Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?

Like the title says -- has anyone received and ridden the new Onyx Vesper rear hub? any reviews anywhere?

Onyx is being really quiet and the only info is from NOBL.

Nat
    mtbr member
    From my email: "orders will start shipping to us the first week of June. We have them set to ship out express in order to get them as soon as we can."

It should be any day now. I'm all excited.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Waiting...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I have them on order with my LBS and Derby rims, can't wait! I was told they might arrive this week but that didn't happen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I called them last week. Long story short, the hubs aren't out yet. They ran into manufacturing delays. Shooting for end of June now I believe.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm over it.
    Going with 321s again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I'm over it.
    Going with 321s again.

The new I9's with a tiny bit of Dumonde Tech Pro X grease are nearly dead quiet (Cannot hear them on the trail at all), and the engagement feels instant. Identical to Onyx. Big difference from Torch's IMO.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    The new I9's with a tiny bit of Dumonde Tech Pro X grease are nearly dead quiet (Cannot hear them on the trail at all), and the engagement feels instant. Identical to Onyx. Big difference from Torch's IMO.
    Whoa, really? I'd like to hear more. Is that something that requires maintenance to keep quiet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ahkim View Post
    Whoa, really? I'd like to hear more. Is that something that requires maintenance to keep quiet?
    I just put them on my DH bike (after running multiple sets of torch's over the years). So far I only have one super dusty park day on it and it's still dead quiet. I literally used a tiny dab of grease. I'm headed to Whistler next week where I'll get a better idea of how long it lasts. I'm going to add some to the Torch's on my trail bike to see the difference as well. So far I'm super impressed. The Hydras without the grease are definitely more quiet than Torch's even and the engagement difference is very noticeable.
    Denver, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Really glad I went Hydras vs. waiting - I've been riding them for a month, they're lighter, and the sound level and engagement are great. I haven't taken the step to grease them yet - I don't like the angry bee thing and found Torches pretty obnoxious, the Hydras are much less intrusive.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    Really glad I went Hydras vs. waiting - I've been riding them for a month, they're lighter, and the sound level and engagement are great. I haven't taken the step to grease them yet - I don't like the angry bee thing and found Torches pretty obnoxious, the Hydras are much less intrusive.
    I just saw this and it's pretty incredible what a bit of grease does to quiet it down. Watch at 1:58.

I'm going to talk with my shop to see how long Onyx is delayed. I like that I don't have to do anything with grease to get them to be quiet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Anything yet? End of June has come and gone!

Onyx Racing -- take my money!!

Nat
    mtbr member
    I got a ups tracking number today. Should arrive tomorrow!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    My LBS just told me that it'll ship next week, looking forward to some silent hubs with some wide Derby rims.

Nat
    mtbr member
    My three favorite words: "Out for delivery."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    My three favorite words: "Out for delivery."
    Post pics for the rest of us to drool over...............

Nat
    mtbr member
    It came in a nice box:

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-d530d9ca-62f7-43ed-8a9d-6f4722b44889.jpg

With some nice packaging:

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-2dc1feeb-ddd8-4a33-9984-647eeef1238b.jpg

There were some spare spokes, several stickers, and a T-shirt (the shirt went into the washing machine before I took a picture):

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-03d9fa41-cac7-4634-b2fb-7d733c599aa0.jpg

I ordered black chrome powdercoat finish. This looks like matte black to me but it looks sweet anyway.

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-a4f9e396-570d-4f38-a45c-119e48f4f1bd.jpg

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-59a2a55e-5024-4b5c-87d6-6918b40615a1.jpg

They came with valves installed. I like the little NOBL crown:

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-6f97da68-cb3f-4683-9232-f26ceba23ac9.jpg

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-c3656f6c-b425-4ad4-b306-316602963456.jpg

Iím waiting on some new Vittoria tires to arrive at before I mount everything up. I was originally planning to run a set of slightly-worn Maxxis tread that I already have but then I decided I just canít install old, dirty rubber on clean, new wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-4ed307bb-d64b-4e5f-898a-b35bd8722ffe.jpg  

Last edited by Nat; 07-03-2019 at 09:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Calling bullshit on this. Iíve got i9 Hydras and while greasing the pawls silences them for a short period of time, theyíre loud AF again within a few miles. They do engage super nicely, Iíll give them that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Calling bullshit on this. Iíve got i9 Hydras and while greasing the pawls silences them for a short period of time, theyíre loud AF again within a few miles. They do engage super nicely, Iíll give them that.
    Serious question out of my own ignorance, but aren't they pretty specific about which grease you should use for quieting them and still getting some longevity?
    Devinci Marshall Carbon 27.5+

Colorado Springs, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Did you use the same grease...curious about this because I am debating between the Onyx and Hydras, but I do not want a Hub that is too loud.

Would you say the I9 are louder than dt350(36t)?

Looking forward for a review of the new Onyx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    Did you use the same grease...curious about this because I am debating between the Onyx and Hydras, but I do not want a Hub that is too loud.

Would you say the I9 are louder than dt350(36t)?

Looking forward for a review of the new Onyx.
    I use the recommended Dumonde Tech free hub grease. Iíve also tried other greases with similar, if not worse results. Grease certainly quiets it down for a while, but it gets back to annoying levels in short order. Like under 100 miles and itís fully back to full volume. And Itís not just the volume, which isnít really that loud per se, but the character of the sound that gets to me. Itís a high pitched whine that my riding buddies have likened to an air raid siren.

I bought into the ďgrease quiets the Hydras down to almost silentĒ BS, and now Iím looking to sell them because the sound drives me nuts.

Anyone want to buy a set of Derby 35i 29Ē carbon hoops laced to boost centerlock xd hydras? Theyíre in good shape, the sound just pisses me off now that Iím addicted to silent hubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Serious question out of my own ignorance, but aren't they pretty specific about which grease you should use for quieting them and still getting some longevity?
    Yep and Iím using the recommended grease, the dumonde tech stuff. The pawls displace it and no longer run quietly in short order.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yep and Iím using the recommended grease, the dumonde tech stuff. The pawls displace it and no longer run quietly in short order.
    I've had similar experiences with my DT-Swss 350's. Clean them up, lube them up with the recommended lube in the recommended quantity and they are nice and quiet -- for 2 rides then they get noisy again.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks to all for sharing that the grease seems to be a temp fix. I'm glad I waited for the Onyx hubs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Test how they roll for us on the stand? Just a back spin test. They need to be broken in a bit first however.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    And Itís not just the volume, which isnít really that loud per se, but the character of the sound that gets to me. Itís a high pitched whine that my riding buddies have likened to an air raid siren.
    Your comment made me go look for videos. Holy crap, you're right. You could also say it sounds like a screaming baby. The torch has a high pitch too but it's muted by the buzz.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFhVy3H5gzg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Let's keep this thread on track and focused on Onyx....lot's of other threads out there on other hubs.

