to try and Assegai up front. Trying a DHRII up front is tempting too. Been pretty happy with DHFs but that is all I have ever ran. Maybe I am only happy because I don't know what I am missing? LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BraaapTastic View Post
    I see 29 EXO+ in stock, but 29 EXO estimate shows October.
    Yup...I've been hearing they are way out. I dont get it.

mtbr member
    Not to argumentative but, wouldn't that describe the priorities on just about every DH track? Curious to see what he ran at the first 2 rounds now. With all the loose off camber stuff at Leogang I would have guessed the Assegai would have been the way to go?
    Leogang has that off camber stuff at the top but most of the track is open high speed sections. That's not the case for all DH courses. Some are going to be tighter, more technical, steeper and you'll see times that aren't as close because it's less about milking every 1/10th of a second from each corner and more about whose brave enough to touch the brakes the least.

My local bike park is Windrock and at my skill level, traction is all that matters. It's so steep there that low rolling resistance is the opposite of what I want. The rate you pick up speed on terrain that steep is pretty scary.

mtbr member
    Leogang has that off camber stuff at the top but most of the track is open high speed sections. That's not the case for all DH courses. Some are going to be tighter, more technical, steeper and you'll see times that aren't as close because it's less about milking every 1/10th of a second from each corner and more about whose brave enough to touch the brakes the least.

My local bike park is Windrock and at my skill level, traction is all that matters. It's so steep there that low rolling resistance is the opposite of what I want. The rate you pick up speed on terrain that steep is pretty scary.
    Fair enough. Hard to get a good read on a track watching on TV.

Still curious about how much faster the DHRII is over the Assegai. From my experience it takes pretty hard/smooth terrain to really get the benefits of a faster rolling tire.

I have watched videos of Horse Face at Windrock. That looks steep even on video.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    FYI - jenson USA has these in stock now - in all flavors. Just picked up a 27.5 exo+ to try out in lieu of my DHF 2.6 exo+.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    FYI - jenson USA has these in stock now - in all flavors. Just picked up a 27.5 exo+ to try out in lieu of my DHF 2.6 exo+.
    The exception is EXO 3C. That won't be out until October.

mtbr member
    I think it would make sense for Maxxis to just get rid of EXO in their Minions and more gravity otreinted tread designs and just make them all EXO+ or burlier. I don't see any reason to go with EXO over EXO+ in a Minion or Assegai.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The exception is EXO 3C. That won't be out until October.
    Ah.. yes if you are referring to 29". I didn't check all of those options. 27.5" you can get EXO (as of a few mins ago). Given the weight disparity, the Exo + makes more sense to me. I have been running Exo+ for ~ 450 miles front and rear (DHR/DHR), and have had much more success with avoiding sidewall and tread flats. Not 100% eliminated, but much better than EXO.

mtbr member
    I think it would make sense for Maxxis to just get rid of EXO in their Minions and more gravity otreinted tread designs and just make them all EXO+ or burlier. I don't see any reason to go with EXO over EXO+ in a Minion or Assegai.
    Gotta say I disagree with this man. Myself and a lot of friends prefer those gravity oriented tires on the front of our trail bikes and will take them as light as we can get them. I still think there is a place for the standard EXO casing. It would leave many of us looking for other brands, even though I understand in some cases the Exo+ weight penalty seems to be fairly minimal.
    Santa Cruz HT2

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Gotta say I disagree with this man. Myself and a lot of friends prefer those gravity oriented tires on the front of our trail bikes and will take them as light as we can get them. I still think there is a place for the standard EXO casing. It would leave many of us looking for other brands, even though I understand in some cases the Exo+ weight penalty seems to be fairly minimal.
    I agree with you.

I have one question regarding the Assegai 29x2.5 EXO and EXO+ both in Maxxterra... why the EXO is 60 tpi (1075gr.) and the EXO+ is 120tpi (1120gr.)
    will the normal EXO be too thin in 120tpi, and the EXO+ too heavy in the 60tpi?

At only 45gr. difference, and not considering the puncture protection issue, which one can be better in front of a 140mm trail bike?

Who really push hard these tires, already use some DH casing at 1.2/1.3kg. but as Maxxis choose to make also a trail version, why they don't produce an aggressor EXO 120tpi maxxterra as they do with DHF and DHR2?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    I guess the market will decide. Personally the 25-40g difference doesn't matter and the regular EXO casing is too flimsy.

