anodising spokes - good idea or bad idea?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    gone for a bike ride
    Reputation: culturesponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,973

    anodising spokes - good idea or bad idea?

    thinking about anodising white a 72 count box of DT Swiss Revolution spokes for my 1st wheelbuild

    i'm wondering if the process might be detrimental to the spokes durability?

    any thoughts

    thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    522
    How do you anodise stainless steel spokes?
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

  3. #3
    gone for a bike ride
    Reputation: culturesponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,973
    it was just a (uneducated) thought, i have some (alloy) componants ready for anodising at a local company

    currrently doing some more research, apparently DT spokes can by dyed but only ferrous metals can be anodised

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    522
    I don't believe anodizing is applicable to ferrous metals though it is a common process on aluminum. One source said:

    "Anodic films are most commonly applied to protect aluminium alloys, although processes also exist for titanium, zinc, magnesium, and niobium. This process is not a useful treatment for iron or carbon steel because these metals exfoliate when oxidized."
    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

  5. #5
    gone for a bike ride
    Reputation: culturesponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,973
    me neither! i feel a twit for starting this thread.

    http://www.pfonline.com/articles/pfd0025.html

    just found this article, description sounds like the coating on the black DT Competition Spokes of my last wheelset "black copper"

    ...now only have to find a process that produces a white coating (or start saving up for white Competion spokes - argh, $7 each).

  6. #6
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    me neither! i feel a twit for starting this thread.

    http://www.pfonline.com/articles/pfd0025.html

    just found this article, description sounds like the coating on the black DT Competition Spokes of my last wheelset "black copper"

    ...now only have to find a process that produces a white coating (or start saving up for white Competion spokes - argh, $7 each).
    Powder coating is the only way you will get white. Would be cheaper to buy the white DTs than to have it done.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    thinking about anodising white a 72 count box of DT Swiss Revolution spokes for my 1st wheelbuild

    i'm wondering if the process might be detrimental to the spokes durability?

    any thoughts

    thanks
    Can not be done.

    I would not recommend using Revos for your first build. The are MUCH tougher to build well than thicker spokes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    gone for a bike ride
    Reputation: culturesponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,973
    ...found this spray on aerosol product

    Sonapen DP800+

    White developer for use with VP600+

    The Sonapen dye penetrant system is sensitive enough to test components or structures for surface defects such as micro-porosity and the finest of surface breaking defect (cracks), normally invisible to the naked eye. The penetrant system is widely used for testing Non -Ferrous components, including Austenitic Stainless Steel, as well as Leak Testing of Ferrous Tank Fabrication.

    http://www.sonatest.com/products/sin...apendp800.html

    Designed to operate from 5 - 50C
    Store in secure and dry conditions, optimum storage temperature 200C.
    Shelf Life: Aerosols - 18 months; Bulk range - 3 years.

    ...might test it on a stunt spoke before ruining a whole box, lots more research to do!

  9. #9
    gone for a bike ride
    Reputation: culturesponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Can not be done.

    I would not recommend using Revos for your first build. The are MUCH tougher to build well than thicker spokes.
    was hoping to afford ZTR 355 rims also - your right shiggy, prob best to forget it & go to a pro builder + might well be alot cheaper in the long run

    ...after watching the FOCUS roadbikes on the telly all summer - i'm lusting after white aero spokes with back rims & hubs

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    ...found this spray on aerosol product

    Sonapen DP800+

    White developer for use with VP600+

    The Sonapen dye penetrant system is sensitive enough to test components or structures for surface defects such as micro-porosity and the finest of surface breaking defect (cracks), normally invisible to the naked eye. The penetrant system is widely used for testing Non -Ferrous components, including Austenitic Stainless Steel, as well as Leak Testing of Ferrous Tank Fabrication.

    http://www.sonatest.com/products/sin...apendp800.html

    Designed to operate from 5 - 50C
    Store in secure and dry conditions, optimum storage temperature 200C.
    Shelf Life: Aerosols - 18 months; Bulk range - 3 years.

    ...might test it on a stunt spoke before ruining a whole box, lots more research to do!
    That is a testing product, not a color coat.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    gone for a bike ride
    Reputation: culturesponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by culturesponge
    ...found this spray on aerosol product

    Sonapen DP800+

    White developer for use with VP600+

    The Sonapen dye penetrant system is sensitive enough to test components or structures for surface defects such as micro-porosity and the finest of surface breaking defect (cracks), normally invisible to the naked eye. The penetrant system is widely used for testing Non -Ferrous components, including Austenitic Stainless Steel, as well as Leak Testing of Ferrous Tank Fabrication.

    http://www.sonatest.com/products/sin...apendp800.html

    Designed to operate from 5 - 50C
    Store in secure and dry conditions, optimum storage temperature 200C.
    Shelf Life: Aerosols - 18 months; Bulk range - 3 years.

    ...might test it on a stunt spoke before ruining a whole box, lots more research to do!
    __________________


    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That is a testing product, not a color coat.
    i wouldn't pass over a product just because of its normal application - like i said lots more research to do.

  12. #12
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by culturesponge
    ...found this spray on aerosol product

    Sonapen DP800+

    White developer for use with VP600+

    The Sonapen dye penetrant system is sensitive enough to test components or structures for surface defects such as micro-porosity and the finest of surface breaking defect (cracks), normally invisible to the naked eye. The penetrant system is widely used for testing Non -Ferrous components, including Austenitic Stainless Steel, as well as Leak Testing of Ferrous Tank Fabrication.

    http://www.sonatest.com/products/sin...apendp800.html

    Designed to operate from 5 - 50C
    Store in secure and dry conditions, optimum storage temperature 200C.
    Shelf Life: Aerosols - 18 months; Bulk range - 3 years.

    ...might test it on a stunt spoke before ruining a whole box, lots more research to do!
    __________________




    i wouldn't pass over a product just because of its normal application - like i said lots more research to do.
    Not a color coat as in it does NOT permanently change the color of the tested item.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  13. #13
    gone for a bike ride
    Reputation: culturesponge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not a color coat as in it does NOT permanently change the color of the tested item.
    chill shiggy, no need to shout

    ...go have a look in the fridge for a nice cold beer

    ciao

  14. #14
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    chill shiggy, no need to shout

    ...go have a look in the fridge for a nice cold beer

    ciao
    OK I am done. Go ahead and waste your time and money on something that has nothing at all to do with what you are looking for.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    233
    Yeah Shiggy, quit yelling at the guy.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.