mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Are any tires are better than minions?

I run a DHF WT 2.5 3C/EXO up front and a DHRII WT 2.4 3C/EXO in the rear on Ibis 742 wheels (35mm ID). I live in Santa Cruz where itís steep and loamy. Not a lot of rocks. Honestly this setup is perfect for me, but Iím wondering if Iím missing anything good that I should be trying? DHF/DHRII seems to be the standard everything else is measured against, but nothing seems to beat it.

What about WTB Vigilante, Bontrager SE5, Maxxis Aggressor, Minion SS, e13 TRS??

Would love some suggestions if anyone thinks there are better AM/Enduro options for a 35mm ID rim than what Iím running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samo831 View Post
    I run a DHF WT 2.5 3C/EXO up front and a DHRII WT 2.4 3C/EXO in the rear on Ibis 742 wheels (35mm ID). I live in Santa Cruz where itís steep and loamy. Not a lot of rocks. Honestly this setup is perfect for me, but Iím wondering if Iím missing anything good that I should be trying? DHF/DHRII seems to be the standard everything else is measured against, but nothing seems to beat it.

Would love some suggestions if anyone thinks there are better AM/Enduro options for a 35mm ID rim than what Iím running.

There are definitely grippier tires that are more versatile than DHF. E13 TRSr is one and insanely grippy but doesn't work well on wide rims. I run it on 27mm iw and wouldn't use it on a wider rim, it's square.

I liked the SE5 better than the DHF as well. On 35 iw rims I'd go with a 2.6 in front at least. Might check out XR5 in 2.6 to save some weight.

Vigilante looks good but I can't get over the weight. I also ride in Santa Cruz and our terrain is pretty easy on tires (and pretty steep earning turns) so can't really justify the weight penalty.

Elitest thrill junkie
    No.

/Thread
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I'm with stupid
    For all around pretty much do everything except XC racing? I like the aggressor 2.5 in the rear to speed it up a bit when I am riding dry trails but that is about it. Minion does quit well in pretty much everything. Sure you will find a tire that is better for certain condition, but for just all around do everything well, it sure is hard to beat.

mtbr member
    That's an ungodly heavy tire combo for santa Cruz. I'd go WAY lighter. Kinda anything really.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    That's an ungodly heavy tire combo for santa Cruz. I'd go WAY lighter. Kinda anything really.
    Itís a compromise like anything. Sure you can go lighter, and save a half pound with another combo, but I rather make the compromise of more weight rather than worse performance.

But if thereís something that would perform as well and is lighter, Iíd love to hear what you have in mind.

I donít think the minions are overkill for SC, at least not for what I typically ride.

The last couple days Iíve been riding a shorty DD up front and an Assegai in the back - now thatís ungodly heavy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    There are definitely grippier tires that are more versatile than DHF. E13 TRSr is one and insanely grippy but doesn't work well on wide rims. I run it on 27mm iw and wouldn't use it on a wider rim, it's square.

I liked the SE5 better than the DHF as well. On 35 iw rims I'd go with a 2.6 in front at least. Might check out XR5 in 2.6 to save some weight.

Vigilante looks good but I can't get over the weight. I also ride in Santa Cruz and our terrain is pretty easy on tires (and pretty steep earning turns) so can't really justify the weight penalty.
    Iím tempted to try the SE5 and Iíll have a look at the XR5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    For all around pretty much do everything except XC racing? I like the aggressor 2.5 in the rear to speed it up a bit when I am riding dry trails but that is about it. Minion does quit well in pretty much everything. Sure you will find a tire that is better for certain condition, but for just all around do everything well, it sure is hard to beat.
    Agree. But I want to try the Aggressor this spring as you suggest.

mtbr member
    Itís a compromise like anything. Sure you can go lighter, and save a half pound with another combo, but I rather make the compromise of more weight rather than worse performance.

But if thereís something that would perform as well and is lighter, Iíd love to hear what you have in mind.

I donít think the minions are overkill for SC, at least not for what I typically ride.

The last couple days Iíve been riding a shorty DD up front and an Assegai in the back - now thatís ungodly heavy!

I run an ardent out back in sc. A purgatory works too, or a nobby nic. There's just so much pedaling, I think tires like that, out back, work so much better. It's not the weight, but the rolling resistance.

