mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Anyone else having terrible luck with these new I9 Enduro 305 rims?

First off, I'm a pretty big I9 fan. I've been running their wheels for a while and have had several sets. Other than some bearings blowing up in the hubs I've had pretty good luck. They've been pretty durable.

Up until I got these new Enduro 305 rims.

From an email that I sent I9:

1) These rims ding really, really easily compared to the previous 28mm rims. The only time I got dings on the old rims they were times where I really expected it and it seemed deserved. After a couple of weeks on these new 305 rims, my rear has all sorts of dings in it from impacts that I didn't think were anything all that bad.

2) These rims are an absolute nightmare to change tires on. I've tried multiple tires from Maxxis and Schwalbe. Where the old 28mm rims used to cause no drama when changing tires, these new rims are always a struggle fest at times requiring two people. The thing I hate the most is that it seems like the bead is so tight on these rims (with both Maxxis and Schwalbe) that when you do have to take a tire off or pop a bead off to change/put a tube in, the tire seems to actually be attached to the rim tape and it pulls the rim tape back with it when you push the tire off the bead. This then means that I need to retape the tires every single time I've ever had to remove or do anything to a tire with these new wheels. I've tried both Stans yellow rim tape and gorilla tape, it's really bad with gorilla tape maybe because it's a little thicker but tonight I had to change tires with Stans (my first time using Stans tape on these wheels), I was hoping I wouldn't have this issue with the Stans tape but it did the exact same thing.

3) I've been destroying tires with these rims. I'm getting pinch holes right along the bead of brand new tires. I've had to switch to running heavier tires like Schwalbe SuperGravity and Maxxis Doubledown to keep this from happening but I never had this issue on the previous rims. It's almost like what people complain about with super stiff carbon rims but this seems to go against point #1 that I mentioned above, the rims seem soft.
    Tonight I went to change another tire on them and when taking the tire off, it took the stans tape with it. Every single time I do anything with a tire on these rims, I end up having to retape them. I've never had this issue on any rims I've run before in my 15 some odd years of biking.

While I had the rim tape off, I snapped a pic of some really strange rim damage. I have 3 of these in different spots on my rear wheel. It might be hard to see in the pic but it looks like what happened is that the inside of the rim itself got dented in around the eyelet. You can see that something did contact the edge of the rim although it doesn't seem to be that hard of a contact because the rim is not badly dinged but for whatever reason, the middle part of the rim took some of the impact.

I'm mostly wondering if anyone else is having any issues like this. I've spoken to I9 in person at Crankworx and also to their support team via email and the response I get from them is that they've never heard of anyone having the issues I'm having and that I must be doing something wrong.

mtbr member
    I have a set of Enduro 305s and I've had very few issues, but I've been running ethirteen tires so maybe that's why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    That dent is from a rock sticking out of the ground punching the middle of the tire.

I can't speak for those exact rims, but the quest for width without increasing weight too much has made for some fragile aluminum rims. Companies have been removing internal reinforcements and making the walls thinner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    maybe it's just me and this is turning into a bI#U$fest for me but I absolutely hate these things and ranting makes me feel the slightest bit better. I haven't been riding the bike that they are on because I don't want to deal with rim/tire issues.

Today I went to re-tape them. For some stupid reason I9 decided to annodize (I think?) the inside of the rim. This makes it so that tape other than gorilla tape (I tried normal stans tape and blue 3M strapping tape) won't stick to it. I had to put a couple of layers of it just so that it stuck to itself. Then upon installing a brand new Schwalbe SG tire, the bead is so tight that getting the tire on ended up bunching up the tape and exposing spoke holes. Now they need another tape job. F%*$!!!! I'll just ride my other bike.