Nat -- any first ride impressions?

ahkim -- did you get yours yet?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec306 View Post
    Let's keep this thread on track and focused on Onyx....lot's of other threads out there on other hubs.

Nat -- any first ride impressions?

ahkim -- did you get yours yet?
    I'm waiting on some new tires to arrive tomorrow then I'll mount up the wheels. I already have a set of wheels with the previous generation of Onyx hubs though, and I wasn't expecting to feel any difference in motion with the new wheels, just lighter weight in-hand. I do LOVE the previous Onyx hubs, hence the second wheelset. Rolling through the woods totally silent is sublime. I would have a hard time going back to the loud RIIIIriiiiiRIIIIriiiii of other freewheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Mine arrived yesterday and had a quick question while setting everything up. After installing my GX cassette, I flipped over the wheel and the cassette and XD driver slid off the hub. Are their hubs non-locking? Just want to triple check that I didn't forget a step!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Call bullshit if you like. I greased these before leaving for whistler. I rode about 300 miles in the park (with a couple rain days) on this bike and this is currently what they sound like compared to a Torch hub. Maybe you ride within rivers? Or don't know what you're doing? On the trail, you can not hear them freewheel.

https://youtu.be/t12iN0yRQmo

I'm not interested in the Derbys but I'll take those hubs off your hands if you break them down.
    Denver, CO

Hitching a ride
    These Vesper hubs look really nice. I'm going to be on the prowl for a deal, hopefully build up a set in the next 18 months. My DT hubs are reliable but loud!

I'm thinking, Vesper rear, DT 350 front with Onyx stickers. There's nothing a $200 front hub can do that a $60 one can't, shrug.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    These Vesper hubs look really nice. I'm going to be on the prowl for a deal, hopefully build up a set in the next 18 months. My DT hubs are reliable but loud!

I'm thinking, Vesper rear, DT 350 front with Onyx stickers. There's nothing a $200 front hub can do that a $60 one can't, shrug.
    I'm in a similar situation. I've been using DT 350s on my bikes for some time. Love the low cost, reliability, and ease of maintenance; hate the noise.

I've been watching (and waiting) since Onyx first leaked the development of these in September 2017. At one point these were slated to be a less expensive variant of their regular hub, but it looks like that didn't pan out. It looks like they are actually more expensive when the extra cost of ceramic bearings is taken into account (not that I would get them). So I'll be on the lookout for deals as well.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Two rides so far. I love the wheels but these Martello tires blow. So slippery. Theyíre coming off immediately.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewand3 View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday and had a quick question while setting everything up. After installing my GX cassette, I flipped over the wheel and the cassette and XD driver slid off the hub. Are their hubs non-locking? Just want to triple check that I didn't forget a step!
    Thanks!
    Do you mean like this? Mine fell apart too.

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-068cdb06-2e8c-44dd-9cbd-5e586ffa5c51.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	068CDB06-2E8C-44DD-9CBD-5E586FFA5C51.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	1263059
    Yuuuup!! Exactly like that!
    I triple checked to make sure everything is seated correctly.

Nat
    mtbr member
    It caught me by surprise when the cassette and everything else fell onto the floor.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    It caught me by surprise when the cassette and everything else fell onto the floor.
    Just curious if anyone has talked with Onyx about this yet. Doesn't seem quite right, but I guess with the axle in place and everything clamped in the frame, it might not make a difference. Just curious...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakyWheel73 View Post
    Just curious if anyone has talked with Onyx about this yet. Doesn't seem quite right, but I guess with the axle in place and everything clamped in the frame, it might not make a difference. Just curious...
    I suppose I should contact them about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I just got my Onyx/Vesper wheels with TR33 rims today and set them up tubeless with new Maxxis DHF/Aggressor rubber.

Took a spin around the block and these wheels rock! Smooooth action and a truly joyful riding experience with the low drag, quiet operation, and instant engagement. Can't wait to take them out on the trails. On a side note, really digging the new Maxxis rubber as well. I can feel the extra traction/confidence even on pavement vs. my Ardents and the rolling resistance really didn't feel that much draggier.

Addressing the concerns above, I think these hubs have pressfit end caps which allows the takedown of the axle and freehub simply by removing the caps. Once mounted in the fork and bike they are rock solid and roll true.

Been waiting for these since the prototype was shown years ago and so far it has been everything I had hoped for! Will try to follow up with a trail report.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newboy04 View Post

Addressing the concerns above, I think these hubs have pressfit end caps which allows the takedown of the axle and freehub simply by removing the caps.
    Obviously. But they shouldn't just fall apart. Maybe there are O rings missing and it's a very simple fix. If not, that's garbage. You're supposed to worry about your hub internals falling into the dirt if you have to remove your wheel on the trail to insert a tube?

Bodhisattva

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	068CDB06-2E8C-44DD-9CBD-5E586FFA5C51.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	292.3 KB 
ID:	1263059
    Dude, between this and your posted inability to remove your tire from the rim, I'd say you majorly pissed off some wheel-deity.

Consider making a sacrifice to the wheel-deity in hopes of making things right. I'd start by burning a picture of FoShizzle

And to further get off topic, I have Hydras and Torch. The Hydras are a lot quieter than Torch and the pitch is also less irritating, but I wouldn't call Hydra silent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Obviously. But they shouldn't just fall apart. Maybe there are O rings missing and it's a very simple fix. If not, that's garbage. You're supposed to worry about your hub internals falling into the dirt if you have to remove your wheel on the trail to insert a tube?
    Having owned 5 sets of the legacy onyx hubs, there are no internals that are just going to "fall into the dirt" when driver is removed...the sprags are not just rattling around loosely in the hub shell. That said, my concern would be that the O-rings are not providing adequate seal to keep the bad out....

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Dude, between this and your posted inability to remove your tire from the rim, I'd say you majorly pissed off some wheel-deity.