Are you exclusively shuttling? That would change things.

mtbr member
    The old Magic Mary was King (Queen??)...

The new MM, at least the 2.35's I've bumped into are not a lick on the old standard.

Ran the old MM on all sorts of trails & it never let me down.

Really like the new breed of Michelin tyres.

Wild AM is good all around out back.

One of their full on Enduro units would be worth a look.

On my FS rig, I run a Specialized Butcher Grid Gripton 2.6 w/ 2.5 Aggressor out back.

Nice combo for my local trails at the moment.

Almost pulled the trigger on a 2.6 XR5 ^^

Got a 2.4 WT Minion DHR II 3C Exo TR coming for the rear during cooler/damper months.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I run an ardent out back in sc. A purgatory works too, or a nobby nic. There's just so much pedaling, I think tires like that, out back, work so much better. It's not the weight, but the rolling resistance.

Are you exclusively shuttling? That would change things.
    No I never shuttle. Climb, climb, climb.

Yeah I think thatís right, itís the rolling resistance. My shorty/Assegai experiment really drove that home. They only added about a pound, but itís like dragging an anchor with the tread pattern and super grippy compound.

Maybe Iíll try something like a knobby nic in the back. I tried a butcher and didnít love it and I think the purgatory is similar.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    No I never shuttle. Climb, climb, climb.

Yeah I think thatís right, itís the rolling resistance. My shorty/Assegai experiment really drove that home. They only added about a pound, but itís like dragging an anchor with the tread pattern and super grippy compound.

Maybe Iíll try something like a knobby nic in the back. I tried a butcher and didnít love it and I think the purgatory is similar.

FWIW, I have run Minions for almost a decade. Typically in dry, rocky, rooty and hardpack terrain. They are awesome and they hold up for me reasonably well (unlike some other brands...).

That said, for whatever reason, the most recent set of 2.3 EXO MaxTerra DHF/DHR2s on my id 27 rims on my FS feel draggy AF (maybe it's an aging thing). For that reason, I went for a 2.5 EXO MaxTerra DHF/2.5 EXO DC Aggressor combo on my id 30 rims on my hardtail. Haven't tried it yet but swapping tires if I don't like it is an inexpensive venture.

Man - I will say this. If you climb, and I know you do, those E*13 tires will suck the soul from you. They are the product of the devil on climbs. The only thing good about them (apart from the downs) was when I ditched them, it felt like my bike was motorized when I went back to the Minions.

Ride On
    If one is looking to speed things up try the 3c Maxx speed or better the plain old DC compounds. The difference is significant. I rarely run a maxx terra in the rear anymore. A DHR ii dc is already damn grippy.

mtbr member
    E13 up front does everything better than a dhf except deep fine sand/dirt for me. Currently on Eliminator front se4 rear. I will say se tires are awesome. Wear WAY better than maxxis and don't weep sealant. Tougher and lighter is a rare thing in tires.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    E13 up front does everything better than a dhf except deep fine sand/dirt for me...
    I must have had a particularly satanic set. Or maybe it's the terrain. The E*13 is not well liked in my neck of the woods. It's not just me.

The Minion combo is definitely the benchmark here. And has been for quite a long time.

Those E*13s sit in the bargain bin at my LBS for $25 when guys rip them off their new bikes and replace them with Minions.

I honestly tried my hardest to like them. They looked sick on my bike...

Are any tires are better than minions?-fullsizeoutput_4d.jpg

Interplanetary Poultry
    I've been super happy with the Michelin Wilds combined with Cushcore. I found that I had to bump the pressure up in them to prevent squirm compared to the tires they replaced, which reduced grip. Adding Cushcore (they literally weighed exactly the same as inner tubes) allowed me to drop the pressure significantly without burping or squirm. Granted it's been many, many moons since I've been on a set of Maxxis tires.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Any of you guys running wider rims? Iíve heard the e13s donít work well on wider rims. I think someone mentioned that in this thread as well.

How about the se4 or se5 on 35mm ID rims?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Any of you guys running wider rims? Iíve heard the e13s donít work well on wider rims. I think someone mentioned that in this thread as well.

