Another spoke length rounding question-> one outlier..?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    224

    Another spoke length rounding question-> one outlier..?

    I'm building up my first set of LB rims, my third wheelset i've built myself, and was hoping to get some advise on spoke length. My numbers are close enough i was hoping id be able to get away with one length spoke but wanted to get some options.

    Think I'd be alright with one box of 291mm or possibly 290mm dt super comps?? :

    actual measured erd for both rims: 596 - 32hole, 3x

    Front - Dt 240 CL 15mm ta:
    left: 289.90 mm
    right: 291.50 mm

    Rear - DT 240 6 bolt 142 ta:
    Left: 289.00 mm
    right: 289.10 mm

    I think it will work out ok but cant decide between 290 and 291mm..??

    Options in general..?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236

    Re: Another spoke length rounding question-> one outlier..?

    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    I'm building up my first set of LB rims, my third wheelset i've built myself, and was hoping to get some advise on spoke length. My numbers are close enough i was hoping id be able to get away with one length spoke but wanted to get some options.

    Think I'd be alright with one box of 291mm or possibly 290mm dt super comps?? :

    actual measured erd for both rims: 596 - 32hole, 3x

    Front - Dt 240 CL 15mm ta:
    left: 289.90 mm
    right: 291.50 mm

    Rear - DT 240 6 bolt 142 ta:
    Left: 289.00 mm
    right: 289.10 mm

    I think it will work out ok but cant decide between 290 and 291mm..??

    Options in general..?

    Thanks!
    If I had those numbers come up for a wheel set I would use all 290mm. YMMV
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,991
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    left: 289.90 mm
    right: 291.50 mm
    Left: 289.00 mm
    right: 289.10 mm
    I'd go with -

    289.90 mm - 290.
    291.50 mm - 292.
    289.00 mm - 290.
    289.10 mm - 290.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    If I had those numbers come up for a wheel set I would use all 290mm. YMMV
    This is what i was hoping to hear from somone so i could cheap out $40 bucks.. just slightly leary of the 1.5mm diff on the front right.. at least its on the front wheel i guess...

  5. #5
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    I'd go with -

    289.90 mm - 290.
    291.50 mm - 292.
    289.00 mm - 290.
    289.10 mm - 290.
    So would I.
    You're not going to save money buying all one length unless you are just looking at one source, in which case you're probably overpaying anyway.
    Also, forget the S.Comps and get Wheelsmith DB14s or Sapim D-Lights.
    S.Comps are overpriced.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  6. #6
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,991
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    This is what i was hoping to hear from somone so i could cheap out $40 bucks.. .
    Maybe you're not buying your spokes at the right place - on that will sell you exactly the sizes and numbers you need.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    224
    yeah the super comps are over priced typically, but i've had excellent luck with them for years.. and at the moment i can get a one length box of 72 for $100 shipped.. if i buy 16 more loose its gonna be ~$2ea + shipping.. but i should prob suck it up and get the 16 longer ones..

    Where do you buy your db14's and d-lights??
    nobody local has any reasonable prices.. so online it is for me..

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Maybe you're not buying your spokes at the right place - on
    that will sell you exactly the sizes and numbers you need.
    and thanks for the reply Mike T, i've read your wheel building page many times in the past, very helpful, thanks!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    817
    Come on man, just buy the right length. You've got how many hundreds of dollars in the hubs and rims, and you're going to cut corners on spokes??

    Plenty of places to buy the exact length you need in the exact quantity you need. Talk to a wheelbuilder, many would sell you spokes. Wheels Manufacturing also sells single spokes.

    Where did you measure the ERD to, the bottom of the nipple slot or the tip top of the nipple? I measure to the top of the nipple, and if that's what you did, I'd use:

    289.90 mm - 290.
    291.50 mm - 292.
    289.00 mm - 289.
    289.10 mm - 289.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    224
    Yeah yeah I think im convinced.. Might go with d-lights now from the link on Mikes T's site (BikeHubStore.com). unless someone's got a better option..

    I measured erd from the bottom of the slot, because the threads do not continue through the slot (on the dt nipples i have at least..) The slot is 1mm however, so if you wanted to include it, the erd is 598, vs 596..

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    817
    If you measured to the bottom of the slot you really don't want to round down much if you're using alloy nipples, the spoke needs to at LEAST, at a MINIMUM, be flush with the bottom of the slot. If it's too short, the spoke heads will break off. Flush with the top of the nipple is ideal. The spoke can stick out the top of the nipple about 1mm before you run out of threads.

    Knowing where you measured the ERD to, you could bump my numbers up 1mm and be good. Don't go down though.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    224
    thanks for the advice.

    Do you happen to have any experience with the Sapim d-lights?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    817
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    thanks for the advice.

    Do you happen to have any experience with the Sapim d-lights?
    Nope, I use mostly DT Swiss spokes. But I use the Wheelsmith DB14's some, which are the same dimensions (within 0.05mm anyhow) as the D-Lights. Nothing special about them as far as building goes.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    862
    D-Lights are special. In a good way. The thicker part of the spoke is all threaded. It means that if the spoke is slightly too long you will not run out of threads. If you go with D-Lights you can round the spoke lengths up.

  15. #15
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,991
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    and thanks for the reply Mike T, i've read your wheel building page many times in the past, very helpful, thanks!
    You're welcome. I appreciate the thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Spoke lenght rounding
    By sancycling in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
  2. wheel building -- rounding length of spokes
    By sixteenornumber in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 03:45 AM
  3. SuperComp spoke lenght rounding
    By slims in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 05:09 PM
  4. Spoke length question?
    By MaddSquirrel in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM
  5. Spoke rounding
    By Hynam in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 04:54 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.