Consider making a sacrifice to the wheel-deity in hopes of making things right. I'd start by burning a picture of FoShizzle

And to further get off topic, I have Hydras and Torch. The Hydras are a lot quieter than Torch and the pitch is also less irritating, but I wouldn't call Hydra silent.
    Ha, yeah really!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    Having owned 5 sets of the legacy onyx hubs, there are no internals that are just going to "fall into the dirt" when driver is removed...the sprags are not just rattling around loosely in the hub shell. That said, my concern would be that the O-rings are not providing adequate seal to keep the bad out....
    That is my concern as well. My DT-350s provide a really tight seal and holds the driver side in there tight. I have to give it a good yank with both hands to pop it off. There is no way the driver side would just fall out like that.

Nat -- let us know what Onyx has to say.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That is my concern as well. My DT-350s provide a really tight seal and holds the driver side in there tight. I have to give it a good yank with both hands to pop it off. There is no way the driver side would just fall out like that.

Nat -- let us know what Onyx has to say.
    That's not quite how it works. On DT hubs the drive side end cap has an o-ring (or something that acts like a detent) that keeps it from falling off. I'm sure the ratchet seal adds some resistance, but it doesn't hold the driveshell in place.

Nat
    mtbr member
    This is what I've heard from NOBL so far: "The new Vesper hubs have a press fit driver and end caps similar to DT-Swiss system. This new system doesn't feature a lock ring on the end caps like the previous version does, you're not missing any parts. The end caps and driver are deigned to come out easily, but not that easily. We've reached out to Onyx regrading the issue and we're working out a solution for you."

I'll keep you guys updated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by compengr View Post
    That's not quite how it works. On DT hubs the drive side end cap has an o-ring (or something that acts like a detent) that keeps it from falling off. I'm sure the ratchet seal adds some resistance, but it doesn't hold the driveshell in place.

Ah -- you're right. I thought the driver snapped in but it is the end cap that snaps in and holds it all together. Guess its been too long since I serviced my hubs

Nat
    mtbr member
    From NOBL: "Regarding the endcap, Onyx official word is that sometimes the O-ring doesn't seat itself properly on the axle, and therefore it doesn't bind and hold everything together. The solution is to make sure that O-ring is seated. Simply rotating and jiggling this endcap should allow it to seat correctly and then it should all hold together."

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Just finished a 10 mile sesh here in uber flat rooty terrain country where its also 91F but feels like 100F thanks to face-melting humidity.

This will be more a first impressions on my overall setup since quite a bit has changed from my previous setup so changes can't be attributed solely to the hubs since quite a bit of rotational weight came off as well. This is on a SB4.5 rig.

Old: DT Swiss M1900 with I think a 3-pawl hub and alu rims. Maxxis Ardent front and rear.
    New: Nobl TR33 with Onyx Vesper. DHF 2.3 front and Aggressor 2.3 rear.
    Overall weight change ~0 lbs

Ladies and gentlemen, the hype is real. To me, these wheels are a transformative setup. It is my first time on a sprag-based system but everything I have read about it are true. I had a lot of thoughts on the trail so I'll try to hit on some of my key findings.

1. Feel: The best way to describe the feel of this new setup is that my feet had a direct connection to the ground and the bike felt like it was on rails (better tires contribute to this as well). Almost like the ground was an extension of the gearing of the bike itself and every pedal stroke translated into direct movement. There is not much elevation change to speak of where I rode, but on the few steep ups and downs littered with roots I was able to clear these with ease whereas a combination of the lower POE/higher rotational weight of the old wheels had me struggling at times. Magic carpet ride isn't too much hyperbole is it?

2. Shifting: I feel like one of effects of sprags that I haven't seen touched on much is how it transforms the feel of the shifting and suspension. Due to the infinite POE and 'softer' engagement, my perception of the shifting operation was much smoother and less herky-jerky in relation to my pedal strokes. With the old hubs sometimes you get the harsh 'ping' when you ratchet pedals or change gears and the cadence doesn't quite match your pedal stroke and you suddenly hit the engagement points. With the Vesper the whole system feels silky smooth with enhanced shift feel.

3. Vibration: This includes frequencies in the audible spectrum and physical vibrations transmitted through the frame as well. The quietness of hub was really highlighted when I noticed rear suspension sounds and cable rattling that I had not really noticed before. Pounding through root gardens is a much different experience now that the residual noises of the hub is eliminated and all you hear is the dirt, tires, and suspension. Another effect is the lack of vibration felt through your touch points on the bike as well, which like the lack of noise you don't really notice until its not there.

4. Speed: So the net overall change of the weight of my bike was basically zero, since lighter rims were offset by heavier hubs and tires. However, the bike gathered speed much faster and cranked up steeps with much less inertia. Hauling ass on these wheels were a pleasure with the infinite POE and coasting at speed a really cool experience with silence and low drag. You can smash on the pedals at any speed and the engagement is virtually instant despite whatever perceived or actual wind-up effect that people have been writing about.

So those are most my first impressions. Durability/longevity and reliability will be revealed/proven over time so I can't comment on those now so you probably just have to extrapolate from Onyx's track record, which is as good as anyone else as far as I can tell.

I love these wheels. They are a step change over anything else I've tried and I'm glad the wait since the prototype was revealed is over and I can count myself among the Onyx/Sprag riders!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Had the orig. Onyx hubs on my Warden few years back with Nox rims, best setup Ive had. Im glad the new ones are lighter, makes me wanna get a set for my Patrol. Sick sick sick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    From NOBL: "Regarding the endcap, Onyx official word is that sometimes the O-ring doesn't seat itself properly on the axle, and therefore it doesn't bind and hold everything together. The solution is to make sure that O-ring is seated. Simply rotating and jiggling this endcap should allow it to seat correctly and then it should all hold together."
    Did you get a chance to fiddle around with the end cap? Is it fixed?

Nat
    mtbr member
    I popped off the endcap, noted the presence of the O-ring, popped the cap back on, and nothing has fallen apart after that. I guess it's fixed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Newboy4

Thanks for the detailed review. These hubs and carbon wheels will be the next upgrade on my Stache.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I popped off the endcap, noted the presence of the O-ring, popped the cap back on, and nothing has fallen apart after that. I guess it's fixed?
    Nope. It still comes apart easily. I was doing a tire change and when I was flipping the wheel around in my hands to distribute the sealant around the hub fell apart in a few pieces. One endcap went bouncing across the garage under the car so I'm glad I had eyes on it the whole time. I got an early release model so maybe they'll change something in the design to keep things tighter? Take precautions when you guys play with yours!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just finished a 10 mile sesh here in uber flat rooty terrain country where its also 91F but feels like 100F thanks to face-melting humidity.