How about the se4 or se5 on 35mm ID rims?

My E*13 tires were on E*13 carbon 30 id rims (as above). They were wide and flat. Square. Maybe they would have been better on id 27s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I must have had a particularly satanic one. Or maybe it's the terrain. The E*13 is universally despised in my neck of the woods. It's not just me.
    And here you see them up front fairly often. I can't get a rear maxxis to last me. They undercut fairly fast and then performance drops way off. New they're awesome. Always on the hunt for a better tire...2.6 Eliminator up front is interesting. Turn in is very surefooted with the alternating transition knobs and seems to roll quite good. Need more time on it to form a solid opinion though.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    And here you see them up front fairly often. I can't get a rear maxxis to last me. They undercut fairly fast and then performance drops way off. New they're awesome. Always on the hunt for a better tire...2.6 Eliminator up front is interesting. Turn in is very surefooted with the alternating transition knobs and seems to roll quite good. Need more time on it to form a solid opinion though.
    I know the E*13s are very well liked on MTBR. I was very confused after trying them myself. I talked to a lot of guys after my experience and it was the same story. That's why I think it might be the terrain. Or maybe all the dudes in my area have been partaking far too much in the legal weed. That could very well be it as well.

I would say that it's probably not an optimum tire for the non-Richie Rudes among us. But if you can rock it on the ups, it has endless grip on the downs. Pit bull-like.

The E*13 combo left a big ring of salt stains on my jersey every time I rode anything with any sustained climbing (which is pretty much everything here). One night after a particularly strenuous ascent, we hit a pub after. I had no change of clothing. Peeps were freaking at my salt stain. I think I actually took a pic. It was a big ring that circled my neck across my chest. Crazy! I blamed those tires when I was questioned about it. It was a pretty major conversation piece.

mtbr member
    Or maybe all the dudes in my area have been partaking far too much in the legal weed. That could very well be it as well.
    Lol! Well I'm in Oregon, so

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Lol! Well I'm in Oregon, so
    The draft/kombucha self-serve tap combos in Oregon are almost as sweet as the DHF/DHR2 combo...

Are any tires are better than minions?-55b59a507f88c.image.jpg

Ok. Sorry for the diversion.

Minions vs the world... Carry on...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    The old Magic Mary was King (Queen??)...

The new MM, at least the 2.35's I've bumped into are not a lick on the old standard.

Ran the old MM on all sorts of trails & it never let me down.
    You mean the old Muddy Mary? Now THAT was a tire!!! I'm rather shocked that Schwalbe went away from the Muddy Mary/Big Betty combo as that actually WAS better than the DHF/DHR because it rolled faster (both had about the same grip).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Trying to be helpful
    WTB Vigilante 2.5 or 2.6 Tough /HG front and Judge 2.4 Tough /HG rear.

Sent from #THELEGENDMTB using Tapatalk on an iPhone
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The nice part about the DHF is it's versatility, it does fairly well in MOST conditions and trail surfaces. I've also found it to wear real evenly and nicely, although my last 2.5 started cracking at the side knob base well before the center tread was close to being worn.

I've tried the Magic Mary and found it underwhelming, I read a lot of folks here say that it'd blow up to the same size as a DHF 2.5WT, but that was not my experience at all. It was 4-5mm narrower at the knobs and casing. It's definitely larger than the 2.3 DHF, but I was not impressed with it's performance outside of mud. I felt like the DHF gripped wet roots and rocks better, even.

I've been running a Vigilante 2.5 for a while now, I really like it but it does not do well on hardpack, it gets really squirmy cornering where the DHF holds a bit better in corners. Aside from that, I like it better than the DHF in every way.

Barely in control
    The current WTB treads look like the old Muddy Mary.

mtbr member
    I just ordered an ethirteen TRS Race for the front. I've been running dual EXO DHR2's but find myself wanting more traction up front for the occasional DH riding. I'm hoping the e13 up front with the DHR2 out back strikes a good balance of rolling resistance with enough traction for extreme riding conditions.

I thought about waiting for the Assegai to come out in EXO+ but it's even heavier than the e13 trs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    The nice part about the DHF is it's versatility, it does fairly well in MOST conditions and trail surfaces. I've also found it to wear real evenly and nicely, although my last 2.5 started cracking at the side knob base well before the center tread was close to being worn.