Back on topic... I just picked up a DD Assegai. I was initially hoping for an EXO+ w/ Maxx Grip but I figured since I'll probably only run it at the bike park and very gravity oriented rides I might as well go with the heavier duty casing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Some people don't need anything more than EXO, be it from the conditions they ride (very few rocks), or riding style. I haven't flatted in like 5 years, even with Schwalbes (lol).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Some people don't need anything more than EXO, be it from the conditions they ride (very few rocks), or riding style. I haven't flatted in like 5 years, even with Schwalbes (lol).
    I realize that and after running both EXO and EXO+ I can't see any advantage with the EXO. I can't tell the EXO is lighter on the trail. I think it's splitting hairs to feel like you really need Minions but another 25-40g is a deal breaker. I swapped my DHR2 EXO+ for a faster rolling tire (e13 SS) for the rear for regular trail riding, even though I have an exo DHR 2 sitting in the garage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    After seeing the post, I ordered the (apparently) only 29 EXO they had (it was listed as out of stock immediately after the order)...should arrive today. Will post feedback if they actually shipped the correct one.

And yes, this is for my trail bike which doesn't get tossed into sharp rocks often, just to get rid of the DHF void as we roll into the "pebbles over hard pack" and powder berms of summer. I've been trying out the Specialized Eliminator - similar tread pattern, lugs just are not as supportive as the Assegai but they are quite fast, so will see how it compares.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    Ah.. yes if you are referring to 29". I didn't check all of those options. 27.5" you can get EXO (as of a few mins ago). Given the weight disparity, the Exo + makes more sense to me. I have been running Exo+ for ~ 450 miles front and rear (DHR/DHR), and have had much more success with avoiding sidewall and tread flats. Not 100% eliminated, but much better than EXO.

Got rocks?
    After seeing the post, I ordered the (apparently) only 29 EXO they had (it was listed as out of stock immediately after the order)...should arrive today. Will post feedback if they actually shipped the correct one.

And yes, this is for my trail bike which doesn't get tossed into sharp rocks often, just to get rid of the DHF void as we roll into the "pebbles over hard pack" and powder berms of summer. I've been trying out the Specialized Eliminator - similar tread pattern, lugs just are not as supportive as the Assegai but they are quite fast, so will see how it compares.
    Yeah Iíll be curious to hear your feedback

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Me too...let us know... also internal width of your rims... and a profile of the tire.
    As you said, i also have a trail bike, i dont race, and i like very much the front grip of a good tire. Dont ride in sharp rocks... normal trails, main dirt(soft and hard), roots and some rocks but not sharp.... nothing like "hard" enduro. Never cutted sidewall of 750/850gr. tires
    As already said, i'm a little scared of the too big channel/transition zone of the DHF, so the assegai EXO could be a good safe option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    They were as-advertised (29 EXO), got 'em mouted up, time to go get shreddy! 1068 grams

Anyone know when Assegai EXO Casing will be Released?-assegai_exo_weight.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I realize that and after running both EXO and EXO+ I can't see any advantage with the EXO. I can't tell the EXO is lighter on the trail. I think it's splitting hairs to feel like you really need Minions but another 25-40g is a deal breaker. I swapped my DHR2 EXO+ for a faster rolling tire (e13 SS) for the rear for regular trail riding, even though I have an exo DHR 2 sitting in the garage.
    EXO on my Trail bikes...never had a problem riding in blown out shale. Unless I pinch; than that's my fault.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    EXO on my Trail bikes...never had a problem riding in blown out shale. Unless I pinch; than that's my fault.
    I'm saying if they only offered EXO+, it would work great for all the people who like EXO and don't need anything more.

Got rocks?
    Exo has been great on the front for me, but I was gonna go exo plus rear next time if I went back to Maxxis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone have a chance to compare the Assegai to the new Vigilante 2.5?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Worldwide Cyclery has 29 and 27.5 EXO casing in stock for $60 shipped!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyguy19 View Post
    Worldwide Cyclery has 29 and 27.5 EXO casing in stock for $60 shipped!!!
    Each tire still says downhill casing, but I think they just havenít updated the description.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Jenson has them too. I picked up the EXO 3C. 29 version weighs 1150g on my scale.

Incredible grip so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Each tire still says downhill casing, but I think they just havenít updated the description.
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ion-wide-trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Right. It still says dual-ply downhill casing on that page.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    They were as-advertised (29 EXO), got 'em mouted up, time to go get shreddy! 1068 grams

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assegai_exo_weight.JPG 
Views:	494 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	1257891
    not bad at all. my 27.5x2.5wt weighed 1057

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Any thoughts on the Assegai EXOs versus 2.5 DHF EXO?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Any thoughts on the Assegai EXOs versus 2.5 DHF EXO?
    I've had mine for about a month. My short answer would be: they do what you'd expect them to do. They're heavier and roll slower, but they have incredible grip, which is also extremely consistent as you lean them over. I'm riding in dusty loose over hard NorCal, and since putting on the Assegai, I've never once felt like the front was sliding out. I did get 1 day at Northstar with them, and it was very confidence inspiring in the blown out corners. If I were to take the Assegai off, I'd probably put a DHR on up front instead.