Old: DT Swiss M1900 with I think a 3-pawl hub and alu rims. Maxxis Ardent front and rear.
    New: Nobl TR33 with Onyx Vesper. DHF 2.3 front and Aggressor 2.3 rear.
    Overall weight change ~0 lbs

Ladies and gentlemen, the hype is real. To me, these wheels are a transformative setup. It is my first time on a sprag-based system but everything I have read about it are true. I had a lot of thoughts on the trail so I'll try to hit on some of my key findings.

1. Feel: The best way to describe the feel of this new setup is that my feet had a direct connection to the ground and the bike felt like it was on rails (better tires contribute to this as well). Almost like the ground was an extension of the gearing of the bike itself and every pedal stroke translated into direct movement. There is not much elevation change to speak of where I rode, but on the few steep ups and downs littered with roots I was able to clear these with ease whereas a combination of the lower POE/higher rotational weight of the old wheels had me struggling at times. Magic carpet ride isn't too much hyperbole is it?

4. Speed: So the net overall change of the weight of my bike was basically zero, since lighter rims were offset by heavier hubs and tires. However, the bike gathered speed much faster and cranked up steeps with much less inertia. Hauling ass on these wheels were a pleasure with the infinite POE and coasting at speed a really cool experience with silence and low drag. You can smash on the pedals at any speed and the engagement is virtually instant despite whatever perceived or actual wind-up effect that people have been writing about.

So those are most my first impressions. Durability/longevity and reliability will be revealed/proven over time so I can't comment on those now so you probably just have to extrapolate from Onyx's track record, which is as good as anyone else as far as I can tell.

I love these wheels. They are a step change over anything else I've tried and I'm glad the wait since the prototype was revealed is over and I can count myself among the Onyx/Sprag riders!
    Thanks for this!!
    I think the most interesting part of your post is the fact that you noticed improved speed and rolling resistance - but that your new tires (DHF) have considerably more drag than the previous (Ardent). That says quite a thing about the performance (lack-of-friction) of the new Onyx hubs...
    Please keep posting any new insights. This has me very interested as a potential upgrade!

Too Much Fun

Good job!

This is a great write-up, and matches my experience on 3 sets of pre-Vesper Onyx hubs. Once you get used to the Onyx feel and engagement, everything else feels a bit "off", though I do actually really like the I9 Hydras too.

I'm not currently in the market for new wheels, but when the time comes I'll likely go with the Vespers, assuming the QC is solid. I don't like seeing pictures of hubs falling apart.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2019
    So I got my new wheels today! Keep in mind that I had the Ibis carbon wheelset and hubs so I wasn't expecting a big difference but I really wanted the Onyx hubs. Went on a ride and the silence is nice. I was riding behind someone for a couple mins and they had no idea I was behind them. The engagement is excellent but I didn't think it was a drastic difference. The bike felt noticeably heavier just lifting it but I also felt like it wasn't as snappy in terms of acceleration, not for sure though. I'll post updates again later.

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-2019-07-22-23_29_03-inbox-akim%40evs-eng.com-outlook.jpg

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-2019-07-22-23_29_48-photo-google-photos.jpg

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-2019-07-22-23_33_35-nvidia-geforce-overlay.jpg

I shot a video just to show the silence of the hub. You'll hear another rider at the beginning for comparison.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for your update Can you check if your hub is coming apart (too) easily?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have benefited from the info on MTBR for a long time but have posted maybe once. This is the only place on the web I could find substantive info about the new Vesper hubs. Thanks for that!

I just received a wheel set direct from Onyx. 100x15 and 142x12 with Arch rims. I emailed and eventually called to complete the order. Great service and I was happy to work with fellow Minnesotans. They answered all of my questions. It really seems like a great company.

I am looking forward to getting the rims taped and shod with new rubber. Not sure when that will happen but hopefully soon! I will post back with reports. Really looking forward to a silent ride in the woods.

Any Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-img_1186.jpgAny Onyx Vesper users yet? Reviews?-img_1184_no_meta.jpg

PS: the drive body does seem to be "captured" by the seals and indents on the axle for the endcap. It does come off with a bit of effort and no tools. Personally, I like that feature.
    I will post more when I get a cassette on it. FWIW, the SRAM Roam 40 rear hub currently on my bike drops the cassette easily too. I just try to be careful when removing the wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yo that color is fire, powdercoat orange?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yo that color is fire, powdercoat orange?
    No, the color on the picture is a bit off. They are the standard Orange Fluorescent powdercoat. The color is slightly lighter and slightly less red in reality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Such a bummer, having trouble getting my XD cassette off of my old wheels. I was hoping to be able to reuse the cassette and chain because I don't think they are quite beat yet. Alas the curse of the XD driver has me sitting with the wheels with new tires and rotors mounted but no drivetrain. Drag.

Does anyone have words of wisdom for removing stubborn XD cassettes? I have tried lost of muscle and body weight, penetrating oil. The bike shop tried a long breaker bar right before close last night. It have been sitting over night with WD-40 and whatever magic penetrating oil stuff the bike shop had (they said they had some stuff you can only get if you're a bike shop). I might try cooling it down in the freezer to see it that might help it. I'm all out of ideas.

I did weigh the wheels using my daughter's baking scale. The front (100x15 32 hole, Stan's Arch Mk3, Sapim alum nipples and Sapim Race spokes, no tape) is 834g. The rear (same specs) is 1064g. Seems reasonable to me but I don't really pay much attention to weight.

If I have to buy a new cassette, I am thinking I might switch to a HG freehub body just for ease of use. I'll cross my fingers that Onyx might let me trade an unused XD driver for and HG. I am going to search the forums for how a Shimano or Sunrace HG 11 speed hub will work with a SRAM X0 derailleur. Hate to buy another XD after this experience and all of the tales of woe I have read today.
    Last edited by tomtoday; 07-28-2019 at 04:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I am placing my order for just a rear Vesper and will have my LBS re-lace my current ENVE XC rims. I am replacing the DT-350 I started with.