I've tried the Magic Mary and found it underwhelming, I read a lot of folks here say that it'd blow up to the same size as a DHF 2.5WT, but that was not my experience at all. It was 4-5mm narrower at the knobs and casing. It's definitely larger than the 2.3 DHF, but I was not impressed with it's performance outside of mud. I felt like the DHF gripped wet roots and rocks better, even.

I've been running a Vigilante 2.5 for a while now, I really like it but it does not do well on hardpack, it gets really squirmy cornering where the DHF holds a bit better in corners. Aside from that, I like it better than the DHF in every way.
    How do you think the Vigilante would do on a wider rim like the ibis 742?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Iím tempted to try the SE5 and Iíll have a look at the XR5.
    Loamy soil doesn't need the stiff sidewalls of a SE tire. The XR Teams will be more flexible and you can use lower pressure to give you a bigger footprint. And that bigger footprint means you may get by on a XR4 for a bit faster roll. 35mm rims are no problem. They can take 40s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adodero View Post
    Like I said earlier... you must have had an Addix i.e. newer version of the MM...

The old Evo line blew up well beyond any other 2.35...

On my old GR2 the old 2.35 MM was 63mm across or almost 2.5 ^^

Google it & you'll see, these sorts of measurements aren't just hearsay.

The new Addix versions in 2.35 are more like 2.3 o_0

I'm guessing, that they wanted to sell their newer line of 2.6 - so they had to shrink the 2.35 a bit... so people will buy them.

For a sub 900g tyre the old 2.35 MM put all others to shame.

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Its all about the terrain you riding, my go to combo for all around-muddy-wet conditions are Magic Mary soft (front) and Hans Dampf soft (rear). For dry condition i would go with Hans Dampf soft (front) and Rock razor speedgrip or Nobby Nic speedgrip (rear).

mtbr member
    E*thirteen has also revised their tires, and not for the better IMHO. Original TRS+ were rounder; these are still sold as TRS Classic on their site. About a year ago they farmed their manufacturing out to Vee (I think) and while tread was mostly the same the tires got MUCH more square in cross-section. I have one of these on the rear of my bigger bike, and grip is very good Ďtill itís not (typical of square cross section).

Agreed the older Mary in Exo casing was amazing. My fave for a winter tire up front in the PNW, under 900g and rolling resistance was fine as a front. Bummer the Addix is a different beast.

Interested to try the Michelin Wild Enduro combo.

Peace & Love

thanks for posting!

just got new bike, havent hit trails yet, live near half moon bay (plan to ride in santa cruz too) so selfishly, post is timely for me i have front Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 WT MaxxTerra 3C 60tpi EXO TR, rear Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.3 MaxxTerra 3C 60tpi EXO TR

however, I notice Jayem says "no" and given he is a Homer legend, i may as well stop reading now

my friend, who got essentially identical bike, just got Maxxis Rekon 2.6 front, and Aggressor 2.5 rear looking forward to his feedback

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    E*thirteen has also revised their tires, and not for the better IMHO
    I'd agree with that. I liked everything about the original version better.

mtbr member
    E*thirteen has also revised their tires, and not for the better IMHO.
    Didn't realize this before I placed my order for TRS race. Should I just return it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Didn't realize this before I placed my order for TRS race. Should I just return it?
    I still had one on my bike before I replaced it with the Eliminator. As mentioned it's squarer and I think the old casing rode much better. With that it's still a damn good tire. I'd ride one again up front, no question.

mtbr member
    I've run the orig and the new TRSr tires and I like them both. The new version is slightly heavier and a bit more square mainly due to the shorter center knobs. Still the best cornering tire I've used as long as it's on a 25-27 iw rim.

Great article explaining the differences in good detail:
    https://nsmb.com/articles/ethirteens...tire-reviewed/

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Good article. I'm just going to run it.

Keep on Rockin...
    I must have had a particularly satanic set. Or maybe it's the terrain. The E*13 is not well liked in my neck of the woods. It's not just me.

The Minion combo is definitely the benchmark here. And has been for quite a long time.