mtbr member
    I had a set of these on my riot for a year and loved them. I put about a 1000 miles on them plus 2 weeks of bike park duty a week at snow shoe and a couple weekends at wind rock. And I'm a bull dozer. Point shoot and plow through shit. Never had a issue with them. No problems with the tape or dings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with stupid
    I was just looking at these. I will keep a eye on this thread. A buddy of mine is sponsored by I9 and talking about how amazing they are and I started to drink the Kool-Aid but he is much lighter than I am by like 40lbs. After seeing this i have a few worries since I have been know to blow up a rim or two a season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is it possible that I got some defect rim? Raleighguy29, you had the 27.5 305s? And no issues changing tires? Literally every tire I've tried to do anything with on these has been a struggle fest including, Maxxis HR2 TR, Shwalbe Rock Razor, Schwalbe Rock Razer SG, Schwalbe Magic Mary SG.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Is it possible that I got some defect rim? Raleighguy29, you had the 27.5 305s? And no issues changing tires? Literally every tire I've tried to do anything with on these has been a struggle fest including, Maxxis HR2 TR, Shwalbe Rock Razor, Schwalbe Rock Razer SG, Schwalbe Magic Mary SG.
    I had the 29 version on my riot. No problems at all. I had a crash at snow shoe that was bad enough it should have destroyed the front wheel but instead I broke the top tube on the bike. I ran minions dhf and dhr2. I'm 225 or so geared and not light on the pedals at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I know what you mean about the not smooth surface of the anodizing making it hard for the tape to stick. My DT road wheels also have that finish.
    Sand it smooth. Then clean the surface with alcohol. (Sanding the finish may void your warranty. As dumb as that would be, they may tell you that)

turtles make me hot
    Scotchbrite. Not sandpaper.
    I like turtles

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Yeah. maybe. That type of anodizing is like a non stick frying pan though. Very fine sandpaper...

mtbr member
    What was I9's response?

They are a pretty awesome group of folks in NC and I can't imagine they won't respond with some thoughts.....
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by River19 View Post
    What was I9's response?

They are a pretty awesome group of folks in NC and I can't imagine they won't respond with some thoughts.....
    Just talked to I9, someone from there actually reached out to me on here and had me call him directly. They are definitely good people.

While it sounds like they think it's unlikely, they are thinking that I maybe got a bunk rim as well. They are going to send a replacement to my local shop to swap over. I'll report back once it gets here and gets re-laced.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Yeah. maybe. That type of anodizing is like a non stick frying pan though. Very fine sandpaper...
    I'll ask first if this voids the warranty but this sounds like a good call. The coating or finish on it is far slicker than any frying pan that I own.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Scotchbrite. Not sandpaper.
    Is this a common thing to do before taping? I have a set of the newer WTB rims waiting to be built up with the same/similar ano finish and just want to know if I need to scotchbrite/sand them, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is this a common thing to do before taping? I have a set of the newer WTB rims waiting to be built up with the same/similar ano finish and just want to know if I need to scotchbrite/sand them, too.
    I've never run into any rims that the tape wouldn't stick to before these but maybe it's becoming more of a common thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Just talked to I9, someone from there actually reached out to me on here and had me call him directly. They are definitely good people.

While it sounds like they think it's unlikely, they are thinking that I maybe got a bunk rim as well. They are going to send a replacement to my local shop to swap over. I'll report back once it gets here and gets re-laced.
    My wife and friends were down there riding last year and picked up some wheels she ordered, and my buddy picked up a set of 26ers while there.......the folks at I9 are some of the most solid folks we have encountered........good to hear they reached out.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429er Pro 1X
    2008 Cannondale Rush
    2001 Ibis Ripley Soft Tail
    1997 Ibis Alibi HT
    Motobecane Lurch Fat Bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I was just looking at these. I will keep a eye on this thread. A buddy of mine is sponsored by I9 and talking about how amazing they are and I started to drink the Kool-Aid but he is much lighter than I am by like 40lbs. After seeing this i have a few worries since I have been know to blow up a rim or two a season.
    I weigh 220 and I've used several sets of I9 enduros, both the older ones and currently the 305s, they've all had no problems for me. I've met folks that weighed 20-30 lbs heavier than I do riding steel hardtails with them, same report.

Their wheelsets are generally very durable, I expect the OP has an isolated QC issue.

mtbr member
    If after you tape your rim, you put a tube in it overnight, you won't have to worry about peeling those edges anymore.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    If after you tape your rim, you put a tube in it overnight, you won't have to worry about peeling those edges anymore.
    That's a good trick to know. Although it would require being able to get the tire on without destroying the rim tape. I got pretty pissed off this last time and gave up and took it to my LBS. Even the mechanic there struggled with it. He had to use gorilla tape because that was all that would stick and then he said it took him 3 levers and a bunch of struggle to get the tire on.