My question for the new Vesper owners, particularly those coming from Gen 1 Onyx, do you recommend the ceramic hybrid bearing upgrade? From what I can tell the Gen 1s came with the hybrid ceramic as standard where it is now an upgrade option for the Vesper. For the Gen1 crowd, were they durable? Did they last? Did they require more maintenance than steel?

I ride just all XC these days on dry fireroads in the Santa Cruz mtns and tend to be a fair weather rider so I don't expect these to see mud or water crossings. Maybe the once in a while water crossing at Downieville.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The ceramic bearings that came in my original Onyx hubs are still rolling fast and smooth after about 4000 miles of abusive riding. Lots of fully loaded bikepacking on a hardtail, rain or shine, with dozens of river fords and more hard hits than I can count. Iím not sure if I can attribute the durability of the bearings to their being ceramic, but I can attest to them holding up well for me.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I did need to replace the original bearings in my gen. 1 rear hub. The mechanic at the LBS explained to me that they were a hybrid rather than a full ceramic? I never bothered to read up on different bearing types but they replaced the originals with the stainless steel bearings they had in stock since I didn't want to order ceramics and wait. Honestly I couldn't tell any difference in rolling resistance after I switched.

My Vespers have the basic s/s bearings and they feel pretty darned good. Since I couldn't tell a difference with the gen.1 hubs I decided not to upgrade to ceramic bearings in the Vespers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Generally, it seems that a "full ceramic" bearing is a bad choice for mountain biking. The issue is if the race is ceramic, rather than hardened steel, it is more brittle and a hard hit such as a big drop or a hard curb/rock hit can cause the race to crack.

A "ceramic hybrid" uses the same ceramic balls as a full ceramic but uses a hardened steel race which is still softer than the ceramic balls. While it is not subject to cracking like the full ceramic may be it is subject to more wear from the harder ceramic balls digging in and creating a deeper groove and side play over time.

Overall, however, it sounds like a hybrid ceramic can last longer and spin more freely than a steel bearing. Is it worth the $100 upgrade? Eh....maybe, maybe not. More of a personal choice as it seems as the gain from going hybrid ceramic might be minuscule.

I am no expert -- this is just from some casual internet searching but it seems legit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtoday View Post
    Does anyone have words of wisdom for removing stubborn XD cassettes?
    Maybe. I had problems once with a cassette that was installed with torque too low, that marred and gauged the spline of the XD drive. Then the cassette enters that gauging, and won't come off by breaking the torque. You may have to remove the freehub with the cassette (ok if you have the axle too), then grab the freehub with a pipe wrench and rotate in the opposite direction of the engagement. When it gets back in place, you'll be able to separate the cassette from the freehub.

For everyone else, sorry for the offtopic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I finally got in a ride this evening. I ultimately decided to go with a new XD cassette and chain. Removal of the cassette from my original wheels will be a story for another day.

My original wheels were SRAM Roam 40s (24 spoke) that came with the bike. I had Nobby Nics on them, tubeless. The tires were not new but still worked well, I thought. The new wheels are Onyx Vesper Hubs (32 spoke) laced to Arch Mk3 with Sapim Race spokes. They are 100x15 and 142x12 front and back. I added new tires - 2.4 Ardent in the front and a 2.35 Ikon in the back, tubeless. The weight difference was maybe 20 grams for both wheels. Remarkably close considering the old wheelset is 24 spokes. Not noticeable. The bike feels like new but that might be largely due to new rubber and cassette/chain. I love this bike (a 2015 Horsethief Carbon 1) and now I know I will keep it for several more years.

I purchased these direct from Onyx. The wheels are machine built but the are straight and true and properly tensioned. I ordered extra spokes and nipples. Onyx was great to work with. I initiated the order via email and paid over the phone. Super easy. They also answered many of my questions over the phone. I was a little skiddish about the hubs after dealing with the seized cassette on my old wheelset. I wanted to be sure I didn't damage this beautiful hardware. They were super helpful and understanding with my many questions. I can't say enough about how great they were.

When I finally got everything sorted, it was worth it. The local trails are great but not particularly challenging WRT terrain. That said, the ride on the new Vesper wheels was striking. The silence really made me ride a little bit differently. I was not as aware of the bike or drivetrain. I just rode. The immediate engagement was interesting for quick steep uphills and switchbacks. I think the bike climbs noticeably better. Really quite a different experience. I loved it.

There's more but I'm out. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hello,
    can't find informations on the final colors.
    Nobl announcement said that there will be more than 5colors after release but i cannot find them anywhere
    Looking for orange (like the one used by hope).
    Halp !

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You will need to contact Nobl directly for their status. If you order from Onyx directly or via your LBS you can get colors show here https://onyxrp.com/wp-content/upload...-2017-0303.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I finally got my new Vesper! Unfortunately, my LBS goofed on the order and forgot to tell Onyx that I wanted the upgraded Ceramic Hybrid bearings! Not happy but the LBS is making it right and I am just going to stay with the steel bearings. They are Enduro ABEC 5 steel bearings so they should be fine.

My first, and only, ride so far was just a quick 2 mi ride around the neighbood with a few hills so I could try out the instant engagement. I can say, it is real. There is no lag and the engagement is nice and smooth. The hub is SILENT. The annoying thing is that I now hear a slight tick-tick-tick of my brake pads just barely grazing the rear rotor.

Oh, and my drive side comes off pretty easy like other posters here have said; however, once the wheel is on the bike that makes no difference.
    Last edited by spec306; 08-13-2019 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    No, the color on the picture is a bit off. They are the standard Orange Fluorescent powdercoat. The color is slightly lighter and slightly less red in reality.
    Is that so you don't get shot during deer season?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Is the soft engagement bothersome to anyone else? I don't mind it too much on the initial stroke of the pedal but I can feel it when I'm climbing and hammering hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not seeing the new hubs on Onyx web store. Are these hubs available in CenterLock?
    Also going to likely need a BOOST 20 CL front hub.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by jbowles View Post
    Is the soft engagement bothersome to anyone else? I don't mind it too much on the initial stroke of the pedal but I can feel it when I'm climbing and hammering hard.

It's keeping you from spinning out when traction is thin. That's about the only difference it makes.