Disclosures: I'm kind of a hack. Riding twice a week, avg. 2200 ft/ride. Paired with a DHR II WT MT rear, on 30mm rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I got mine at Jensen, amazing tire! Had it for 2 weeks.

Hitching a ride
    Just put on a 27.5 2.5WT EXO+ Maxterra 120tpi. Came in at 1130 grams, ouch. Especially for a front. On a 30mm rim the profile looks perfect. Casing is 2.35in at 25 psi. Lolz maxxis still sucks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just a warning to those with wide rims, I felt like my 29x 2.5 Double Down Assguy was a bit too squared off on a 35mm rim, but is just right on a 30mm.

Hitching a ride
    Agreed, 30mm max because the 2.5 is actually a 2.35.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Maxxis tires are designed around their max pressure. This has been explained over and over. Just pump them up and leave them over night a few times and they'll expand.

Really looking forward to peoples feedback on the Assegai.

Hitching a ride
    Maxxis tires are designed around their max pressure. This has been explained over and over. Just pump them up and leave them over night a few times and they'll expand.
    laughably wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    laughably wrong.

Comes from Maxxis and many other sources. Anyone on here can try it and see for themselves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The listed dimension is measured at max pressure. They will not be at that dimension once back to your normal pressures, so not sure why anyone would take the time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The listed dimension is measured at max pressure. They will not be at that dimension once back to your normal pressures, so not sure why anyone would take the time.

Not the case for me. Have two bikes, with different maxxis tires sitting around 23- 25psi measuring true to size. Heck my 2.35 DHF is measuring 2.4 now.

It was a grueling ordeal to inflate my tires and have them sit overnight. Barely survived it That being said, I don't think I notice much of a difference riding them.

Hitching a ride

Comes from Maxxis and many other sources. Anyone on here can try it and see for themselves.
    I have, with a few different models, over a few years span. The current assgais were at 40 psi for two days, still measure 2.35 at 22 psi. I've seen thinner casing tires stretch a little, about 0.05". Heavier casings, nah.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not the case for me. Have two bikes, with different maxxis tires sitting around 23- 25psi measuring true to size. Heck my 2.35 DHF is measuring 2.4 now.

It was a grueling ordeal to inflate my tires and have them sit overnight. Barely survived it That being said, I don't think I notice much of a difference riding them.

Don't know where you got your DHF but they come in 2.3 or 2,5 so you 2.35 that is really a 2.4 is a BS to me.

I have a few 2.35 120 tpi Maxxis XC tires that have stretched a bit but little to nothing with a 60 tpi or Exo+.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    2.3 my badÖ..

Recomended by Maxxis and so far it's worked for me. EXO and EXO+. Never had a DD. Others are feel to see for themselves. It's hardly too much trouble to try. Still stand behind what I said.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Really looking forward to peoples feedback on the Assegai.
    As a front it is awesome in the blown out dusty conditions or off camber. My new go to which previously was a shorty or Magic Marry!

I am running the DH casing on the front only with around 18 PSI.
    I weigh 170 and usually ride with my chin over the bars instead of centered.
    Alot of harshness has been removed from the bars even though my F36 is sprung for a heavier rider. .

Ride On!
    Just got my first ride with the Assegai 2.5 WT Exo maxterra's on the front. Was very surprised at how much it gripped on lose rock over hard lava cap, felt very confident heading into the loose stuff going dh and for short steeps. Not a huge difference from running the DHF 2.5 WT on the Ripmo which I used on two different demo's. Time will tell, but for this kid, it is keeper.

Hitching a ride
    The traction in the blown out dusty stuff is amazing, but we'll see how it holds up. I only have five hours on it. It's also nicely predictable and oversteers back when the front washes out.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dry, blown out are my local conditions. Pretty much have to drift everywhere. This sounds like an ideal tire.