Those E*13s sit in the bargain bin at my LBS for $25 when guys rip them off their new bikes and replace them with Minions.

I honestly tried my hardest to like them. They looked sick on my bike...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_4d.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	1237251
    That bike right there... I'd buy it on looks alone. Really sharp, mean lookin' mosheen.

I believe it's a Norco Sight ? and have thought more than once about getting one for myself.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    That bike right there... I'd buy it on looks alone. Really sharp, mean lookin' mosheen.

I believe it's a Norco Sight ? and have thought more than once about getting one for myself.
    Wow. Thank you so much.

Yes. Itís a 2018 29er Sight. I built it with the on-site bike builder app.

Itís a lot slower than my 2015 Range it replaced but itís probably what I should have been on from Day 1. Among other things, the suspension is tiiiiight. No more Pike wallowy bullshit. This is what the Range looked like (27.7 lbs with pedals and Minion rubber):

Are any tires are better than minions?-fullsizeoutput_1d.jpg

I changed a few things on the Sight since that pic. Most notably I replaced the Reverb with a Transfer, the E*13 wheels with a We Are One Insider wheelset, and the E*13 tires with Minions. Not sure aesthetically how I did, but on the trail, all those changes have paid dividends.

Are any tires are better than minions?-fullsizeoutput_73.jpg

Are any tires are better than minions?-fullsizeoutput_4f.jpg

This is the latest obsession:

Are any tires are better than minions?-fullsizeoutput_9f.jpg

Thanks again.

Got rocks?
    Iím pretty stoked with my 2.6 vigilante/2.6 trailboss so far. I like the profile better for how I ride. I wasnít overly excited with the 2.5/2.4 variants of dhf/dhr2. On the fence about the Vigilantes Resitance as itís been cold and windy on the only two rides Iíve ridden it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    Iím pretty stoked with my 2.6 vigilante/2.6 trailboss so far. I like the profile better for how I ride. I wasnít overly excited with the 2.5/2.4 variants of dhf/dhr2. On the fence about the Vigilantes Resitance as itís been cold and windy on the only two rides Iíve ridden it.

There's no way that things getting clogged up o_0

**or rolling with any great pep**

'Born to ride!'

mtbr member
    Vittoria Martello, i wont be going back to minions
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by desertwheeler View Post
    The WTBs are good looking tread patterns for sure, and Iíve had good luck with them. I just canít get over how much they weigh. Your combo is like 2500g of rubber! I donít mind a bit of weight in exchange for toughness, but I wish they had a lighter carcass (Apex or some such).

Got rocks?

Are any tires are better than minions?

Honestly I had a 2.8 slaughter grid on the back before this and I actually felt faster with the TB when I put it on. I was concerned about weight but I figured Iíd try them anyways. I donít think they have slowed me down, I know the cold wind has so when I get to ride on a good day that will be a better test. Iím not a strong rider so I notice slow rolling tires. I tried a 2.8 DHR2 that thing felt like an anchor!
    The vigilante replaced a 2.8 dhf and I canít make a call on rolling resistance until a non windy day. As my legs were cold the entire time and fought the wind. It felt like it had more resistance but I was struggling in the cold.
    I went light/high Grip front, light/fast rolling rear and they felt a hair stiffer and thicker than the exo and grid tires I took off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've used 2.5DHF's a bunch, but have switched to a 2.35 HD soft/2.35 NN speedgrip. Also on 35mm Ibis rims. The HD's in particular run big on that rim, so I get a 2.5" tire at a significant weight reduction. Good grip, maybe not quite as bomber as the DHF, hard to tell a little since I only change tires about once a year. I love the way the bike (Intense Spider) feels so quick and nimble with the lighter weight. Good round profile on the big rims as well.

mtbr member
    I have an Eliminator on the back and am pretty impressed so far. It seems to grip as well as a DHRII, but rolls much easier.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Interested to try the Michelin Wild Enduro combo.
    Should work well as long as it stays soft & wet, but once it dries out and the trails get packed down the durability is questionable.
    Wear rate goes through the roof and the knobs start undercutting or tearing pretty quickly.