I asked him if he'd ever run into a tire/wheel combo that was this much of a pain to mount before and he said only 1 time with a WTB tire. He switched to a different tire and it was fine. But I'm having this issue with multiple different types from different brands.

I can't think of much else other than it being something up with this rim. The new one should be at my LBS soon and I'll get the wheel into them for a rebuild.

BC
    mtbr member
    Just got some of these wheels. I've never had a tire so hard to get on the rim (Maxxis minion 2.35, 27.5). After breaking plastic tire tool had to use metal (Smooth polished surfaces with no sharp edges.) One rim was OK, the other I damaged the rim tape causing leaks. I9 has been a great company to deal with in the past. My last set lasted 12 years (many spokes,bearing changes,broken pawls etc.) and are still rolling today. That was before they got into making rims. I love their product, I'm just going to have to take metal tire tools on the trail if I'm going to be able to fix a flat.

Keep on Rockin...
    Tuned in.

Yeah, CC seems great to deal with.

I'd have sent the wheels directly back to them for a look-see.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Want to say again that I9 customer service is great and they stood behind their product sending me a new 27.5 rim to lace onto my existing wheel. It was still a bit of a pain to put tires on and off that wheel however it seemed to be a little better than the one it replaced.

I've since changed bikes and am now on a 29er. To go with this new bike I got a set of the enduro wheels from I9. I've now swapped tires on these 29 inch I9 wheels and have had no drama at all. Tires come off easily with a slight pry from 1 tire lever and tires go back on by hand easily. They also air up tubeless very easily with no issues at all. I've used both Schwalbe and Maxxis tires on these new 29 wheels.

As best as I can tell, this may just be a problem with the 27.5 enduro wheels from I9. Using careful technique on those 27.5 wheels and making sure the tire is completely unseated off the bead and in the middle of the rim helps but it still seems like it's way harder than it should be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Thanks for this. I have had enduro for two wears with no problems, after many tire swaps the original tape went south. I ended up re-taping one of the rims with Stans 4 times, the tape would not stick. The sand paper trick saved the rim from "the pile". I have converted numerous sets to tubeless and this one rim was maddening. All better now. shayne

All fat, all the time.
    How much do you weigh and did you have enough pressure in the tire? Usually rim strikes means too low pressure for the weight of the rider and/or speed.

Glad they took care of you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have the same issue with dings and dents, mostly rear wheel.
    I owned the previous enduro, non 305 before and had no issues at all. Looks like the 305 have a softer alu or thickness. IDK, the only thing I know is that I spent $1200 and they are already trashed. I ride a Yeti SB5.5 with a 2019 Fox X2, I weight 175 and I run 32 psi on the DHF and DHR2. Will call i9 today to see if I can get a replacement. Iíll post a new thread with an update later.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Gorrilla tape is ok but for proper tubeless tape to set on these rims I had to use a heat gun on a low setting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Older thread but what valves are you guys using. I have a set of these and yes they are a pain to set. I've tried 2 valves and one try with stans, one with gorilla tape and I keep getting a leak around the valve.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I just got a brand new 27.5" boost set of these today. They came taped and with tubeless valves installed. I was able to mount my DHF and High Roller II without tire levers or really any fuss at all.

mtbr member
    29 305's here. Had read this thread Friday knowing I was swapping over a 2.4 DHR2 to a 2.5 DHF this weekend. Sure as crap, tire pulled off the I9 tape in about two spots where it was bad enough I knew it was a bad idea for the long term to leave it. Pulled it, cleaned, cleaned some more and tried Stans tape...NOPE, no sticky. Sanded down and got it to stick slightly...damn innertube sitting in there currently trying to get it right. In addition, getting the new maxxis rubber on and off was probably one of the toughest wheelsets I've ever experienced in tightness. You guys are on to something.

At minimum, this finish on the inside of the rim SUCKS for getting tape to stick. It appears porous.
    Santa Cruz HTLT