Only thing that kept me from getting one, over a DHF, was rolling resistance. XC background, so I like to climb. Expect it to be slower than a DHF...how much more? Assuming max terra.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Has there been concensus on how the assegai exo and exo+ compare ride quality wise? Does the plus have a firmer feel, less conforming over rocks, etc. or do they ride pretty similar? The weight difference looks minimal for the extra durability they claim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Only thing that kept me from getting one, over a DHF, was rolling resistance. XC background, so I like to climb. Expect it to be slower than a DHF...how much more? Assuming max terra.
    We sometimes need to do around 2000 feet of climbing just to get to the primo flow trails. I was willing to endure how the DHF MaxxTerra rolls for the amount of grip I get on the downs.

Very interested to hear feedback on how different (slower? much slower?) the Assegai rolls over the DHF, in 2.5WT width.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    i dunno if it's me or if it's really super dry on my local trail, but i've had about 4-5 rides on the 2.5 assegai maxterra on the front, and today i oddly enough had 2-3 really bad front wash outs.

previously i ran a 2.5" dhf maxxgrip and rarely had issues like this. same 27.5 30mm ID rims, same pressures, 23-24psi. pretty much going the same speed as i always do, maybe a lil faster.

first big wash out was on a slight loose shallow berm turning right. this berm has always been really dusty and loose. after the wash out i slammed on my rear brake so i wouldn't' go over the berm and hit a tree, whew.

second big wash out was a flat loose left hand turn that i was going pretty fast(for me) and i managed to save this one too. i dont remember exactly, but i might've slightly used my rear brake prior. bike was pretty leaned over to the left on this one.

maybe im not putting enough pressure on the front wheel and perhaps a body position issue, which i'll have to figure out.

fox 36 fork:
    rebound was the same
    lsc was 12, i usually run 11-12 clicks out from closed. for the next ride, i'll probably change it to 11 clicks out to make it firm

x2 shock:
    lsr: opened up(faster, or to the left) from 15 to 16
    hsc: opened up(faster, or to the left) from 13 to 12
    hsr: opened up(faster, or to the left) from 10 to 12

anyone else have experience or comments about cornering with a dhf and assegai?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    dah I few rides now with a Exo+ Assegai on the front of my bike (SC 37mm ID wheels, Rimpact inserts). Mounting was easy, and the tire does not seem squared off even with the wide rims. Coming from a DHF 2.6 Exo + as my previous tire. Trails are typical SoCal summer: dry, loose over hard, moon dust (see US DH Open for extreme examples). Initial feedback:

It might be new tire syndrome, but I definitely feel more confident at any lean angle with the Assegai vs. the DHF (which I have run on multiple bikes). It seems more "locked in", less drifty, and also a bit more "precise". That could be due to the slightly less width, but I attribute it more to the knob layout. I also have never seemed to get along with the channel on the DHF. The drift zone was never 100% natural to me (great tire all around, but now that I have a comparison, I can identify that subtle distinction).

Rolling resistance is about the same. I can't really tell too much of a difference. I am running about 20 PSI which is similar or ~1PSI more than I had on the 2.6 DHF. I started at 22psi which bounced me around a bit more than I was used to. Dropping to 20psi solved that.

I have about 300 miles on my rear tire - a Specialized Eliminator 2.6, and though it's more drifty, the feel is similar. Traction throughout the lean angle. Very nice combo IMO.

Overall, very impressed with this tire so far. I can see why the reviews are mostly solid.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Here's a review from the North Shore guys:

nsmb.com/articles/maxxis-assegai-dd-exo-tire-review/

Was anyone lucky enough to snag an EXO or EXO+ tire in MaxxGrip?

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Was anyone lucky enough to snag an EXO or EXO+ tire in MaxxGrip?
    I'm confused... Maxxis' website doesn't even show an EXO or EXO+ MaxxGrip?
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 09-22-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    I'm confused... Maxxis' website doesn't even show an EXO or EXO+ MaxxGrip?

BTW: I've got a spare 29 x 2.5 3C EXO Assegai that I don't need
    On the nsmb review, the comments section mentioned that there was, indeed, an EXO MaxxGrip variant.

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Been liking the grip on the new Assegai's that came on the Ripmo but they throw so much crap that I might not be able to keep them on. I only ride in the Sierra's so the trails have tons of small rocks and sticks. On some trails, they're throwing rocks out in front of the bike and against the frame every few seconds. They've been picking up small sticks too and eventually one will probably get jammed and snap some spokes. I also just had a rock get jammed in the linkage. They're also slow, but that's a given for how grippy they are. It's a bit of a bummer because I really like the tires otherwise. I'll probably throw a DHR2 on the back and keep the Assegai on the front as my next step.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Or you could just use a fender...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    Or you could just use a fender...
    I have a fender that came stock on the DVO. It's pretty small though. I did think about a rear fender. Also might change just to gain some rolling speed.
    2020 Ripmo AF