mtbr member
    Anyone else here try the Hellkat/Nevegal 2 combo? I'm a bit of a tire whore and of all the tires I've been on, these are some of the best. The Hellkat sticks to anything and everything while the Nevegal is a fast rolling excellent rear. I've only got about 10 rides on them so far so durability is still to be determined, but so far very impressive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gigi View Post
    Anyone else here try the Hellkat/Nevegal 2 combo? I'm a bit of a tire whore and of all the tires I've been on, these are some of the best. The Hellkat sticks to anything and everything while the Nevegal is a fast rolling excellent rear. I've only got about 10 rides on them so far so durability is still to be determined, but so far very impressive.
    No but the Hellkat looks interesting. Any idea of the hardness of the RSR compound?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    No but the Hellkat looks interesting. Any idea of the hardness of the RSR compound?
    I'm actually running the ATC casing, which only comes with the "dual compound". That said, it's pretty soft to the touch, though not as soft as the Magic Mary Addix soft compound.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If anyone wants a new TRS Race in the original version, PM me. Itís 27.5.

Iím a little surprised about the comments about the 2.35 Magic Mary being small. Mine is Addix and it measures 2.47 on a 28mm rim.
    Last edited by tadmcmichael; 4 Days Ago at 07:09 AM.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    DHF is awesome. I am using DHF 2.5 WT rear, and a Shorty 2.5 WT 3C front. But come summertime the MAXXIS tires come off for my favorite: Vittoria Goma Front / Morsa rear. I have yet to try the Martello.

2x is underrated
    I don't think so...I have 3 Minons right now on 2 bikes (2.7, 2.8, 2.5), the other tires are Rekon 2.6, CST 2.4, CST 2.25, and Kenda 1.95 hybrid for pavement. I like the CST's also but they are not tubeless ready. Who cares if the Minions weigh more, they cut my crashes down to almost nothing. Besides racing, I don't understand why anyone would want to compromise grip by saving 1/2 pound off the tire weight, just seems like inviting trouble.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I don't think so...I have 3 Minons right now on 2 bikes (2.7, 2.8, 2.5), the other tires are Rekon 2.6, CST 2.4, CST 2.25, and Kenda 1.95 hybrid for pavement. I like the CST's also but they are not tubeless ready. Who cares if the Minions weigh more, they cut my crashes down to almost nothing. Besides racing, I don't understand why anyone would want to compromise grip by saving 1/2 pound off the tire weight, just seems like inviting trouble.
    you are so silly Rich...the reason is obvious; it gives one a chance to post on MTBR how much weight they save from their infinite wisdom. Who cares that the average rider weight here is probably 230+ and doesnt race and its irrelevant.

Perpetual Hack
    You want more, we give you more...

Are any tires are better than minions?-assegai.jpg

AssGuy - DD version now available

...although this still may be too much in both traction and pedaling.

Match with a DHR2 both in full DH casing and my big bike is very happy.
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    My issue with the Minions are the available configurations between the flimsy exo casings and the DH casings. I'd like something like a 29x2.5 1100g DHF in Maxx Grip in the front and a 2.4 DHR2 DD Maxx Terra in the rear... So I bought an ethirteen TRSr for the front. I might try the DHR2 in the exo+ casing at some point.

mtbr member
    ^ Bontrager SE has that nice middle ground casing. 2.4 SE4- 920G, great rear tire. Not sure what the SE5 weights for a front are though. An exo casing will start weeping sealant after 1 hard ride for me. At that point light tires are a moot point.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Is weeping sealant bad? My tires out of nowhere will have wet spots along the wheel (in the tread area, not the sidewalls). I've been riding like that for a year now

These are Maxxis Exo HR2 and Minion SS in the back. Looking for a change. I'm light and not super aggressive either.

mtbr member
    Once sealant penetrates/permeates your tires casing you no longer have a light casing tire. Hence light casing tires that weep being pointless.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    You want more, we give you more...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Assegai.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	1238684

AssGuy - DD version now available

...although this still may be too much in both traction and pedaling.

Match with a DHR2 both in full DH casing and my big bike is very happy.
    Best grip monster ever! Cant wait till they decide to do a DUal compound DD for me to use in the rear with maxx grip DD front

Got rocks?
    Anyone know when the assegai is gonna be available in exo Maxx terra? I want to try this tire!