Anyone gone tubeless with Bontrager AT-850 disc rims?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone gone tubeless with Bontrager AT-850 disc rims?

Has anyone gone tubeless with the Bontrager AT-850 disc rims? These are the rims that come on the Trek Cobia. I did a search and couldn't find anything. If you have gone tubeless what method(ghetto, gorilla tape, etc...), what tires are you using and how is it working out?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Just in case anyone else is thinking about converting these rims it worked fine. I used the Stan's conversion kit and Geax AKA tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

AT-850 Tubless Conversion

I did the conversion using 2 layers of light rim tape. Stans tubeless valve stems and Stans sealant. Used the Interloc/Panaracer Fire XC Pro 29 tires.

The bead sealed up quick but I had to use a compressor. I had to fight some leaks around the valve stem but the seal finally took.

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    To the OP. Which Stan's kit did you use? I have a buddy that wants to convert his wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMcjd View Post
    To the OP. Which Stan's kit did you use? I have a buddy that wants to convert his wheels.
    The ones I bought said standard 29er but it looks like they changed the names. Here is the new name for the one I used.

http://www.notubes.com/All-Mtn-29er-...p-P106C13.aspx

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Did it for a customer/friend last week just the way jsmith did: Double portion of stan's wide tape, orange seals valve stem, and orange seals sealant. WTB wolverine tires sealed up right away with a compressor and removed valve core. As a new rider he loves the set up.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Dont know if anyone still interested, but i did a guetto conversion on my front tire last week. Bought some light weight 26 in tubes with presta valves for 7 bucks a piece ( alittle pricey I know but didnt want to wait for shipping online). Got some stans and converted with the original tires (Bontrager 29-2) that came with the bike. It sealed great . Also used a hand pump with no problems( did not need compressor). Had to push down on tire all aroung rim and hold down at the valve while pumping but it worked. had small leaks aroung rim for awhile but layed them each side after shaking for about 30 mins and sealed. Leaving it over weekend to see if it stays inflated but after two days no loss of pressure. Hope the rear goes as well and easy.

Bike is 13' Trek Cobia 29er
    Last edited by Rdoactive; 12-16-2012 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Rdoactive - Any updates? Thinking about the same set up (same bike-love it!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    the front worked great. still holds air and have had no problems. run 35 lbs on the trail with great grip. tried to do the same on the rear and was a disaster. the rear tire had already been stretched out to much and would not hold a bead got stans everywhere. i decided to wait out the rear untill i wore it down. just replace it with a geax saguaro and did the same ghetto conversion. this time worked like a charm. sealed right up because the tire was still tight. now runny tubeless front and rear with the ghetto version and love it. just remeber to use lots of soapy water around the bead so it seals quick. let me know if you have any other questions.

and i also love the bike. best bike for the money by far.

mtbr member

I would try gorilla tape over the the tube conversion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Did the conversion with rim tape and valve stems. The tires came unseated a couple times and now I'm being told I should have the Bontrager specialized rim strips only sold through Trek to get them seated properly. My mechanic does it without a problem everytime while I find myself fighting with the compressor and the tire when I try. I think I'll just get the proper set-up and stop trying to "make it work". The expense sucks, but not riding sucks even more.

mtbr member

You probably should have used the stans rim strips not the tape. I have had zero problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I tried gorilla tape on the rear with geax saguaro and it would not seat to save my life. Very frustrating. I did the tube cut over rim conversion and worked like a charm on both front and rear. Saved some bucks that way. Will probably do the conversion kit from stans when I wear out the tires.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I have a '12 Marlin with the 850's and wanted to go tubeless so I searched and found this. I'll be ordering the kit from Stan's tonight.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    Avid BB7's w/HS1 rotors
    ODI Rouge grips
    Sigma BC1009 computer

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

rim tape question

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Just in case anyone else is thinking about converting these rims it worked fine. I used the Stan's conversion kit and Geax AKA tires.

Hello, I have the same rims (Bonty AT 850). Just noticed that the rims actually have a rims strip already installed. Does it have to be removed before installing rim tape (gorrilla tape or stans)?
    I am considering using Gorilla tape, Orange Seal or Slime Pro and Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires (standard non-Tubeless), as I already have the tires.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uberpedal View Post
    Hello, I have the same rims (Bonty AT 850). Just noticed that the rims actually have a rims strip already installed. Does it have to be removed before installing rim tape (gorrilla tape or stans)?
    I am considering using Gorilla tape, Orange Seal or Slime Pro and Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tires (standard non-Tubeless), as I already have the tires.

Thanks!!
    Yep. Remove the rim strips first.

Members who have read this thread: 4