mtbr member
    Jun 2018

another crash -Tire Advice Needed

This time due to bald inappropriate tyres, was racing and lucky I didn't get hurt, came off three times in the end...

I'm running Maxxis Ikon EXO TR as standard tubeless tyres that came with my Giant Anthem 2 29er 2018... I've found them super fast which I love as I try and do 80km on a saturday (mix of roads, fire tracks and trails) but in a really muddy event at the weekend it was dangerous.

Really confused as what to get, my head is spinning.

was looking at Magic Mary front and was going to get a NN rea but seems like the new ones review badly?

I've not fitted tubeless myself so am worried by vigilante tyres as I've read they are difficult to fit which will be a nightmare if I have to insert a tube whilst out. Are they that bad to fit?

I don't want anything to draggy not sure where to start.

Thanks for any advice.

Barely in control
    Vittoria Barzo G+ and Conti Cross King are good all rounder tires, but you're not going to find a good mud tire that has that super fast straight line speed you like.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Ideally, you should have a separate set of tires for mud events. Otherwise you're just going to suffer.
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

mtbr member
    If you've been happy with the Ikons, why switch?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    +1 for Conti XC tires.

Also check out the the Kenda Booster. It's looks like a great XC tire. https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-eu/...athon/booster/

Bontrager XR2 and XR4 are great XC options.

If you want a bigger option, the McFly is a great rear tire.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Ideally, you should have a separate set of tires for mud events. Otherwise you're just going to suffer.
    I don't have a spare set of wheels and that's the only feasible way to have a spare set of tubeless tyres ready to go. Bearing this in mind my compromise is a set of winter tyres that whilst aren't as fast as the ikons are much better in the mud... A set for each conditions would be best I agree

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltdan12a View Post
    If you've been happy with the Ikons, why switch?
    in the dry flat conditions they have been excellent but on wet roots and mud they are dangerous (in my hands). I might however buy another set for the summer

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Vittoria Barzo G+ and Conti Cross King are good all rounder tires, but you're not going to find a good mud tire that has that super fast straight line speed you like.

this is my fear and I know that's the reality... I need something that ins't dangerous in the mud as these are the conditions now presenting themselves. Is the muddy mary that slow? Was hoping this on the front and something a bit quicker on the back would be the balancing point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Vittoria Barzo G+ and Conti Cross King review well for XC race tyres... The Gato seems quite well suited to wet conditions. Would these work well as a rear with either a nobby nic or Magic Mary front? I guess reading reviews I got a little nervous as they said a lot of XC riders avoid the wet!!! Here in the UK I'm going to have 3+ months of slippy roots and occasional muddy tracks.

mtbr member
    That seems like a really big jump going from the Ikons to what you're considering, I would suggest sticking to a more XC oriented tyre that can handle loose and mud better, something like the Maxxis Forekaster. The FK is still a quite light tyre, but has a more more open tread design to better penetrate down into mud and to also help clear it easier. They also roll really good and work very well in other, normal dry trail conditions.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbpete
    If you wan't traction it's probably not a good ideal to make too much of a trade off in knob height. The Schwable nobby nic is a great tire and even though it has decent size nobs rolling resistance test shows that it still has good rolling resistance. A lot of rolling resistance has to do with the tire casing. It's not all the knobs or rubber compound.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Chuck a Nobby Nic on front and you'll be right. They roll great for how much grip they give.

EAT MORE GRIME
    plain and simple, get the tires the podium is using
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Maxxis Forekaster, Bontrager XR3 team issue, or Specialized Ground Control Gripton. These are aggressive XC tires - still pretty decent rolling speed but designed for less than favorable conditions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GRPABT1 View Post
    Chuck a Nobby Nic on front and you'll be right. They roll great for how much grip they give.
    I agree with this advice. The Nobby Nic is a great front tire for XC. They grip way better than the Ikon in the turns and roll just as fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    I agree with this advice. The Nobby Nic is a great front tire for XC. They grip way better than the Ikon in the turns and roll just as fast.
    the new ones with the blue line on them don't seem to come out favourably... would people look for the nobby nic on the front and something like the Forekaster on the rear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sanch3z_77 View Post
    Vittoria Barzo G+ and Conti Cross King review well for XC race tyres... The Gato seems quite well suited to wet conditions. Would these work well as a rear with either a nobby nic or Magic Mary front? I guess reading reviews I got a little nervous as they said a lot of XC riders avoid the wet!!! Here in the UK I'm going to have 3+ months of slippy roots and occasional muddy tracks.
    Gato get good reviews but lots of people are saying they are a pig to fit tubeless and once on you will struggle to get off in the field. For this reason I can't risk being caught out.

mtbpete
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    plain and simple, get the tires the podium is using
    Get the lungs the podium is using. That will go a lot further than tire choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    So are you looking for one set of tires that works in all conditions or will you be switching out for mud tires during the last wet season? It wasn't clear because you said you don't have spare wheels but would "compromise" with a set of winter tires.

mtbr member
    +1 for the Nobby Nic, a 2.25 should suit your requirements...