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jbowles View Post
    What is this soft engagement you speak of? I have a hub on order so I'd like to know!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What is this soft engagement you speak of? I have a hub on order so I'd like to know!
    Unlike the traditional ratchets or pawls which have positive and abrupt engagement, the sprag clutch engages by slight rotation of the sprags, which distributes the impulse over a longer period of time, resulting in the "softer" engagement. In theory anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Onyx feels slightly squishy when applying power. I love it even though I've never owned a set.
    I skipped on Vesper cause I'm a weight weenie and have good relations with my previous hub provider.

mtbr member
    Unlike the traditional ratchets or pawls which have positive and abrupt engagement, the sprag clutch engages by slight rotation of the sprags, which distributes the impulse over a longer period of time, resulting in the "softer" engagement. In theory anyway.
    With the Onyx sprag clutch the engagement feels instant and there is no perceptible lag. This is clear when playing with a bare hub by hand. However, in actual use the sprags stand up a bit under increasing torque load after engagement. Basically in normal riding the effect is like slightly pressing into a big spring. The energy is returned upon the passing of torque peaks. The effect on feel is that the edge is taken off of hard engagements and sharp torque impulses.

A few riders seem to find it offputting, or take some time getting used to it. Most seem to like it. I think this may be related to riding style, or some people are way more sensitive to this stuff than I am. For me, I didn't really notice it until it was pointed out. I just think the hubs feel very smooth and I suppose this may be a big part of why. But it is definitely there, and it is obvious when looking for it, especially if you press the cranks hard against locked brakes.

I do wonder if the smaller sprag package on the Vespers makes the effect more apparent, I have yet to hear anyone confirm this. It is my understanding that the sprag sizing on the original hubs was significantly more than adequate, thus allowing for some of the weight savings on the Vespers. The reactions I have heard to the Vespers match the generally strongly positive reactions from the originals. I have two sets of originals and they are far and away my favorite hubs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Not seeing the new hubs on Onyx web store. Are these hubs available in CenterLock?
    Also going to likely need a BOOST 20 CL front hub.
    Their web site stinks. There is a lot more information at the NOBL wheels website. You can also call them -- their number is buried in their web page but they do answer the phone and are available to chat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have the Vesper and come from DT-350, Chris King, old Hope Pro. I currently weight around 200lb with a pack and would not call the engagement "soft" but would call it "smooth". Where hard shifting on my other hubs would be abrupt and with a sharp "clang" the Onyx seems to "smooth out" the shift -- but the engagement is INSTANT!

The people that have mentioned (not necc. complain) are the real heavy weight riders or those on heavy cargo bikes or fat bikes.

I am only 3 weeks and 100mi in on XC riding and I can say these are the best hubs I have been on!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So, I just discovered something odd with the new hub. I'm not sure,yet, if this is something out of spec with the hub, cassette, or an installation issue of the e13 cassette -- going back to the LBS that built the wheel to have them diagnose.

When I got the wheel back and mounted it up I immediately had new shifting issues. Indexing was slightly off and I got chain-suck into the spokes twice. So, I went about adjusting the derailleur in the stand and that is when I noticed this new issue -- there is not enough space between the smallest cog and the derailleur hanger so the chain is just barely rubbing. It is as if the entire cassette on the new hub is shifted just slightly outward compared to when it was on my DT-350. I did not notice this when pedaling -- it was more noisy than normal and I just figured it was the derailleur needing adjustment but once I got it up on the stand it was immediately apparent.

Fortunately, I am in crappy shape and barely use the small cog right now

Anyone else seen this?

** Update -- I just noticed a gap between the 1.8mm spacer and the driver which is not supposed to be there (0.625mm with a feeler gauge) so this looks like an installation issue. That spacer should sit flush against the driver. Still gonna take it to the LBS but it does not look like an issue with the hub itself.
    Last edited by spec306; 09-06-2019 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ** Update -- I just noticed a gap between the 1.8mm spacer and the driver which is not supposed to be there (0.625mm with a feeler gauge) so this looks like an installation issue. That spacer should sit flush against the driver. Still gonna take it to the LBS but it does not look like an issue with the hub itself.
    My rear wheel shipped from Onyx with a rubber o-ring on the driver to hold the spacer in place. That needs to be removed before putting on the cassette. Maybe your LBS didn't remove that o-ring?

Nat
    mtbr member
    My rear wheel shipped from Onyx with a rubber o-ring on the driver to hold the spacer in place. That needs to be removed before putting on the cassette. Maybe your LBS didn't remove that o-ring?
    Dude... I think you just fixed my shifting! Mine was just a hair off and when I'd swap with my other wheelset I'd have to tweak the derailleur every time. After reading your post I went to the garage and removed my cassette. Sure enough there was a rubber O-ring there. I didn't even notice it before! No one told me I'd have to remove an O-ring before installing the cassette. Bam!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Dude... I think you just fixed my shifting! Mine was just a hair off and when I'd swap with my other wheelset I'd have to tweak the derailleur every time. After reading your post I went to the garage and removed my cassette. Sure enough there was a rubber O-ring there. I didn't even notice it before! No one told me I'd have to remove an O-ring before installing the cassette. Bam!
    I called Onyx to get their help in diagnosing this problem and O-ring was one of the first thing they pointed out to me. Apologies.....I should have updated the thread with this info. My LBS has the bike and will be looking for this today. I'll update the thread once I get their analysis.

NAT--did you receive any documentation with your hub that explained this? I didn't as my LBS threw out the box.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I called Onyx to get their help in diagnosing this problem and O-ring was one of the first thing they pointed out to me. Apologies.....I should have updated the thread with this info. My LBS has the bike and will be looking for this today. I'll update the thread once I get their analysis.

NAT--did you receive any documentation with your hub that explained this? I didn't as my LBS threw out the box.
    I got my wheels shipped directly to me from NOBL Wheels and I don't recall any literature within the box. Maybe there was but not that I recall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Had a few rides out on mine now and I'm loving them. The silence is a wonderful change from my previous hubs - never thought about the difference it would make to the experience until I was out there. Instant engagement and low drag are also well worth the cost and weight penalty. The "soft start" is really welcome. The only time it feels a bit odd is bail out gear on a steep climb and a low cadence. Perhaps it's just the zero lag connection letting me feel the oval chain ring. Also, once riding gets to that gear/cadence, everything feels pretty horrible anyway!

I have the xD driver. Like others, it came with the o-ring to hold the spacer on and there were no instructions in the box. I did have time to play with the hubs before building my wheels so noticed it before it became an issue.

I've just been quoted £140 for a micro spline freehub body. I thought these were supposed to work with the DT version which only costs £65. Anyone know the difference?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by onzadog View Post
    I've just been quoted £140 for a micro spline freehub body. I thought these were supposed to work with the DT version which only costs £65. Anyone know the difference?
    I had the same question. The micro spline kit from Onyx includes a different end cap, and an additional seal that they press on to the DT freehub body.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The DT comes with an end cap as well. That makes it a bloody expensive seal!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by onzadog View Post
    The DT comes with an end cap as well. That makes it a bloody expensive seal!
    I was told the end cap from Onyx is different. I'm assuming it's unique to them. Yeah, expensive. I couldn't justify going that route.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have two built up sets. they behave just like legacy onyx. if their is concern over "softer" engagement secondary to reduced sprag area, i haven't felt it [at 215lbs and having destroyed I9s and P321s]

they will, however, eject the driver and hub axle IF a cassette is mounted to the driver. only time it becomes an issue is if you are doing a trail side repair. if the hub axle lands in dirt, you get the pleasure of trying to decontaminate it trail side, or risk getting sand in the sprags.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
    only time it becomes an issue is if you are doing a trail side repair. if the hub axle lands in dirt, you get the pleasure of trying to decontaminate it trail side, or risk getting sand in the sprags.
    Or if the cap on the other end of the assembly bounces across the garage, under a car, then comes to rest beneath a shelf loaded with stuff. Not sure how I know about that...

mtbr member
    I don't have one of these hubs but I had to pitch in to the durability of the Onyx hubs.
    We have Onxy 36h hubs on our mountain tandem. Fully loaded for bikepacking (food, water, everything else) our tandem comes in a bit over 90#. Our team weight is 340, so we have about 430# when we are moving.

Our rear Onxy hub has been one of the most rock solid components that we have with our build. The sprag clutch has never slipped and the hubs in general have proven themselves to be bulletproof.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hello,
    there is some delay on delivery and onyx is offering the old design with the upgraded alloy freehub if i don't want to wait.
    Thoughts on this?
    It is for my enduro bike in 27.5, main usage will be bikepark
    Cheers

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tirrorex View Post
    Hello,
    there is some delay on delivery and onyx is offering the old design with the upgraded alloy freehub if i don't want to wait.
    Thoughts on this?
    Cheers
    Take the deal. For a park bike you wonít notice the weight difference and the old design is stronger. NOBL even states that the older design is more suitable for DH. Scroll down to the paragraph titled ďInstant Engagement.Ē

https://noblwheels.com/the-all-new-onyx-vesper/

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Take the deal. For a park bike you wonít notice the weight difference and the old design is stronger. NOBL even states that the older design is more suitable for DH. Scroll down to the paragraph titled ďInstant Engagement.Ē

https://noblwheels.com/the-all-new-onyx-vesper/
    Well i will also use it a lot to ride a round with lots of pedaling but i won't go easy on my bike in the bikeparks

Yeah i read that too, but i think that the upgraded freehub changes things?

I have no clue what they mean by "upgraded alloy freehub" though :/
    Do i save weight?
    Does it have the same durability?
    I have no clue :/

Nat
    mtbr member
    I have an older wheelset set up for park with the original hub design (alloy freehub), DH casing tires, and a tire insert. I recently went on a bike trip during which I rode park but also some steep, extended climbing. I thought Iíd hate pedaling up with those heavy wheels but I got used to them and wasnít missing the lighter wheels with the Vespers that I left at home. I was glad to have the extra durability and dependability of my DH wheels when blasting down hill.

Alloy freehub is a bit lighter than the steel. Durability might be less but mine is still good even after a couple of years of hard DH and enduro style riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have an older wheelset set up for park with the original hub design (alloy freehub), DH casing tires, and a tire insert. I recently went on a bike trip during which I rode park but also some steep, extended climbing. I thought Iíd hate pedaling up with those heavy wheels but I got used to them and wasnít missing the lighter wheels with the Vespers that I left at home. I was glad to have the extra durability and dependability of my DH wheels when blasting down hill.

Alloy freehub is a bit lighter than the steel. Durability might be less but mine is still good even after a couple of years of hard DH and enduro style riding.
    I see, thanks for the clarification mate, appreciate it

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hello,
    Thoughts on this?
    Cheers
    My LBS received my Vesper in 1 week from the time they ordered it. Not bad since I am in NorCal and Onyx is in Minnesota.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    My LBS received my Vesper in 1 week from the time they ordered it. Not bad since I am in NorCal and Onyx is in Minnesota.
    The delay is related to one of the manufacturers, nothing they can do about it unfortunatly...
    It's not a shipping delay per say

And by delay i mean 2 to 3 weeks

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    One thing to keep in mind is the original hubs aren't compatible with Shimano micro spline, so if one had plans to use the Shimano 12 speed stuff this may not be a good option. This is due to limited Shimano licensing, which is likely, and hopefully, a temporary issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The delay is related to one of the manufacturers, nothing they can do about it unfortunatly...
    It's not a shipping delay per say

And by delay i mean 2 to 3 weeks
    Delay? Is that something new? Like I stated, I got mine within one week. Keeping in mind the order processing time, then ground shipping, I would say that 1 week is pretty good!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Yea Onyx sent out an email last week saying any vesper hubs that didn't already ship will have 2-3 week delay, they offered the classic hub with alloy driver for no upcharge to the vesper customers who can't wait.

mtbr member
    One thing to keep in mind is the original hubs aren't compatible with Shimano micro spline, so if one had plans to use the Shimano 12 speed stuff this may not be a good option. This is due to limited Shimano licensing, which is likely, and hopefully, a temporary issue.
    They have Microspline conversion kits in production for the classic hubs, to be available very soon. These will use DT Swiss freehubs. Next year they may make their own version with the new Shimano license policy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by adurant View Post
    Yea Onyx sent out an email last week saying any vesper hubs that didn't already ship will have 2-3 week delay, they offered the classic hub with alloy driver for no upcharge to the vesper customers who can't wait.
    I have to say i feel like they ripped me off.
    Had some vesper ordered with ceramic bearing (160$ extra for both hubs) but i accepted their switch offer since i needed those asap to go on vacations.
    One would assume 160$ should be given back as the offer was for hubs with classing bearings...
    They refunded only 80pounds...
    I can promise you guys they will never see my money again.

Money is no issue here, i couldn't care less about the difference and i would've gladly paid it.
    I just have principles and when you say something, you stick to it, otherwise better not run your mouth in the first place

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Anybody knows where can I buy a 12/142 Vesper hub?
    Can't find it anywhere..