...or a 2.35 of you're really keen for extra grip.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Get the lungs the podium is using. That will go a lot further than tire choice.
    true but asking about 'what tire' I'd think whatever is winning is a good choice
    definitely not a bad choice
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestmtb View Post
    So are you looking for one set of tires that works in all conditions or will you be switching out for mud tires during the last wet season? It wasn't clear because you said you don't have spare wheels but would "compromise" with a set of winter tires.
    Sorry, I don't have a spare set of wheels (yet) so will replace my ikons with winter tyres that I will put on now for the next 4-5 months. I'll then consider another set of new ikons for the summer as I love their speed and were fine until it got slippy and muddy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    these are the latest ones...

quite expensive at £82 a pair...

Wiggle | Schwalbe Nobby Nic Addix SnakeSkin Folding MTB Tyre | Tyres

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    so now I have to look at tyre widths. My anthem is 21" inner and runs Ikons @ 2.2... do I need to stick to this width? Is it best to go for something wider in the winter? Options seem limited at 2.2

Been really pleased with the Ikons so was considering:

Front:Maxxis Minion DHF EXO TR 29" Folding Tyre 2.3

Rear: Maxxis Forekaster MTB Tyre - TR - EXO 29 2.35

mtbr member
    Your rims are a little narrow for my tastes, but people were running 2.5" tyres on that width rims for years until the roadie thinking went out the window. I think that would be a good setup, I ran that when I ran the FK, could also consider doing a 2.35" Fk in the front and 2.2" in the rear if your frame doesn't have the clearance. If you do have the clearance, could go FK 2.35" rear and 2.6" front How much room do you have around your current tyres?

so now I have to look at tyre widths. My anthem is 21" inner and runs Ikons @ 2.2... do I need to stick to this width? Is it best to go for something wider in the winter? Options seem limited at 2.2

mtbr member
    You can exceed the limits of any tire. The better the tire, the faster you'll be going when you crash.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Your rims are a little narrow for my tastes, but people were running 2.5" tyres on that width rims for years until the roadie thinking went out the window. I think that would be a good setup, I ran that when I ran the FK, could also consider doing a 2.35" Fk in the front and 2.2" in the rear if your frame doesn't have the clearance. If you do have the clearance, could go FK 2.35" rear and 2.6" front How much room do you have around your current tyres?
    I have a Giant Anthem 2 2018 29er and these are the standard wheels, assume built for speed which i'm ok with, just need something a bit more capable but still fast for the winter. I look to have 7mm clearance around either side and top of both front and back. Didn't know if it was weird going wider on the rear than the front? Not dying for super wide tyres as guess they are slower but what do I know? I've shown in this thread very little

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Maybe two FK are easier... just concerned they might be slow as a pair... is the FK actually a better front tyre and something else for the rear?

mtbr member
    Compared to a Ikon, the FK will be a much more appropriate tyre in those conditions, the open tread pattern will let it dig in and clear mud well. Assuming you're wanting to stay with a light weight XCish setup, I h9onestly can't think of anything better suited than dual FK F&R and if a 2.35" will fit in the rear do them F&R, if not a 2.2" should do the job out back.

My experience with them is that I thought they were quite quick rolling, not much draggier than an Ikon of the same width to be honest, guessing in part to the fact that they are DC and the Ikon was 3C. As I said ran it in the back paired with a DHF in the front for some good trail riding in lots of mixed conditions, mainly dry, some wet, good all around tyre if you don't know what you'll be getting.

Maybe two FK are easier... just concerned they might be slow as a pair... is the FK actually a better front tyre and something else for the rear?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    You can exceed the limits of any tire. The better the tire, the faster you'll be going when you crash.
    Yeah, you can always stay home and just crash on the couch instead

Cute forum quips donít really help the situation much though.

Going to be in mud, gotta have mud capable tires. Not much you can about that other than crashing on the dirt or couch otherwise. You might even do all three with the order in which they occur being the only question, thatís life.

mtbr member

You really need 2 sets of tires. Wet weather and dry conditions. Looking for a single tire to do all you are going to have to give up something....rolling resistance or traction.

I am going thru the same sort of scenario.....I had always used Racing Ralphs and since no longer racing I wanted a tire with a bit more traction so changed to Nobby Nic's....this was a few years ago/prior tubeless specific tires. Loved the Nobby Nics. Bike has sat for about 4 years and started MTBing again. NN's had some dry rot so needed to replace them. I bought some of the new tubeless specific NN (which have a different tread pattern) and they were pretty much impossible to mount on my rims (Old Stan 355 ZRT's).....returned the NN's. Just bought a Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 to use as a front tire - was able to mount by hand and inflate with a regular floor pump.
    Now I just need to decide on a new rear tire. Leaning toward same Ardent Race 2.2 in the rear....maybe Icon or???? I'm shying away from Schwalbe due to the possible mounting difficulty. Maxxis seems like the best option if you want the potential to add a tube out in the woods.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have a Rekon front and Ardent Race rear pair, both in 2.6WT on i31mm, and can confirm they wonít be going anywhere in mud conditions except maybe down the hard way. Work fairly well as a general all-around tire in most other non-clinging conditions though. Unmount fairly easy using the stand on the deflated tire while pulling the rim up method. Seal up and seat ok if you take the time to flex out and position the sidewalls outward, but Iíve only inflated them with a joeblow boost charger floor pump. They do snap in at fairly low psig if the bead seats are positioned properly to seal. They seal and hold pressure well running tubeless.