Hitching a ride
    You special order it through your LBS, and then maybe Onyx will take time off from making tractor parts or selling goat feed to machine you one, in a few weeks or months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Seriously. There's no way I can purchase one online?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    You can purchase one online. The process is going to be the same as going through your LBS.

Hitching a ride
    Maybe call Nobl?

I have my Vesper laced up, just need to put a tire on it and go for a ride. With the superlight 30mm carbon rim, it came in at 882g for the rear. Not great, not terrible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    I live in Tel Aviv. My LBS don't know who or what Onyx is. Ordering online is my only option. Anybody got a link? Can you please elaborate on "the process" of ordering?

Hitching a ride
    Got my Vesper built up, went on a few rides. Simply magical. My bike disappeared, in the sense of no noise and no throttle lag. Now other things are starting to annoy me. I have a saddle creak I didn't notice before. That's going to have to get fixed. But, magical. I'll be buying more for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got my Vesper built up, went on a few rides. Simply magical. My bike disappeared, in the sense of no noise and no throttle lag. Now other things are starting to annoy me. I have a saddle creak I didn't notice before. That's going to have to get fixed. But, magical. I'll be buying more for sure.
    LOL.....I have the same problem. My left shoe squeaks on my TIME pedal. Never noticed that one before. Squeak squeak squeak.........every pedal stroke

Ole
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    LOL.....I have the same problem. My left shoe squeaks on my TIME pedal. Never noticed that one before. Squeak squeak squeak.........every pedal stroke

Your old hubs made noise while pedalling?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I came from a noisy DT-350 with the 36T star ratchet which made so much noise, in general, that it masked all the other little noises my bike makes like my shoe squeaking on my pedal.

Now that I have a dead silent Onyx hub I can hear all the other little noises.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I came from a noisy DT-350 with the 36T star ratchet which made so much noise, in general, that it masked all the other little noises my bike makes like my shoe squeaking on my pedal.

Now that I have a dead silent Onyx hub I can hear all the other little noises.
    I think Ole was emphasizing the while pedaling part, as in when you're engaging the hub and not freewheeling. No hubs should be noisy then.

Yeah, every little creak, pop, and click becomes more evident when you don't have a loud ratchet to fill the air with sound. The other day I was even noticing the sound of the fabric on my pants, lol.

Bodhisattva
    I ride with a friend who is hyper aware (and hyper irritated by) bike noise, to the point of obsession.

he recently bought Onyx wheels and loves them. However, now I have to hear his constant complaining about his brake pads rattling and fork creaking. Therefore, his wheel upgrade has detracted from my ride experience

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    I ride with a friend who is hyper aware (and hyper irritated by) bike noise, to the point of obsession.

he recently bought Onyx wheels and loves them. However, now I have to hear his constant complaining about his brake pads rattling and fork creaking. Therefore, his wheel upgrade has detracted from my ride experience
    Haha! You should get him some noise cancelling earbuds for a gift. Or buy them for yourself, whichever works, lol.

I'll admit that I can't stand extraneous noises from my bike either. The little shing-shing-shing as my slightly warped rotor touches my brake pads is my current nemesis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think Ole was emphasizing the while pedaling part, as in when you're engaging the hub and not freewheeling. No hubs should be noisy then.

Yeah, every little creak, pop, and click becomes more evident when you don't have a loud ratchet to fill the air with sound. The other day I was even noticing the sound of the fabric on my pants, lol.
    Well.....truth be told, My DT-350 was LONG overdue for bearing replacement and they were noisy all the time -- even after lubing the star ratchet. The bearings felt like there were rocks in them

LOL about the slightly warped brake rotor.......I just replaced my rear as the noise was bugging me. My front is just slightly warped but not bad enough to bug me -- yet.

Bodhisattva
    Haha! You should get him some noise cancelling earbuds for a gift. Or buy them for yourself, whichever works, lol.

I'll admit that I can't stand extraneous noises from my bike either. The little shing-shing-shing as my slightly warped rotor touches my brake pads is my current nemesis.
    you need floating rotors

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the squeaky wheel View Post
    you need floating rotors
    lol

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    I'm in the same boat, and it doesn't make any sense. I hate the sound of my chain scraping on the adjacent cog when I pedal and my creaky seat. These things didn't bother me before sweet coasting silence, but now they do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I found Cycle Wheel USA is offering an attractive price on an Onyx Vesper Stans MK3 build starting at $822. Cycle Wheel also tapes the rim, provides valves and free shipping. I ordered the Crest MK3 Wheel with Sapin Race double-butted spokes and brass nipples for $822. They also can build a CWUSA carbon wheel version from $985.

Here is the link:

https://cyclewheelsusa.com/product/o...tans-mk3-rims/

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kopavi View Post
    ... I ordered the Crest MK3 Wheel with Sapin Race double-butted spokes and brass nipples ...
    My choice of rim also. Can you say what's the weight with these spokes and nipples?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DogThree View Post
    My choice of rim also. Can you say what's the weight with these spokes and nipples?
    I just ordered and can provide the weight to you when I receive the wheels. I like the Stans Crest and have had a good experience with them for many miles. I believe they are one of the lighter wheels you can purchase. Dave at CWUSA can also build an Onyx Vesper hub on other wheels, his website just shows the Stans.

When I built the same wheelset on Pro Wheel Builder the weight came in at 909.76g Rear and 677.76g for the front. Slightly different spokes were used Sapin CX Sprint on PWB and Sapin Race on CWUSA. The PWB price was 35% higher at $1,113.

mtbr member
    Got my Vespers built up in a TR33 wheelset by NOBL. The anodized blue is a great color, btw.

I've been riding Chris King for the past 10+ years and didn't realize I was missing engagement until I rode the Vespers. Having that extra engagement is great on techy climbs (in addition to the oval chainring that I installed at the same time). The wheels spin like the Chris Kings never did and without lateral play.

But yeah, now you hear everything else going on with your bike. Instead of the hub now I hear the suspension doing its thing.

I truly believe this is where hub tech will end up going. Engagement, simplicity, perfect.
    Pivot Mach429

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the new Vesper Hubs are available in centerlock? Information seems to be a little sparce...

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Yes they are, they weren't available until about a month ago. I got mine built with berd spokes on chinese carbon rims and absolutely love them.